Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

One thing I'm not sure I got - did Peter and Gamora hook up at the end or not?

It's some unspoken thing.

No.

My favorite part of seeing the movie, especially the second time, is seeing how many kids are in the audience. There's a lot of conversations and jokes directly about penises and conception, and I think it's funny that parents have to have The Talk with their kids over a James Gunn Disney-Marvel space opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

Is "the talk" still a thing? Kids have internet and tablets now, they already know about dick jokes.

Just because it happens earlier doesn't mean it isn't a thing. It most certainly does, much to every parent and school's chagrin.

edit: I knew a girl in 10th grade who thought babies came from belly buttons and you were impregnated with a kiss. She had a hosed up day at school when everyone found that out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This got me thinking about how in the star wars prequels there was a million scenes of people doing little waves and stuff at each other because the cgi made it so no one could touch each other in most scenes. That isn't what happened in this movie but it did make me think of something else.

That made me think of something this movie did really well. Mantis and her instagram filter eyes probably were way harder to film at any sort of angle and instead of that ruining scenes they managed to make one of the absolute best scenes in the entire movie a scene of her and drax staring straight ahead and not looking at eachother and making that feel natural for the scene.

Mantis's eyes were contacts.

edit: Pom and her stunt double, both with the contacts in:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 9, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Ah yes, that scene she had all the little dots on her face.

:psyduck: What the hell? Those are mo-cap dots and she's in front of a blue screen. It's obviously before they added any effects. It would be silly to show you a scene from the movie to show you they were real contacts; I showed you behind-the-scenes pics and then a comparison pic. If you're joking, it's a bad joke.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 9, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, the MCU's relative sexlessness aside, I don't get the claim that GotG2 is anti-sex. Ego's plan is to asexually spread across the universe. In contrast, Ego's child by sexual reproduction is the hero of the movie.

Specifically, the only child fathered out of some form of affection/love instead of just reproduction.

It's hard to say the MCU is sexless when it's first hero was lecherous playboy Iron Man, who's first interest in returning to the US is getting a burger, holding a press conference and then trying to find someone to gently caress. The majority sure is, but a popular and heavily prevalent aspect to Iron Man is that he's hosed almost every girl he's met.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is where you need to grab the subtext by the balls and notice what is the source of fear is - it's the father's promiscuity. He has other children and families. The irony is this is that despite the big statement about how it's okay to be special, the movie embraces the fear of not being special. It certainly misses out on the potential for Chronos-like horror with it's really token mountain-of-bones imagery.

Ego's fear is not his promiscuity. His fear is that he's always been alone and can't relate to anyone without manipulating them. He can't make genuine connections. He's not afraid because he's hosed a bunch of species and had children, he killed them because they didn't fit an ideal "perfect child", someone/something that he could fully relate to. He killed the other children simply because he couldn't relate, they weren't "like him". He didn't say 'Oh no, I've hosed a lot, that's scary." He killed them because they didn't reflect himself enough. He can only relate to himself, so for them to be too foreign from him is what drives his 'fear', and partially the fear of failure, because he thinks he's a god, a perfect species in and of himself.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 9, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think this screencap serves as a metaphor for at least GotG's stance on sex:

That's easier to have one-night stands and/or emotionless connections than to allow intimacy with people you think are family/friends, because it creates vulnerability and makes you accept yours and their flaws?

Agreed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

I have to say I didn't like the detail that Quinn was special because of (reasons, the above being one possibility. It's one of my least favorite things in the movie. Humans-are-special in any context bugs me a lot, but especially in sci-fi for some reason. They could have said that the key difference is that Peter grabbing an Infinity Stone unlocked a cosmic awareness inside or something? Make it something he did, not something inherent in his person.

I guess it works thematically if he's special because Ego loved his mother, but I thought basically everything Ego said was a lie. I don't think Ego was capable of truly loving another person, and everything he said on that angle was to seduce Peter. I'm actually a little surprised people think he looked like Kurt Russell with all the other alien women -- it's a funny joke, but I took it to be an indication that he was fabricating 90% of his story (or from his perspective, glossing over the unimportant details for the dumb human.) I figured he told the same thing a hundred times to a hundred children, then tried to play catch with them and threw them off the veranda if they couldn't make an energy ball.

