Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

That being said, I'd like to argue that Gunn doesn't rely much on symbolic visuals, not for a lack of talent, but because GotGv2 (and 1, for that matter) is first and foremost a comedy and he's pushing hard to make the visuals funny instead of meaningful.

If you'd like to criticize the film's cinematography for being insufficiently humorous go ahead -- but in my opinion claiming it to be insufficiently profound misses the point entirely.

The issue isn't profundity, It's that the movie has very ineffective cinematography. Way to dismiss comedy and Gunn's efforts to tell a story about love and pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The issue isn't profundity, It's that the movie has very ineffective cinematography. Way to dismiss comedy and Gunn's efforts to tell a story about love and pain.

Ineffective how? My claim is that James Gunn was primarily interested in conveying humour through his visuals. I further claim that he succeeded.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"Conveying humour" is a good way of putting it.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I'm gonna hazard Hot Fuzz as a good comedy movie with visuals that are both funny and 'cinematic'.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes.
Some directors are better at things than others. It's totally okay and cool to see different visions for films.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm gonna hazard Hot Fuzz as a good comedy movie with visuals that are both funny and 'cinematic'.

I'm embarrassed to admit I never got around to seeing Hot Fuzz, but based purely on its reputation I've no doubt you're right.

But I never said GotG v2 is uncinematic. I was only trying to suggest that the overall themes of the film weren't being expressed primarily through it's cinematography.
Visually the film is a live-action cartoon. Story-wise it's much more personal -- exploring parenthood and community in some very deep ways, in my opinion.
I think the dichotomy between the two is intentional.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Probably the best line of the movie. So funny.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

But I never said GotG v2 is uncinematic. I was only trying to suggest that the overall themes of the film weren't being expressed primarily through it's cinematography.

Well yes, that's why it's such a mediocre movie.

GoldfishStew posted:

Probably the best line of the movie. So funny.

The funniest line is when Star-Lord equates losing his Sony Walkman with losing his mother, in a fit of righteous anger.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 18, 2017

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Well yes, that's why it's such a mediocre movie.

The funniest line is when Star-Lord equates losing his Sony Walkman with losing his mother, in a fit of righteous anger.

How is that supposed to be funny?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Can't imagine being righteously angry at the man that not only killed my mother but also, right in front of me, destroyed the two closest physical links that I had to her. Nope.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ego was shown as a brain encased in the heart of a planet. Seems pretty solipsistic idk.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I do have one really stupid question. At what point did in the Ego fight did Quill's 'Star-Lord' face mask (IDK what else to call it) get broken?

At the very critical and emotional scene, I called bullshit because 'he's got his mask that can breathe in space!'
'It broke, remember?'
'...no?'

I think I'm just bad at watching movies y'all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They explicitly show it breaking and falling off his face.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, but I just honestly do not recall it happening. I may just have a limit on things exploding, or I may just be a dummy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It happened after mantis was knocked out and ego woke up iirc.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's right around when Yondu shows his dick.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Dave posted:

It's right around when Yondu shows his dick.

lol

It doesn't bother me but it is weird that "I only have one space suit, even tho they are like the size of a tin of mints and we are space travelers, we really should buy them in bulk in the future"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think they all had a space suit. But only a rocket was still left while the planet was falling apart, so one suit to give.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LeJackal posted:

How is that supposed to be funny?

It was a good reminder of his basic character: a manchild who's extremely attached to gadgets and pop culture. Half the time the script forgets that he's a satire of a space adventurer.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Finally, one other person who isn't sucking this movies (yondus?) dick.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

Dude, you can't even answer my questions when I engage you in your discussions, stop complaining.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I'd say it's a loving parody of space adventure more than malicious satire. He is explicitly in text a gadget-loving child who emulates the heroes of his childhood scifi movies, like Han Solo and Night Rider. It's a playful send-up of the "square-jawed, cool-named hero that travels around in a cool spaceship meeting hot aliens and blasting bad ones".

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't know about that, but Ego in GOTG2 has a lot in common with the Beyonder, and it would kind of surprise me if a Marvel geek like James Gunn didn't have him in mind at all when writing the character.

Wait...does that mean that someone had to teach Ego how to poop?

SERIOUS QUESTIONS

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

It was a good reminder of his basic character: a manchild who's extremely attached to gadgets and pop culture. Half the time the script forgets that he's a satire of a space adventurer.

