Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mulva posted:

Most actually don't, as healthy children tend to have a nice protective sheen of nearly sociopathic self-interest by and large. It's only later in life that they develop the scope to actually consider the self in relation to others in such a way as to go "What if everything I believe is just a lie and reality is actually far different?". Children that actually wonder if everything is secretly horrible are rare [Not massively so, but still] and often given a reason to question. Be it some tragedy or poor parenting.

Which were you?

You seem to have lost focus from comic book movies and how the villain in GotG2 is an ineffective mix of poorly-articulated father-son worries and sci-fi concepts.

lol. That's a Clevining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Revenant Threshold posted:

Seriously, though; it's not sex that's a "huge, all-consuming and growing thing" that provides a threat. Quite the opposite; the literal, textual example is Ego self-propagating, and destroying the good that came from sex in order to do so.

It is the only sex that certifiably exists in GotG 2. Ego is the only sex-haver - everyone else has to make do with offscreen conquests or hugs. That's why sex ends up being bad in the movie

Revenant Threshold posted:

the threat of the abusive father and the threat of the existential threat are the same; death, and usage to further Ego. .

Yes, global warming is very much like abusive fathers.

Mulva posted:

No I'm pretty sure nothing you've said has ever actually been about movies.

It's true. I've been talking Ovid's Metamorphoses the whole time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Your image macro is a bit self-defeating - you're equating me with Superman, the embodiment of Truth and Justice.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mulva posted:

Or he's comparing you to someone who died because they were too stupid to let a point go.

I don't think it'll come to that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Hydronium posted:

If a villain has a bunch of kids and murders them, and you think him having kids is supposed to be the bad part, that might say more about you than it does about the movie.

It's not the bad part.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thank god there's wholesome stuff like people dying painfully in the void of space.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

Those are quite clearly not the things that Peter gives a flying gently caress about, let alone fears.

You're confusing Star-Lord with the audience.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Art? Making people...feel...emotions? What the hell?

ruddiger is mocking people who imprint emotionally on tent pole blockbusters.

GotG2's emotional landscape is poorly developed and immature (like with its attitude to sex). Crying at it is a bit silly.

Gyges posted:

Are people generally afraid their dad will abandon them after he already did so 34 years ago?

Movies tend to have things like themes that resonate with audiences. When a movie is exploring themes like absent parents or fear of manipulation, audiences may find them resonant.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

One of my friend's is still dealing with losing his father almost four years afyer the fact and felt pretty strongly affected by it, so I don't blame anybody for crying. But whatever helps you guys feel like the coolest cats around I guess.

Hopefully they can move past and recover from such a loss.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No, I'm a

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mulva posted:

Type of thing to come out of the mouth of someone that needs their shirt pulled up over the head while people kick them in the rear end for 5 minutes?

Hahahaha

You actually want someone to get beaten up because they didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 10, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sure, Yondu's death is a bit heavily foreshadowed. But there was enough going on otherwise that I wasn't sure until pretty late in the climax that it was going to take place. We've spent enough time with him to grow to like him as a character and to understand how Peter would come to view him as his true father, and to lose two fathers at once is pretty brutal.

It is fitting that in a movie about that's nominally about the worth of outcasts and scum of the galaxy, the only real outcasts and scum of the galaxy all die.

Mulva posted:

I think you'll find I've spent nearly all my time making fun of people for who they are rather than their criticisms of the movie :smug:

Well yes, that's what makes it doubly pathetic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What do you think about GotG and GotG2? I find them very lacking, especially how they don't look very funny despite being very visually-oriented comedies.

Or that when dramatic, they don't look very dramatic:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 10, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

I have no idea what random screengrabs are supposed to prove.

GotG movies are unimpressive past the immediate observation that they're colourful and sometimes pretty. Hitch-Hiker's for example shows how forgettable GotG 1&2 are for massive sci-fi adventure extravaganzas.

The reaction that visuals don't matter is predictable.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 10, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Oh, we're back here again? Yeah, agreed, Hitchhiker's Guide sure was more memorable than Guardians

No one was making that claim.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

You said one made the other look forgettable, a supremely ironic statement.

I'm specifically talking about visuals. GotG 1&2 feature very impressive technical achievements, but they're in the service of very bland sci-fi. This is why the movies rely so heavily on catchy pop songs to hammer in certain scenes.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 10, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Tintin is the best comic book movie.

Phylodox posted:

I mean, let's take it as a given for a moment that Hitchhiker's Guide's visuals are, just, hands down better than Guardians'. Just for the sake of argument. Do you know what you've successfully proven? That visuals don't matter in film.