I agree, but it makes the sacrificing of the possibility of being immortal/special a little heavier for him. It's a rejection of that idea, in a way. Peter doesn't want to be special if it means he'll lose the people who actually care and love him, he's literally allowing himself to be vulnerable by relenting the power bestowed upon him.

It's one thing if he earns the immortality, but that's not really how Christ-figures work. Jesus didn't ask for super powers or to be sent to earth, Adam Warlock didn't ask to be Marvel Jesus, Hulk didn't earn his Hulk-ness. Thor is one of the few that loses his powers in order to gain it back by earning it. It's annoying that the White Male Human figure is Inherently Special, but I do think it works in the context of GotG. Peter has to be told he's special, he's not really working with that knowledge until a day or two before he sacrifices it to be actually normal.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Earth is way better than a 3, even with what humans have been doing to it. It's at least a galactic 6, and around Sol that's basically an 8.

Tony canonically fucks, but the movies themselves are sexless. Peter Parker in Spider-Man gets into hotter situations than anyone in the MCU.

Oh you guys mean visual tongue slapping and dry humping.

You right. MCU's all about hand holding, like Black Widow and Hulk.

Revenant Threshold posted:

Speaking of, one thing that didn't make sense to me was he's a big music fan, but he's happy to kill off any artist but himself?

I mean, that sounds like most artists, so...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It was clearly a dairy queen. The big ego blobs feel like they didn't really make much sense, they didn't feel visually connected to ego or to the little red blood cell filled pineapples they came out of. They didn't give any particular appearance they were terraforming anything, it just seemed like foam inflating.

They just seemed formless, yeah. Primordial, Amoebic, cancerous, but certainly consuming. It reminded me of The Blob remake, which Gunn is a huge fan of.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Most actually don't, as healthy children tend to have a nice protective sheen of nearly sociopathic self-interest by and large. It's only later in life that they develop the scope to actually consider the self in relation to others in such a way as to go "What if everything I believe is just a lie and reality is actually far different?". Children that actually wonder if everything is secretly horrible are rare [Not massively so, but still] and often given a reason to question. Be it some tragedy or poor parenting.

Which were you?

BravestOfTheLamps fears that posters do not care for them. And like the raccoon in the movie they hate, they lash out against pop culture their peers enjoy and mocks the arguments of other posters to hide their soft vulnerable fear.

"They came," says BravestOfTheLamps. "Even though he posted weak arguments based around blurry pictures of Man of Steel."

"Well yeah," says Star-Lord. "He paid his $10."

A tear forms in BravestOfTheLamps eye and gently falls down their face.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess a cancer tumor destroying peter's home town does make some sense thematically.

Visually it just felt very disconnected from a space pineapple with red blood cells in it that it was coming from and from ego the planet that it eventually was supposedly going to become. Like if they didn't say what it was doing I wouldn't know what it was doing.

Even that pineapple thing is a cancerous tumor for the planet he "impregnates". It was unable to make him feel connected to the universe at large, and so he must destroy it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

No I'm pretty sure nothing you've said has ever actually been about movies.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I enjoy BravestOfTheLamps posts because it is really cool to watch someone with self-diagnosed Aspergers explain how he used "objective metrics" to calculate humor.

It's nice to see things from different angles.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
First Bravest, now a movie about inadequacy with yourself and your relationship with others and father/son dynamics isn't about father/son dynamics.

All that's left for this thread is for SMG to come in and talk about how it's metatexually about how ecstasy gave comfort to counterculture during the aids epidemic because of impotency in Somalia because Yondu likes cleaning his teeth with sticks or some poo poo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

The continuing argument isn't that visuals don't matter. The repeated rebuttals to your MOS and Hitchhiker screen shots is varying degrees of 1)those are bad screenshots that don't display the actual appearance of the film, 2)those are bad screenshots that don't display valid comparisons, 3)a movie doing something better than another movie doesn't automatically make that other movie crap, 4)while visuals are important, they are not the be all and end all of what makes a good or enjoyable movie. Your response is to call anyone who disagrees objectively wrong on a subjective matter and then post more copies of the same screen shots.

Let's just copy this and paste it whenever BotL posts, please. Let discussion occur when someone has actually watched and thought about the movie or voices valid criticism instead of the guy who spent the movie's run-time screaming "Not funny!'", "Not Snyder!", "This isn't Hitchhiker's!", "No Sex!", to the theater screen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ego didn't create Mantis, he merely found her as an infant during his travels.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Whitey posted:

That's the one I haven't seen.

