Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah watch Bill Shorten's Labor Party vote for this, and then gift us with another 4 years of The Trumbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Bravo the Liberal party, for inventing a way to make the educated elitists that just stick in their craw so badly pay exclusively for their you-beaut corporate tax cut, while nouveau-riche "battlers" reside over their rental portfolios unperturbed...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I'm reminded of that one time my union actually endorsed the Greens over the ALP because they were trying to gut higher ed (It was 2013).

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm wondering if after the 2014 budget not getting anything through if Unis aren't too worried about this one.

I feel like back in 2014 I'd already received emails from the VC that things were going to be fine, we'll work through it, blah blah but nothing so far with these announced cuts.

Our VC is still using the prospect of zombie cuts from 2014 that will _NEVER_ pass the senate to justify a lowball pay claim, understaffing, basically anything else she doesn't want to spend money on.

I think you'll find this tactic repeated across the sector, given most of them rip their plays straight out of the AHEIA book these days.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
What the hell do PHON care about graduates and students?

Nobody with an ATAR acceptable to a podunk supertafe is going to vote for them.

edit: Fixed

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 2, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Schlesische posted:

There are plenty of tradies who never got ATARs who would never vote One Nation largely because they're mostly really dedicated to the idea of voting Liberal.

Just because every PHON voter is an uneducated turd doesn't mean every uneducated turd votes PHON though!

Cases in point, WA election; recent QLD polling.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There is no way NTATA wouldn't have to be dragged out of office for repeatedly trying to sack the next Labor govt. These people don't even comprehend the meaning of impartiality or bipartisanship.

Think bronnie's stint as speaker, but with 100% more constitutional crisis.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

This schools funding announcement from the libs actually seems ok.

I mean, yes it's less money than Labor's plans were but still it seems to be very light on intentionally kicking the poor. What am I missing?

Anidav posted:

That it will go to the schools who need it the least?

Yeah, that's why they dismantled Gonski the second they could feasibly do so.

They ensure private schools get kickbacks, so the fees they pay for their kids to attend there (if they even pay at all, with mystery scholarships flying around) don't have to go up.

Meanwhile, the public system looks something like my avatar.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apologies, I didn't see this latest development, and had made assumptions based on several decades of Liberal graft.

Link:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...ecdbaaad1bc5c95

edit:
Trigger Warning: Latham

The Arsestralian posted:

Malcolm Turnbull risks a revolt in the Coalition’s base after ditching the political tenet that no school would be worse off under ­education funding changes and embarking on a gamble to introduce “genuine’’ needs-based ­resourcing.

In a move that creates losers and alienates the Catholic schools sector, the government announced the funding for 24 independent Catholic and private schools would go backwards, a further 353 “overfunded’’ independent schools would have a lower share of funding and 9048 schools would receive more resources.

The federal government’s changes will see it almost double its federal school funding to $30 billion in the next decade, including a $2.2bn injection in next week’s budget. The money will be tied to reforms designed to reverse Australia’s 20-year academic slide and return the nation to the top of the global rankings.

The Prime Minister and Education Minister Simon Birmingham yesterday attempted to outflank their critics by appointing David Gonski — whose name has been co-opted by Labor and education unions to push the case for more school funding — to review how to spend money to improve student results, in a review dubbed Gonski 2.0.

Mr Turnbull has tempted a backlash with the Coalition’s voter base, particularly Catholic families, as he seeks to “right Labor’s wrongs’’ by implementing needs-based funding and “bring the school-funding wars to an end”.

John Howard guaranteed non-government schools that their funding would not go backwards, recognising that Catholic schools in outer suburban and regional areas, in particular, catered to average families who wanted choice with low fees. Labor’s Gonski model did not unwind the levels of funding the Catholic system historically had received because Julia Gillard promised no school would be worse off.

Former Labor leader Mark Latham, who was accused of stoking class envy when he created a “hit list” of overfunded schools during the 2004 federal election, said last night the biggest problems in education now were teacher quality and academic standards.

