Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So some 10 year old - or a castrado twenty something - has my wife's former number.
The little poo poo has been loving with anyone that has accidentally texted or called him since he got the number; being rude, cursing, name calling, threatening, etc...

First of all, why the gently caress does a ten year old have a phone?
Second of all what should I do about this? What would you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kazinsal posted:

Get someone in another country with free international talk and text to rack that kid's bill the gently caress up.

Gladly. You know anyone?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Just got a personal property city tax of $1100. Maybe I should go back to old, beat-up cars.

I feel ya bud. I went from getting a $200 bill on like a dozen vehicles to getting a $500+ bill on a single vehicle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

So I'm having a problem.

I've been lifting weights roughly 3-4 times a week for a month now and last night I realized that they're going up into the air far too easily. Did I break the weights?

Have you tried just holding them there after you've lifted them? You have to wait for them to get their weight back.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

I have a regular customer, he's 20 years old, weighs roughly 300lbs, has a long greasy pony tail and yeah, you can smell whatever he's recently eaten when you pass by him.

And he's openly mocking my health kick and I'm like "enjoy dying at 22 tubby."

Edit: also, I'm fuckin proud of myself

This is 20 pounds lost in just under two months

Conversely, I'm just over here all like...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Seminal Flu posted:

We just got a Duck Donuts near us. Are they remarkable in any way?
Yes:
Maple w/ Bacon (pictured bottom left)
Orange cream w/ vanilla drizzle
Peanut Butter w/ chocolate sprinkles
Lemon w/ Raspberry drizz (pictured bottom middle)

The donuts themselves are not quite as good as Sugar Shack, but they're still a drat fine cake donut.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sup May buddys?
I'm getting geared up to move.
Just took a small load of stuff over to the in-laws, I bought a used Wii U on ebay (because there aren't any games for the switch yet), and I'm making strides on getting this CB400 running so I can ship out to a fellow goon on the opposite side of the country.

I'm also looking to get a trailer so I don't have to pay someone to move me. I think taking a load of stuff up with us every time we visit the wife's parents is much more preferred than paying someone to gently caress up my walls and furniture again. Also I'd get a trailer out of it so that's good.
You guys have any recommendations on trailers? Brands?

Also, my buddy was robbed at gunpoint yesterday in Minneapolis, which prompted him to ask me which gun to get.
He's fully aware that carrying, likely wouldn't have prevented what happened, nor would he even have brought his gun in this case anyway since he was flying carry-on only. No-the-less it's a reminder that he wants a gun.
He wants a .380 for conceal. I recommended the Glock 42 and Ruger LCP. You all have any other suggestions?
I tried to get him to get a Kimber but I think he's on a budget of <$500

Also, I just noticed that Kimber doesn't have their Solo on the website anymore? WTF it was such a pretty pistol!

e: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/30/kimber-solo-is-out-the-micro-9-is-in/

GODDAMNIT KIMBER NOOOOOOOOOO! IT WAS SO PRETTY!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 8, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

You're allowed to send out a wedding invite without a "plus one" line on it right?

Wife specifically told a few of my lucky family that actually got an invitation "Do not bring anyone else. If you're considering it, please don't come."
So I assume that leaving off the +1 is acceptable.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

funny Star Wars parody posted:

i didnt know what bae systems was but apparently their combat vehicles hq is right near me
BAE Sys is a British defense and aerospace tech company.
I work a few minutes from their Platforms and Services HQ.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I'm more concerned about the airbag light.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

BAE has a division here in town (if it's the same company) and it used to get picketed because at one point they were supposedly building missile parts to kill children or something.

Yeah that's pretty much most of their business.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

scuz posted:

Friend of mine with more money than he knows what to do with has a big interest in getting this old firehouse and living in it while converting the lower level into a full-on wrencher's paradise. I'm egging him on hard because living vicariously through a friend who has a firehouse seems like a good idea.

