Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

Mr Farron said: "My message on the eve of that anniversary is this, things can only get better, but this time with the Liberal Democrats.
Inspirational stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oberleutnant posted:

i really like big macs
I find the laptops suit my workflow much better.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

Rhodri Philipps, the 4th Viscount St Davids, wore a tweed gilet over a navy suit

Steal This Look!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JFairfax posted:

not really, people dont give a gently caress beyond the headlines for the most part.

it's why this whole strong and stable robot thing will probably actually work.
I read 'strong and stable' but in my head it's to the tune of 'black and yellow', I'm not sure if the propaganda is working or not tbh

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's pretty clear that a good proportion of the people responding to these are reflexively hitting whatever button corresponds to THERESA MAY=GOOD and JEREMY CORBYN=BAD. Good polling is really difficult and the responses to these are not an accurate measure of what the question is asking.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JFairfax posted:

I don't know if any of you have tried to close a 'deal' as a business person, but let me tell you if one party thinks the sum should be £0, zero, zilch nothing and the other party believes it should be £XX,000 or higher then it's very difficult to meet in the middle.

The British government so far are disagreeing that there is anything to pay at all for leaving the EU, not 'oh we need to agree on the amount' - they disagree that there is any amount to pay at all.

That is not a good starting point for a negotiation.
We're currently just under 5% of the way through the Brexit countdown. By the election it'll be almost 10%. I wonder how far through the countdown we'll be before we even start the negotiations.

MikeCrotch posted:

This should be put up as the ultimate indictment of capitalism, in that the bourgeois suck all the capital out of society and are sitting at the top of hierarchy yet they're still loving miserable.
Capitalism is a disease. If I had 100,000 of something and they weren't making me happy I reckon I could figure out that another 100,000 wouldn't make me any more happy. Certain people seem cognitively unable to do anything to improve their happiness besides 'get moar moneys'.

Also:
New 'indestructible' £1 coins are 'melting' and some centre pieces have dropped out

quote:

Despite being called 'indestructible', the new £1 coins are reportedly seeing a series of unusual flaws which left one being released without a centre piece.

Other new pound coins are said to be misshapen, have the colours blending in to each other and can even melt, reports the Mirror.

After just two months into production there are claims they are littered with misstrikes.

One recipient of a new pound coin said: “It is all melted and out of shape."

Something something strong and stable economy.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Teddybear posted:

Hey, wonder if some of the stuff in that Guardian article is in effect-- have the music channels got a lot gloomier?
I just woke up to Bowie's Young Americans which isn't particularly sombre.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oberleutnant posted:

Remember a few months ago when the foreign office was nervously shuffling its feet about how it had literally no negotiators for the brexit department with any kind of experience at negotiating huge international deals like this?

Lol.

So that's turning out well.
Don't need negotiators for our bold tactic of 'give us everything we want or we'll hold our breath until our face turns blue'.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

People have lost faith that liberalism works, so the Tories now practice economic liberalism while sporting a massive authoritarian boner on social issues and shouting up nationalism to disguise it. Our press spouts the same thing, the whole world is turning slowly, weightily towards a rejection of the liberal dream of everything being great as long as we deregulate everything and stop governing everything but the poor, who obviously can't be trusted to govern themselves. And it's rejecting it in the way that the powerful have seized on, which is to find someone else to blame for their failings.
The Graun had an article with basically the same conclusion; pointing out that while people are starting to reject global capitalism, only the far right is claiming to offer an alternative. The left (other than Corbyn who of course is just a silly jam man) are now just promising to sustain the status quo instead of seizing on the rare opportunity to offer positive change.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I also spent some time wondering who megin was and why she needed feeding.
Similarly, it took me a little while to realise that pissflaps is basically a oval office.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zephro posted:

I'm not totally convinced by this. The status quo that the left is defending* is Britain's membership of a big trading bloc that imposes tariffs on those outside the bloc and has strong protections for workers inside it. The right, in its penetrating critique of global capitalism, wants to blow all that up and turn Britain into a rainier Somalia, because this will make us all rich.
Being a member of the EU is part of the status quo, and it's a part that's certainly beneficial, but how many on the left have been seriously calling for actual positive reforms (of the EU or just in general)? The status quo is toxic right now and if the only choice is between 'status quo' and 'burn it all down' then people have nowhere to go.