That's plain wrong, since film is a visual medium. It's the image that draws people in and enchants them. Audience's like GotG's generic sci-fi vision, but that doesn't really make it good.

It's a rather cowardly argument, admitting that a movie's visuals are mediocre but at the same time declaring it doesn't matter. I might as well declare that comic book illustrations don't matter.

sean10mm posted:

I'm starting to think he just finds the repetition soothing.

That joke doesn't really work, since I've been mostly calling it just Hitch-Hiker's.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Then, by your own argument, Guardians of the Galaxy must have better visuals.

Actually, as I've shown, Hitch-Hiker's has better visuals. It's a gorgeous and visually inventive movie. GotG looks amateurish in comparison, but is a more successful crowd-pleaser.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So what's incorrect with the criticism that the MCU can't approach sex in a healthy manner, for example?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Fixed that up. Wasn't terribly difficult.

Is this actually the case? Because, if so, then yeah, I'll stop engaging. I don't want this to edge into bullying territory.

You're so afraid of 'non-opinion' statements that you're trying to rationalize it as an anti-bullying act.

Hahaha

e: and this is what I mean by reactive thinking. You find it necessary to disprove that Hitch-Hiker's looks good in order for GotG 1&2 to be good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Unoriginal Name posted:

MCU films are made to be broadly marketed, and thus, avoid on screen sex

You didn't actually correct the criticism, you just explained it. According to you, MCUs' bizarro approach to sex is because of marketing concerns.

Gyges posted:

The continuing argument isn't that visuals don't matter. The repeated rebuttals to your MOS and Hitchhiker screen shots is varying degrees of 1)those are bad screenshots that don't display the actual appearance of the film, 2)those are bad screenshots that don't display valid comparisons, 3)a movie doing something better than another movie doesn't automatically make that other movie crap, 4)while visuals are important, they are not the be all and end all of what makes a good or enjoyable movie. Your response is to call anyone who disagrees objectively wrong on a subjective matter and then post more copies of the same screen shots.

GotG 1&2 have technically accomplished and colourful visuals that are in the end pretty average, and their sci-fi vision is dull. All the appeals to how good the characters and dialogue are ring really hollow, since those are just tools to tell stories, and the story of these movies isn't that good. GotG2's confused father-son confrontation for example doesn't stand up to comparison to earlier sci-fi flicks.

Franchescanado posted:

the guy who spent the movie's run-time screaming "Not funny!'", "Not Snyder!", "This isn't Hitchhiker's!", "No Sex!", to the theater screen.

How did you know that :tinfoil:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 10, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

to be fair to bravestoflamps doesn't he have that really good the name of the wind thread in ye olde book barne?

Well I am reminded of how I challenged people to find any good writing in that book, but nobody ever would because 1) they didn't really have the critical ability or confidence to find good writing and 2) there wasn't good writing to be found in that book.

The GotG movies occasionally have what is basically good-looking sci-fi environments and action, but like Cnut the Great pointed out the visual storytelling is lacking at best. The one example that struck me most was when GotG's villain is called Ego and is all about egoism and solipsism, but the direction or visual design doesn't bring any of that across. it was really bad, because you can convey domineering egoism pretty easily with camera angles or close-ups.

Oddly enough, Ronan was a much more convincing egoist because he was a narcissist who was really into performing a role.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 17, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

That being said, I'd like to argue that Gunn doesn't rely much on symbolic visuals, not for a lack of talent, but because GotGv2 (and 1, for that matter) is first and foremost a comedy and he's pushing hard to make the visuals funny instead of meaningful.

If you'd like to criticize the film's cinematography for being insufficiently humorous go ahead -- but in my opinion claiming it to be insufficiently profound misses the point entirely.

The issue isn't profundity, It's that the movie has very ineffective cinematography. Way to dismiss comedy and Gunn's efforts to tell a story about love and pain.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

But I never said GotG v2 is uncinematic. I was only trying to suggest that the overall themes of the film weren't being expressed primarily through it's cinematography.

Well yes, that's why it's such a mediocre movie.

GoldfishStew posted:

Probably the best line of the movie. So funny.

The funniest line is when Star-Lord equates losing his Sony Walkman with losing his mother, in a fit of righteous anger.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 18, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LeJackal posted:

How is that supposed to be funny?

It was a good reminder of his basic character: a manchild who's extremely attached to gadgets and pop culture. Half the time the script forgets that he's a satire of a space adventurer.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

Yeah, because he isn't a satire of a space adventurer. Parody and satire are not synonyms.