I've always wanted an open loft bedroom with a fire pole going through my floor to the rest of my "house" which is actually just a garage.
This looks :perfect:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

How do they work?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

LoL, picking out songs for the wedding and there's gonna be so much loving Queen.

She has no idea what she's gotten herself into

At my wedding, I cracked 400 glowsticks and stuffed them up my sleeves when Bohemian Rhapsody started playing.
When the guitars kicked in, I did the swirling arms air guitar move and the glowsticks flung wildly out my sleeve like bullets from a machine gun.

Seminal Flu posted:

Holy gently caress, Tesla is on crack. They just announced pricing for their solar roof shingles... $21 per square FOOT for a 35% solar panel house, they say that homes could go to 70% solar panel, so the price could nearly double.

The cost for regular, "decent" shingles? Menards has Owens Corning dimensional shingles for $75 per SQUARE. A square is 100 square feet...

That Tesla price is staggeringly expensive and not a viable product.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-tesla-solar-roof-costs-2017-5

I mean, people pay $50/sqft for floors... I don't see why those same people wouldn't consider spending half as much on a money making roof.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 10, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm starting at General Motors in a month, programming... something. They haven't told me yet.

This is pretty cool. You should program in a HAL voice that says "I'm sorry, Bro. But I'm afraid I can't do that." every time someone attempts to load a 'roll coal' tune.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I bought a trailer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

angryrobots posted:

What you end up getting?

Used on Craigslist, $2300:

Thinking on either naming her 'Trash' or 'Queen'

Queen works well because of the trailer name. 'Carry On' like that one line from the Queen song Bohemian Rhapsody. Also because I'll get to say meet my trailer, Queen. Trailer Queen. get it? Because motorcycles! Hhahahahaha. Okay i'm done.

Meet my trailer, Trash would also be funny though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

Cool. New page.

It seems people forgot who I used to be. Have a goddamned refresher.

http://imgur.com/a/PLUBi
http://imgur.com/a/kiF2c

Next time some people wanna talk some goddamn poo poo there will be third album full of csb's dick.

so much pain.

What godless soul does this to another man's car?

and HOW? I was parallel parked, and this is the driver's side door.

I also spent 4 hours at the DMV this morning. They somehow managed to get someone else's name and address on my new trailer's title and took their sweet time figuring out how to remedy it. They didn't have full sized trailer plates, only mini, and told me that there is no possible way to get novelty plates for a trailer which I'm pretty sure is incorrect.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Tell me about garage door insulation kits. Am I wasting my time thinking I can move my exercise gear into the garage and get the temp to stay around 50 in the winter?

depends.

If your walls don't have insulation then it won't do poo poo. It'll make a bit of difference if they are. Not the difference between -20 and 50 but it helps a noticeable bit.
On the plus side it also cuts down on noise. More than doubly so if you get a bunch of butyl sheets stuck all over the door first.

Is the door metal or wood?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MrChips posted:

And for another thing, I'm really not liking a lot of these sour beers that are becoming trendy. Some of them are OK, but the overwhelming majority of them just taste vile.

I thought sours just weren't my thing because I'd disliked pretty much every one I tried. Turns out I just don't like bad sours.

Since we're on the beer subject: is anyone hopping on this kolsch trend? I see people talking about it all over the place. It seems like the pendulum is swinging the other way?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

fridge corn posted:

the few sour beers ive tried have all been amazing

unfortunately i cant remember the names of any of them

That's a side effect of really good sour beers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sadi posted:

^^^ One of the Germans at work recommended me that pilsner. Said its brewed in the region hes from so he goes and gets it a lot for a taste of home.

On the IPA topic. IPAs are delicious, but sessions are where its at. Nice flavor but light enough to trow 6 back. Really the only beer I typically dont like are really wheaty or really yeasty beers.

IDK what it is but Pilsners and Kolsch seem to be REALLY popular this season. It's not even summer yet and that's all I'm hearing about in the blogs, instagrams, breweries, and so on.

