Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jose posted:

i'm glad blair is promising to get his hands dirty and help Theresa May get re-elected because shes what this country needs

Based on that Juncker meeting analysis she's certainly what this country deserves.

That said, I myself have been holding Brexit talks of late, and have successfully negotiated a deal to leave the EU I'm moving to Norway this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

knox_harrington posted:

How does voting work after you #brexit? What constituency do you vote in?

I am likely to be heading off to live in Switzerland shortly and won't be resident for at least a few years.

You vote in the constituency you were last registered in, and you can vote for up to 15 years after leaving the UK.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Spuckuk posted:

It's like looking into the UK 19 years forward. We'll be defending Ginsters lovely pasties :(

I'm glad that once we leave the EU Cornish pasty will no longer be a protected term. It's shameful that Ginsters is the most common pasty experience for most of the country, they're complete shite.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Worst man walks into a bar joke of this election campaign so far.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bessantj posted:

Hmmmm, maybe I will.

Free yourself of the oppression trouser regime and do your gardening wearing a liberating utilikilt.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I expect Philip is withdrawing from public appearances so he can concentrate on his new role as Britain's goodwill ambassador to the Brexit negotiations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My council ward has 3 SNP candidates and one from each of the other main parties, I guess as a result of the boundary changes last year? Previously we had two Labour councillors but it'll probably look something like 2xSNP, 1xLab and 1xLib this time around.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oberleutnant posted:

local councils.

I've been looking at my candidates and two of them don't have any online presence whatsoever. Of the remainder all but two seem to be really bad, and it's possible one of them has killed three people but I can't be sure it isn't someone else around the same age in the same neighbourhood with the same name. local councillors lol

If I want to put the Tory candidate last do I have to rank all the intermediate ones too or can I just do the top couple and the last one?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

Sounds like someone's prepared to make the tough strong choices required to reduce council expenditure by reducing demand for public services. Vote #1 imo

But yes, in Scotland you do have to vote all the ones in between if you want to vote someone last. #votetillyouboke. Maybe do your best to calculate the exact number of poors they want to kill and vote in order of least to most?

OK, thanks. I will try to figure out how to rank the Lib Dem who left Labour for the SDP, the man who has never used the internet and the SNP candidate with the overall top K/D ratio.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
FYI you do NOT get a sticker when voting this time around. It's barely even worth bothering.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

If you're wealthy enough to gently caress off at the election of a Tory you're probably not likely to get hosed that badly by them.

I've never gotten a sticker for voting. Surely this isn't actually a thing in the UK?

I think I got one at the 2010 GE but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Conservative Party: the brand so toxic that even we're ashamed of ourselves.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JFairfax posted:

I was broke when I left the UK in 2010 having not had a steady job for about 9 months.

it's really not that hard to move to another country if you travel light and want to make it happen.

I'm starting my move to another country tomorrow, as I promised previously in the thread I'm going to keep track of my expenses and post in a month or two what it cost me. I think last time it was about £2k over a couple of months but I didn't track it exactly. This time I think it might be a bit less.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm sure a repressurization shockwave travelling at the speed of sound won't cause any problems

What's the speed of sound in a vacuum?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

spectralent posted:

Question time is good???

It's actually extremely bad.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I will never reveal the secret meaning behind my username.

Also here's this while I wait for files to transfer so I can go to sleep. Long way to go yet, I guess for some reason a lot of Wales is reporting early?

e: Why does the SNP have one seat with no votes?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 5, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can't say I especially remember Corbyn's anti-Farron speeches, though I certainly do recall plenty of the reverse.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Apropos of nothing but my idle twitter browsing:

https://twitter.com/federicacocco/status/859770725003132928

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm listening to Radio 4 and in the past 15 minutes or so they've given Paul Nuttall, head of the racist party with no MPs and one councillor, three audio quotes. Nothing from notably more successful minority parties Plaid, the SNP, the Greens, and only a quote each from the big 3 (only Farron got a voice recording). Northern Ireland doesn't exist of course.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol now we have Nigel Farage on Any Questions along with the big three English parties. Cool.

e: don't know much about Emily Thornbury but she seems at least pretty good at radio in this format and is saying reasonable stuff.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't think people hate Andy Burnham. in fact I thinks its impossible for anyone to have a strong emotional reaction to him.

Someone described Burnham as "a child's drawing of a man", which is rather cruel but I think gets the point across accurately.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Namtab posted:

Doctors are ok, not quite nurse tier tho :smuggo:

Nurses are indeed good, but it would be ridiculous to talk about people serving public health without also honouring binmen and sewage workers, whose hard work probably saves more lives a year than a doctor or nurse will manage in a lifetime.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ora Tzo posted:

Replace the lords with an actual upper house too?

Lower the voting age to 16 and replace elected MPs with a randomly selected member of the electorate from each constituency. No parties, tell them to form a government as best they can. They're unlikely to accidentally do as much damage as recent governments have done the country intentionally, and it'll make UK politics a lot more entertaining to the rest of the world.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 8, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Making the UK the British Empire again would mean scrapping the Commonwealth Immigration Act and there's no way the country would vote for "free movement of goods, capital, services, and labour, but this time 500 million of them are black."

