Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
IT CAAAAAAAAME FROM DOMAAAAAAAAIN

https://www.domain.com.au/news/why-young-sydneysiders-are-starting-businesses-rather-than-trying-to-buy-homes-20170520-gw8pso/

The national debate about millennials and their money may have been reduced to a brunch dish, but many young people are becoming more interested in how to grow wealth, rather than talking about how it’s spent.

Smashed avocado aside, without gifts or inheritance there are limited ways people can grow the wealth required to buy Sydney property in 2017. Interest rates are at historic lows and wage growth has flatlined.

Launching a business, although high risk, is one way money experts say it’s possible to turn a small amount of savings into something more substantial. A growing number of millennials have turned to entrepreneurship in a shaky job market, but against the backdrop of rocketing house prices, many see business and property as a fork in the financial road.

CAN'T INVEST IN HOUSES, BEST START A BUSINESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav posted:

I summon unlimited water

Critical failure, Queensland water lacks fluoride.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

What the gently caress, that's my house in the water.

Look at this Boomer with water views complaining :rolleyes:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
IT CAAAAAAAME

FROM DOMAAAAAAAAIN...'s owners opinion pages

http://www.smh.com.au/business/motley-fool/what-if-property-isnt-as-expensive-as-we-think-20170522-gwar4o.html

What if property isn’t as expensive as we think?

Put down those smashed avocados and grab your pitchforks. Warm up the tar and gather the feathers. I'm about to suggest something that may well see me banned from inner-city cafes for life.

What if housing really isn't as expensive as it seems?

What? Are you mad? Haven't you seen the record prices? The mortgage stress? Another bloody Baby Boomer telling us to stop eating out and save our money?

Before I get started, then, a disclaimer: I'm not a Boomer. I'm Gen X (remember us?). And I have a mortgage, and kids who'll someday need to buy their own places. And I'm not going to suggest property is cheap, or even that it's worth buying.

But it occurred to me recently that, looked at logically, it just might not be as expensive as you think.

It then goes on about how interest rates being low means property is cheaper compared to when it was cheaper for the block but interest rates were high. This is based on no math but a quote from Warren Buffett.

Here is said genius, an investment spruiker: http://www.fool.com.au/author/scottphillips/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bogan King posted:

Click the pic!

Go on! Click the pic!

Oh my loving God

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Mind you, as Krauss felt his body being penetrated by the Prophet’s shrapnel of nuts, bolts and nails, those goitered eyes might in their last glimmering have caught a glimpse of vindication.

A blast of Manchester dimensions must surely knock over the studio’s lunchroom refrigerator.  Allah only knows how many innocent lives that shocking incident might claim.

WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Quadrant article has stopped working. Either it's being hammered or been pulled in recored time.

Edit: It was being hammered, still up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

The author of this article does not understand statistics.

It's like when noted the #1 cause of death via animal in Australia is horses (mostly being thrown from), not sharks (who don't even rate), the fear reponse to the action is different from the outcome. It's all well and good to have a fridge fall on you but imagine being eaten by a shark while riding a refridgerator.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Whats that?

I see a shadow on the horizon...

It's...

The beast with two backs...

Wait...

One is hairless...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Somewhere in Queensland a concession speech momentarily stops to announce they are standing for the next leadership challenge in Labor.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Franklin told Fairfax Media that he stood by the point he was seeking to illustrate in the essay, which he said he had first posted in draft form and updated progressively over the evening.

"The whole piece was an attack on terrorism. It is absurd to suggest that in the third-last paragraph I would advocate a terrorist act."

He said he was making a rhetorical point about the absurdity of a suggestion by one of the panelists on Monday night's program that accidents involving refrigerators kill more people than terrorism, and what he saw as the ongoing refusal of ABC commentators to acknowledge the true causes of terrorism.

