Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

World of Final Fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There is a pretty good amnesia subplot in Nier: Automata

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Oh I have like 90 Criterions I love, of which Godzilla is one. But some, like the Before Trilogy or the Dekalog, are absolutely cases of "I can kind of see why this is culturally/artistically deemed significant, but I am bored to tears watching this and know I'll never ever rewatch it."

The Dekalog is fuckin' amazing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, Dandelion writes the quest logs, not the bestiary entries.

Old Man Narrator Dandelion in the loading screens is hilariously bad, I wouldn't have known that was even supposed to be him until someone in the forums mentioned it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Just finished playing through a romhack of Mario 64, Last Impact. Got all 130 stars. Wouldn't recommend it.

How many A-presses did it take

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJsZhiOhUVg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bayonetta was good. The story made no sense to me. Also I'm glad they had those lovely turret, rail shooter, and running sequences to kill any obsession with getting all platinums or anything

Edit: Also a game with amnesia!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also the world was littered with a bunch of backer NPCs with bad fanfic.

I would probably get back to it because I heard the story gets better later but something about the combat really bugged me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I followed the game on the forums since day one of the Kickstarter and was kind of bummed that even though they had worked to make a totally original setting that was all their own and had all these interesting locales and cultures... the actual game was basically in late medieval not-Europe with familiar castles and forests and ruins :geno:

I know that there was a lot of work done on all the little details of the culture so I know it's not exactly like the Forgotten Realms but it still didn't feel that interesting to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I was going to make a joke about "gamer hell is other gamers" but then I realized that was literally true.

If you quit a game in the first dungeon, it loads Dota 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My copy of Prey should be coming in from Gamefly today, people said the demo was bad but people actually playing the full game say it's good?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Best whips in video games:

1. Ivy's weapon in Soulcalibur
2. Threaded Cane, Bloodborne
3. Vampire Killer, Castlevania
4. Catwoman's whip, Arkham City

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They should have gone with one of the Gnostic readings and have Jesus as one of the horsemen

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Brad from gb says the ps4 input lag in prey does not feel fixed after patch, but he is also a legendary bad quick look guy who so far in this video has just hit robots with a wrench for 10 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHlvQcozDAA&t=119s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cajun Fries at Five Guys have some of the best seasoning you can get on a fast food french fry.

Their burgers are good but nothing special, the ingredient choices are solid

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, a Big Mac being cheap hasn't been a thing since Obama took office and now they're even phasing out the dollar menu. I only go to McDonalds a few times a year and it's ridonkulous that it's like 8 bucks for a sandwich combo meal and even basic cheeseburger is up to a dollar now. I could run into Publix and get a tray of freshly-made sushi for like five bucks and it would probably take less time than the drive-thru, y'all goofed up at some point.

It's especially silly watching The Founder (it was just OK but Ron Swanson as one of the McDonalds brothers was awesome) since the entire reason McDonalds even became a thing was because it was fast and cheap and now neither of those apply to it.

In the 2000s the public rhetoric around healthy food (e.g. Super Size Me, Fast Food Nation) pinched McDonald's, and also with the rise of fast casual they decided to chase after that market since that's where the alpha consumers were going or some poo poo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Name most chains and they're probably not in new jersey. it's a fun game, for people who dont live in new jersey

White Castle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I'm on the medua boss now and I still hate smt4. it's just not very good.

Weren't you playing Persona 5

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Spudnuts is real good.

I would take a fresh churro over most doughnuts though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am unable to watch E3 press these days without a bunch of people talking over and making fun of it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If Nintendo announces they are doing a bunch of additional Wii U ports for the Switch I will buy one immediately

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does Carl's Jr. still have the Six Dollar Burger? I remember back when it came out it was supposed to be a play on the idea that six dollars was a lot to spend on a burger and you were getting that level of quality without spending as much. At this point I assume just with inflation that their normal burgers are probably six dollars or more

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

psychoJ posted:

burgers are good but not good for you

a psychoJ Health Post™

What about a veggie burger?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Uh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

what exactly is Ark Survival Evolved/why is it near the top of the EU PS4 sales charts every month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Aq-gm3An0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Should I buy a video game fanart T-shirt?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/barfchan/status/859489068165378048

