Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Will a 2 stroke auger be alright not running it out of gas every night after use? Because I am not going to do that. Started building my fence today I got two posts out of 45 set I am halfway there (I am using 8-12 foot 6x6 and having to do it myself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

Are you talking 1 post a week or one post a month? Either way, it should be fine. I never run equipment completely out until I'm getting ready to store it longer then ~3 months.

I will be doing hopefully 5-10 posts a week just nights after work (out of town next couple of weekends). I am using ethanol free 40:1 tru-fuel. The manual says run it out after use but I can't/won't do that. Will be used at least weekly until fence done then I don't care if it ever runs again (need it to last maybe 2-3 months max)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

I have left a trimmer with tru-fuel in the tank sit for 2 years and it was fine.

Great to hear, and alsonthanks spyder

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

It will be fine, especially with tru fuel.

It doesn't have a fuel line shut-off? Seems pretty weird for the manufacturer to expect you to run the fuel tank dry, but I could see turning the fuel off and running the fuel out of the bowl.

ITs just the $250 auger with 8" wide bit that lowes sells (got it for $200) instructions explicitly say burn all the fuel each day. So I started with that in mind but couldn't get it to crank with just a 1/4 tank it said fill tank completely. Started right up after that. Like I said if I can get these 45 posts set with it I'm happy. Super bonus if it still running good after and I can sell it for $150. No cutoff or drain.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I did it the hard way, with a post digger son :colbert: Although the soil here is mostly sand so no biggie except when you run into rocks. I can't imagine hitting a good sized rock with an auger that's gotta suck.

I have no idea how you did it. Last fence I built was when I was 15 or so and helped my dad with a post hole digger and I can still feel that special sort of chest muscle pain. I am thoroughly exhausted enough after just this initial try. But do remember I am having to dig down 18-36 inches and setting 6x6 posts sondont think too bad of me!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have a business now and have to pay a yearly tax on THINGS I OWN. Like the value of your desk and your laptop and your file cabinets. Now for my tiny business this is a super low tax (I pay like $20-30) but I find this the most insane thing I can think of.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

CornHolio posted:

So a buddy of mine is looking at a 1999 Range Rover.

I told him to never buy a $2500 Range Rover, but other than that advice, what should he be looking for if he goes to check this out and how bad of a vehicle will it be for him?

Tell him to buy a $2500 corolla or camry and enjoy life. Plus that looks and sounds more like a $700 RR

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Congrats we have talked about number three as a possibility because why not YOLO

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Would I be stupid

Say hello to bio-degradable wiring harness! Never mind the rest of the car we make our wiring harnesses eco-friendly!

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 8, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am hesitant to post this, as I can see it can be looked at multiple ways. But yesterday in Nashville on a 4 lane road (5 if you count turning lane) wife and I approach a funeral procession on opposite side (oncoming). Police and highway patrol were not involved but beat to hell 20 year old Caprices with purple flashing lights. We slowed to under 5 miles an hour and I saw 5-10 cars slowly get in right lane and proceed at sub 5 mph. Now it is a custom in TN amd one I respect to stop for funerals. But we were in (or I was in) a rush and so I in the left lane approach at sub 5 mph and when I get to the front where this "patrol car" is I start sliding to the right and this jackass tatted head to toe rent a cop wannabe jumps in front of my car and won't let me pass on oncomi side! I motion for him to get the gently caress out of the way and he flags the other two cars and they come and box me in! Sirens wailing purple lights flashing. He is yelling get out of the car and please remember these are 20!year old shitbixes with their transport company logos crudely painted on the side. Without saying anything else about what I think or feel what do y'all think about this situation? I am open to criticism if you think I was in the wrong.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Call the police and tell them that these plates were driving aggressively and attempting to run you off the road

I am contemplating making a police report. Am trying to objectively look at it from all sides. My wife was furious at me for not complying with the rent a cops demands. Please anyone comment good or bad. Was I in the wrong? There is no law or requirement I stop for funeral but it is a practice here.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Is it legal to have flashing lights and sirens on a private vehicle on public roads in TN? I know in a lot of places it's not.

I dunno, dude. I live in Canada so I don't know what the customs are for dealing with idiots like that down there but all I can say is file a police report and hope the local southern sheriff or whatever doesn't decide to make an example out of you for somehow slandering the good God-fearing name of the deceased in that procession and his/her family.

No they were purple light bars legal if not blue or red as far as I know. This was a company that apparently exists for purposes such as funerals but being from Nashville first time I have ever seen these poo poo boxes. I do feel like I was illegally detained. I did not get out of car. They took off like 2 minutes later.
I don't have plates but have the company name memorized.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am just pissed. Shaking with rage while it happened thankful I kept it contained during it as in my old age I've learned some things aren't worth it. My wife now admits I was right and what they did was illegal. Will sleep on whether or not is worth my time or life to bother with it as I am happy and blessed but man I am so loving mad.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

funny Star Wars parody posted:

To me spending a bit of time keeping those fuckers from doing that to someone else is worth it

Oh I agree. I am just thinking of the kids. My wife is terrified of them "tracking us down" if I file a report. If it was just me I would welcome them doing that. Old man thinking blurs that thought.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

You certainly don't have to comply with these idiot rent a cops, and I would absolutely report their actions. I'd have done it immediately so it would surely bite them in the rear end.