Take immigration. We keep getting upset that this country is stupid and racist but the only narratives on offer appear to be 'immigration needs to be brought under control' and 'immigrants all need to be deported immediately'. If none of the major parties is offering a positive message on immigration then it's hardy surprising that people don't write that narrative for themselves.

Pesmerga posted:

Corbyn is finished. Regardless of my personal feelings about him, between this and the general election, this will be used as an indictment of any policy further left than Thatcherism.
Corbyn's policies have always been popular, it's his character that gets attacked. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people don't really know what his policies are.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zephro posted:

" where practicable " seems like a possible get-out clause...
They'll always run into the fundamental problem that a magic government–only backdoor into encryption just isn't possible. I assume we'll eventually end up in a situation similar to the PSA, where they implement a total ban on encryption of any kind but then grudgingly allow exceptions for approved banks and online shops. I'm already excited to see somebody in court for having a misconfigured router sending garbled data that the Daily Mail claims could be CUNNING TERRORIST CODES

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ewan posted:

I think this is probably quite a common sentiment.

quote:

He’s incompetent. Massively, massively incompetent. He can’t do a no-seats-on-the-train stunt without falling flat on his face.
Corbyn messes up PR stunts, while the Tories mess up political maneuvering on a scale that's now taking us out of the EU and risks breaking up the Union. Diane Abbott gets her numbers wrong on the radio and is excoriated while Boris Johnson parades around for months in front of a bus with an eight-foot-high lie printed on it but basically gets away with it.

The Tories are so good at incompetence that people don't even see it as such any more and just call it 'politics'.

quote:

He doesn’t want to. He’s spent his entire adult life fighting the establishment and fighting against his own party, and when he is the establishment all that’s left for him to fight against is his party.
Like how Theresa May didn't want Brexit and campaigned against it? And by all means put up an alternative candidate for leadership with sound policies. That Corbyn got voted in as leader twice shows a deep desire for someone with his political leanings. We haven't yet found anyone better to replace him than Normal Human Owen Smith.

quote:

He won’t win anyway.
Nothing matters, hope is a lie and death is certain.

quote:

You’re a hypocrite. Because if you’d wanted to keep the Tories out you’d have backed away when it became clear he wasn’t going to be any good at the job.
"Shut up and vote for the status quo" is a popular sentiment right now but it doesn't seem to be a vote-winner. "Stop voting for Corbyn and instead vote for Candidate X who embodies similar views" is far less common but might be more productive.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ewan posted:

On the Corbynista attitude one, it is one that annoys me a lot. Their reaction to people suggesting Labour would better off more centrist or that they'd "never vote Corbyn PM" is to say "gently caress off Blairite/neoliberal/Tory scum", rather than trying to understand why they think that way, and come up with ideas to win them over rather than just telling them they're thick/evil cunts.

quote:

You’re a hypocrite. Because if you’d wanted to keep the Tories out you’d have backed away when it became clear he wasn’t going to be any good at the job.

gently caress you all. I just wish the rest of us weren’t going to get hosed as well.
You literally just minutes ago posted a link to a rant where the author tells Corbyn voters to gently caress off without trying to understand why they voted for him.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Posting all the Twitter links you've saved in response to a query about things that happen "on the campaign trail" suggests you're not arguing in good faith.

Ewan posted:

He says "gently caress you for ruining Labour's chances". He doesn't tell them to gently caress off and go vote for a different party.
Is this an important distinction? Are people only voting Conservative because a Corbyn supporter told them to?

TACD fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 6, 2017

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ewan posted:

No, but the way you win them back is understanding why this is happening and make changes to address it, rather than simply telling them to gently caress off, which is only going to make them double down.
I agree. My point is that this goes both ways, but nobody seems to be looking at Corbyn's support in the leadership contests and thinking about how to win over an obviously passionate group of people. It's only ever the left that is expected to 'hold their nose' and vote against their principles.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

...not many people who are actually racists are self aware enough to recognise that they are so it puts their backs up as well.
I think that's largely the point.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ora Tzo posted:

How goes the descent into Brexitgeddon?
Brexigeddon means Brexigeddon.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

dr_rat posted:

This is stupid. Honestly seems like it would of been better for Corbyn to refuse until a proper debate was agreed upon. At least then he could contentiously call her out on how stupid her refusal to debate is.
I don't know, I think it sounds like a potentially good format. 'Debates' usually end up with both sides trying to land the sickest burns, and Corbyn's strength is in not doing personal attacks and sticking to policy. May is going to have to either actually talk policy, repeat 'strong and stable / coalition of chaos' for the duration or launch personal attacks anyway, which is going to look really pathetic when Corbyn literally can't hear them and is instead answering the questions as asked.