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Prey is just BioShock fanfic, it is literally the same process that led to Fifty Shades of Grey if you think about it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I played Prey for six hours and have only stopped because the power went out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

With Prey I've had less of actual jumps (though those do happen) but more once you prepare yourself for the things that could make you jump, there's a low-lying tension that just keeps going. I think I'm going to have to stop a few hours before going to bed if I want to sleep normally

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Duck of Death posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFfg...ature=youtu.be

Look I get Extra Credits make their name off of analyzing things strictly from a game design philosophy perspective, They have done since their time at The Escapist, but despite their analysis here about the Blue Shell which may be 90% correct and what Nintendo intended, I really can't rationalize the Blue Shell's existence in my head in any other way other than the following.

Leave it to Nintendo to conceive an item that punishes the skillful and rewards the casual. That philosophy suits them to a tee, but for a game like Mario Kart 8, where if you're in first and have an intimate knowledge of the track you're on and its shortcuts, you will inevitably get so far ahead of the pack who are mauling each other behind you anyway that no amount of blue shells are gonna stop you. Slow you down, yes, but not stop you.

You could also debate the validity of EC's claim that the blue shell helps the person in last avoid a bad experience and gets them back into the race. Does it really? Unless you were another poor schmuck who was in the top 3 and just got wrecked by items until you've fallen all the way back to last, which means you probably have the skills needed to get back into the race, no casual is going to drift boost or trick jump or shortcut their way back into it. Because they don't know or care how.

When it comes to getting a casual out of last and back into the race, the bullet bill does a far better job of this on its own. It is an automatic track, which unlike the gold mushroom or star the player isn't gonna fly off an edge into the abyss, it is very fast and demolishes any player it hits along the way. THAT'S FINE. If you're in last and get a BB, you're entitled to enjoy that moment, but when it comes to the blue shell, right now it feels like the only purpose it serves is to give someone trailing the pack the power to give 2nd thru 8th a piggyback and ruin 1st places day for daring to be good at the game that Nintendo built.

For myself this is a question of matchmaking and not item design. Why is a casual player who is hovering about 900-1000 skill points being matched with someone who has 4000+ in the first place? Of course there's gonna be a huge gap in that situation. So here we go again with Nintendo's incessant willful ignorance surrounding anything online gaming related and their refusal to learn how to design them better. Instead of a better matchmaking system, we get items that turn races into frustrating clusterfucks and basically 50% skill, 50% pure lottery.

https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/472345739025481728

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Every time I see a weird-rear end post I Google it and am usually unsurprised where it comes from

Edit: Prey, goddamn, I thought I was smart putting down a turret at a chokepoint and kiting enemies into its field of fire, and then after a couple died, another came from behind to flank it and knock it down! Then I went to look in the room where the mimic came from and found a hidden path connecting the two rooms so it really seems like a legitimate flank. Game is good

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 7, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

A lot of peoples' complaining about the balance and design of Mario Kart and Smash Bros seems to suggest that the very concept of playing a videogame with a few of your friends or your roomie or your partner or w/e for fun bc you're bored after dinner or want something to do while you have a couple beers and hang out is completely alien to them, like the idea itself has never even crossed their mind

This is what makes the idea of competitive Smash all the more mind-boggling

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think there's an SS1 remaster coming out at some point, isn't there

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Don't date your teacher, what's wrong with you?

Now calling her over in the middle of the night to make you curry and give you special massages in a maid's costume, that's perfectly normal

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

Every time she calls me "Master" I'm all :yikes:

I actually can't decide who I want to romance in this one. Since Atlus hates gay people and I can't romance Yusuke :mad: I guess I'll romance the nerd girl (I haven't met her yet, I just don't like Ann in "that way" and Makoto is more like Brokoto to me, she's cool, and nerd girl is probably funny)

I wish the drunk reporter had better rewards for her s. link, because she's funny. My metagaming :(

Once you know the nerd girl's story it might be a bit too skeevy, even more than dating any of the adults.

I dated Makoto but for NG+ I will probably go with Haru

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

but you cant date a man cause thats JUST WRONG

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, Prey got me with the jump scare that is in like every game that has a jump scare. I even knew something was coming because it was set up so transparently and yet it still got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Doesn't "Wa" stand for evil? The inverse Bowser would be good

• Locked thread