This and "except he didn't say frickin" were cringey for me. Otherwise this movie and the humor were aces.

Watch SLiTHER! Also, that joke was a call-back to the original film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was pretry disappointed there was no Lloud Kaufman cameo in Vol. 2

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Whitey posted:

I saw fuckin Jimmy Urine (of Mindless Self Indulgence) in the credits, who was he in the movie?

E: nvm, he was the long mohawk guy

This guy, who was pretty prevalent throughout

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

my favorite music cue was when the sovereign show up in the core and wham bam shang a lang starts up again.

"Soup! Soup!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I really liked Pom Klementieff's take on Mantis. She steals almost any scene she's in with her childish enthusiasm for the interactions with actual people. Before the Guardians show up, it's almost like Ego's never communicated anything to her other than "I want to sleep now". I think she's an interesting character because each of the Guardians is a broken person with sordid backgrounds and multiple levels of emotional baggage and/or trauma. They're all assholes in their own way, but they understand that they're connected and have each other--but that doesn't take their guards down or allow them to show vulnerability, they all have to have the biggest dick because they're the toughest of the group. Mantis, on the other hand, is their biggest weakness, because with a simple soft touch of the hand, she can not only read their biggest pain, but can feel it with them and relate to them. She's like the Guardians personal therapist. I'm interested to see where this dynamic goes in future movies.

Drax is a rude rear end in a top hat, that's his character. I don't think how he treats Mantis is a good thing, it's not a good thing, but she's also the only character in two films that he allows himself to be most emotionally vulnerable with, letting her feel the pain/sorrow of losing his wife and daughter (something he can barely physically emote). The closest Drax gets to that level of emotional connection is when he talks about meeting his wife to Peter, another important scene for Drax's character because he's wrong--Gamora is a dancer, she just hides it well. Even that scene is more for Peter than Drax.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Gamora immediately asks why and has a bad feeling about it.

Not only that, but as soon as Ego offers to take them to his planet, Quill says "No, this is stupid, he's not my dad, this is a sketchy situation, what if he's evil?" and Gamora takes him into the woods and convinces him to give it a try (which is really sweet of Gamora) and offers to kill Ego if he turns out to be bad.

Edit: As soon as the first hint of This Isn't Right, Gamora is more than happy to leave, but then Peter's too busy being seduced because he finally has someone who will play catch with him, knows Earth culture and songs and is willing to call him son and Star-Lord, which no one else (not even Yondu) will do.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 15, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

(EDIT: I have no idea what the spoiler rules are right now?)

Again, my issue is not related to them wondering if there's secret Evil Afoot, it's the fact their entire trip to the planet seemed to be to just...hang out and wait for Kurt Russel to talk to them about things.

It's oddly passive. You'd think Peter Quill would be curious, asking Ego what he does with his time, instead of sitting in his room listening to his jams until the guy decides it's time to explain it.

Or that a suspicious, protective Gamora might, again, ask what they're actually doing there in the days and nights between Kurt Russell interactions.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they're only on Ego's planet one night before poo poo hits the fan. Gamora says to Groot "We'll be back in three days", and the movie seems to stick with that structure, but I could be wrong.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Early in the movie after the crew crash lands and Gamora is chewing out Rocket and Quill she says if you had just used the head between their ears setting up this joke. Quill tells Yondu well I thought as hard as I could and to create the ball of light, Yondu jokes that that I wasn't controlling the needle with my brain, and gets cut off. It's a penis.

So what stopped you from watching the last forty minutes of the movie? Because he repeats the statement a second time and ends the sentence very clearly saying it's his heart.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Not being a dick, I've seen the movie twice and heard him clearly both times. He yells it. Then it immediately cuts to Quill thinking about how much he loves his "family", so context alone paints it pretty clearly. He's not getting a hard on thinking about flying jetpacks with Rocket.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is he a Star, or is he a Lord? The raccoon used to be a rocket? Mantis is a bug? How do they keep finding batteries for the walkman?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

Yes, continue trivializing misogyny. What a great take.

