Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

STR dodges tornados

NBC DFW posted:

A Canton car dealership took a direct hit when a twister roared through town Saturday evening.
Interstate 20 Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Canton received widespread damage to a new showroom and maintenance facility.

Irony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Speaking of bikes... stepdad is cleaning out the garage at my parents house and found my cheap lovely bike. Called me asking if I wanted it.

It needs some work to be rideable again (mainly the shifters are all sorts of hosed up), but hey... bike I forgot about years ago suddenly reappears. There's plenty of trails around the lake nearby.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Here is a picture of me:

I thought you were bald? :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Immediately wants painkillers and zofran (anti-nausea medication)
known drug seeker

How in the hell is Zofran abuseable? I know it can be a godsend for those going through opiate withdrawal, but I had no idea it had any abuse potential.

Also,

KozmoNaut posted:

You're a good person. I don't know how else to express my appreciation for the fact that people like you exist in the world.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Some jackass shot an EMT the other day.

Now there's a shooting at a community college here.

Dallas, you're losing your mind.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

Ahhh just landed in Austin :burger:

Kerbey Lane Cafe. Get their queso. Not much else on the menu is worth writing home about (the food's pretty decent, but it's just diner fare for the most part), but the Kerbey Queso is pretty awesome.

Try to hit up Paco's Tacos too. My favorite tacos there are the Carne Guisada, Paco's Pick, and The Hatch. I'd suggest Torchy's Tacos too, but they're not an Austin exclusive anymore. Alamo Drafthouse Theater is also a good stop (if you go, show up at least 30 min early, and TURN OFF YOUR PHONE, they will absolutely throw you out if you so much as look at it once the lights go down), but they've expanded outside of Austin as well.

I'm probably gonna be down there sometime next month.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

keykey posted:

My kids basically get my wife and my old phones for this exact reason. They still aren't getting a sim card to rear end of with though, because gently caress overages.

Just uh, keep in mind that even a phone without a SIM can still dial fun numbers.

Like 911.

And a larger PSAP has the ability to get a decent location on the phone if that happens.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

You should be able to completely disable the dialer and contacts apps on a rooted phone. I think that'll prevent emergency calls, too.

Depends on the version of Android and manufacturer customization. Some can still dial from the lock screen if you tap "emergency".

Goober Peas posted:

A guy just passed me in the hallway at work. He weighed about 400lbs. You literally could smell the diabeetus. Like, he had a strong odor of sugar. No kidding.

That dude needs to be in an ER if his sugar is that high.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 5, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fair enough. My phone is rooted, but otherwise on stock firmware.

Xposed doesn't work on Nougat yet :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

20 hours a week is a lot of loving video game time! I still want to play them, but maybe like an hour a day at most.

I've lost 20lbs in two months. I've cut all sugary juices out of my diet and all fried food. Previously I ate fried chicken 3 times a week, 5 Guys twice a week etc. I buy and eat fruit, low calorie foods, cook at home 5 days a week now.

For exercise I hit the elliptical every day for 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes depending on how much time I have. Three days a week I'm doing a basic weight routine.

The biggest change is I got off my rear end and decided to make a goddamned change. Anyone who knows me in person can attest to how lazy I was, I didn't want that anymore. My friend's murder was a major motivator to make this happen.

And I'm 5 pounds away from my 90 day goal and I have an entire month left to hit it.

Nice man. I got rid of sugary drinks entirely when I found out I had the beetus - I'll have a soft drink once or twice a month, but otherwise I mostly drink water. I try to avoid fried foods too (but I slip up with a chicken fried steak a few times a year). But I don't cook nearly as much as I should.

5 minutes on an elliptical has me begging for death. I can handle about 45 minutes on the treadmill so long as I don't get beyond jogging.