He's used to satirize pop culture nostalgia and attachment to gizmos, if inconsistently.

CelticPredator posted:

And why is he so attached to his gadget and pop culture?

Because his troubled upbringing has resulted in arrested development, which is why he's trying to live out a fantasy of being a space adventurer. It's a comedic translation of his comic counterpart's desperate desire to be a hero onto the big screen. But the movies try to have their cake and eat it too with him, so he has to be both a straight-forward hero and a parody of one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Half right. His music is his last bit or attachment to his mother. Awesome Mix Vol 1 came from her, as did Vol 2.
So when the Walkman is crushed it's almost like his mom died again.

That was also really funny. First it's revealed that Ego killed his mother, and he crushes the Walkman afterwards to escalate his villainy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You seem to be taking it as a given that the Walkman is a really poignant thing, but it's also (inadvertently or not) a perfect symbol of the story's immaturity. This whole line of argumentation brings to mind Harry Knowles's review of Toy Story 3;

quote:

But here... in this movie... I fall out of love with ANDY because he hands over WOODY. Now I get it. Ultimately, that's what Woody wanted, to be with his friends with an ideal imaginative great kid with a peculiar imagination. And Andy has one of those stupid mothers that would harp about his toys. Handing him a box and a trash bag and telling him to choose. What the hell? It is bad enough that this family has never figured out the actual value of Woody in the collectibles sphere... but the idea that in the end, Andy would give up WOODY. It kinda pisses me off. Now, we've never found out why ANDY had Woody - and in all the time in that house, we've never seen Andy's father. I bring this up, because I'm writing this on FATHER'S DAY. What is Andy's father situation? The father isn't there the day the boy goes off to college? We met Andy right after the birth of Andy's sister - and there was no Father then. I like to think that Andy's father died in some manner that left Andy's mom with the money to buy the house and take care of the two kids. Whatever happened to Andy's father, he was out of the picture significantly in advance of the first film... but... I always harbored the suspicion that WOODY was Andy's father's toy. That Woody's obsessive compulsion to be there for ANDY came from that relationship he had with Andy's father. And that it was possible, that Woody never necessarily knew this. I imagine that Woody was played with by his previous owner, that he went into the attic - then perhaps when Andy's father passed away, his Grandmother went through her son's things and found Woody - remembered how much that Woody meant to Andy's father - and felt it should go to Andy. Obviously WOODY meant everything to Andy for awhile. The wallpaper, the bedsheets - all for a toy that was beyond Andy's time. But this toy meant the most. Even at the end of the movie, he finds it incredibly hard to let go of Woody, but there's something about the notion of Woody still being played with that makes him happy. The notion though of leaving childish things behind, giving your toys to the next generation... I loathe that conceit.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

You're posting on a message board you paid money for (or someone paid money for) talking about a comic book film. You're not really a bastion of maturity.

Lt. Danger posted:

No one has actually disagreed with this charge, only excused it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

This one in particular blows my mind; how on earth would speeding up the scene and dropping its soundtrack have improved it?

The Scene Set to Pop Song #31 was a passable space comedy scene, not some masterwork of cinema.

Yakmouth posted:

BravestOfTheLamps hasn't been making critiques at all, only assertions. According to them, the movie's visuals are undynamic, colourful, dull, unimpressive, impressive, and bland. The only actual scenes they use to support these assertions are 'Come a Little Bit Closer' with Yondu, and Ego's 'villain moment'. Although they're somewhat vague about it my take is that in both of those scenes they felt James Gunn's cinematography undercut the emotions that he was supposedly trying to convey. Which is patiently wrong. Both of those scenes have been praised extensively in this thread as being shocking and unexpected. The first was (imo) majestic and the second genuinely horrifying.

Instead of saying why they were good, you state how they were 'extensively' praised for being 'shocking and unexpected'. Maybe people just liked some mediocre scenes?

Yakmouth posted:

With Guardians of the Galaxy v2 James Gunn built a Ferrari, and BravestOfTheLamps can't get over the fact that's not a sailboat.

...A glitzy, overhyped piece of capitalist excess vs something romantically adventurous?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 19, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

So you're upgrading your score from 'not that good' to 'passable'. Okay, are you willing to explain how you think cutting its soundtrack would have improved the comedy of the scene?

My proof is empirical, here's a partial selection of quotes:

Those are genuine emotional responses. The scenes worked because they did what they set out to do: make people gasp, tear-up, etc.
What made them mediocre?

