Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dexo posted:

Cant wait for that Zune to have all of the hottest 90s or early 00's pop music on it.

This was the biggest missed opportunity for some jokes, IMO. I was really hoping Quill would sit down with it, hit play, and get 300 hours of gangster rap or gabbercore or something. He hit the perfect song on his first try. Maybe he remembered it from when he was a kid but hasn't heard it for 20 years? That's really sweet all by itself -- they could get some real mileage out of him discovering new music but I guess that's probably a little much to cram into the end of the movie. Maybe what they really needed was another mid-credits scene gently caress yeah give us more and more forever.

Guy A. Person posted:

Explaining the plan was vital, even showing how he loved Earth music. A lesson in basic musical methaphor was totally not necessary and super obnoxious and bad.

I thought it was fine, but I don't know that I've ever actually listened to the lyrics of the song before. If I had been familiar I can see how it'd grate, but there are probably plenty of people that don't know it. I thought it was effective if anything and making Ego seem inhuman -- here's a song in an alien language he hasn't heard for 20 years and he can perfectly remember all the lyrics and expound on the meaning? Not a Regular Dude sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Franchescanado posted:

Specifically, the only child fathered out of some form of affection/love instead of just reproduction.

I have to say I didn't like the detail that Quinn was special because of (reasons, the above being one possibility. It's one of my least favorite things in the movie. Humans-are-special in any context bugs me a lot, but especially in sci-fi for some reason. They could have said that the key difference is that Peter grabbing an Infinity Stone unlocked a cosmic awareness inside or something? Make it something he did, not something inherent in his person.

I guess it works thematically if he's special because Ego loved his mother, but I thought basically everything Ego said was a lie. I don't think Ego was capable of truly loving another person, and everything he said on that angle was to seduce Peter. I'm actually a little surprised people think he looked like Kurt Russell with all the other alien women -- it's a funny joke, but I took it to be an indication that he was fabricating 90% of his story (or from his perspective, glossing over the unimportant details for the dumb human.) I figured he told the same thing a hundred times to a hundred children, then tried to play catch with them and threw them off the veranda if they couldn't make an energy ball.

• Locked thread