I'm sitting at 190, but I haven't been exercising much. Finally got the new door code for the fitness center at my apartments, I keep telling myself I'll use it more than once every few months. :sigh: They have a couple of treadmills, a couple of bikes, and an elliptical in there.. plus some weights. I'd like to get down to 150-160. I have no excuse not to go there except for laziness - it's probably a quarter mile walk, or a 2 minute drive at parking lot speeds. There's also a lot of trails within a couple of miles of me - I wouldn't call them "hiking", more like a walk/jog around a lake, but they're walker friendly, and bicycle friendly. If I drive a bit further I can find some really nice stuff

Tomarse posted:

Is anybody else here using a fitbit? I want more fitbit friends! This week me, my sister and a mate did the fitbit workweek challenge and it was fun and got me out walking more! (and I'm in the lead by 2k with 1 hour left after a 3 mile hike thisafternoon!)

I have one, but don't use it nearly enough. I've found it winds up counting a shitload of steps while I'm driving unless I keep my left hand off the steering wheel (I should probably get my tires re-balanced... or... well, since they're legally bald, new tires). If I can keep it from counting steps while driving, I average about 8k a day. Used to knock out 15k+ when I worked at Pizza Hut.

There's several nice trails around me that are both walking and biking friendly (I wouldn't really call it "hiking" when it's just a trail around a lake). I need to take my bike out to some of them.

fake edit: huh, I just now noticed you tried to add me on fitbit... last year. :v: Shows how often I actually go to the website.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Very good.

Vaping jackass somewhere nearby in the theater who couldn't stop sucking robodong long enough to watch it: should be drawn and quartered.

This is why if I'm going to the movies, it's usually Alamo Drafthouse. They'll kick your rear end out if you so much as pull your phone out of your pocket and I love them for that. Also, no ads; they do 30 minutes of pre-movie programming, but it's all in-house stuff. They'll promote their own upcoming shows, but none of the typical ads you typically see.

They're running Super Troopers next week, with proceeds benefiting a foundation that helps families of first responders killed on the job :patriot:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 6, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I've mentioned that I went to a tiny as hell high school. It'd be a magnet school today; in the 90s, it was essentially the private school for those with severe ADD (along with a bit of kids that got kicked out of alternative schools).

Looked up my favorite teacher the other day. He's on facebook. He got old. We're friends now.

He starts sending me links to random 80s post-punk music videos. Cool, he has awesome taste in music! Finally says "smoke before you watch this"

Me: "tobacco or weed? :haw:"

Him: "BOTH"

It's been 23 years since I had a class with him, but suddenly his teaching style makes so much more sense. Also weed in NM is apparently really cheap. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 6, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah uh.... jumping on the "gently caress late 90s/early 00s Mercedes" bandwagon.

If you do get it... make sure you don't park it near anything flammable unless you have good insurance and can add it to the eventual fire claim no don't do that

edit: holy poo poo, next week makes 12 11 years on SA. :corsair:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 7, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well gently caress.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's okay, someone wrote a 57 step guide to doing a manual swap on the SVX!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

scuz posted:

Congratulations also on finding a RadioShack!

In late 2004 or early 2005, I got brought in by an IT contractor that was subcontracted by a moving company... to pack up all the computers at every desk, label everything, and hook everything back up. At Tandy/Radio Shack's old and new HQ in Ft Worth.

My god... their new campus was ridiculous. You needed a goddamn map to get through the place, and getting lost was really easy. Their old HQ was pretty easy to navigate - 2 office towers connected by a mall (?!?). The new campus is 4 buildings and around 900,000 sq ft. They had over 2300 people working there at the time... they wound up selling the campus to a real estate company shortly after moving in, who eventually sold it to Tarrant County College - and RS currently occupies a tiny portion of the campus. They were half a million behind on rent when this article was written 2 years ago, and a more recent article claims they may be moving out completely.

I remember walking into the place and wondering how the hell they pulled off financing it back then; it was pretty well known that they weren't doing great even then.

I will say the CEO suite in the old HQ was pretty sweet... even had its own private elevator, bathroom (with shower), etc, and was all dark wood with brass or gold plated fixtures. Only got to step foot into the CEO suite for a few minutes though, and it was just so a few of us could gawk at it. Also got to see what was left of the mall (which had been shut down for a couple of years, though Radio Shack had a concept store in there - they had one or two concept stores in the new campus, too). Didn't get to see their private subway, it'd also been shut down for a few years by then.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 8, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

You mean the tram in from the parking lot on the river to the west? I rode in on that several times to go ice skating, or just wander around downtown Ft. Worth without paying for parking. It worked. It was a lot like the old version of the DFW Airport tram. Slow, and basically a guided electric bus.
I always wondered how Tandy could afford that campus - I guess the answer was they couldn't, and it pretty much typified how Tandy Corp was run. I used to work for Computer City, and while they weren't the worst employer, I hear that they weren't the best at employee treatment. I didn't work there long enough to find out, really.