Yeah, because he isn't a satire of a space adventurer. Parody and satire are not synonyms.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And why is he so attached to his gadget and pop culture?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

BECAUSE EMPEROR ZOD DESTROYED ARTHUR DENTS HOUSE, AREN'T YOU WATCHING THE MOVIE?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lt. Danger posted:

To be fair a lot [Not all mind you, but a lot] is intentionally copying the visuals of the action movies it is referencing. So it's easier to have a striking cinematic look when you are shot for shot remaking a perfectly done scene from another movie. Not a pass, you still have to execute, but you certainly have the blueprint in front of you. The comedy is often [Again, not always, sometimes it's a bit more subtle or nuanced] then taking the high stakes action movie shot and setting it in a quiet English town. Doesn't make it less enjoyable, but it does take it down a few notches in originality of vision.

GoldfishStew posted:

A sizable portion of his life to date has been talking about the movie since it came out. There is no greater sign of it's importance as a work of art than someone dedicating their life to examining it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Mulva posted:

To be fair a lot [Not all mind you, but a lot] is intentionally copying the visuals of the action movies it is referencing. So it's easier to have a striking cinematic look when you are shot for shot remaking a perfectly done scene from another movie. Not a pass, you still have to execute, but you certainly have the blueprint in front of you. The comedy is often [Again, not always, sometimes it's a bit more subtle or nuanced] then taking the high stakes action movie shot and setting it in a quiet English town. Doesn't make it less enjoyable, but it does take it down a few notches in originality of vision.

Hot Fuzz does not do shot for shot recreations of action movies very much, if at all - I can't think of one besides the obvious Point Break joke. Most of the movie is composed of visual humor that would work in any setting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I find it interesting that is the one your mind goes to. Mine is the Bad Boys II tracking shot remake.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The way this convo is going someone's going to post this eventually so I might as well rip off the band-aid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

The way this convo is going someone's going to post this eventually so I might as well rip off the band-aid:

Yeah, thank you. This is great. Edgar Wright is a genius, can't wait for Baby Driver.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The point that is particularly interesting to me is the point about syncing action with music cues, that would work perfectly in Guardians. Admittedly I am not great at picking up on this stuff but my wife wants to see this again with her sister next week or the following so I am planning on paying more attention to how the visual comedy works. I remember the "Come a little bit closer" scene arguable using that method in a good way.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Guy A. Person posted:

You're off the fuckin chain!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

The point that is particularly interesting to me is the point about syncing action with music cues, that would work perfectly in Guardians. Admittedly I am not great at picking up on this stuff but my wife wants to see this again with her sister next week or the following so I am planning on paying more attention to how the visual comedy works. I remember the "Come a little bit closer" scene arguable using that method in a good way.

It did, and spaceships popped up in rhythm with Wham Bam Sham A Lam, Groot rode the rat creature (which were also in the credit songs in Vol 1) during Mr Blue Sky's breakdown/solo.

Beyond that, every song thematically works with tone and lyrics.

Nothing as good as beating zombies in rhythm with Queen, though it's on par with Goody Two Shoes in Hot Fuzz

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yakmouth posted:

Yeah, because he isn't a satire of a space adventurer. Parody and satire are not synonyms.

He's used to satirize pop culture nostalgia and attachment to gizmos, if inconsistently.

CelticPredator posted:

Because his troubled upbringing has resulted in arrested development, which is why he's trying to live out a fantasy of being a space adventurer. It's a comedic translation of his comic counterpart's desperate desire to be a hero onto the big screen. But the movies try to have their cake and eat it too with him, so he has to be both a straight-forward hero and a parody of one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

It's a comedic translation of his comic counterpart's desperate desire to be a hero onto the big screen.

The comic counterpart is a stone motherfucker who mind controlled the Guardians of the Galaxy into forming in the first place. He is.....not very comparable to the movie Quill except in the broad strokes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because his troubled upbringing has resulted in arrested development, which is why he's trying to live out a fantasy of being a space adventurer. It's a comedic translation of his comic counterpart's desperate desire to be a hero onto the big screen. But the movies try to have their cake and eat it too with him, so he has to be both a straight-forward hero and a parody of one.

Half right. His music is his last bit or attachment to his mother. Awesome Mix Vol 1 came from her, as did Vol 2.
So when the Walkman is crushed it's almost like his mom died again.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Half right. His music is his last bit or attachment to his mother. Awesome Mix Vol 1 came from her, as did Vol 2.
So when the Walkman is crushed it's almost like his mom died again.

That was also really funny. First it's revealed that Ego killed his mother, and he crushes the Walkman afterwards to escalate his villainy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you understand humor.

• Locked thread