Adiabatic posted:

I unironically enjoy super hoppy IPAs. Then again I also love really dark really vinegary flemish sours and oud bruins so I may just be nuts.
I also like overwhelmingly intense flavors.

And now a word from our sponsors:
This post brought to you by HandlingByJesus. He has so generously provided the funds for tonight's selection.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Larrymer posted:

No apologies, no regrets. poo poo is delicious.

FUCKKKKKKKKK I passed on the 6 pack because it was $20 and I hadn't heard a single word about it. I guess I'll have to pick one up on my lunch break.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I live in the middle of Koreaville why in the world would I eat white people food more often than I need to???

Edit: smooth edit :argh:

But yes I agree

Edit: u could also say that your post is greybeards_being_stubborn_and_restraining_innovation.txt but at the end of the day JavaScript is a flaming pile of poop from a butt

Annandale VA?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slidebite posted:

My new house was hard wired with 5e throughout and I just got around to tying into it with a punch down patch panel.

My total amateur panel install (just running patch cables to ISP supplied router for now)

Before on wifi in my office on the 2nd storey (150/150 on 5ghz wireless, opposite corner of house from router)

now

I know it's not blazing fast compared to some services out there, but compared to the 25/5 I've been on for the last 8-9 years it's a nice bump.
I had the builder put conduit in my new house for $225. Pretty stoked to run ethernet throughout. Main patch panel is gonna be in the basement utility room, 24 port gig switch in the attic will be trunked to it's mate in the basement by fiber. Everything on the first floor is gonna be cake to run since the basement is unfinished the top floor will be only moderately less hard since it'll all be coming down from the ceiling.

Also, moving sucks. But beer is good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Powershift posted:

That beer sounds like a mixture of trogdor and burninator.

tastes like it too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Weight loss goal achieved.

Started on April 9th at 205+ (i never took a starting weight photo to lock it down but that was my average at the time)

25 pounds lost. Almost makes up for the Miata still being a huge bitch.

You skinny bitch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

spog posted:

Those wheels look really small and not very good for bumpy roads.

It's a bike meant for ice.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Powershift posted:

This little guy followed me home today :3:

He's 65 pounds, but has 5 15000RPM SCSI drives, a 2.5ghz Xeon E5420 quad core with room for a second and they're only $30 for a matched pair on ebay.

I'm gonna get so many bitcoins with this thing

Enjoy your new v-host

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
sup?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bajaha posted:

What was the reason for the brand new car? Was it a mutual decision? I totally understand how frustrating it is when something you care about is treated like crap and ends up all beat up, no longer new.

Hindsight and all that, but it seems like you would have been better off with a lightly used Prius with some body imperfections or even a beater of sorts. Echoing the suggestion to leave it be for a little while to let it sink in. If it doesn't bother her then I wouldn't recommend ever getting another brand new car unless you're the only one driving it.

On the bright side, at least she doesn't mechanically abuse cars... Does she?

It sounds more like ignorance than anything else. At least it's not malicious.

My wife bought herself a new car "because she deserved it, and doesn't want anyone elses hand-me-downs" (meanwhile I have never owned a new ~anything~)."
She then proceeded to hit 2 gas station bollards, a parked car, a not parked car, a wall, a shelf, another wall, and god only knows what but I hope it was already dead.
The next day someone scratched her door and she LOST HER loving MIND.
A few weeks ago she rear ended someone and totaled it. We didn't even wait for the insurance money, we just went out and bought her ANOTHER brand new Rav4 :shrug:
It's not like she wants to hurt her car. It's just that she's incapable of being a good car owner. Some people are just bad people, but we love them anyway.
At least now her car will slam on the brakes for her when she fucks up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Maksimus54 posted:

Sour beer recommendations? PNW and Westcoast specific please. I'm big on most other beer styles but just haven't dug into the sour scene yet

I just drank a couple of Unita Gose and it was good I guess? I'm not a sour fan and I think it was a little salty and I don't know if I want to finish the rest of this 6 pack.
Did I mention I'm not a sour fan?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

everdave posted:

Just finished nice build for a customer i7-7700 with gtx 1070 must be nice to have the time to play games

My computer has been in a box for 2 months now because my wife thinks it's an eyesore.
Must be nice to have a computer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

spog posted:

All okay on the home front, mate?

