Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Reposting because I'm a dumbass and didn't realize there's a new thread:

Motherboard just posted a neat article about NESticle and its author and other people who were involved along the way. Some parts of the story are more dramatic than I would expect.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/the-story-of-nesticle-the-ambitious-emulator-that-redefined-retro-gaming

Real hurthling! posted:

Started xenoblade on 3ds
The textures are so bad i dont think i can use the 3d because it shimmers so badly but drat the game plays great and starts strong

Never played the 3DS version but Xenoblade is one of my all-time favorite games ever. It only gets better. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Homer at the Bat is one of the greatest episodes of anything ever aired

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

And after 11.5 hours I finally completed Blood and its expansion packs. I had a wild time all around. The game is really goddamn great!

Now on to "Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils." Most likely the second game on my list that I will abandon out of frustration because I played the freeware version a long time ago and man it's hard.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Help Im Alive posted:

They both sound like kind of a bad way to spend eternity to be honest

Presumably the people in heaven are able to do other stuff because they're not busy spending an eternity trying to feed themselves

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

Witcher 3's major flaw is that there are only like two ambient conversations between NPCs per area and they repeat every time you walk by. Aye, so it were

in other news this game was first released in 2006 and made this joke:

Which is whatever but he went on and on with the Zero Wing dialog and the joke just kind of worn out its welcome :geno:

The other joke with this guy though is that he's a Dracula reference (he had all the staple moves as his Castlevania counterpart) but he was naked under his cape and when he opened it to shoot fireballs his junk was covered by a mosaic filter. That was pretty funny.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 3, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GLAAD trash bags posted:

I'm pretty sure Yoshis are also born with saddles?

Yoshis are hosed Up.

I always thought it was a shell, but considering they hatch wearing boots I don't know what to believe anymore!

Phantasium posted:

Neither one of you said the name of the game. :colbert:

Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils. A very anime Metroidvania.

There's also a free version floating around if you can find it. The Steam version has updated graphics and music and I think the key progression is a little different than I remember. I'm certainly getting a lot farther in it than I did when I tried playing the free version before like seven years ago.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

raditts posted:

Granted, nobody ever told Birdo that spitting eggs from one's mouth is not what female birds (bird-ish things? what the gently caress is a Birdo anyway?) do, but still.

Not that Birdo is a bird or anything but Kazooie can shoot eggs from her mouth and therefore it's a thing birds can do.

Snak posted:

I stand corrected.

I had some memory of even older art where birdo looked like an actual bird, but google seems to indicated that this is false.

You're thinking of this character: https://www.mariowiki.com/Ostro

quote:

In the cast roll of Super Mario Bros. 2, Ostro's and Birdo's names were switched, causing some confusion; this mistake was fixed in Super Mario Advance.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bunny Must Die is a hard game, but I'm starting to see that it would actually be easy if the controls weren't bad. Bunny's movements are just sluggish and don't feel responsive at all and that's not a good thing for a game like that.

Also it's bullshit when I accidentally pick up a weapon I don't want. I have the laser sword I don't want the stupid ball and chain thing god drat it!!

I might end up quitting it, but I think I'm getting close to finishing? I dunno.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grapplejack posted:

Save your dolls for Chelsea, just FYI.

I don't ever use them so good to know.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm not enjoying Bunny Must Die enough to bother continuing. Oh well.

On to a special game in my backlog list: Chasm: The Rift. It's special because it was one of the two games on my list that I had growing up before the age of Steam that I never did complete. I will do it this time :getin:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I made the right choice.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

it happened guys, im unemployed again

no switch or 3ds for me, still

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm glad Prey is good. It looked like a generic FEAR clone in the first trailer and I was worried rebooting the IP would turn out dull.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

(what is bowser anyways)

he's a koopa

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm currently playing through Dark Forces and I have Jedi Knight down in the 'J' section. I also just bought KotOR 1 and 2 and Shadows of the Empire from the GOG sale.

A ton of the games on my alphabetical backlog are inconsistently named so I won't have to play like seven Star Wars games in a row.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Control Volume posted:

I was looking into my backlog of games I own but never played and tried LA Noire this weekend and its not very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsKi5ZvB64U

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

poo poo rear end balls guys I bought the wrong Alan Wake package. I wanted the full franchise one with all the extra stuff. The American Nightmare expansion isn't on sale for some reason so I don't want to buy them individually.

What do I do :ohdear:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bad News Panda posted:

You could ask for a refund on it and buy the correct one?

I was afraid the sale would end and the game would disappear before the refund request was received. Thankfully they have refund categories for double-purchases so I'll just buy the whole package and get the original purchase put back into the ol' wallet.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought there was no rights issue with American Nightmare so they weren't discounting it / pulling it from sale.

I guess that explains why it's $11 but everything else is like $3.

CJacobs posted:

The sale starts tomorrow the 15th

Edit or is that when they're being removed? I do nyot remember

The sale is on now and ends in 35 hours when (presumably) the game vanishes forever.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

All games are RPGs (Roll-Playing Games). You play the role of someone or something.

In Tetris you play the role of the agent that moves the blocks around. Tetris is therefore an RPG.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Truckpump is wrong. In the Chex Quest game in which you play the role of Chex Man. Ergo a Role-Playing Game

(is that a screenshot from a game Lurdiak?)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm playing Alan Wake for the first time now. Up until now I thought Deadly Premonition was the only game adaptation of Twin Peaks.

Also there's Energizer batteries everywhere. Please tell me that Energizer wasn't the licensing deal that killed the game. You don't need to license battery brands of all things god drat it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Then you end up with the current situation Symphony of the Night is in. You can buy SOTN sure, but you can't buy a digital copy that has the OG ending theme anymore. That poo poo is gone.

Lmao are you saying this is a bad thing in this particular case?

Edit: i didn't even know I Am the Wind was a licensed song. I just assume it was killed because people correctly thought it was dumb and out of place

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 18, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never had any issues with GOG (Galaxy or service) at all except for one of my games being permanently hidden and a quick email to support fixed that in a jiffy.

Same for Steam, really. I remember Origin being bad in the past but now it's pretty good.

And then there's GFWL. There was a service that deserved to loving die and I'm glad it did. Good riddance, though I appreciate that time Age of Empires 3 was on sale for one cent back in like 2010.

GUI posted:

The XBLA version was definitely patched at some point. It originally had the song but was later changed sometime after release.

I had the game since pre-patch. can confirm.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I found a QR code in Alan Wake and it showed me this. what even is this game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

an actual dog posted:

lol that's great. if you didn't get it's a max payne joke

Oh yeah, I got it. the code wasn't even hidden anywhere, it was hiding in plain sight in a normal game area.

edit:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Stays as a bear and is a bear wearing a knight helmet and wielding a sword and being unambiguously good while in search of a way to revert his curse

She built up this big "world" around her characters without actually doing anything with it or writing out anything, which isn't exactly uncommon with people who try to get into writing without really knowing how to focus and narrow stuff down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L3DMJB8yGM

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

wait nintendo is participating in e3 again?

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kaYs8SbMs

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

One thing that's really bugging me about Alan Wake is that it sometimes rewards you for exploring and sometimes punishes you. It's irritating.

Someone recorded themselves saying this line in a Homestar Runner voice and it's great, but I can't seem to find it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Invictus posted:

I heartily recommend reading the last few pages of the speedrun thread if you want to be highly, highly entertained

Starting from here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429276&pagenumber=640&perpage=40#post472695553

:captainpop:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

Who's the funniest speedrunner?

whoever recorded this video that im always looking for excuses to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I beat Alan Wake and the "Special Features" DLCs

Folks make sure your plots can be self-contained just in case your sequel projects don't pan out!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

It has always disappointed me that Alan Wake ends with a cliffhanger, which is resolved in the DLCs... only to be ended with another cliffhanger, which is then resolved in American Nightmare... only to be ended with another another cliffhanger.

They kept pushin' their luck and it caught up with them :(

I'm only a few minutes into American Nightmare but it already seems a million times better than Alan Wake in almost every way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Picked up keys in American Nightmare and suddenly I'm off to the next map before I finished exploring the current one without any warning.

Games, don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't believe Lurdiak is using the games chat thread to get off

again

just let lurdiak do lurdiak

if you know what i mean

• Locked thread