Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Franchescanado posted:

Not really. Peter's a novice at the powers, he can only use them on the planet, and in small doses. They directly say it would take a few million years for Peter to be capable of doing any real damage for an extended period of time. Even so, there wouldn't be an Infinity War, because there'd be nothing but Ego everywhere. He wasn't possessing anything, he was actively growing over it and destroying it, coincidentally like a tumor or cancer. There would be Ego and Quill and nothing else.

Isn't the source of The Light Ego itself? Since Peter is basically half Celestial he should also be able to create light, though not nearly as strong and he probably never would have figured it out without Ego telling him. But thanks to Ego giving him a crash course in using the light, I'm assuming the epochs of lonely learning to manipulate surrounding matter aren't entirely necessary.

Tenzarin posted:

I wonder if all Ego's children could use his powers but the lack of him being in his children's life or how they were raised without their mother because he killed them all, repressed all their abilities.

Ego specifically said that Peter is the only one of his children to carry Celestial genes. So it's either the true love for Peter's mom, or a reference to how Humans tend to pick up super powers like magnets in the Marvel Universe. Or maybe the dick he created when he imagined what sentient life would look like is just best when used with Humans, because out of the millions of species in the galaxy, only Humanity could produce a Kurt Russel.

Really missed the chance to have Peter's mom look like Goldie Hawn in that last case though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MisterBibs posted:

Wasn't that a joke? I figured Ego was using an alien body each time he went to a new planet, the model of Human Him was just a default Me Icon in all the panels of his story he told Peter.

Ego can look like anything, as seen by his brief Hasselhoffing, but framed everything in a way most likely to get Peter on board, so it's possible that he just changed his appearance for each planet. On the other hand inter-species boning and offspring are common things in Guardians, and he did look like Kurt Russel, so he could have been using the same skin for his avatar the whole time.

Plus even after dropping the act and pretense with Peter he repeatedly went to the Human appearance, even when going giant to fight Pac-Man Quill. Given that Egotar was looking pretty pale and haggard by the time Groot blew up his brain, Kurt Russell is at the very least his preferred appearance. Maybe even owing to his love for Peter's mother.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It was a little weird because so much of the rest of the movie had cartoon rules on killing. Like the space ships they blew up were all beep boop videogame drones and rocket defends the ships with home alone silly knockout traps. Then there is just one scene where they are massacring humans and it is weird, because it's not even like they are big villains that they built up as being actually bad or anything.

Like it wasn't some super gory scene that would have bugged me in any other movie but in this one it did seem out of left field to suddenly be killing people super casual in a movie that seemed to be on 90s cartoon "only kill robots/monsters/the baddest guy in a special episode" rules.

They're all aliens. Aliens are always part of the Robots/Monsters rule of ok to kill. You'll also notice that most of the space pirates with no prosthetics to make them freaky aliens were spaced by the space pirates with prosthetics. The most notable of the non-prosthetic aliens remaining either joined Yondu, were depicted as especially bad and killed just off screen, or were given a comedic instead of a vicious death.

Which is leaving aside that Yondu's crew of Ravagers have been built up across both films as being pretty bad guys, even if Yondu himself is a bit of a big ol' softy underneath the gruff. This movie even went out of the way to underline the divide between "cool" space pirates and rear end in a top hat space pirates before having the rear end in a top hat space pirates offed to cool tunes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels less that I'm shocked they killed them, and more like the movie felt like it went SO far out of it's way to make the sovereign absolutely not die in the space battle and then had rocket, who is a total psychopath only use fun traps when defending the ship. So it felt really suprising when suddenly they kill like 50 people really casually.

It's like if there was a gi joe episode where they are blowing up planes and always showing the parachutes coming out then there was just some random scene where they shoot xamat in the face and he dies or something.

Did any of the guys caught in Rocket's "fun" traps show up again later?

Also the sovereign thing was another aspect of their character where they're so far up their own asses that instead of using drone warfare as a safe alternative for their people, they use it as another way to show they're better than others. And the High Priestess is so snooty that she's a bigger dick than Admiral Golden Peacekeeper Crichton, which is impressive.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 7, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Franchescanado posted:

I fully believe that was intentional, and I appreciate that choice.

