Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Surf well man, I hope the curl breaks late out there.

Witnessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

In more :3: news, my daughter has named my new car Tobias. Now if I could just get "I blue myself" on a license plate somehow. I would get ANALRAPIST or SHEMALE but I'd be explaining myself too much.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Ice-T put on a dog mask for Tank Girl. Letterman or someone was making fun of him for it, and he was all "They paid me a million dollars to put that poo poo on." Then he pointed at the audience and said "Every one of you would have done that. ONE MILLION DOLLARS."

I think any working actor can put a good day's work into a role, they have no control over whether or not it turns out to be a poo poo product, especially at the point of contract signing. They gotta earn a paycheck just like the rest of us.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 4, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Of course. Had to happen sometime. After 18 years in Denver, dodging hailstorms the whole time... Until I buy my dream car. 2nd nicest car I've ever owned, 2nd most expensive, waited years to find the right one, and within the first month I get hit. Oh and special rare color so replacement panels are impossible to find without paintwork.

Fortunately only about 10 dents, should be easy and affordable to get them pulled, but with the car still wet I probably am underestimating.

These were the biggest and at least two of them hit my new car. Same for all the cars in the lot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

snail goat posted:

I'm so dependent on cars yelling at me if I leave my headlights on that I've left them on several times now on the Beetle, and either noticed running the dog out or in one case a visiting friend pointed it out to me. I need to look into some sort of after market chime, I really don't want to kill the battery, it's a pain in the rear end to access under the rear seat.

Really you should wire the headlights through a relay if they aren't already, then wire the headlight switch through the ignition switch. There really is never a time when you need headlights on and don't have the keys handy.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Raluek posted:

Unless you don't want to burn out your points from leaving your ignition on for awhile with the motor off :v:

Actually, maybe beetles have an ACC position. But wouldn't that need to tap somewhere besides IGN?

Also while you're re-wiring your headlights, upgrade to electronic ignition.

Seriously, gently caress points.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Do apartments let you buy your own permanent fixtures, or is something that should go through maintenance? That's the only reason I asked at all; I'd rather avoid dropping money on a place I'm not in permanently.

E VV fan, this is a follow-up to my last posts

What do you mean "let you"? You can buy and use whatever you want. I had a friend that upgraded all their appliances, they just put the lovely rental ones in the basement until they moved out. They also installed their own light fixtures and ceiling fans. Took them all when they moved out, replaced with original.

However, generally your landlord is required to maintain any fixtures that were there when you rented (this varies by state, double check) so if something breaks they should be fixing it. If you have a good relationship with your landlord you can ask if you can have input on replacement items such as your ceiling fan. Then you get the best of both worlds: a fan you like on your landlord's dime.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Rhyno posted:

BUT WHAT IF WE DRAIN THE SUN

I've been burned enough by that fucker over the years to want to burn it back.

EAT poo poo HOT SUN.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Update on my hail damage from earlier in the thread. Insurance paid me out $2900. They found damage I couldn't see, and I completely missed that one of my taillights got cracked. That pissed me off because I was just at the pick and pull and passed on two compatible taillights that may or may not be there when I go back.

It was kind of overkill really, they even allowed for windshield removal. Now for the quotes. That or I truly try my hand at PDR. I want to but I'm scared!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Get a door from a scrap yard and try first. PDR is tough to DIY learn. I have a nice and full set of PDR tools (about 70 pounds in a full gun case). I've read about theory, I've watched PDR people do the job. I've watched PDR people on youtube. I am fairly comfortable with the theory. But in practice... it takes a super-fine-tuned feel that is tough to pick up.

I've taken dings from noticeable to barely noticeable, and I've also made some more noticeable because I ended up with a bunch of high spots making the area a bit hilly. From what I've read, this is normal in the learning process, but certainly discouraging.

That's not to say "don't try it," but try it on something you don't care about. I'm slowly working on my Avalon which I give no shits about... so it's an ideal candidate.

I've watched it done in person, and youtube has endless videos showing how to, and it looks like tools are improving and the technique is evolving all the time, so yeah. I mean I could pocket $2700 if I can just make my car good enough for me. I'm patient.

Any chance you'd lend me the tools for the price of shipping? Otherwise I think I'm gonna go for it and buy a set.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I spent my whole 10 year marriage sharing one car. When I finally had enough of that bullshit and bought an $1800 beater for myself she filed for divorce. Not even joking.

Now I'm divorced with 4 cars. I consider it a step up.

(obviously there was more to it but I think the timing was funny)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone make an auto lift that doesn't require you to bolt it into the floor?

My buddy has a MaxJax 2 post lift that does about 45 inch height, and you epoxy anchors into the floor and bolt it down when you want it. Otherwise it can be unbolted and put away compactly. The posts have casters on them. He uses the poo poo out of it, durable and safe so far.

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/buy-purchase-maxjax-car-lift/dannmar-maxjax-standard-package.html?gclid=CKK-qtukj9QCFQwQaQodbzIBnw

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You just gave me PTSD from the toddler years. Luckily my daughter has great taste and got sick of his whiny rear end really quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'm gen X and I can't afford a $40k car. I can afford 4 $8000 cars though, which I'd rather do anyway.

Although I spent sunday morning drooling over a new V60 Polestar, holy poo poo. Not only was it gorgeous, it was the fastest Volvo in attendance at the import drags. If I sold all my other cars and parts I could get one and have tons of room in my garage. Actually tempting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread