Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I liked the tone and atmosphere of Wild Arms 3. I don't remember if I ever finished it, maybe I should check it out again

if you don't remember whether or not you finished wild arms 3, you probably did, because the third act is :weed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

To get Wakka's ultimate weapon you had to do something absurd like win 3 seasons in a row and I did it because I had no life when I was 17.

Nah, it was just "reset the Blitzball stats until what you want at the end of the season is the league prize." iirc only one of Wakka's ultimate weapon components was a ten-round Season prize and everything else was the three-round Championship prize.

Cowcaster posted:

the only thing i remember about brave fencer musashi is discovering on my own that if you blocked an attack and then tapped the big sword button you'd do this giant explosion counterattack

that was samurai legend musashi. brave fencer musashi was the one with bincho points and you had a special attack where you double jump and dive at the enemy, and the game plays this weird crow sfx
:goonsay:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

no i'm definitely thinking of brave fencer musashi. i goog'd it:

huh, how about that. i know there's a circle slash that was useful for the one part where you had to fight the invincible super zombies until morning, but i never used the counter.

corn in the bible posted:

Things in games aren't real

things in games aren't real but playing civ 5 and looking at the clock and being like "wait it was 10pm last time i looked how is it 2am now i only played a few hundred more turns" is very real

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tenzarin posted:

Which do you guys prefer shooter games with universal ammo or shooter games without universal ammo? Which has more tension? Universal ammo games lets you reload all your guns with the same ammo, In Deus Ex: Invisible War you could reload the rocket launcher with the same ammo that you used for your pistol.

it kinda depends, i usually prefer games with specialized ammo because i tend to like mid-range burst ars above anything else, but if i take a series of misses or get pinned down, i still have the pistol, shotgun, or single-shot rifle option rather than screwing myself because i favor an ammo-hungry weapon.

but if it's a game with inventory management, i'd much rather have universal ammo so i don't need to constantly tetris my loving backpack

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

I always try to go 100% nonlethal if games will let me and I usually end up having a terrible time because of it because it's either way harder or just plain unfun because the option was added as an afterthought.

Alpha Protocol was great for this as long as you weren't playing on Hard.

Jay Rust posted:

Presumably this is what happens when a kid who wasn't allowed to play Pokemon reaches adulthood.

i had some pretty bad hang-ups after reaching adulthood because my parents were a little too nuts about jesus so yeah it is

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 13, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
he finished let's play uncharted 4 like three months ago so i think he's still around

i didn't realize that lp exploded though? :confused:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
missile shield and punch shield

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

why? just play syndicate it's good

this, syndicate is a good game. like yeah it suffers from your regular asscreed problems of exploration bloat, weird narrative sequencing, and the ever-present modern day story where people shoot at each other while licensed music plays, but barring all that, it's a good time

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
unity has slow, clunky movement and combat; arno as a character is completely disengaging; the best missions are multiplayer but the interface sucked and nobody plays it anymore, and a lot of it is balanced around the assumption that you have high-level equipment; directly related to high-level equipment: a lot of the equipment is locked behind community challenges, and it takes something like an entire year to get everything, and only if your crew ranks first, otherwise it'll take 2+yrs just to not look like a loving street hobo getting one-shotted and doing plink damage to goddamn everything

also it reaches both its narrative and cinematic climax halfway through the game

syndicate has extremely snappy movement and combat--it adds the grappling gun, for one, which lets you climb to the top of a building almost instantly, and set up aerial assassinations anywhere in the entire game; the two main characters are great, if a little... overly-inspired by crappy british tv; the missions are actually fun and you can do them in almost any order (though this contributes to the game's narrative problems); equipment is only locked behind fun side activities (again, this is marred by doing things out of order, so you might start strong and unlock really cool poo poo, and then everything else is lackluster, to no fault of your own)

i liked it when it came out, but in retrospect, rear end:unit was a mistake

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snak posted:

I would barely consider HZD an rpg.

Well what about like stat growth as opposed to player ability? I consider games where you can overcome a skill cap by just overgrinding numbers to be an RPG more than I consider a game with choices or even a lot of dialogue to be an RPG.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Is it time for RPG definition discussion again :sigh:

buddy my magic tart just kicked in, im ready :420::420::420:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snak posted:

Yeah, and HZD isn't really like that. There aren't any stats, weapons can be modified, but are pretty nuch static values, and while there is a skill tree, there aren't really "builds" because you can easily fill it.

Oh well there you go, I was really just spitballing on account of not having played it that maybe it had numerical stats etc. I phrased it badly tbh, I shoulda said like "Does it have stat growth?"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

Teenagers with nostalgia, sheesh.

brah no laugh, when we were in boarding school my buddy got the ~10th anniversary~ ff4 retranslation patch and he was like

"dizz poo poo is now officially classic"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Feels weird to call Zelda an RPG but not God of War.

that's because god of war is a rhythm game, much like hatsune miku's playstation vita panic!!!, but with loving

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

but there hasn't been a good catch-all term for the rapidly emerging genre of "you control one dude and have some dialogue choices in third person."

adventure game? idk

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

you always knew madonna would be into some nasty poo poo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chumbler posted:

Robotnik is the only good Sonic character. Perhaps if he dies, the franchise will as well.

this explains why the comic died in the 90s, inside at least

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is a real title? And not a joke title? It sounds like an AssCreed game?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Chronicles:_The_Dark_Brotherhood

god i remember buying it in college and playing it in the middle of the night all "mass effect was pretty good so this should be--"

it remains the only game i've ever returned

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kewpuh posted:

eee serge boyo y'see yeh suffer from what we inna medical field calls retarted

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
suddenly i'm reminded of why i don't play civ 4 anymore, it's because all-or-nothing losing units in one attack is top level bullshit and i just threw 20 veteran units at a city with three unpromoted defenders who were a tech era behind and lost them all, and then i got attacked by eight units at a city with six defenders who were a tech era ahead and lost the city

also because unlike civ 5, the ai can spawn units for free, because how else does a 4-population city produce a ten-unit army in eight turns

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's ok not to like copropunk

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

I'm almost as surprised to find out Ubisoft is me-too-big with a western theme around the release of RDR2 as I am to find out Guy Mann is a vaping enthusiast because of course he is.

hey i mean i'm hardly an enthusiast but i like vaping my weed because it's like decarbing it for cooking except you also get to get hosed up, it's straight up having your cake and eating it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tap my mountain posted:

GUN was clunky poo poo that reused it's few areas constantly. It was only notable because it was a open world cowboy game in the time before RDR.

by far, the most disappointing thing about GUN is that if it has a modding community, you'll never, ever be able to find it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

Well, either that, or picking a different type of totalitarianism, I dunno. We'll see in a couple weeks I guess.

jimquisition ii: mao we're serious

FirstAidKite posted:

I wish FF9 had the damage cap removed because I feel like its battle system is hurt a lot by the damage cap since most good skills end up being the same due to hitting the cap

9 was, weirdly, the only game where the damage cap was actually ok because enemy HP was strictly balanced around the fact that you do 10000-1 damage per hit. The superboss had the most HP at ~67k. Late game bosses capped out at around 40k.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 17, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
tfw u listening to ur music library and some arranged yoko shimomura track you're not too familiar with comes on and you're like "this title is in latin... this is from kingdom hearts isn't it, nomura only lets the purest of dead languages touch his projects"

and it is

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

I hate our current clickbait reality where the formula is to take some dumbass statement nobody believes is true and attach a question mark to the end of it.

to be fair, it's just the bastard child of google ads and the old local tv news cycle

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
part of me agrees that a hidden or mandatory system scan is shady poo poo, but that part of me is still salty that blizzard locked my account because its mac os scanner couldn't communicate with hackintosh firmware, and games wouldn't launch unless it obtained your system info first

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i saw suikoden 2 on firesale on a band trip when i was 13 and i almost bought it but went with saga frontier 2 instead

three years later, i bought it from my friend after he gave it to our other friend as a birthday present for the same price. i played that poo poo on connectix vgs because we weren't allowed to have playstations (only computers)

this is my reminiscence of this song

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 18, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

The dog is your misguided belief that you live in a fair and rational world.

the dog is the singular binary decision that you make in your entire irl life

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

i didnt even know until right now that steam had voice chat

i didn't either and this is a good thing as far as i'm concerned

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

i mean it's basically borderlands 2 with less memery right

idk i thought destiny was some kind of bad mmo and the only similarity between it and bl2 is that you play as a shootgunsman

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

what do you think would be the best console to own for living in a hippie commune? serious question!

gamecube, you can entertain company by filling it with thermite that you stole from your construction job

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zootopia is my favorite marvel movie

these aren't the kinds of mutant powers i wanted

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember playing the Carmen Sandiego games that came with a reference book and to start the game you had to type in a word from a specific page

goldbox did this too except sometimes it would tell you to look for a word on a line and it was in a story exposition section

with that said, i distinctly remember the very last time i ever played carmen sandiego. it was mid-high interpol rank and every description given pointed to the culprit being carmen sandiego and then it wasn't despite that being the only information the game gave me

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 19, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

Golden Sun already exists.

if the entire game is in emojis, how is its script longer than war and peace

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

everyone is hermit arcana, nobody shows

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
probably the thing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

board gaming at least requires some semblance of face to face interaction with other human beings so definitely gamer
what if you exclusively co-op play gcn games that require the gba link

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If it involves wooden cubes or meeples, you're probably ok.
If it involves painted miniatures or cards, less so

i bought this last year it's p cool

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/185081/beast-master-tale

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

if you told me this was all the same person id believe you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20