Woah, no one's even discussing that anymore. I haven't even trivialized it, I think there's some truth to the argument, but the movie makes a pretty strong stance on Drax being wrong and an rear end in a top hat and incapable of that level of self-awareness. This is the dude that spent the entire first movie calling the only female character a whore. A character can be a misogynist without the movie being misogynistic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Terror Firmer is so loving awesome.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

He'll probably do the last Guardians film and then move on. Which is fine for me. Dude can do whatever the hell he wants from here on out.

He said he's going to help develop Cosmic Marvel more, so I guess he'll be producing. Which is fine, I trust the dude, but I want him to make a really loving weird movie, especially if it's horror (but knowing The Belko Experiment didn't do great, I dunno how viable that is).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

I think that's an undertale not a guradians of the galaxy?

Yondu/Mary Poppins

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Casual posted:

Still amazed by that cast. Orson Welles, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Robert Stack, plus the regular legends Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Scatman Crothers and Chris Latta.

Featuring songs by Weird Al Yankovic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

Lol these cats dont even want to admit or discus this movies flaws or shortcomings. They just want to jerk off over some CGI.

I thought the intro tour to Ego's planet was a little reminiscent of the landscape area of Willy Wonka's factory. I agree it wasn't embraced as much as it could have been (but I don't know how you could explore that without hurting the pacing), but that first scene was very colorful (though a little flat depth-wise), and each scene used a different color palette to keep it moving (rainbow palette for the intro, then white with red emphasis for the jackets, then greens, then blues (for the night scene), then oranges/red for Gamora's seclusion, oranges/greens for Drax and Mantis's conversation). All of it was framed very well. Plenty of wide-angle lenses, most of the characters stayed out of the center to keep the energy up. The internal parts of Ego's planets were a wonderful blend of greens and blues, which worked well for a backdrop of a golden army, while Ego's forms and veins were white and light blues.

What didn't you like about the visuals of Ego's planet? Specifically.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 17, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty accurate for a small Southern town's only chain to be an old Dairy Queen.

Subways and Bojangles are also really common.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can't imagine a big need for ice cream during a Manitoba winter.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

Finally, one other person who isn't sucking this movies (yondus?) dick.

Dude, you can't even answer my questions when I engage you in your discussions, stop complaining.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

And why is he so attached to his gadget and pop culture?

BECAUSE EMPEROR ZOD DESTROYED ARTHUR DENTS HOUSE, AREN'T YOU WATCHING THE MOVIE?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

The way this convo is going someone's going to post this eventually so I might as well rip off the band-aid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

Yeah, thank you. This is great. Edgar Wright is a genius, can't wait for Baby Driver.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

The point that is particularly interesting to me is the point about syncing action with music cues, that would work perfectly in Guardians. Admittedly I am not great at picking up on this stuff but my wife wants to see this again with her sister next week or the following so I am planning on paying more attention to how the visual comedy works. I remember the "Come a little bit closer" scene arguable using that method in a good way.

It did, and spaceships popped up in rhythm with Wham Bam Sham A Lam, Groot rode the rat creature (which were also in the credit songs in Vol 1) during Mr Blue Sky's breakdown/solo.

Beyond that, every song thematically works with tone and lyrics.

Nothing as good as beating zombies in rhythm with Queen, though it's on par with Goody Two Shoes in Hot Fuzz

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you understand humor.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

This movie was worse than the first in pretty much every way. Weird dude who asked what I didnt like about the scenery I will make a detailed post for you and you alone later.

Not a weirdo, just want you to back up your empty complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno I feel like this whole sentiment is kinda weird because on the one hand I agree he is a student of film and has certainly pulled from other sources while inventing his own techniques that he reuses. But then that makes it sound super easy so why doesn't Gunn do that? I'm not even saying he necessarily isn't, like I said I am bad at picking that stuff up especially on first view. But it seems like your argument is that Gunn is repeatedly doing shots that can't (or for some reason he won't) borrow from other films -- or create a language of visual humor that he can recycle in subsequent Guardian films like Wright did.

EDIT: Oh and he does already visually reference a few films, notably North by Northwest, Mary Poppins, and Zack Snyder's Watchmen

I've also mentioned that the Ego introducing his planet scene seems to reference the "If You Want To View Paradise" scene from Willy Wonka.

It reminded me of it, anyway. Seems fitting for Ego to try and be Willy Wonka to Star-Lord's Charlie and woo him into wanting "the factory".

• Locked thread