Only if you imagine that sailboats are cheap and cross-country road trips unromantic. Otherwise, no.

Well now you're just being silly - emotional reactions can actually undermine critical judgement. Instead of talking about direction, cinematography, composition, etc, you're reducing it to a question if other people cried or gasped.

The Pop Song Scene #31 is 'passable' - it meets the minimum requirements of being technically functional. It's not very good, and just another wearisome segment like the Cherry Bomb scene in the first movie. The arrow is a striking visual motif, but the scene is narratively pointless, as it doesn't accomplish much aside from being 'cool' and providing the catharsis of seeing the less marketable freakish outcasts get slaughtered (I'd love to eventually see a Youtube Dubber with, say, the Requiem for a Dream theme over it).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 19, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

You brought emotion into the conversation, not me.

You say the emotion was undercut. This is explicitly refuted by the testimony of people reacting to the scene. It was direction, cinematography composition, etc, that caused their reaction. And honestly, emotional reactions are all you ever have. You were 'uninspired' and 'wearied' by the movie. By all means stop using vague weasel-words and start thinking critically. You are the lamp calling the kettle black.

It was a very striking scene. I'm glad you've come around to agreeing.

I was talking about the emotions and sentiments the scene represented, and you started talking about emotional reactions as an appeal to popularity.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 29, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

poisonpill posted:

hahahahahaha HaahahhahaHahaha hahahaha hahahahaha haa ok

That's trying too hard. Did you even notice two of those aren't movies?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Doesn't Lamps have like actual not joke, not internet autism? He's kinda gonna have nonstandard emotional responses to things.

I think it's a bit weird to accuse people of autism for not liking a comic book blockbuster.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe it's because I look at films through a more filmmakery lens, but to me, getting someone to feel something from the piece of art you created is extremely great and super hard to achieve. You can want people to be critical of films and poo poo and that's fine I guess. But I just don't see any real application for it outside of a classroom. Human beings are emotional creatures. We use emotions to communicate, and to articulate ideas and opinions. To remove that element from art, and especially this artform, is pretty disingenuous.

I don't give a poo poo about looking critically and objectively at films because I really really don't have too. I'm not being graded on it, I'm not being probated for not doing it. If that is how you personally view art, more power to you. You do you. But don't expect everyone to understand your very off putting and alienating view point, you know? We get it, ya don't dig the film because it's not as visually great as other films, and you don't like the concept of immaturity. Fair enough. But as you can see, it's not an issue for everyone else.

So uh, maybe try watching films to feel something...and feel those things, and feel emotions and your life would be better over all instead of trying to critically analyze films all the time.

I thought it was cool and good for people to have different visions?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

GoldfishStew posted:

See, you're a loving dipshit because you think you can "debunk" people's actual complaints about the movie. The movie had some lazy writing.

Maybe you didn't open yourself enough emotionally to the movie?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Brother Entropy posted:

if i had a major criticism of gotg2 (which i enjoyed more than the first overall) it's that it really tries to push the yondo as peter's dad thing hard in a movie where they only really meet up at the end(and the previous film didn't really give off that vibe between those two at all, so all you've got is what happens in this one)

It was probably an allusion to Man of Steel: the misfit hero has both an absent bearded exposition dad and a self-sacrificial redneck dad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yaws posted:

Who would you have direct it? Or write the screenplay?

Luc Besson, Luc Besson.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yondu and the Ravagers embodied the ethos of the scum of galaxy saving the day better than the Guardians, so obviously they needed to die. Yondu gets the dignity of becoming more marketable before he has to go.

BrianWilly posted:

They definitely did in the first one.

"You are the light of my life. My precious son. My little Star-Lord."

That ended up pretty comedic though. Turns out that Star-Lord's even a bigger manchild than he seemed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

Did you miss the cavern of corpses, planet blobs killing people and every protagonist, save one, almost dying?

None of that was very impressive. The planet blobs for example were a very lame visual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

There's definitely a petulant child aspect to Ronan, but I thought they managed to give him some depth by conveying his sense of loss and betrayal from his own people turning their backs on him. He's angry and crazy but he has a reason to be, he's not just having a tantrum like Loki or your generic power-tripping boy-king archetype. And his loss ties into Drax's and Peter's too, which helps make the whole movie feel like it's about something.

The moment he's introduced being made up and dressed, there's an awareness that he's just performing all of his anger. There's no visual component or context for his anger or loss, so his character is all talk despite his trappings.

Immortan Joe is of course a better version of the same character.

• Locked thread