Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The last like, 15 minutes of this movie wrecked me. Tears down my face kind of stuff. I really loved it. Adored even. loving hell.

I loved the imagery in this too. Everything about Ego, especially the reforming the body scene was pretty great as is Yondu's attack with his arrow. That was pretty drat incredible. Full of energy and really stylish imagery.

Maybe James Gunn films just click with me more than others because almost every beat in this film worked for me. Like the ball tossing scene. It's that right balance of sincerity, sweetness, and just being down right goofy as all hell. The amount of tones that are juggled in each scene are insane. But it just flows so well to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Can I pet your puppy?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My audience gasped at that line you spoiled. Some lady went "what?" Right before that other character did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one gasped at anything in Prometheus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr. F! posted:

I really hated the young Kurt russel at the beginning. So lame

Lmao.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DC Murderverse posted:

I bet some people gasped at the alien abortion scene, though that's not the same reason.

You could hear a pin drop in my theater. Everyone was completely silent. It really got the whole audience.

People also cheered when Idris Elba got Charliez Theron to have sex with him. Weird audience reaction but hey.

Prometheus rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

drat, I'm sorry you guys let previews ruin your movie.

I watched the first two trailers and had no idea what the story was going to be. So I found it to be quite surprising through out.

Also, I made a soundtrack playlist that mostly followed the film, and when I got to the last 3 tracks, Mary Poppins and the Rat, Dad, and Father and Son I teared up like a mother fucker. I don't know why that ending hit me so hard, but it did. Maybe it's because my dad moved away and I don't get to see him too often, and I kinda miss doing things and stuff with him. He's not dead or anything and I can call him every day, but still.

It's a really great ending. And the line

"I ain't your father, but I am your Daddy." is just....daaaannng.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Gunn fucks with tone like no one else I know. I think it's incredible. I love how I'm crying in one scene, and seconds later, laughing. I love how he can horrify me, make me laugh, and disgust me all in one scene. He's never been a director for everyone. But he's one of the few that just clicks for me, right at my core. He's weird as gently caress, and this film is like his weirdness distilled, and with a hundred million dollar budget.

I think it's funny how people rag on him for the titles like he only just tried to up the first one, when he really was trying to up himself. All of his films have these weird, goofy titles despite the world the film exists in, and it's great.

First we begin with this. The upbeat music over the horrific images. loving hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6UVB36XyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G2YAtFeVOM
(didnt direct, but wrote. However, this is very much a James Gunn title sequence)

I can't find SLiTHER's but it plays this upbeat, downer song over really depressing shots of the gross townspeople and it's great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJzG9OP51Ac

Super he starts to go nuts, in a good way. I love this opening. It perfectly captures how weird this movie is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwg7AHpnL6M

And Guardians is just an extension of that. It's the first numerous moment in the film, after that downer of an opening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jRQBGKPaA

Volume 2 is just the next logical step.

Anyway, that's just a lil bit of the Evolution of James Gunn.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

Counterpoint: you may just not want to enjoy the movie and have defined the characters as cookie-cutter, and so are not willing to put in the effort to look at the characters and read their arcs.

Have you read his novel The Toy Collector? It's one of my all-time favorites, and I think you would love it if you haven't read it yet.

Not yet, but I will soon. I went looking for it years ago, but couldn't find it, and honestly forgot he wrote a book. Gonna get it asap.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My god you're so loving smug it's sicking.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's weird and so are all of his girlfriends. I highly doubt he forced her to do any of that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fragmented posted:

You mean the knife missile scene? That's a bit of a grey area.

It was a joy to watch. It's been a great year for fun violence actually. Kong, John Wick 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ya'll forgot what those Ravangers did to Yondu's crew?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That scene where the guy gets sucked out of the airlock was really rough. The effects of space plus the POV, waving goodbye shot was nasty.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He did a song for the credits though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a more emotional connection to GOTG than both of those movies combined. GOTG overall was a great film experience, and one I enjoy revisiting every once in a while.

You can call it ugly forever, but at the end of the day, a film is more than just the images. Some argue that's all films are, but I disagree so very, very much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Discussing and deconstructing themes of fatherhood is fine and dare I say good, blubbering like a baby at "Quill has a dad just like me! He played catch! Like a dad! Which made me cry!" is empty cheerleading for an idea put forth with no critical thought behind it.

Art? Making people...feel...emotions? What the hell?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy cats this discussion is boring and has been done to death. You've even used the same image. loving hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't believe SLiTHER got me to care about a world absorbing slug monster. but it did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I swore I saw him when the arrow was mowing down peeps. But I could've been wrong.