"Our lives and the way we live are being constricted, we live in fear and the causes are being obfuscated," he said.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Quadrant magazine today “unreservedly apologised” to ABC managing director Michelle Guthrie for an online article that suggested it would have been better off if the Manchester terrorist had bombed the public broadcaster’s Sydney headquarters.

The magazine’s editor in chief, Keith Windschuttle, responded to Ms Guthrie late today in a letter agreeing the “intemperate wording” in the article was a “serious error of judgment and should not have been published”.

The article will be withdraw from the magazine’s website, he said.

“Even though I do not share all of the interpretations expressed in your letter, I accept your assurance about the offence it caused you and your staff. You have my unreserved apology for any concerns it might have given you,” Mr Windschuttle wrote.

Earlier, Communications Minister Mitch Fifield blasted Quadrant for its “sick and unhinged” comments about the ABC after contained in the article.

Lawyers must have called them in a cold sweat

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Solemn Sloth posted:

How the gently caress is that odious pile of pus Keith windschuttle not loving dead already

If we don't get Part 2 how will literature survive?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/stilgherrian/status/867331684907196417

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm the 4 year old version of wordpress.

Its more they are vulnerable to the most basic php injection hacks

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zenithe posted:

Found it.

Thanks Pauline.

G*d forbid she finds out about https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shechita

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
In response to questioning from Nationals senator John Williams, director of editorial policies, Alan Sunderland, was forced to defend the long-running children's news program, Behind The News, against allegations the program was sympathetic to terrorists.

This screeches McCarthyist paranoia

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Quadrant aint retracted poo poo. Article is still up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
IT CAME FROM DOMAAAAAAAAAIN

quote:

Australia’s great housing affordability crisis is nothing but “horseshit”, according to a property analyst.

Speaking at an industry lunch in Brisbane on Wednesday, Propertyology managing director Simon Pressley told the audience how inaccurate the constant hype around the affordability crisis was, arguing the whole debate focuses only on Sydney and completely ignored the rest of the country.

“Let’s be honest, the housing affordability ‘crisis’ is Sydney-centric. Sydney has issues, there’s no denying that – but that’s nothing new. It’s been the most expensive city in the country for the last five or six decades,” he says.

“The majority of Australia remains affordable to property buyers. Fifty-six per cent of local government areas throughout Australia have median house prices of $400,000 or below.

“The problem with all these policies and proposals that get bandied about looking to cure the housing affordability “crisis” is this: it doesn’t apply to most of the country.

“We need to look outside of Sydney and have a conversation about the rest of Australia. [We] buy affordable properties under $500,000 in locations over Australia every day, including houses for $350,000 to $400,000 in capitals such as Brisbane and Hobart, as well as in vibrant regional cities with thriving economies.”

Mr Pressley says he was noticing a trend among some young buyers who are “rentvesting”, where they invest in another location – one which they can afford – and continue renting where they actually want to live.

Two young women who have done just that are Sarah Collison, a 31-year-old Sydney biologist, and Sam Douglas, a 25-year-old client liaison coordinator from Brisbane.

Ms Collison owns two properties in regional towns but rents in a Sydney suburb close to her job; her two properties pay for themselves and she still has money left over to save.

“It takes hard work and discipline but I wouldn’t say I’m deprived,” she says. “I think a lot of young people in Sydney look at the house prices and give up before they even get started.

“By looking at housing outside of Sydney, I’m able to pay my rent, still save money and the houses I have are increasing in value.”

Ms Douglas, along with her partner, also owns two properties in regional centres and is looking at buying her third within the next year. The couple originally looked at buying in Wavell Heights, where they lived, but simply couldn’t afford the $700,000 to $800,000 price tag.

“This way we still get to live where we want but we’re growing our money through property,” she says.

“I still go out and have smashed avocado on toast every weekend; I absolutely love it.”

Mr Pressley says Ms Douglas and Ms Collison are cases in point of young Australians cutting through the “horseshit” and taking responsibility for their futures. He says wannabe property owners striving to “afford” to buy in Sydney should be careful what they wish for.

