Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hi May chat thread. I've been on a canal boat for a bunch of time and had absolutely minimal access to any forms of communication. I kinda liked being insulated to the nonsense going on in my country for a change.

It was however cold most of the time and snowed on me a bunch which was not cool considering it was blazing sunshine the first few days and I hadn't bought much warm clothing. Log fires are a good thing though.

I've been away from any form of gym equipment outside of working locks for too long so this evening is going to hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

nm posted:

The reason weight loss doesn't stick is because people don't keep the lifestyle change after they lose the weight. Having something you enjoy doing really helps, whether that is cycling, playing a sport, or even running.

"I lost 60lbs so I can stop dieting now"

*6 months later*

"Hey why am I as fat as I was?!"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

monsterzero posted:

Canal boating sounds pretty cool. I'd like to do a Californian interpretation in the next few years and spend a week or so sailing around the Sacramento-San Jaoquin Delta. A little less green than the European countryside, but more meth and dive bars.

If anything it made me realise I don't have to join in with the general rush that we call life. Tootling through the countryside at 3mph in the sunshine means you have to adjust your expectations for travel. I think we went 70 miles in 10 days, we weren't travelling for hours and hours per day but just enough to get places. Locks take forever too and there were a couple of places that had runs of 20 or so in a row... On a boat you just chill the gently caress out and say hello to everyone you see. It did snow though which was weird, log fires on boats are also a cool thing to have. I also read a book for the first time in forever. Recommend it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

bolind posted:

Commuting on a bike in anything above freezing is just a matter of the right clothes/gear and a dash of HTFU. I biked to work, on average, every other (work) day in November-December-January.

It's made harder when it rains, rain is fairly miserable to ride in over any sort of distance. Last year was surprisingly dry, the year before that seemed like rain every other day. I've not ridden to work in about two weeks due to holiday aaaaaand I feel like it's going to suck getting my legs back.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Woke up to a bunch of voice mails and missed calls from work this morning, looks like I'll have some interesting mechanical failures to fix when I get in in half an hour :v:

I've been on annual leave for 3 weeks and all I've come back to is a billion emails not for me aaaaaaaaaaaaand a manual handling training course which involves taking part in things I can't be arsed to. I'm gonna say I have a bad back and then eat all the food they supply.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

My last remaining grandparent passed today, and I kinda felt this was an okay place to remember him. He taught me that old cars were great and you could fix anything with bondo and duct-tape, and to always laugh at everything especially Serious Stuff. He surfed with the old California icons and fiberglassed boards for movie stars in Malibu & Hawaii back in the day. He lived for the water. Don passed away sometime last night in his sleep, at home, less than two miles from the shorebreak. He was an ornery cuss until the end and I will always remember the one heartfelt peice of advice he ever gave me:

"Get a screw-off job, so you can hit the beach instead"

His garage at the end:

Late 1940s/early 1950s woodie (Plymouth IIRC)
Some kind of surfer rat-rod Model A
1967 Impala convertible
1987 Jeep Wagoneer
Jeep CJ3B
Corvette C4
3rd gen 4runner
A wrecked Hobie Cat lodged down in the creek/canyon runoff below his house :v:

Surf well man, I hope the curl breaks late out there.

A legit cool dude.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

So I'm having a problem.

I've been lifting weights roughly 3-4 times a week for a month now and last night I realized that they're going up into the air far too easily. Did I break the weights?

Congratulations, you can now graduate past the pink 2lb dumbells. Try the 5s next :v:

In all seriousness, progression is satisfying.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

Ice-T put on a dog mask for Tank Girl. Letterman or someone was making fun of him for it, and he was all "They paid me a million dollars to put that poo poo on." Then he pointed at the audience and said "Every one of you would have done that. ONE MILLION DOLLARS."

I think any working actor can put a good day's work into a role, they have no control over whether or not it turns out to be a poo poo product, especially at the point of contract signing. They gotta earn a paycheck just like the rest of us.

Except Tank Girl is a cult classic and is actually highly entertaining?? Soundtrack was fun too and featured what is one of the greatest songs ever produced...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYsGWh_vpE

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Your wrists and arms shouldn't be supporting the bar at all, it's all in the upper back. Make sure your shoulders are stretched out and try and put your hands as close together as possible on the bar, then lift your elbows up. This creates a perch on your upper shoulders/traps and you barely need any pressure at your hands to steady the bar.

That's how I've learned, at least. And no pad on the bar.

No pads, no gloves. And sound advice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Post link so I can kudos

^ and he will. Without fail.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Welcome back fella.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I was handed a 360 degree camera to piss about with at work earlier. Nicked a tripod and wedged it in the car. Behold my glorious blue velour interior. And my mug.

https://theta360.com/s/m93m9r30TSDJta3mhLoBDDsxc

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bape passed me by again a few minutes ago, I wasn't in my loud-rear end car though so I finally got to hear that naughty V8. Definitely approve.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

LoL, picking out songs for the wedding and there's gonna be so much loving Queen.