I saw Gunn's dad though. He was in the car during the Expansion montage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Now I don't feel so crazy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well I'm mean, if you don't love it now, you will never love it again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neon light?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoldfishStew posted:

This movie lacked imagination.

We've seen nebula and gamoras relationship before.
We've seen the son get the hope up for the long lost parent only to be disappointed.
We've seen the rogue who learns that his real family are his friends

Why are they playing the will they won't they star lord and gamora? Didn't they do this in the first movie? This is still happening in an interesting way for them to devote multiple scenes in the sequel to? Does anyone think they won't get together?

There are no surprises. Everything that's going to happen is explicitly laid out for you. Yondu bemoans not getting a celebration, he gets the celebration. This happens again and again and again.

I can't believe the battery thing was what set off the whole movie. Rocket is money hungry but not stupid. He's extremely smart and tactically that just wasn't worth the risk and I can't believe it was what propelled the movie.

Leaned way too hard on dancing groot and music "cues" (though they felt less like cues this time around and more just like background music.)

Also them sneaking out of the jail cell was corny as gently caress. If the gang knew there was a spare why wouldn't they hide it? Or at least have a guard for groot and yondu/rocket?

Find me a wholly original idea that has never been done ever once before.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoldfishStew posted:

Lol it is the same relationship from the first movie but elongated. What new info did you gleam?

It's also a very well trodden sibling rivalry cookie cutter story. It's doubly unoriginal uninspired and boring to watch.

Not really. Most sibling riveraly stories are entirely set on the siblings wanting to be better than one another. Not one of them just wanting acceptance.

Nebula didn't hate Gamora for being better. She hated her for never being a sister.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Simple stories are the best stories.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis was a sweet character and she isn't even that ugly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

James Gunn is also awesome. I'd like to see him do something super weird again.

He'll probably do the last Guardians film and then move on. Which is fine for me. Dude can do whatever the hell he wants from here on out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, actually

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dairy Queen has a legit good fast food burg. That flamethrower one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes.
Some directors are better at things than others. It's totally okay and cool to see different visions for films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think they all had a space suit. But only a rocket was still left while the planet was falling apart, so one suit to give.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It was a good reminder of his basic character: a manchild who's extremely attached to gadgets and pop culture. Half the time the script forgets that he's a satire of a space adventurer.

And why is he so attached to his gadget and pop culture?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because his troubled upbringing has resulted in arrested development, which is why he's trying to live out a fantasy of being a space adventurer. It's a comedic translation of his comic counterpart's desperate desire to be a hero onto the big screen. But the movies try to have their cake and eat it too with him, so he has to be both a straight-forward hero and a parody of one.

Half right. His music is his last bit or attachment to his mother. Awesome Mix Vol 1 came from her, as did Vol 2.
So when the Walkman is crushed it's almost like his mom died again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was also really funny. First it's revealed that Ego killed his mother, and he crushes the Walkman afterwards to escalate his villainy.

You are very weird. But not in an endearing way like Drax. In a bad way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You seem to be taking it as a given that the Walkman is a really poignant thing, but it's also (inadvertently or not) a perfect symbol of the story's immaturity. This whole line of argumentation brings to mind Harry Knowles's review of Toy Story 3;

You're posting on a message board you paid money for (or someone paid money for) talking about a comic book film. You're not really a bastion of maturity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoldfishStew posted:

Why must this movie remain perfect to you? Why can't you like something that has flaws?

Why can't you like something with flaws?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve2911 posted:

On second viewing this is probably the best Marvel movie on balance.

Not that that's a super high bar but still.

I mean, I saw it again at 11am on a whim to kill time, and I still cried my eyes out so. I dunno. It's pretty dang amazing?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe it's because I look at films through a more filmmakery lens, but to me, getting someone to feel something from the piece of art you created is extremely great and super hard to achieve. You can want people to be critical of films and poo poo and that's fine I guess. But I just don't see any real application for it outside of a classroom. Human beings are emotional creatures. We use emotions to communicate, and to articulate ideas and opinions. To remove that element from art, and especially this artform, is pretty disingenuous.

I don't give a poo poo about looking critically and objectively at films because I really really don't have too. I'm not being graded on it, I'm not being probated for not doing it. If that is how you personally view art, more power to you. You do you. But don't expect everyone to understand your very off putting and alienating view point, you know? We get it, ya don't dig the film because it's not as visually great as other films, and you don't like the concept of immaturity. Fair enough. But as you can see, it's not an issue for everyone else.

So uh, maybe try watching films to feel something...and feel those things, and feel emotions and your life would be better over all instead of trying to critically analyze films all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, no one has to judge films and be a filmmaker themselves, but uh...give it a try. It's super drat hard.

• Locked thread