While I appreciate what they were doing with it, I felt like Rocket and Yandu's arc was a little forced and rushed. A little too much telling everyone what they are feeling and the lesson they are learning right now. Same with the Gamora and Nebula resolution. Just a little too quick and a little too much I will say exactly how I am feeling and what I am processing at this moment.

Not bad, just a little to pat and quick. Which is why despite Kurt Russel and the wax dioramas of learning I think the first one was better.

The moment between Drax and Mantis was fantastic, and may be causing an unfair judgement of the others by reflection.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's not exactly out of character for him either. You get the feeling that if anything kept Rocket in line in the first film it was Groot, and now Groot's a baby so Rocket is free to wallow in his own crapulence. His worst instincts come to the fore and trouble follows.

Though in his defense the Sovereign are elitist eugenicist dicks so stealing from them is basically stealing from Nazis right. (I doubt he thought that much about it, though.)

They're not so much using controlled breeding to get rid of inferiors as they're just genetically engineering the poo poo out of themselves to the point where they don't even have babies anymore. It's similar, but not the same thing. Massive, elitist, pricks though. Really need to engineer that stick out their rear end.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy A. Person posted:

oh I have a theory/question(?) about (post-credit spoiler) Adam Warlock

Okay so all I know about the guy is that he 1) is a hero 2) he is like a guardian of one/multiple of the infinity stones at some point(s)? and 3) he is an enemy of Thanos.

Anyway, what I am saying is is that it would be awesome if he is "born" and because he is made to be perfection personified, he just immediately rejects whatever stupid revenge plan these guys have cooked up for him, and instead he goes to seek knowledge and realizes what he really needs to be doing is protecting the universe from Thanos or whatever

I'm kind of hoping that the High Priestess just bombarded the poo poo out of Adam in his coccoon with all the 1970/80s Earth culture she could get a hold of as part of her master plan to create something taylor made to destroy the Guardians. Then he abandons his designed quest, because of 70s/80s pop culture reference, goes to Earth, and bonds with Vision while they listen to Mr. Roboto and Vision tries to convince Adam to wear cashmere.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Since Peter was the result of a quest to create a power boost so Ego could be the galaxy, doesn't that mean that Peter is actually full of light himself and doesn't actually need Ego to be a god? I mean, if you're lacking power, charging up an empty battery sure isn't helping you be more powerful.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Ego killing Star-Lord's mother is really just effective as a swerve, otherwise you're just reiterating my own points - the father has a skeleton full of closets, he has other women and other children. These are all things that children fear. It's not very effective, so people focus on the gasp and shock of that swerve.

Those are quite clearly not the things that Peter gives a flying gently caress about, let alone fears.

When Peter goes with Ego to the diorama room and is told Ego's plan, his eyes become stars as he realizes the beauty of everything in the universe being connected. It is after jacking Peter into the plan that Ego begins to reveal the true motives behind it. He does this slowly to test to see if Peter is still down with the plan. As Ego ramps up the reveals, Peter maintains his agreement.
All the universe being forced into the Ego? Down with it.
The reveal that Ego had gone to tons of other planets and had tons of other kids? Down with it.
The reveal that Ego didn't give a gently caress about any of those other kids because they were failed eugenics projects? Down with it.
The reveal that the thousands of Peter's siblings had been killed by their father? Down with it.
Ego tells Peter to forget about his friends because they're meaningless? Whoa, pump the breaks, now Peter starts questioning the whole thing and loses his euphoric expression.
Ego tells Peter that his mom had to die, because Ego was just so in love with her? Eyes lose their stars and the guns come out.

Peter's entire being throughout both volumes of Guardians is about finding connections. His break from the Ravagers at it's heart is because he believes Yondu doesn't love him, that he's just kept around because he was small enough to steal poo poo adults couldn't get too and possibly as an emergency ration.

Peter in no way cares about closet skeletons, dads loving women other than moms, or their having other kids. His Daddy is a notorious space pirate that murders shitloads of people, the girl he wants to get with is a notorious assassin and mercenary, his best buddy is a kleptomaniac mad scientist who enjoys killing, and his other buddy is also a notorious killer. Peter takes pride in Yondu loving around, and only curtails sleeping around himself when it offend Gamora. Ego is the one who assumes that Peter would care about not being an only child, because Ego can't handle not being super special.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

You're confusing Star-Lord with the audience.