Yup, though it was officially known as the Tandy Center Subway.

I never knew there was a mall (or ice rink!) in that building until I got that temp job, but the only time I've lived west of 35E is when I lived in El Paso (I was driving from Plano every day for that job, thankfully it was only a couple of months). The ice rink was closed several years before the mall itself though; if various articles are to be believed, it's because Tandy couldn't afford to pay for liability insurance on it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So how long until you fix the bad coolant sensor? :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm more concerned about the airbag light.

Unfortunately, need a Tech2 or something like a Verus to dig that deep on his car. Basically a reader that can speak GM LAN.

LloydDobler posted:

Of course. Had to happen sometime. After 18 years in Denver, dodging hailstorms the whole time... Until I buy my dream car. 2nd nicest car I've ever owned, 2nd most expensive, waited years to find the right one, and within the first month I get hit. Oh and special rare color so replacement panels are impossible to find without paintwork.

Goddamn. A photographer/storm chaser I follow posted a radar screenshot of that poo poo. Looked really ugly.

About a year ago we got pounded with anything from dime size to grapefruit size hail (depending where you were). The grapefruit poo poo went right through the roof of a lot of houses, but it mostly hit out in the northeastern sticks (Wylie, Sachse, etc). A few friends had all of their cars written off at once with that, on top of their houses being left uninhabitable for a bit. Thankfully where I was at only saw about nickle size - parents got a new roof and fence out of it, my car and mom's car escaped any damage (stepdad's truck got a few dings).

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Never if I can help it

Eh.. I don't know you, but that message coming up every time I drove (along with the DING DING DING DING warning when it pops up) would drive me loving crazy. Altho IIRC you silenced yours, right?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 9, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I decided to keep the annoying beeps/chimes when I discovered you get them if the alternator craps out (belt shredded)... or if the airbag light comes on... or, well, if any warning light comes on aside from the check engine light.

I also have automatic headlights... but occasionally turn them on manually (usually if I'm doing deliveries at night and can't really see my way to the customer's door). Without that chime I'd completely forget to turn them off. :v: The automatic ones stay on for about 30 seconds after shutting off the car, I'm used to them still being on by the time I'm out of sight.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

I just like the chime that tells me I've left my key in the ignition. I lose my keys so easily...

Holy poo poo! The ripples, signal noise, and flashes that I've seen for my entire life are real medical issues that have an actual name. It's a mix of phosphenes and visual snow

I may still be crazy, but I'm technically not hallucinating!

Eh... I always use the fob to lock/unlock my car, I usually notice if I don't have the keys with me at that point. And if I actually do lock the doors with the power lock button (which sets off 3 chimes in the car, and the car won't lock until ~5 seconds after the last door is closed), I keep a spare in my wallet. The only time I've ever used a key to unlock the car has been when I somehow manage to lock my keys in, or when the battery is disconnected while I'm working on it, and happen to take a break for a bit (which in my mind, requires locking the car... don't want to come back out to find out I'm missing a stereo again). I have a bad habit of pulling the key out just enough to shut up the chime if for some reason I'm leaving the keys in it briefly.

Also uh... I've had visual snow most of my life. Hallucinogens did make me a lot more aware of it, and if I happen to do a bit of :350:, I notice it more than I would while sober. (and of course, now that I'm thinking about it, it's a shitload worse than usual... you just did the Rick Roll of visual snow :argh:)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 9, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm in the same boat. Anytime I'm indoors and/or in lower light than bright rear end daylight, it's a bit of a mental battle to drown it out.