“While we encourage all Australians to work on getting a foothold in the property market, does one really want to saddle themselves to an $800,000 mortgage for a $1 million property at the top of growth cycle and interest rates likely to trend north?” he says.

To address housing affordability concerns in our biggest capital cities, Pressley suggests scrapping stamp duty on all properties for anyone relocating from an expensive city to a more affordable one and encouraging baby boomers via incentives to relocate from expensive cities to affordable cities.

He also suggests marketing campaigns promoting the liveability of regional areas. “Plenty of Sydney or Melbourne residents have an image in their head of ‘regional Australia’, which includes dusty mines, a remote farm area with no amenities, and no jobs. Their perception is not the reality – we know because we are buying property in some of these locations,” he says.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

Propertyology.
http://www.propertyology.com.au?wvideo=tzscmlsymm

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey thread. I 100% checked out of Australian politics/news 3 months ago. Feels great.

Is human arrowroot biscuit Bill Shorten still labor leader by default?

Longbows

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So in the last few days Margaret Court kicked off a storm over gay marriage and otherwise gay relationships, unsurprising as she's been an outspoken homophobe for decades. This has lead to simultaneous accusations of bullying and oppression by people shouting down her views, and others calling for Margaret Court Arena to be renamed given that such a vitriolic person - despite being the most Grand Slam winning tennis player of all time - is not who we'd consider a banner holder for Australian sport. Samantha Stosur believes renaming is out of the questions but the protest can be players refusing to play on the court. https://www.theguardian.com/austral...rriage-comments

https://twitter.com/caseydellacqua/status/867855363760107522

Well some others have done some background checking and found this.

https://twitter.com/mavisgrizzltits/status/868443074480885766

You can defend, albeit weakly, anti-same sex marriage on fundamentalist Christian grounds. You can not defend calling for apartheid to spread because it's so great. How the gently caress has this been overlooked for so long?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

open24hours posted:

I think that was probably a pretty mainstream view at the time.

It wasn't

Cartoon posted:

You really need to ask?

Australia is South Africa only with a get tough on blacks policy. Hth. Especially true in the sporting community. See also the friend of the family Brown stadium.

Yeah I know the legal history of friend of the family Brown, but apartheid stands out in Australia because we were the first western nation to condemn it. There was a time when Australia was ahead of the curve, and this was one such time.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-27/bob-hawke-opens-apartheid-exhibition-in-canberra/7364762

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
She's saying that when South Africa refused entry to Arthur Ashe, who stands out as being the only black player in tennis history to win Wimbledon or the US Open or the Australian Open. So yeah refusing entry to a black man, one of the top players of his time, in her own sport is part of "the racial situation rather better organised". It was indefensible then, it's indefensible now.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why was her opinion given a huge amount of publicity anyway? Cynical or actual answers welcome.

She attacked other tennis players so it was a sport story plus she is one of the two namesakes of Australian Open tennis alongside Rod Laver. She won 24 grand slam singles titles.

The other tennis players responded in kind and it escalated from there. It shoyld be noted Margaret Court has been a known homophobe for decades, and would attack Martina Navritolova as in essence an abomination. Posting about that story seemed redundant which is why i didn't bother.

It's the apartheid stuff that got to me as even in tennis circles Court gets defended as yes we know shes an insane Christian which is why we try to not give her a microphone, but that can be put to age and religion. This stuff was contemporary and clear racism with white supremacy weaved in.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Court seems more likely to be PW Botha than FW de Klerk.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
As a side note the reason Court's specific homophobia stands out is that lesbians in tennis have been open, and comparatively common, for decades. Tennis always stood out from other sports by always having the men and women playing at the same time and given the save coverage, and alongside it gave a lot of voice to being inclusionary (specifically on the womens side it must be said, male tennis players who are out are still a huge minority and no one in the top ten let alone top fifty is out - an infamous event from a year ago was player Sergiy Stakhovsky stating that there were no male homoseuxals in tennis but half of the women were so he wouldn't let his daughter play tennis).