Just think what it would do to house prices.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
IMO someone who has gone through the expense, stress and effort of gaining UK citizenship is far more British than someone who just happened to be born here by accident and rolled with it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm in a cafe in some middle of nowhere village in Northern Sweden and I just heard a news report on the radio about the leaked Labour manifesto. I don't speak Swedish but I can pick out words like "manifesto", "Labour", "Jeremy Corbyn" and "Royal Mail privatisation".

Clearly Corbyn's message is reaching someone!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Alchenar posted:

Literally anyone who has the capacity to want to vote should have that option (caveating; you should have to be a Citizen and you have to be resident in the UK).

This takes the vote away from quite a lot of people who currently have it. Was that your intent?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't think cameramen set the BBC's editorial stance, and I hope he's OK.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm not sure I understand the argument for not taxing under 18s. I know that Americans are big on the "no taxation without representation" for historical reasons, but you don't pay taxes to be allowed to vote (I'm sure the Tories' would be keen on removing the franchise from the unemployed though). You pay taxes for the privilege of living in a society where sewage doesn't flow over the dead bodies lying on the mud track outside your collapsing hovel. In addition, it'd be absurd for a 16 year old child star to make millions in untaxed income, and it'd be likewise silly to allow rich parents to put assets in their children's name as a convenient tax loophole.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think Justin Beiber should be a concern for the tax system.

It doesn't really make much difference, just an additional problem I thought of. I just don't see any reason, if children are making sufficient money, not to tax then.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Private Speech posted:

I'm not counting Pissflaps among that group though.

I should hope not, Pissflaps is a master of his craft, not some grubby slavery/genocide/Germany apologist. He's been doing his bit here in this thread longer than I've been posting, everybody knows who he is and what his shtick is, yet people still for for it every time. I don't know why someone would sell their soul for that particular talent, but I reckon the devil got a raw deal.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol

just lol

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The legacy of Red Ed, who grew up reading Das Kapital over the breakfast table, lives on.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
How can you forget 2004 winner and former Ukrainian member of parliament Ruslana?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The solution to most password problems is to use a password manager. Then every password can be 20 random characters and, more importantly, they can all be unique. Password managers have their own potential vulnerabilities of course, but that's nothing compared with the current situation of most people using one or at most a couple of weak passwords to protect their entire online lives.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Seaside Loafer posted:

I could do with a good recommendation for a piece of password vault software at my place if anyone knows a good one. I've got them mostly sorted in their user and network security now but the all admin passwords are still living in one not terribly well hidden file on the IT manager's (I use the word manager loosely there) computer.

I liked LastPass but they've had a number of security holes found of late (by a Google security researcher, and they were all patched promptly, but still). Other popular managers that I have not used and which may also have security holes, but at least they haven't been made public yet, are Keepass and 1password. I believe both differ from LastPass in that you store the vault yourself, rather than them doing it on their server. This is potentially more secure but if you gently caress up then you're hosed. Dropbox is a popular option for storing your vault to make it accessible across devices and probably recoverable if you accidentally delete it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
So has May announced yet who'll be replacing Jeremy Hunt after his resignation following this appalling mismanagement of patient data on his watch?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Another Person posted:

Also the issue with bespoke and proprietary systems for the NHS is that they would be massive money sinks, and would probably require an entire training path just to hire people to work on developing after it exists and is out there. There is a reason we contract tech stuff out: it requires an expertise which only industry has, because nobody goes to university to get a degree in coding so they can take the modest income of NHS backend design - they would work for a company which pays them as much as possible for their knowledge. This would become a greater problem again as the system got older and older, because the education for coding would evolve - the language and design ideology of the NHS bespoke system would be an artifact of the day it was released. Getting people to choose to train into the expertise of a bespoke system would require some serious incentives, both for those choosing to learn it and the institutions you want to teach it. The funding would need to compete with private contract stuff.

Basically, having it all in house would either require a lot of money and connections with centres of learning (to train them for you), or it would require a lot of money and even more administration and internal organisation (for you to train them yourself).

I guess ideally the ecosystem you create is so good that you eventually sell it to other health services and similar extremely large organisations. That means it's widely used enough that people actually want to train in it, and maybe even brings in a bit of cash so it isn't such a massive money sink. You're talking about setting up a nationalised version of Oracle basically (hopefully not that bad though).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Scikar posted:

You haven't been reading, because £5.5m was the cost for an extra year of security updates to Windows XP from Microsoft. That is completely different to purchasing a full EHR software package.
Also Microsoft have taken the unusual step of releasing the Windows XP patch for this vulnerability publicly, for free. So I guess actually the cost of solving the NHS' IT problems is £0!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ukle posted:

Yes. Its why I am annoyed, we are the pawns for Lib Dem's bigger game. They were probably going to come second in both seats, but now they will come second in just 1 as despite Harrogate going remain they stand almost no chance in hell of winning the seat now.

While in Skipton they stood no chance of winning but they would have been the second largest, as they almost always were. Now its going to be Labour in second place, as per 2015, but there is no chance in hell of Labour ever winning this seat despite it being where a few of the founders of Labour were from. While the guy who is standing for the greens seems from the good side of the party and a good candidate (formal local college deputy principle) I just cant vote for a party that has such complete bat poo poo insane policies as the Greens now have and I expect many others round here to feel the same.

It doesn't really matter who comes in second in FPTP though?

• Locked thread