Mr Turnbull said the funding changes would end Labor’s patchwork of 27 inconsistent agreements and “ensure that students with the same needs will be treated exactly the same in terms of commonwealth funding — no matter which state they reside in, or the school system they are being educated in’’.

The government refused to identify the non-government schools that will lose money but the Education Department previously has identified overfunded schools including Sydney’s Loreto Kirribilli, St Ignatius College Riverview and St Aloysius’ College as well as Daramalan in the ACT and Melbourne Grammar.

The government will fund 20 per cent of the Schooling Resource Standard for government schools, up from 17 per cent, and 80 per cent for non-government schools, up from 77 per cent this year.

The changes mean that schools will transition more quickly, over 10 years, to their appropriate SRS, the funding benchmark at the heart of the Gonski needs-based funding principles. The reduction in funding for schools will be about 2 per cent or less a year until they reach the benchmark.

Mr Latham last night criticised the use of Mr Gonski, saying “the worst person to review the school funding system in Australia is a rolled-gold elite with no direct experience with the challenges of disadvantaged public education in low income neighbourhoods’’.

“His only ‘qualification’ appears to be a friendship with Turnbull,’’ Mr Latham said.

National Catholic Education Commission acting executive director Danielle Cronin hit out at the proposed changes, saying the government was unfairly targeting the sector and forcing Catholic schools to “abandon a mechanism that ensures resources are distributed fairly and according to need among schools that belong to a single Catholic schools authority’’.

Known as the System Weighted Average, the mechanism allows Catholic school authorities to spread resources across diverse school communities, she said.

Catholic Education Melbourne executive director Stephen Elder described the changes as a direct attack on Catholic parish primary schools. Under the plans, “parents at these schools will be expected to pay similar fees to those charged by elite independent institutions’’, he said. “This will hurt families of modest means most of all.’’

Senator Birmingham countered last night: “Surely nothing can be fairer than a funding model that treats all non-government schools ­consistently and on equal terms, based on the need of each individual school regardless of their sector or faith? Across Australia, Catholic school systems will receive ­estimated average per student growth of 3.7 per cent per annum, well above current measures of ­inflation or wages growth.’’

The per student base amount in 2018 will be $10,953 for primary students and $13,764 for secondary school students. The government argues more than 99 per cent of schools will see a year-on-year increase in funding, and on average per-student funding will grow 4.1 per cent a year over a decade.

Labor deputy leader Tanya Plibersek said it was “a smoke-and-mirrors, pea-and-thimble” ­effort to hide the fact the government was cutting $22bn from schools over a decade, instead of $30bn.

Independent Schools Council of Australia executive director Colette Colman welcomed the government’s “attempt to make the new model more consistent in application’’ while Business Council chief Jennifer Westacott applauded the government for “abolishing the commitment to maintain all schools’ funding levels — regardless of their level of privilege — (establishing) a fairer, simpler and more transparent approach to funding disadvantaged students and schools into the future’’.

NSW Education Minister Rob Stokes did not rule out the possibility of the state taking court action to enforce the current signed funding agreement with Canberra. “We come from a very strong moral position and we come from a position where we have acted in good faith in every dealing in relation to schools funding,’’ he said.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 3, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

DancingShade posted:

You're right but I can kind of see the logic.

If the ruling government isn't really bothering with protocol why should anyone else?

poo poo I hope the slide into leather jacket anarchy isn't precipitated by a newspaper walkout of all things.

I think it would be pretty drat ironic if it's a Fairfax strike, of all things, that goes down in history as the beginning of a wider campaign that ultimately results in the ALP having their hand forced into to overturning the shittier components of the Fair Work Act having pounded Trumble into the ground at the next election.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dairy Shill posted:

"But it's about going down to the back of the supermarket, looking into the fridge, and choosing what we consider to be the correct, very nutritional product."

Yeah this is super loving offensive and also, wrong.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
After drinking soy for 4 years or so, cow's milk now tastes thin and inferior.

But I guess all milk tastes roughly the same, whereas bad soy milk is really really bad, so I can see why some people are wary.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

aejix posted:

The only soy milk I've liked is Bonsoy but that poo poo is insanely expensive. Is there soy milk that tastes like it that isn't ludicrously expensive?