She has no idea what she's gotten herself into

Went to a wedding on Friday and they danced to <whatever> but as soon as my girlfriend got the chance to make a request she asked for Joy Division - Love will tear us apart. I told her I wasn't sure it was an entirely appropriate song to play "what do you mean?" bless her innocent (and clearly non-paying-attention-to-lyrics) heart

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bought some coilovers for the car today, time to swap out the 29 year old OEM kit (when it arrives anyway).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

The thing is, if we (as a species or as a given country) really wanted to step up space tech stuff, it's not that expensive in big picture terms. I worked it out once and I think the entire Apollo programme, start to finish and adjusted for inflation, cost less than a year of the NHS.

So if the US is going to continue to gently caress people on healthcare, you could at least spend the money on something cool like big loving rockets.

So what you're saying is, if I got cancer and decided I wanted to just die they could put me in a rocket and fire me into space? Sounds cool.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Yeah, I danced around that topic as chastising someone you don't really know for poor financial choices is a bit of a faux pas so I just tried to help him at least get the thing to a decent point. The prices for not just these but anything in Japan that can be imported to the US and has a bit of a cult following are really high right now and I don't think it is sustainable, especially once the R33s become legal to import. They made 40k+ R32 GTRs and there are always plenty available so once the initial rush has died off I expect the prices to come down a little. Personally once I have the space to start a collection of rust and faded dreams I will likely buy one already in the US with a title that has a blown engine since then I can make sure it is built how I want and have it preped for a single turbo conversion with a decent chunk more boost.

I've never been sat in an RB26 with a big single turbo despite knowing a dude that has a daddy 600bhp one, mainly because he breaks it every other week. A friend has a stock R32GTR with the twin setup and that thing is brutally fast, he's still got the big yellow restrictor in place so it's running reduced amounts of boost. Are singles the way to go on these then? I've no clue about such matters.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

For big power most go for a single larger turbo to replace the smaller twins due to ease of installation since you can get rid of a lot of clutter and most of the time you go for a top mount since the space where the standard twins usually go is pretty cramped. This is not just the case on RB26s but common on JZ and 13b upgrades as well. The twin turbo systems are great in theory but overly complicated and difficult to tune in comparison to a large single. Of course it is never as simple as that and there is a pretty good video and FAQ about twins vs singles on an RB26

http://motivedvd.com/motive/2015/07/31/rb26-twins-vs-single-mythbusted-frequently-asked-questions-and-statements/

The main outcome is use what is best for the application you have in mind. Want huge power for the drags? Large single top mount is the way to go.

By now a lot of people are replacing the original turbos due to age and the ceramic turbines having a habit of shattering due to vibrations when the bearings start to go which of course usually means your bottom end and valves are going to be screwed when all that crap is pulled through the engine. There are places that will take the standard turbo units and upgrade them to steel turbines and refresh everything which is what I would do if I wanted to keep a car as standard as possible while making it more reliable.

If it were me I would want my GTR to be drivable on the road with a little bit more power so would probably go for modern low mounts and keep it looking stock and refresh all the vacuum hoses and sensors so it is running as well as it can. If I rebuild the whole thing then I would upgrade the bottom end and then push some more boost through it and make a reliable 450-500 at most. Probably throw in an aftermarket Atessa AWD replacement controller

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2012/11/upgraded-and-programmable-attesa-from.html

Since the original R32 GTR one ran at 10hz which means it can be slow to react if you do start to lose it.

This is all very interesting, thanks. The guy I know with the silly fast GTR has one of those AWD controllers or one very similar as he can twiddle a knob and turn the car full RWD. I wish I still had the video of the thing overtaking an S2000 I was in going full bore but making us look like we were standing still. We set off in front down a PRIVATE ROAD and hit about 90mph, the Skyline was following a fair bit back and just wound up and flew past making an obnoxiously loud noise with my friend hanging out of the window flipping us off. Such a loving silly car :allears:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 11, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Do it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I feel like taking a team in and trying to get those cars running under dark of night would be almost worth getting caught and being subject to whichever weird rear end-backwards punishment they'd dole out. Also why hasn't there been a F&F film made about such a heist?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

My P71 is white, so the black wheels offset that anyway. I just don't like the rings on those particular wheels - I don't feel like it works well with wheels with so little dish.
I found some Mustang 18" wheels I liked on Craigslist, so I'm not running the cop steelies anyway - but the Mustang wheels are all-black, too.

Cool as poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

the only two rules of diet that are pretty much true for anyone is that simple sugars in excess are really bad and you will lose weight if your calorie intake is less than your calorie burn.