It's especially bad when I'm looking at something like a PC monitor. :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

Well holy poo poo, I didn't know that anyone else knew my pain. Is your night vision kind of weird too? I had trouble learning to navigate at night and used to be unable to read street signs until I learned to repeatedly refocus my eyes to get a clear view of the letters

My night vision is fair. It's not great, but it's not horrific. I can't read street signs at night unless I'm standing next to them, but I've been using smartphone navigation to get around for ages now (coming from someone who drives for a living). Even if I'm driving home, I'll still fire up Google Maps or Waze just to make sure I avoid traffic, construction, etc.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 9, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

LoL, picking out songs for the wedding and there's gonna be so much loving Queen.

Under Pressure.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I went to a painfully expensive super posh wedding a few years ago where the bride insisted the first dance was to that "let the bodies hit the floor" track. She was wearing big black new rock boots under her dress.

That's... pretty awesome.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

:popeye: you can't fire your investigator

Certainly not with that attitude!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ferremit posted:

Well I just got in writing that if I've got annual leave I should take it before end of financial year because we're completely over budget and there's going to be no funding until next year so I might as well be on holidays instead of sweeping out the shed. Even the state lands manager suggested we all take 6 weeks leave...

6 weeks? Holy poo poo.

I've only had one job where you could roll over vacation days year to year, and even then, they wouldn't let you take more than 2 weeks at a time.

e: MURIKA

You Am I posted:

The prefect wedding song was done by Type O Negative - "I Know You're loving Someone Else"

drat, been a really long time since I heard of them. I think I saw them once in the late 90s?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 10, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm trying to figure out how vacation pay costs the company more/less than actually working, and I'm failing. When I've taken vacation, taxes were still taken out of my paycheck, and the company had to pay for it directly out of their own coffers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

You can partially or totally shut down and significantly reduce other overheads.

Makes sense. I've worked some form of customer service in every job I've had, so shutdowns just didn't happen outside of Christmas.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 10, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Texas has enough assholes.

e: welp guess who has a monitor that decided vertical banding is awesome. At least it's my 2nd monitor (~9 year old 20" Dell) instead of my main one (~5 year old 22" Acer).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 11, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

Be excellent to each other.

Party on dudes

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think that counts as an orgy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Want a Viewsonic VG2230wm 22"? May need a cap kit for the power supply. I ended up with several that sometimes take a few minutes to power up. Their wider than 4:3, but not quite 16:9. Probably 10 years old, but I'm using two that I replaced the capacitors on, and they're working fine.

I may take you up on that. I already have a TV that needs the same, I can eventually knock them both out at the same time (emphasis on eventually). :v: Looks like the resolution is the same as the 20" Dell.

e: hm... I just realized I'm running it over VGA. Might try it on DVI, if I can find one of my DVI cables. May or may not help.

BigPaddy posted:

Do you know how much a jizz mopper makes?

As a matter of fact Randal, I do. $8.25/hr at a local chain of 24 hour places.

I don't think they've raised it (... the pay, that is) since minimum wage last increased.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 12, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

Well I, for one, want to know why a laundry chute has a fusible link

Helps prevent fire (and smoke) from spreading between floors. Fire? Fusible link breaks, door should slam shut.

They're also used on air handlers that serve multiple areas for the same reason.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mom finally got her car into the shop to fix the oil leaks (a good shop, owned by a friend).

As expected, they said it was leaking pretty drat bad from the rear valve cover. As expected, they said the steering rack leak was so tiny that they didn't see any reason to fix it (it's been seeping, very slightly, since the car had about 50k on it - it has 160k now, fluid has had to be topped off twice in the 14 years since she bought it brand new). She also got the rear struts done and one of the half shafts. $1200 all in, with an OEM valve cover set, KYB struts, and I'm assuming the half shaft is a reman from O'Reilly's or Napa. I feel like that's an honest price for the work done, considering it's a 1MZ-FE - the upper intake has to come off to get to the valve covers. Same shop did the timing belt last year (along with crank and cam seals), but on that engine, the valve covers don't have to come off for that.

Not expected - shop told her they found a couple of loose nuts bouncing around under one of the valve covers (I'm assuming they weren't referring to themselves :v:). The last shop that had the valve covers off had it go back to them 3 times over it leaking, finally gave up.