I use vitasoy Soy Milky at home. It's not quite Bonsoy (aka the Cadillac of Soy Milks) but it's so much better than regular Vitasoy or So Good. It's still about $1.50-$2 a litre but that's still more than half the cost of bonsoy, and it's available in a non-UHT format. Also lasts longer than cows milk or opened UHT soy, so that's a bonus.

Works well in coffee and I guess if you were so inclined you could put it on cereal.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Sometimes when you stare into the abyss,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol NSW are so poo poo at everything.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

Holy poo poo, is it just a universal rule everywhere that the people who want to be in politics are the worst possible people to be in politics?

What the actual gently caress. "We're a grassroots party, lol you selected me now I'm goping to do loving whatever gently caress you."

Jesus christ.

We don't seem to have a great deal of trouble with our Greens MPs here in WA, just sayin'

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

WA best A

:banjo::hf::banjo:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

Except for the grumpy old men who pie CEO's that support same sex marriage. Truly, a representation of the average WA'er.

Least we don't have weird Christian Fundie Parties in our upper house

Unless you include the Nats...

Which I guess you should.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

How many state and fed PHON members did you guys vote in again?

Well 3

But based on PHON's track record in WA, they'll be independents in about 3 months.

Edit: Also our LC is really loving broken with the way it favours the bush. If you look at the LA vs LC breakdown, it's pretty obvious that the nats and most of the PHON councillors are only in the game because of this.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 10, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Predicted wage growth in the budget: (lol)

Can someone post that hilarious graphic that shows actual growth vs predicted growth since 2012? Thought I had it but I don't.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Bogan King posted:

Here it is

Thanks Bae-gan King <3

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Wages in the late 80s plummeted after wage reform, however their jobs were very secure by today's standards of labour hire and casualisation. Most of the 1980's was a loving nice time to be a worker of any stripe.

It's worth bearing in mind as well that the wage reforms of the 80's led to a decent number of other reforms that delivered better social security/industrial awards on the whole. It then hosed everyone up with single enterprise bargaining, under which many workers traded out all of their workplace privileges for an extra 1% in their pay, which is why we see wage depression even in EBAs since people have nothing left to horse trade (and many don't know how or want to have a fight).

This.

I don't know how many of you have been on a bargaining team, but it's pretty loving clear from day 1 that unless you're rocking huge densities, (>30%, which is AF rare outside of pockets of the public sector, construction, maybe maritime?) , the employer holds all of the cards. The Commission is not worker-friendly and as we've recently seen has become increasingly stacked with industry figures. Businesses regularly bring union busting lawyers and peak body representatives to the table, who will do anything they can to attack the union staff on your side of the table - increasingly via litigation - if they put a foot wrong.

Abetz and then Cash refused to even come to the table for most of the last two govts, and even now I don't think the CPSU have gotten an agreement in since 2014.

And then you have union drama to deal with.

Many unions (SDA, AWU, CSA) have been criticised for signing agreements that they could have held out on based on density/union power. Several unions have the same daft left/right wing schisms that plague progressive parties. National unions tend to have a NSW faction that, thanks to dumb gently caress NSW exceptionalism, gently caress everything for everyone on the reg.

So yeah, bargaining is like running backwards naked in a corn field and the biggest problem with Shorten is he's not going to loving change a thing.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Bogan King posted:

For something a little more Perth flavoured I present the town that doesn't want a maccas built because it would ruin the vibe currently provided by the car park. The reason it is getting turned into a maccas is so the guy who restored the historic pub - after they fought hard to not have it rebuilt instead - can get some of the money he spent restoring it back.

Man if you're going to make that argument, make it because there's a great late night burger joint literally across the road (Alfreds) that's a Perth institution and somewhat deserves to be protected.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sure houses are two or three times more expensive than they were in the 90s and lots of people can't even afford a deposit, and sure the increase in house price entirely counters the lower interest rates, and sure the inevitable increase in interest rates would wipe out a a lot of people but, umm, loving milennials right?