That being said, stopping for funerals is all but (and sometimes is) law in The South. I'm usually pretty anti "the way things are" but it's one fight I leave be. I guess it's a tradition I'm just used to, or maybe I kinda like it that way.

Why I was hesitant to post, and I am a respectful person. But this was a 4/5 lane road (technically it's a highway but considered a road by locals). Again 5-10 cars went to right lane and slipped by respectfully at 5 mph. I tried to do same don't know what provoked outrage other than I had to get a little closer to the start because one car did stop right lane? And I looked it up there is no law preventing me from blowing past at speed limit (which is 50) but I would never do that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

I bought the comfiest loving stool for the shop today. It's literally the best piece of shop furniture I've ever found. I can't wait to rack up hours of rear end-to-cushing mileage on this thing.

What is It? I got a Gibson guitar stool for my little shop it's pretty nice.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Of course. Had to happen sometime. After 18 years in Denver, dodging hailstorms the whole time... Until I buy my dream car. 2nd nicest car I've ever owned, 2nd most expensive, waited years to find the right one, and within the first month I get hit. Oh and special rare color so replacement panels are impossible to find without paintwork.

Fortunately only about 10 dents, should be easy and affordable to get them pulled, but with the car still wet I probably am underestimating.

These were the biggest and at least two of them hit my new car. Same for all the cars in the lot.

Would be very interested in you documenting the debt pulling. Going with a paintless expert or trying it yourself?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Enourmo posted:

I dunno, it's weird. While it was running the other day it suddenly started making a loud buzzing noise (which it makes if I try to spin the blades with the power turned on) and coasted to a stop. If I touch the housing I can feel it vibrating, so the motor's trying to do something. Spins quiet when it's switched off so it's not bearings or anything.

It is getting power, go buy a new $30-50 fan and save yourself trouble. Googling or ebay you can find $15 off 50 lowes coupons all day long just FYI

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So far I have set 13 8 foot 6x6 posts all by myself and feeling a little accomplished. This covers the main point of egress for the kids as the rest of the yard has a natural brush/tree fence line. I'm going to start building the actual fence and gate part I think so we can have a "closed" yard for the kids playing outside this summer and resume post setting after this section done. Sure mistakes were made and some posts are not laser aligned down to the millimeter but I feel pretty good just having used a tape measure, a level and my eyes.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Real talk on solar, at least it has trickled down enough that I have a few friends living the sailboat life that have managed to turn a few hundred bucks of Chinese solar junk into viable off shore power sources. And they seem to like it from their blog and social media posts.

I think anyone who makes their own car company is cool but I foresee a lot more deaths with the whole self driving stuff, it's just not there yet. I don't care enough about Elon or anyone else to comment more except I wish I was rich.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There is a 104k mile Boxster that has had the IMS done local guy asking 5800 and wants it gone. I'm sure 5 would buy it. I just can't. Got 3 cars in the drive away and major projects going. If anyone wants the info let me know. Silver/black car.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

so far in 5 months my wife has ruined the paint on the hood of the car and now this (backed into a barrier at a playground). i mean what the hell.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

$500 Merc it is.

How is she with peeling, discoloured window tint and the persistent smell of wet dog?

She bitched and moaned about driving her old explorer that she treated like her personal dumpster and that now she can't find the title for. drat new for 2016 LED tail light can't find except used and cracked for $150-200. Geez.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Wait till you see the price toyota dealers ask for parts. Your best bet is to just resign yourself to letting it deteriorate and then paying your insurance deductible and getting it fixed before you sell it.

I have a low deductible and full coverage on this paid off car would they fix the paint fuckup too? I'm not used to dealing with insurance for something we're at fault for. I'm just thinking about finding a tail light and realigning and popping out bumper best I can.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have progressive, I am way overinsured 3 vehicles paid off all have full coverage with 50-500 deductible (highest for new car). Should I use insurance or am I loving myself? I can pay anything out of pocket but why do I pay 1200 a year insurance? Or do I just say gently caress it leave it wrecked.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My mother in law has slowly destroyed her HHR over the years, we just never bothered to get all the dents and scratches fixed because why bother.

I understand this thinking, it's just man this is a brand new freaking car. Yes I know it's just a Prius but I enjoyed driving it solo to a funeral last week and being in a new car. Now it's already looking like poo poo. Tried to do something nice. I don't know what to do.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Just chill and let it go. Or stop driving it.

That taillight is probably $600 by itself.

The first new car I bought was a 2009 cobalt SS turbo. It got rear ended at night 2 weeks after I bought it and I didn't see the damage. The lady who did it gave me false information. I just let it go and moved on.

