Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
This movie lacked imagination.

We've seen nebula and gamoras relationship before.
We've seen the son get the hope up for the long lost parent only to be disappointed.
We've seen the rogue who learns that his real family are his friends

Why are they playing the will they won't they star lord and gamora? Didn't they do this in the first movie? This is still happening in an interesting way for them to devote multiple scenes in the sequel to? Does anyone think they won't get together?

There are no surprises. Everything that's going to happen is explicitly laid out for you. Yondu bemoans not getting a celebration, he gets the celebration. This happens again and again and again.

I can't believe the battery thing was what set off the whole movie. Rocket is money hungry but not stupid. He's extremely smart and tactically that just wasn't worth the risk and I can't believe it was what propelled the movie.

Leaned way too hard on dancing groot and music "cues" (though they felt less like cues this time around and more just like background music.)

Also them sneaking out of the jail cell was corny as gently caress. If the gang knew there was a spare why wouldn't they hide it? Or at least have a guard for groot and yondu/rocket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Find me a wholly original idea that has never been done ever once before.

Where did I demand it be wholly original? That's a steep request you're making. I'd be satisfied with stories, even old ones, being told in new or interesting ways.

For fucks sake, at least don't rehash 2 stories from the first film (gamora/sister + gamora/will they wont they).

Gamora and her sister could be cut out of this movie, along with the gold people, and nothing would be changed. Groot, too.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Lol it's not though. It's spectacularly worse than the first. They just made a regular Marvel movie.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Gamora wasn't even featured in a lot of the merch that would show all the guardians. Like on many shirts, it was just groot, rocket star lord and Drax.

And they somehow reduced her even more in this movie.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I get that I just think it's an odd choice to base a whole film's story from and plus like someone else mentioned it ended their careers.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Obviously he has self control. He's not stripping the Milano or robbing random people of their jewels on the street.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Why does Ego need Quill? Because one is not enough but for some reason two may be? And he cant just make a clone, he has to make a child, wait for them to age, and then see if they have the power? He wasn't even actively checking or looking for his kids, he was waiting for them to show themselves?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

No, I watched the movie, it just seemed to only make "script" sense and not, uh, actual sense...if that makes sense.

Dude has the power to create an entire world but oh no! He's just one child short, he assumes, for some reason, and that if he could only have a child (that he cant create from nothing like he does everything else, for some reason it needs to be part human?) he'd finally be able to do what he wanted to do, which, I guess, was just be everything.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Lol it is the same relationship from the first movie but elongated. What new info did you gleam?

It's also a very well trodden sibling rivalry cookie cutter story. It's doubly unoriginal uninspired and boring to watch.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

It could be completely cut out of the movie. It was, "ok, gamora, go off and do this while the boys have fun and do the real mission."

Mantis is a stolen child, made into slave by a man, told she is ugly the entire film by a man, until, in the end, a man tells her she's actually not ugly.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

What does mantis do in the movie? Other than touch people and tell us the emotions we already knew the characters were feeling?

Like, go ahead and like the movie I guess but not admitting this film had poo poo roles for women is just putting your head in the sand.

Also, why did the dad have to say he gave the tumor? Just unnessary villain explaining his plot bond trope that has been made fun of since before Austin powers.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Nah, my criticisms that 1) this movie (and marvel movies in general) have very limited and lovely roles for women and 2) this movie leaned heavily on well worn tropes without being innovative are pretty thought out and, in the case of 1) re: women is pretty well documented and said more eloquently than I across various articles and blogs on the net. I'm sorry you like basic movies and are easily entertained by seeing the same stories told again and again with slightly different avatars.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

How can the Gamora story be your favorite story after Yondu/Rocket. They are both such simple, simple stories. And this isn't me being like, "You see, you can reduce any story to a bare bones simplication." That's my problem. we are GIVEN a barebones simple story in all three cases (Peter, Rocket/Yondu, Gamora). I mean, for fucks sake, Yondu literally says, "we're the same, you and I!"

This time around, they took very simple stories (competitive siblings realize that what's important is their love for each other, someone you think is different actually has something in common with you, your estranged parent turns out to not be so great and you learn to love the family you have) and just gave us that. I have no issue if you want to serve a simple story, but add some loving garnish. This movie had no garnish, immagition, or creativity other than boring CGI.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

A familiar line but she sells it drat well.