Are people generally afraid their dad will abandon them after he already did so 34 years ago?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GotG movies are unimpressive past the immediate observation that they're colourful and sometimes pretty. Hitch-Hiker's for example shows how forgettable GotG 1&2 are for massive sci-fi adventure extravaganzas.

The reaction that visuals don't matter is predictable.

The continuing argument isn't that visuals don't matter. The repeated rebuttals to your MOS and Hitchhiker screen shots is varying degrees of 1)those are bad screenshots that don't display the actual appearance of the film, 2)those are bad screenshots that don't display valid comparisons, 3)a movie doing something better than another movie doesn't automatically make that other movie crap, 4)while visuals are important, they are not the be all and end all of what makes a good or enjoyable movie. Your response is to call anyone who disagrees objectively wrong on a subjective matter and then post more copies of the same screen shots.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Franchescanado posted:

Ego didn't create Mantis, he merely found her as an infant during his travels.

Probably couldn't get any play with the queen, and then stole her on the way out.

Also Mantis' backstory is dire in the comics according to wikipedia.

quote:

Mantis is the half-Vietnamese, half-German daughter of Gustav Brandt—Libra—and was born in Huế, Vietnam. In her childhood, her father leaves her in Vietnam at the Temple of the alien Priests of Pama, a sect of the Kree. The Kree believe she might become the Celestial Madonna and mate with the eldest Cotati on Earth to become the mother of the Celestial Messiah, "the most important being in the universe".

She excels in her martial arts studies, but when she reaches adulthood, she is mind-wiped and sent into the world to gain life experience. She becomes a prostitute and barmaid in a Vietnamese bar, where she meets the Swordsman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cockmaster posted:

Forget that, why would Ego casually confess to murdering Quill's mother wight when he was successfully selling himself as a loving father?

He believed that Peter had bought into the plan and had gradually been working up to that the whole time both as a test for Peter's loyalty to the plan and as part of the whole nothing but Ego plan.

By the time Ego revealed that he'd killed Peter's mom deliberately he'd already also revealed that Peter actually had hundreds(thousands?) of brothers and sisters that Ego had killed. Peter is high on universal oneness through the gradually increasing horror of Ego's actual plan. It isn't until Ego mentions that the other Guardians aren't needed that Peter begins to question the plan, but is clearly still star eyed. The next thing is Ego killed Peter's mom, and then it's shooting time.

Remember that there was no reason for Ego to be afraid of Peter anyway. Peter could just barely control the light and was easily overpowered and forced into being a battery anyway. It's just that Ego underestimated the power of a boy's love for his friends, his mother, and the mixtape she gave him. Shouldn't have done that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How is Peter going to get the 3rd volume of Awesome Mix now that he doesn't have a tape player and he already listened to both his mom's mix tapes? Will Grandpa Quill introduce Peter to the majesty of Now That's What I Call Music?

GoldfishStew posted:

Gamora wasn't even featured in a lot of the merch that would show all the guardians. Like on many shirts, it was just groot, rocket star lord and Drax.

And they somehow reduced her even more in this movie.

Marvel skimping on merchandise featuring the ladies in their product? What a surprise.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Maybe Danny will give Peter his old iPod at the end of Secret War. Outcast would make some great space music.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ego states that he can only control the matter around him. He doesn't create things from nothing. That's why it took millions of years just to create his planet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Colonel Whitey posted:

Complaining about Gamora-Nebula being rehashed in this one is extremely dumb. It was barely explored in the first one beyond some lines of dialog setting up the conflict and in this one it's fully resolved.

My only complaint about Gamora and Neblua is that they came to a detente/relationship repair in little more than a single scene. I like the overall arc of the relationship and where it ended in the movie, but the speed with which they got there once they fought in a cave would make the Flash envious.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GoldfishStew posted:

Misogyny for laughs. If you really think the women in this movie are treated equally I really don't know what to tell you. Gamora is designated to a trite C story while Mantis' entire purpose is to be validated by a dude.