The questions will very likely all be terrible QT–quality nonsense, of course.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Miftan posted:

It's not about the Ecuadorian embassy, I just didn't want to give away the actual one. Does it being a permanent posting matter? No embassy staff is permanent, and in this case the contract gets "re-signed" every year by both sides so I'm not sure which way this goes. The reason I'm asking is that the contract straight up ignores a load of UK employment laws (and ones from the host country, but that will be much harder to bring to court in the host country), so I was wondering if he could try to get some improvements in working conditions via UK law. Mostly stuff like time spent working, zero hours bullshit with an added minimum shifts per week only on his side (so he has to work 8 shifts a week, but if he's only given 3 that's also fine), amount of holiday/sick leave, etc.
This really sounds like you need an actual employment lawyer who know proper law language to help you out.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Miftan posted:

I think they're considering talking to unite to see if they can help, but a lawyer is obably the safest bet and I've told him as much. It's mostly a money issue.
I have no idea if your friend's situation is the sort of thing they can help with but it's at least worth looking into Bar Pro Bono and LawWorks.

Edit: Also possibly these people? Anyway Google around a bit, there might be other options available.

TACD fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 9, 2017

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fridge corn posted:

im voting lib dem

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

thinks get so incredibly poo poo the tories get voted out in a landslide like last time
Sooner or later, everyone's an accelerationist :unsmigghh:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

i'm the one with robot antennae

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I fully expect the decision to be 'we condemn the behaviour of the Conservative party but have decided not to proceed with prosecution at this time so as not to interfere with the ongoing election'.

The main headline in the news will be that Corbyn kept clearing his throat while answering a question and sounded insincere.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

HJB posted:

Thanks for the question. 16 year olds are schoolchildren, not schooladults. Give them a chance to get out of that bubble and experience the real world for a bit before having the opportunity to make decisions that will affect them for the rest of their life.
I disagree, at 16 they're still young enough to think politicians are actually bad for lying and dodging questions instead of being inured to it all. Plus, getting teenagers asking pointed questions to politicians makes for really good soundbite TV and politicians look super–duper bad when they're inevitably condescending liars in response.

Teenagers aren't stupid, and they're being sold up the river even harder than us.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jBrereton posted:

"Let's let the 16 year olds vote because they agree with our ideas"
This is not the argument. The argument is that 16 year olds should be able to vote because

MikeCrotch posted:

its a loving sham that at 16 you're considered old enough to work, pay tax and join the forces, but not vote

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Firos posted:

Other than fox hunting and the fuel price cap, I don't think I could even name another Tory policy. And I'm quite interested in politics. Is it just me being oblivious?
A hard, throbbing Brexit

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Alchenar posted:

Polly Toynbee has it right, the manifesto is full of good and popular stuff but it doesn't matter if you haven't earned the credibility as a leader for people to believe you will be able to deliver it.
'Credibility' isn't something you earn objectively like money. It's not even something that is assessed according to a measure of public approval or confidence. The media assigns 'credibility' by fiat according to their own motivations, and currently the only way to earn it is to be a bland neoliberal.

Party Boat posted:

Lib Dems have pledged to legalise cannabis
I remember them doing this back when I was first voting and young enough to be interested in smoking cannabis. (Drug legalisation is still cool and good though.)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sharrow posted:

Pinch of salt and all that, but that's laughably low. I guess someone's just been hit with drive-by ransomware and these trusts all have some amount of common infrastructure?
I got hit by a drive–by ransom attack today in that I had to pay £90 for the privilege of renewing the contract on my flat :mad:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'M PAUL NUTTALLS OF THE UKIPS

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

PIGS BREXIT posted:

To whom do we owe this good and accurate quote
I assume you're being facetious but:

quote:

“I am often asked if as prime minister I would order the use of nuclear weapons. It’s an extraordinary question when you think about it: would you order the indiscriminate killing of millions of people? Would you risk such extensive contamination of the planet that no life could exist across large parts of the world? It would mean world leaders had already triggered a spiral of catastrophe for humankind,” he said.
Frankly, it's loving perverted that he responds to a question about nuclear annihilation with measured consideration instead of a normal human response like near–instant ejaculation.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Evil_Urna posted:

All of the major points in the manifesto (rail, getting rid of tuition, building 100k consul flats etc) that are impossible to pay, takes a communists level of cognitive dissonance to campaign on.
Why do you think these things can't be paid for? We used to have nationalised rail. We used to have tuition grants. We used to build flats. What do you think has changed to make public investments in infrastructure and services impossible?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Evil_Urna posted:

All of the major points in the manifesto (rail, getting rid of tuition, building 100k consul flats etc) that are impossible to pay

Evil_Urna posted:

The UK already has a major problem with the rich offshoring and hiding money. It is only gonna get worse of you decide to tax them at over 90 percent.
These are two separate issues. People answered your first complaint and you responded by moving the goalposts. You're arguing in bad faith.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Noted war criminal Tony Blair may yet have his day in court

quote:

A high court judge is to consider whether a legal ban on prosecuting Tony Blair over the Iraq war can be challenged.

A private criminal prosecution against the former Labour prime minister was blocked in 2016 when it was ruled Blair would have immunity from any criminal charges.

On Tuesday the high court will consider arguments for reversing that ban and for keeping it.

The private prosecution seeks the trial in a British court of Blair, the foreign secretary in 2003, Jack Straw, and Lord Goldsmith, the attorney general at the time the government was deciding to join the invasion of Iraq.

It seeks their conviction for the crime of aggression and is based on the damning findings of last year’s Chilcot report into the British decision to join the invasion of Iraq, under the false pretext that Saddam Hussein’s regime had weapons of mass destruction.

The attorney general claims the case for the crime of aggression does not exist in English law, even though it does exist in international law. But that argument appears to be undermined in a document written by Goldsmith himself.

In his 2003 memo on the legality of the Iraq war, Goldsmith, then attorney general, seemed to accept a key point of those now seeking his prosecution. “Aggression is a crime under customary international law which automatically forms part of domestic law,” he wrote.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

What's worse? Blair never being tried for his crimes, or being tried and exonerated?
Being tried and exonerated is a single level of 'no repercussions for the rich', not even facing trial is a level above that. Make the bastard sit in court and have his platitudes heard by a judge.

ukle posted:

But we can't talk about immigration as that's 'racist' despite the fact this country has significant issues due to far too little money has been spent on infrastructure, and until that infrastructure has caught up its silly to add further people to it and making the problems even worse.
If you admit that infrastructure is the problem then it's a non sequitur to make the solution about immigration. Tackle the actual problem, fund the infrastructure, and immigration doesn't need to enter the equation.

TACD fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 16, 2017

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tee hee hee

http://strongandstable.party/

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Prince John posted:

I've been moderately interested to see Theresa May proposing a raft of worker's rights, new types of leave etc. and other policies supposedly appealing to the working class.
Appeal to any voters who might be tempted to switch to Labour, then implement the policies such that through malice or sheer incompetence they fall to pieces. Tories know they'll never be held to account over their failures and if anybody tries they'll spin it as discrediting the entire idea of worker's rights. Then when Labour propose doing the same thing properly they'll be accused of 'not being credible' and rehashing failed Tory policies.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

josh04 posted:

Epictetus is loving terrible, worth reading to remind yourself that there were improbably successful mediocrities even back in Ancient Greece.
Stoic ethics are cool and good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oberleutnant posted:

"don't complain about things you can't change, just shut up and get on with it" is a philosophy that, with a bit of mental contortion, you can make into a progressive system of thought. But when you look at the extant classics and their authors (Senecca and Marcus Aurelius in particular) you can see why it was so popular among statesmen , and why it was so readily incorporated into Christian thought - it's almost tailor-made for encouraging people to not make a fuss and accept their lot in life.

Now, if people took that central argument of Stoicism (about accepting what can't be changed uncomplainingly) and thought "well my poverty and exploitation aren't written in the stars, so I shouldn't accept them" then it could be a wonderful philosophy. But you'll struggle to find it applied like that in any of the classics.

Anyway Diogenes was better.
I agree it often gets interpreted as simply 'accepting things without complaint' and/or being a pushover, but I think that acceptance of the current situation (poverty, exploitation) isn't incompatible with fighting like hell to change it. And then still accepting the outcome of that fight, good or bad. British culture has definitely incorporated the acceptance ("well, you just get on with it, don't you") but we could do with a bit more of getting on with things while also kicking up a fuss about trying to improve them.

And outside of politics, an awful lot of the day–to–day minutiae that gets people wound up and frustrated really is irrelevant crap that is good to ignore and let go of. Just like, chill out, y'know? :cool:

• Locked thread