This is how I felt about Yondu.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Misogyny for laughs. If you really think the women in this movie are treated equally I really don't know what to tell you. Gamora is designated to a trite C story while Mantis' entire purpose is to be validated by a dude.

Also your hand waving/giggling away is exactly how this poo poo becomes normalized. They have so many ways to tell stories and they not only picked ones we've seen before but crappy ones at that.

It's ok to like something and still admit it's flaws or shortcomings. It's also ok to want more from your comic book movies.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm really not worried at all. I positively revel in not being worried about stuff like this. I'm literally giggling as I type this because you think this has anything whatsoever to do with real-world gender relations, either positively or negatively. I am part of the imaginary problem in your head, and I don't care, and I hope someday you can learn to not care too, so you can be happy.

lol you're a weird rear end dude.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Why on earth would you think the media we consume and are presented wouldn't have a real world effect? What is the real world for you? Watching movies isn't part of your real world?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Mantis is only there to serve drax. Your last paragraph is all about him.

Serve drax or serve to further exemplify why ego, another dude, is a bad parent to quill, main dude.

GoldfishStew fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 15, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

He didn't love her. He didn't love anything. He's a sociopath. He gave her a drawn out painful death.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Your questions will be hand waved away by fanboys who are just happy to have comic book movies, quality be damned.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yes, continue trivializing misogyny. What a great take.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I don't know if you realise this or not, but you sound like a complete twat.

You attack me for criticizing the movie for their treatment of women with a derogatory, gendered insult.

You realize you're completely oblivious, right?

Sorry y'all like basic flicks. Enjoy transformers.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Egos planet was so boring looking.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Lol these cats dont even want to admit or discus this movies flaws or shortcomings. They just want to jerk off over some CGI.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Probably the best line of the movie. So funny.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Finally, one other person who isn't sucking this movies (yondus?) dick.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

This movie was worse than the first in pretty much every way. Weird dude who asked what I didnt like about the scenery I will make a detailed post for you and you alone later.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Why must this movie remain perfect to you? Why can't you like something that has flaws?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

lol Jesus loving Christ.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

It's not hard when you are just using tropes done and seen before and are known to work.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

When you verbatim use lines like, "We're the same, you and I!" And "all I've ever wanted was a sister." I'm sorry, I'm not going to give you too much credit. Original filmmaking is hard. Cribbing and making a paint by numbers film is not (as hard).

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yaws posted:

The overwhelming majority of filmmakers use "tropes". Even the ones held in high regard. This is not a legitimate complaint.

Yaws posted:

The overwhelming majority of filmmakers use "tropes". Even the ones held in high regard. This is not a legitimate complaint.

It is a legitimate complaint. I am well aware that there are only so many stories to tell or relationships to comment on. But a deft writer will hide these by putting their own spin on it. Literally just using lines that have been used again and again is lazy and uninteresting to me. Again, enjoy your standard fare blockbuster. That's fine. Just don't sit here pretending it's something it's not, which is anything other than mediocre.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yaws posted:

It's not a complaint that's worth considering when determining the merits of a film. Everyone from Spielberg to Fincher to Kurosawa has dealt with tropes. It's almost an inevitability when telling a story. This applies to films made now, films made in the Silent Era to films made in India (or wherever). You don't get points for pointing out standard plot beats.

This is the laziest form of film criticism.

I don't know how many other ways to say that those people you mentioned, and others, including Gunn himself, have been better at hiding those tropes, beats, and standards. Literally saying, "You're alike, you and I!" Is lazy and if you don't see that you are also lazy.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Franchescanado posted:

I thought the intro tour to Ego's planet was a little reminiscent of the landscape area of Willy Wonka's factory. I agree it wasn't embraced as much as it could have been (but I don't know how you could explore that without hurting the pacing), but that first scene was very colorful (though a little flat depth-wise), and each scene used a different color palette to keep it moving (rainbow palette for the intro, then white with red emphasis for the jackets, then greens, then blues (for the night scene), then oranges/red for Gamora's seclusion, oranges/greens for Drax and Mantis's conversation). All of it was framed very well. Plenty of wide-angle lenses, most of the characters stayed out of the center to keep the energy up. The internal parts of Ego's planets were a wonderful blend of greens and blues, which worked well for a backdrop of a golden army, while Ego's forms and veins were white and light blues.