CommieGIR posted:

....uh, are you okay?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol what. I hope you make her put *a thing she likes* away because you don't like it.

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah I mean happy wife happy life etc but at the risk of sounding like e/n, have you considered getting some therapy or marriage counselling or :sever:

it sounds to me like u need to grow some bigger balls (or buy a pretty case)

I suppose I should qualify this with "we were trying to sell our house" followed by "I don't have my own office, and my computer is on the living room floor"(that's a whole other discussion) followed by "which is why we're trying to sell our house. Also I happen to think my case is very pretty, tyvm.
It's all good. Though it would be better if she'd stop freaking out about how I'm going to move everything and start packing up her poo poo :P
I did manage to get a trailer out of the whole moving out ordeal so I've got that going for me.

Kazinsal posted:

Dammit I'm trying to lose some weight but y'all are talking about tasty beers and deep fried potato skins :(
That does it. Goin' to buy beer now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

I have never had Grand Cru but holy poo poo have you had Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge jesus loving gently caress

GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY HEAD. I seriously thought twice about taking a detour to get one on the way home. :tinfoil:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BraveUlysses posted:

why not? just get his insurance info and if he doesnt pay up, contact them to have it handled

Yeah if insurance companies get wind of it on either side you might wind up paying higher rates too.

Before everyone gets their rear end on their shoulders about "BUT SOMEONE ELSES gently caress UP SHOULDN'T AFFECT MY RATES..."

Someone hit my sisters parked car. Her rates went up significantly when she renewed.
I got rear ended at a stop sign. My rates went up. I got rear ended in traffic. My rates went up. I got side swiped when I was parallel parked on the street. My rates went up.
Some doofus managed to wreck into the rear of my wife's Rav4 while she was parked in a spot. Her rates went up when she renewed. (She later totaled that vehicle and somehow her rates didn't go up that time :shrug:)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

How is that even possible?

I saw an F250 put a trailer hitch ball through the windshield of a miata without touching any other part of the car :iiam:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Somewhat Heroic posted:

They are the worst. After my car was rear ended and totaled ten years ago I had such an awful experience with them as soon as I got my payout I bailed. I have been with Allstate since. They are more expensive but their service (when needed) has been outstanding. I have had something like 4 or 5 different agents (insurance biz is rough y'all). I have heard horrible experiences with Geico, Progressive, etc. I think we have a megathread on Insurance here in AI usually hovering around the first few pages.

I loved allstate. The only reason I switched to Geico was because my agent misunderstood me and quoted me for my 2011 F150 Ecoboost AAAAAAAND my 2002 Explorer Sport Trac, when I was replacing one with the other.
Thinking that the price was 2x what my Geico quote was, I switched. It wasn't until I talked to him again after I had switched that the misunderstanding was cleared up.
Oh well, sorry Chris.

The only reason I didn't switch back was because they cancelled my roadside assistance at the same time even though I had paid up-front for a whole 'nother year. When I went to use it to have my wife's car towed home, and couldn't, I was pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I checked out the truck today, turns out it has 28k miles and he's selling it cheap because he's an old man who can't drive and there are some dings, scratches, and missing parts from various run ins with trees that he's had

He's going to get a quote for how much it'd cost to fix and send me the specs for me to KBB then we'll get a price sorted out with my Saturn for trade included. I'm guessing I'll get it for $15k-25k which is still an insane deal

I wouldn't say that's an INSANE deal, but you'd be nuts not to take it. I paid $19500 for my 2011 F150 ecoboost with 40k miles on it. There wasn't a scratch on it and the guy basically just parked it in his garage and rubbed it with a diaper.

• Locked thread