"...but I'm just big boned"

A friend of mine was a larger lady, claimed she couldn't lose weight for poo poo. She then began to suffer from issues related to her weight and was told by the hospital that they can operate but only when she's a healthier weight as it's too dangerous to do so at the moment. That was a few months back and she's dropped 6 stone/84lb already simply by not eating poo poo. Still has another 2 stone/28lb to go to hit her target weight but she's really not struggled with it and now she says she feels fantastic and quite clearly looks a load healthier.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fridge corn posted:

One of my missus' friends is like this complains that she can't lose weight no matter what she tries but literally eats nothing but pizza, burgers, and macaroni cheese

"HOW AM I PUTTING ON WEIGHT?!"

It's very hard to bite your tongue on such matters and I struggle not to be a complete oval office.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I have to hold my tongue as she's my gfs friend so she gets to make the call but we're in another similar situation with this same friend in that she just got engaged and everyone dislikes the fiancé and thinks he's a mega creep (he is) but he seems to make her happy for the time being so what can you do? 🤔

That sounds familiar. I was introduced to a bloke years back and he was ok I guess, a bit full of himself but fine in short doses. He acquires a girlfriend who is just adorable and cool and everyone loves her to bits. He loses his mind a little and gets deep into conspiracy theories and spends far too much time on sites like tumblr and becomes the most obnoxious dipshit ever thinking he's better than everyone. All of my friends try to avoid talking to him as much as possible but have all the time in the world for her and we're all very confused about what she sees in him.

...and this was before he decided he liked to dress up in women's clothing, spend all the rent money on make up and get himself sacked from his job for being a twat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fat bikes are fun for 20 minutes and then you hand it back to the mug that actually paid good money for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I should've bought a cyclo cross bike really, I bought a road bike and ride it like my mountainbike and it's not quite up to the task. I exploded a spoke nipple out of the rim a couple of weeks ago, killed a set of (obviously faulty) carbon forks and the bars are bent slightly. I'm in 'buy new bits or replace bike?' mode

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If a place sells Asahi I'm a happy man, all I want in my beer/lager is a nice crisp refreshing taste. I've had all sorts of weird and wonderful beers and ales but I've never liked one enough to have a second pint of it so I end up drinking everything, disliking all of it and then being annoyed (and drunk) when I've pissed away cash on crap drink

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Serious suggestion aldi pilsner.

Thank yoooou

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I predict few will care because the majority of people don't give a gently caress or understand what 'an internet' is or why the opportunity to turn it into a closed-off North Korea level service is something the Tories would love to do.

*edit: though part of me wants to believe she's trying to throw away a chance of election simply because the clusterfuck that's Brexit can then be blamed on Labour...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Indeed. Miata with no engine is better than fully functional PT Cruiser.

Having a mysterious itchy rash on your balls is better than a fully functional PT Cruiser.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

I'm a little jealous that a domestic juicer has better machining than my car does.

A few years ago I had a posh bike and the Chris King rear hub it had was obscenely well made...

Where most hubs clickety clack, these made a noise like a ziptie which turned into a scream when at speed. It was pretty great because it put riders off and they could hear you coming from a mile off to move over for you. They're not cheap but holy gently caress are they well made, I don't think I ever touched it to service it or even adjust it, I didn't need to despite subjecting it to environments that destroyed they shittier hubs of friends.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 22, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I intend that my next bike has a Chris King headset, because I've kind of fancied one for years, but would be inclined to go with Hope for most things if for no other reason than the :britain: factor.

King headsets are pretty great but the only reason I'd buy one is because they offer a 'rasta' colourway

I've a hope on mine and it's been perfect, King hubs are the one IMO.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

X-Lite's spin off brand Muc-Off still exists. I did see word of X-Lite coming back a few years ago but nothing seems to have come of it, I do see a short lady riding a very 90s UK jump bike with X-Lite parts on it though and wonder if she has any idea.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

944s are awesome, I do like a car with a nice set of hips.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont get this reference.....?

Decent quality but ultimately sub-Chris King parts. Also means you have things branded 'Phil' on your bike :crossarms:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cage posted:

I brought my 64oz growler...

A growler is UK slang for a particularly grimy/hairy lady's front bottom so this amused me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I just used the rack to perform my first proper at home squats and I did it without injury!

Rack? I hope it has safeties.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

funny Star Wars parody posted:

:sigh: at least i'm getting 150fps in overwatch on ultra

That's the most depressing sentence I've read in a while.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Back in the glory days of PC gaming it was the best, these days consoles easily keep up and the only reason to run a hideously overpriced PC gaming rig is to game at 4k on a monitor (which in itself is lol).

I sit my rear end down on a big comfy bean bag in front of a huge TV with a 5.1 setup from the gods, throw a game in and enjoy. These days I don't even have to wait to update games because I have the console do all that poo poo overnight. Consoles own these days as long as it's not a garbage-rear end xbone with it's messy as gently caress ADHD user interface.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

My build wasn't expensive at all ($600) and I've more than made up the difference with all the semiannual Steam sales, huge money saver.

My current gen console was $150 new, that's a whole lot of games, full price or otherwise. And it can do all the media streaming stuff too :awesomelon:

• Locked thread