I'm amazed that nothing got hosed up. Chunks of metal bouncing around 2 spinning cams and 12 valves? That could have ended badly.

It goes back in a couple of weeks for front struts.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly, I'm not sure. I know it's been to a dealer twice for oil leaks (first time paid, second time was a go back), and to the previous shop at least 3 times (1 paid, 2 go backs). The shop she used today is very detail oriented and generally goes for OEM parts, so if you're referring to today's visit, I'd guess they did. They hate go backs, and they hate unhappy customers (they have a solid 5 star rating on yelp over their 6 year history, and I've known the owner for about 20 years). So far every major leak has been from the rear valve cover. I haven't seen the invoice yet though.

It was the rear valve cover that was pissing, so it was hard for me to get a decent look at. But I don't remember seeing any oil along the top or middle, seemed like it was mostly from the bottom. My stepdad manages their finances for the most part, and he's notoriously cheap (and it keeps biting him in the rear end - i.e. he's on his 4th transmission on his F-150, with a whole 130k on the truck - he'll stand there and haggle for hours until you give up over $10 on a $1000 repair bill).

It does seem like the 1MZ is very leak prone.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Witness?

Witness.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So a 2006 Cobalt LTZ with 85k is worth $8k, right? :v:

Old roommates said they're picking it up tomorrow. 25% APR, buy here pay here lot. And I thought I overpaid for my Ionry (which is pretty much the same car).

angryrobots posted:

I'm wondering if an actual state issued title was ever printed...we bought the car new so I assume if the bank had anything it was the certificate of origin provided by Honda?

I'm thinking either I get nothing (bank sends CO to DMV and they record the release of lien; I have to request a printed title) or the DMV sends me a new title in the next couple weeks.

FWIW, my registration said "electronic title on file" until I paid my car off. Pretty sure the bank didn't have a physical copy of the title; once it was paid off I got a paper title with no lienholder.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Or be Atheist, like me, which is still largely a crime.

Not exactly a friendly place for LGBT individuals either.

gay atheist checking in, I'd probably be dead before I got off the plane

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh c'mon now, we don't need to shoot him for taking a free PT.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Uh... that's definitely an interesting failure. Can't say I've seen a compressor do this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsM_eC02glo

Looks like the clutch came apart a bit? The clutch is very much off center now, and not engaging or fully disengaging.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 17, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't think it locked up, but 2 of the 3 pins sheared off, and the clutch is off center now. It's still spinning the compressor, just very, very slowly. But right when the ac quit working, I saw a bit of vapor come out from under the hood, and could smell (and taste :barf: ) whatever it is that makes R134a smell so terrible, so whatever happened, I'm guessing it took out the front seal on it.

I'm not sure what the hell could even cause it to go off center like that. I'm just hoping it didn't nuke anything besides the compressor. :ohdear: AC has always worked really well on this car, and there was no warning, no funny sounds when it happened, car didn't jerk.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 17, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bearing is what I'm leaning toward. I'm the first to admit I don't really understand the inner workings of a compressor though, particularly a variable displacement one like the one on this car.

The compressor has always had an audible whine when it's particularly warm outside (90+), I never really looked into why it was doing that. But it's been that way since I bought the car 4 1/2 years ago.

I don't have the tools or the place to fix it myself, it'll have to go to a friend's shop when I have the money. New compressor is $350 w/clutch, dryer is built into the condenser, so throw another $70 on top... then add labor. Assuming it didn't poo poo anything like black death or metal shavings through the system. :suicide:

leica, I can still turn the compressor by hand with the engine off (the center part), and it's still rotating a little bit on its own with the engine running. I don't think the compressor locked up, at least not completely. When I've had compressors lock up before, it was really obvious when it happened (sudden jerk, belt slipping, broken belt, etc). None of that happened - saw some vapor or smoke briefly, and could smell/taste the bitterant they use in refrigerant, then warm air. The clutch is definitely dead though, it's open circuit, and there's metal shavings around the front of the compressor.

I'm just hoping it didn't poo poo up the lines with metal or teflon.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

Next time some people wanna talk some goddamn poo poo there will be third album full of csb's dick.

I'm gonna need a few more monitors.

• Locked thread