If you'd just stop eating so much avocado,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Australia's five largest banks are prepared to launch a mining tax-style ad campaign to fight the Turnbull government's $6.2 billion new tax, with Bankers' Association chief Anna Bligh accusing the government of playing "fast and loose" with Australia's financial system.

:popcorn:

Did they miss the part that, unlike the mining tax, this one's a bipartisan policy and their allies on this include:

- Probably Tony Abbott
- David Lionhat

The End.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Like I know it's wrong to gloat about other people's suffering and all that -

But knowing that this demographic almost exclusively voted liberal in 2013 AND 2016, reading this I can't help be a little

:nws: :nws:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I too am looking forward to a time in the near future when the only hope for society's most vulnerable is to roll around in a bathtub full of cheap internet-sourced pachyderm tranquiliser

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
You know, just like in America

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My dad, in response to that article:

"When I was a young adult starting out in my first home, I earned $90 a week.

Our mortgage was $32 a month. I spent more money on hi fi gear than housing."

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apparently they sold our 4 bedroom house on a 1/4 acre for $79k in 2001.

Less than 18 years since housing was totally fair and affordable for most - and yet half our population seems to take the revisionist stance and claim it is the children that are wrong.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Reposted that article on Faceboomer - here's some fun responses from brainwashed Gen Ys:

"Who saves 20% for a house deposit though? Pretty much no one that's why mortgage insurance is a standard option and the one off premium capitalized on top of the mortgage amount. Should be able to save 5% in a little over a year. Which is all you really need to own your own home. Also the median house price of 500k is not what you need to get into the market either. Plenty and plenty of nice and decent established homes in various suburbs under 400k."

"Who the hell is buying a median price house for their first?!? Houses just sold in Girrawheen - brand new for $370k. It's partly the weird urge to buy the home you'll die in, when you don't have to..."

Trying to explain to these morons (who, incidentally, live in much nicer houses than the ones they're suggesting people buy) that those sub-400k houses in suburbs that 15 years ago were a long distance call from the city are a really poor investment. The bottom and top of the market always falls the hardest when a housing bubble bursts, and those people buying at 95% LVR are now closer to 110 or worse, in a market that's not loving moving. Most of the people in my suburb would be lucky to get $330 for a house that was valued at $450 last winter.

This poo poo is terrible advice, and you only see it from fuckheads in their late 30s that got it before poo poo got bad.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So FTTN is finally available in my area and holy poo poo did the liberals gently caress it sideways. Just finding a good modem that works with my ISP's implementation seems to be a crapshoot. The one I ended up with (a netgear) is probably the worst appliance I've laid hands on since my days supporting ADSL1, and apparently the TP-Link I wanted doesn't work half the time because reasons and why the gently caress don't we have fibre you gigantic thunderfucks.

This is gonna be a shouty few weeks.

I may have to punch on with a Lib voter.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
iiNet tend to use the shittest modems though. Tbh I should just churn to an actually good ISP and use whatever they hand out.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
But that's beside the point, the point being that by now, I should be able to plug my wireless router into the wall and have flawless gigabit-capable internet, not gently caress around with broken cludge solutions designed to funnel as much money back to Telstra shareholders as possible.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I've been using MyRepublic for six months now and I really like it.

WTF that's $69 for the same plan I'm paying $99 for

How'd they shave 30 bux off something that already doesn't make any money?

Do you actually get 100/40??

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My worry is that they save money by massively overselling their bandwidth. Like Optus and Telstra do except actually passing the savings on to the customer.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

You might as well be in here saying "gently caress Bud Tingwell he was a useless poo poo because I don't watch Australian film and television".

Jumping back to last page a bit, but wasn't this basically George Brandis' entire platform as arts minister?

Checks out.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Leaked Documents Reveal Year Long Campaign to Make Conditions Harder for Manus Refugees

Watch as the ALP do nothing with this free kick.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
ugh gently caress bike chat

edit Content:

Peter Dutton is a Waste of Money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Like I have 2 bikes, I ride for fun and sometimes transport and I really don't get how you folks can do 9 pages on it without actually discussing politics once,

• Locked thread