What didn't you like about the visuals of Ego's planet? Specifically.

Sorry this took me so long to respond to.

Anyway, I have only seen the movie once and I don't think here is a....high quality version for me to access on my own where I could rewatch and screen cap for you but I will do my best to answer accurately and honestly but please bear with me.

For me, I really really really liked the first guardians. I saw it five times in theaters. I fell for the movie hard. Trying to think back on what I liked visually about that movie as opposed to this movie, I feel like it was a matter of scope and size. A lot of the first movie goes big, like maybe when they get to the floating head planet (even five+ times in I forget the name), the place where they meet the collector. OK, that planet was super visually interesting to me and they start big by showing us the whole planet from the outside and then we get smaller and smaller until we are mostly just in a bar or in a collector's office. These places are filled with, what is the word for real props, but, you know, actual things as opposed to glaringly obvious CGI. A lot of the times on Ego's planet, even if it's just a backdrop, the stuff was so grand and CGI that it gave me the same vibes as some of the scenes in the Star Wars prequels (ep 1 in particular). The first one, many times visually, set us up big visually and then got us smaller. Tight corridors or in a ship or what have you. I just didnt find the grand CGI of this one appealing or particularly good looking.

And I know many many many films use CGI. This is similar to my writing complaint. Yes, many writers use tropes but they are better about hiding it. Same with CGI for this movie, I felt it just looked like a generic Marvel movie as opposed to having real character, visually, like the first one did.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

It's less reacting to people who say they like it (me included) than reacting to the handful of people who debate every. single. criticism. of the film as if this Marvel film were a jenga tower on the verge of collapsing if we admitted that like, the visuals or dialogue could have been better

Yeah, this is what pisses me off the most. Like, it's a fine movie. I personally liked the first one way more but that movie really hit my clit. But what really gets under my skin are people who just bury their head in the sand or try and refute any problem someone had with the movie.

Saying, "that wasn't a problem for me but I can see where you're coming from" goes a long way as opposed to "No, your criticism is wrong and invalid. Please post a list of movies you like so I can find the same problems in those and thus prove you know nothing about film."

Things can have flaws and still be good and liked. You can also want more from your comic book movies.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Disagreeing is fine and welcome. Trying to say that using stock lines is the same as putting your own spin on a trope and so it should be hand waved away is disingenuous to me.

I would prefer admittance of weakness in the writing. If you don't see it as weakness using stock lines, uh, ok. If you dont think they are stock lines/cookie cutter relationships with barely any personal flair added other than Gamora is green and her sister is blue so, uh oh, this ain't your typical sister sister fighting, then you need to ingest more stories.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yaws posted:

From what I can tell, you're only complaint about this movies is that is leaned heavily on well worn tropes. A complaint that has been thoroughly debunked.

You need to stop acting as if you're offering any unique criticisms.

See, you're a loving dipshit because you think you can "debunk" people's actual complaints about the movie. The movie had some lazy writing.

1) I think it's bullshit to be like, "Well other movies have lazy writing, too, so that doesn't count!

2) this movie has AGGRESSIVELY lazy writing if it's just using stock lines, which makes it worse than just using tropes and well worn relationships (which, I know and am not against many movies doing. There's only so many relationships and stories to tell)

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yaws, how can you be so insightful in the SW thread but such a total gently caress in this one. It's mind boggling.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Maybe you didn't open yourself enough emotionally to the movie?

I cried so it's good.

the only time I cried was when it was over because I was happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

There is absolutely no justification or spin you can apply for the tumor, by the way. It was all in service of the reveal and then the shooting. The shooting is cool, but for it to exist Gunn shoe horned in a crazy heel turn that made no sense. It had to be a tumor (which is not justifiable) so that we could get the cool reaction from starlord. It doesn't make sense because it only exists to get the cool reaction.

• Locked thread