I have a 2013 Prius C. I had it 6 months and took it through a car wash. The attendant got too close to the front bumper cover and took some paint off. Of course they wouldn't own up to it the next day when I noticed. Last year I backed into some trailer ramps and mauled up the rear bumper. And this year it got backed into and the drivers door smashed up. Since the door wouldn't open we got it all fixed($3200ish).

I warned my wife not to let bugs and bird poo poo sit on the fresh paint. It got fixed in march and just got its first wash yesterday. Guess what the paint looks like?

My point is, if you drive the car it's going to happen. If someone else drives the car, especially if they aren't writing checks for it, it's going to happen even more often. You can either live with it, pay the price to fix it, or stop buying new cars. And don't put it down because it's a Prius. Mine has been hands down the best vehicle purchase I have ever made. No, it's not exciting, but it's not supposed to be. What it's supposed to do is get you there reliability, comfortably, and using the least amount of resources. It excels at all three.

Oh I love the Prius just when it got the poo poo scratched out of it lots of people here were like who gives a poo poo it's a Prius. Right now I think I'm just gonna get a tail light off a wrecked one for $200 take the back bumper off, get around to installing this hitch I have for it, pop the bumper out and just deal with knowing I can't live the nice things lifestyle. I'll continue to drive my 15 year old station wagon that I keep squeaky clean. Sigh. Thanks for everyone's input seriously.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

I want to chirp back up as one of the people who said it happens. I did not mean to put your car down. I drive a boring new Forester. It's the first new car I've ever bought, and a week into ownership my wife scraped the back bumper. And the kid spilled milk, several times, all over. And the wife has a makeup stain on the vanity mirror. And I've stopped tracking it anymore. It's the family car and poo poo's gonna happen when you're maneuvering groceries and a kid, or just backing out of a busy parking lot. I

My point was it seemed your new prius was a family car, and as such you should mellow out on it getting hosed up because that's what your spouse and children will do. Either accept it happens or be pissed all the time.

I'm not pissed, tbh I'm just a little sad and sick over a 5 month old car already looking like this. My main thought right now is WHY DO I PAY ALL THIS loving INSURANCE? am I an idiot for having full coverage with low deductibles when I don't even use it? I like Progressive they paid off happily when stuff not my fault happened in the past but poo poo. I don't know I'm not pissed just wish the car could stay nice. I use my station wagon as a car hauler and a truck and it looks better than this newborn Prius. I don't have a point just barf.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just finished nice build for a customer i7-7700 with gtx 1070 must be nice to have the time to play games

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Seller refurbforless has NEW retail boxes i7-7700 for $270 shipped of anyone else doing a build. They are legit seller.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I'm just dreaming but would love to hear people's thoughts on if this would be worth $750 (it's an AMEX platinum offer I just got sent):

Experience the agility, speed, and luxury of Lamborghini as you test the limits of the dynamic Aventador S, Hurac˙n Coupe, and Hurac˙n RWD Coupé on the iconic triangular 2.5 mile track
- Partake in cornering, acceleration, braking and full-track driving exercises under the guidance of professional Lamborghini instructors
- Learn about the innovative solutions that Lamborghini is adopting for their future series-production models
- During a private lunch hosted by an Automobili Lamborghini Senior Executive, discover how the company's vast history and finest Italian traditions are helping develop the future of exotic cars
- Enjoy unprecedented thrills during an on-track racing experience unlike any other, with one of the world's premiere super sports car manufacturers

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

It sounds fun, but I'm not sure it's worth $750.

Depends how much seat time you get, and how much freedom to actually drive the car(s) without being excessively nannied.

I'm not either, what does one of those rent a lambo at a track for 3 laps or whatever cost?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

MrChips posted:

About 750 dollarydoos.

E: I should also say that literally all of those exotic car driving experiences are completely and utterly not worth the money they charge.

Good to know!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Don't be believe anything you get told before being married. Please. And after kids try to cash that golden ticket.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'm not worried, she's been supportive of everything I want to do, me owning one vehicle would benefit her job as the company views residents who park outside of their garage as irksome.

I'm a get me an Evo.

Man that is awesome and I am glad for you. Maybe you will live the utopian dream we all once had. They promised we didn't have to change. THEY LIED TO US. I hope it better for you.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

We live at the property she works at. I have three cars here now with the PT coming shortly. None of the current cars are an eyesore but they prefer residents to park inside.
It makes her look better to the higher ups if we have a clear driveway.

Man you a regular on AI and this doesn't raise any red flags?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Why would it raise red flags? Its a rental property, they like weird stuff. I'm not allowed to work in the car with the garage door open either, is that a deal breaker as well?

Man that is up to you. I'm not judging. But in your current situation I don't think you are gonna get to YOLO EVO like you think you are. But I'm just a sad sack married 8 years I don't know you. I think some others though might say hmm here. You do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I have little to worry about, neither of us want kids and she encourages me to do my car stuff.

I'm also tired of working on poo poo, project cars can eat me

Man I want you to know not giving you a hard time I am not one to judge. I wish you the best.

• Locked thread