Previously mentioned legends Martina Navritolova, Billie Jean King and conemporaries Samantha Stosur, Casey Dellacqua are all prominent LGBT tennis players and its widely seen that women in tennis are very LGBT inclusive. So Court not only being homophobic, but an outspoken homophobe in a sport that was pioneering in LGBT acceptance stands out as being "the gently caress?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Paingod556 posted:

"We need to come together and focus on whats really important.
"Ending apartheid?"
"Rugby tours."

https://youtu.be/KhKErCF2mJE

de Klerk at least said sorry and did lead to the end of minority rule, Botha went to the grave essentially saying apartheid would've worked if they just shot more black people which lead to the most correctly vitriolic obituary in history.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2006/nov/02/guardianobituaries.southafrica

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The ABC is robbing commercial media of revenue by spending taxpayer dollars on Google and partnering with Netflix, the chief executive of Fairfax Media, Greg Hywood, has told parliament.

Hywood stepped up his campaign against the ABC using the search engine Google to promote its content and called on the government to take action against the national broadcaster “undercutting the competitiveness” of the Sydney Morning Herald and the Age.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

gay picnic defence posted:

"Which of course means it would be a great time for first home buyers to enter the market" - an increasingly nervous Domain reporter for the 18th time this week

On that topic!

https://www.domain.com.au/advice/how-to-build-a-property-portfolio-from-scratch-20170302-guoucy/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Pauline Hanson’s One Nation has resuscitated its threat to refuse to support the Turnbull government’s budget measures unless the ABC’s funding is cut.

Brian Burston, One Nation’s party whip, said it had received “unfair treatment” from the ABC and the party would reject “all bills associated with the budget” unless the broadcaster’s $1bn a year funding was cut by $600m over four years, according to the Australian.

lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Who IS John Galt?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Slashing ABC funding will not be the most crucial component of ensuring One Nation’s support for the government’s budget, Senator Pauline Hanson confirms.

Senator Hanson explained that, despite the ABC’s bloated budget and regular displays of bias, it would be not be in the nation’s best interests to block government supply in exchange for sweeping cuts to the national broadcaster.

“The people want One Nation to deal with all legislation on is merits, and the government’s budget will be no different,” Senator Hanson said.

However, Senator Hanson explained that if the government wanted to show it was serious about media reform and deficit reduction it would rein in the out-of-control ABC and SBS. Senator Hanson pushed back on allegations that One Nation’s position on ABC cuts was a result of the national broadcaster’s recent attacks on her party.

“People know my party has always been concerned about the ABC’s budget. Senator Burston has been fighting for cuts to the ABC from the moment he raised the issue in his maiden speech.”

Senator Hanson also raised concerns with the budget’s lack of action on the rorting of Medicare, multinational tax evasion, and failure to address shortfalls in the collection of mining royalties.

Backflip faster than Healthy Harold

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

Why is the article using wording like "out-of-control" without attributing it to Hanson in quotations? It reads like that is the journalists opinion.

This is a media release from One Nation

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Please make reference to the first amendment of the constitution whuile doing so Mr Cottrell.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

open24hours posted:

Amazingly, people fortunate enough to live somewhere good don't want to move to somewhere poo poo.

Canberra being "good" compared to anywhere is quite a thing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/870065213608833024

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/golf-courses-in-the-crosshairs-as-sydney-councils-seek-space-for-sporting-fields-and-parks-20170531-gwhs1m.html

Predicted this a while back: with land a premium they've realised "wait why does this golf course exist?"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A friend — who would have been about 14 at the time — once showed me a folder on his phone full of naked photos of girls because he wanted to boast. He knew them all. 

Shot in the dark

Caleb was 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bogan King posted:

Caleb doesn't have any friends. :happened:

This ones uncle worked at nintendo

• Locked thread