Also your hand waving/giggling away is exactly how this poo poo becomes normalized. They have so many ways to tell stories and they not only picked ones we've seen before but crappy ones at that.

It's ok to like something and still admit it's flaws or shortcomings. It's also ok to want more from your comic book movies.

Quill has the A story. Rocket has the B story. Gamora and Nebula have the C story. Drax and Mantis have the D story. Groot has no story at all.

Mantis' purpose isn't validation, it's leaving the bad dad who raised her in order to become her own person. Because we gotta make sure we cover all the dad bases. It's a real shame that Grandpa Quill got cut and we don't get that dad story.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Should have been a Braums instead of DQ.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like that we're pretending that "I liked it", "Best Marvel Movie", "Better than the first one", and "7/10" are now the rave reviews of sycophants in the throws of worshiping their perfect film.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Dude, according to you, that's exactly what he did.

He saw her 3 times and realized if he saw her again he'd give everything up for her. He understood that he was falling in love, starting to see someone else as valuable or even more valuable than himself, and decided to end it. The slow killing tumor both ended the temptation and allowed his plan to continue by letting Peter grow up in a safe environment from which he could be kidnapped and brought to Ego. The horrible, monstrous, act is the proof and the consequence of turning his back on "humanity" so as to remain divine.

Brother Entropy posted:

i wish we could've seen how ego treated his other kids; like, we know they all ended up dead but did he take some serious time to see if they could do his light magic with some training or was it just a quick neck snap the first time they gave up

there's this one moment the first time peter pulls it off where ego gets really loving pumped real quick then dials it back to a chiller 'hey i knew you had it in you', you kinda see his composed facade break for a moment upon finally getting what he's been after for however millions or billions of years they said he's been doing this poo poo

Probably gave them at least 3 chances before offing them. He did first get Peter to make light, then got him to manipulate it. So probably at least that long before dumping their body in Daddy's Little Disappointments Cave.

I wonder if he used his power to create food for Mantis or if she had to eat failed demi-god goulash every day.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Is there any place in the movie where Ego directly lies? I mean directly spews a verifiable falsehood.

Pretty sure he directly lies about Peter being his only child and Meredith being his only baby mamma. Though I'd have to see it again to make sure he wasn't just super fine line not technically lying. Everything was designed to both gain Peter's trust and slow walk him into being on team Ego.

I wonder if Ego knew about the other Celestials and what he planned to do with all that inconvenient life that was out in space at the moment when he absorbed thousands of planets.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All of Ego's alien kids had his genes. Peter is just the only one, yet discovered, who had the recessive gene that lets him manipulate Celestial energy. It's also quite possible that there is more than one way to manipulate Celestial energy, perhaps even having to do with Peter not being a full Celestial, that meant that Peter and Ego used different methods of matter manipulation. Or maybe Peter could figure it out in a few hours since Ego did the hard lifting of teaching himself how to do it and then taught Peter. Like how you learn calculus in a semester but good luck trying to invent it in a semester with no prior knowledge of it.

Or you know, maybe that's the power of love.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Fox can keep the X-Men, just please give back the Fantastic Four stuff. We really want Luke Cage second Netflix season to be about the time that Dr. Doom stiffed Luke Cage.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Electromax posted:

The last 30 minutes of Infinity War will be like the fight in the background of GotG2 intro + the Avengers brief "single tracking shot" bits but for one single half-hour tracking shot of Thanos wrecking 30 dudes in a row, like that scene in The Protector where Tony Jaa fights his way up the spiral hotel atrium.

A single take asskicking ascent of Avengers tower is far too high a bar to even hope to see in the distance of a Marvel movie.

Edit: on the other hand, Marvel should absolutely take the opportunity to have Thanos hang out on Tony's couch before DC has a chance to let Darkseid take his plush throne uncontested.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coyo7e posted:

I thought Drax was an enhanced human, did they rewrite him at some point to have his own alien race?

Correction: ex-human

He's been an alien since his introduction in the first movie. The only characters from Earth in the Guardians movies so far are Peter and Rocket, who is unaware/refuses to acknowledge that he's from Earth.

• Locked thread