Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have accepted that my Backlog wins and will still buy cheap games I have though about playing some time maybe. I have entire game series that I haven't touched but are on my shelf, frowning at me for my neglect.

I've now stopped buying games unless I want to start playing them immediately, even if it's a really good deal... I just have too many goddamn games in my backlog at this point and what appears to be diminishing time to play them.

Still playing Persona 4- did they kinda rebalance any of the bosses in P4G? Teddie's shadow was an HP sponge that, while not actually too difficult, took forever to go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In a stunning turn of events post-season-whateveryouthinkisthelastbestseason-The Simpsons continues to be bad

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

This is actually a perfect opportunity to hop on the "Simpsons was never good" bandwagon.

I wouldn't say that they were not good in the early seasons but I am more than willing to entertain the notion that it just kinda came out at the right time and there is a lot of nostalgia associated with it that influences people's opinions. I mean I haven't gone back and watched it in years.

I wonder how much longer it will go

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

The premiere ep of American Gods was amazing and one of the things I love is the way they updated the character of Technical Boy. The book came out in 2001 so he was a fat neckbeard in a trenchcoat modeled after the people Neil Gaiman saw at conventions, in the TV show he's a Polygon editor who vapes and has thugs that look Superhot baddies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIExWPy1XSw

Ahhhh drat finally not having cable is biting me in the rear end. I really wanna watch this.

Might do that "ahhhh what the hell this is nothing like I imagined it would be based on my read of the book!!!! Bullshit!" thing... but I like the concepts from the book enough to give it a shot for sure.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I could use some more free-flowing combat like in DMC (the good ones)/Bayonetta and am almost kinda sick of the really deliberate and constrained Souls-combat ATM. I wanna knock something into the air, follow it up there, smack it away, and then shoot something at it. Why can't that become a Hot Gaming Trend

Maybe it's my fault for plaing so much Dark/Demon's Souls/Bloodborne though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Growing up I was told a Vietnamese parable: hell is a bunch of horny people in a circle who are unable to cum because their arms are too long to reach their genitals, while heaven is the same only everyone is satisfied because they j/o each other.

e:

Q: In both heaven and hell people are circled around model train sets; what is the difference?

A: ?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bioshock Infinite... story was overhyped initially as "like whoa man deep it really makes you think" by games journos but what mattered more was that the gameplay was a step backwards in complexity from Bioshock 2 and even 1

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I did like the setting.

Also the intro to the game where you're walking around the fair before any fighting starts tricked me into thinking it might be good

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

From YCS, a very long time ago:

I would appreciate a videogame based on the music video of holy diver where RJD wanders around the ruins of an old church with a sword or whatever. That Sega CD Make My Video game but it's Holy Diver. "yeah I'll put the shot of the dude in the red robes with the weird animated lizard eyes right after the dude turning into rats; hell yeah"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I played New Vegas first and then tried to go back to FO3 years after I played New Vegas, which was a mistake

My first partner character died from walking off of a cliff

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Urrrgghhh if Persona 4 wasn't so good I would have uninstalled it the second time some random enemy pulled some bullshit out of its rear end and murdered the protag in one round and erased like an hour of progress

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah it's not a full solution, but P4G did implement some changes to this. On Normal and I think Hard you restart a floor when you get a game over, Easy lets you restart whatever fight you died in, and I think only Very Hard forces you to reload your last save.

Ah, that sounds like a nice little QOL improvement. As is I guess I'll just exit and save a every couple of floors or something. Kinda like swapping out characters anyways to keep everyone around the same level and spread the SP usage load around a little and keep the party going for longer before everyone's just tapped out for the day. Transferring that Reinvigorate skill that recovers SP every round to a Persona worth a drat helps out a little; seems like the Protagonist is always forced to do the most in terms of SP usage.

You don't get "tired" in this game like in Persona 3 but it kind of doesn't matter since you'll eventually run out of SP anyways unless you're fighting things you can just stomp into the ground with physical attacks and if you're strong enough to do that there's usually not much point in really doing it.

I do kinda wish the dungeoneering was a little more broken-up; seems like if you really wanna be ~efficient~ you have to get as far as you can and just totally exhaust all your SP before you peace out which can take a while.

I've started listening to podcasts while doing dungeonstuff; I couldn't take it anymore

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know how far you are yet but leveling up Hermit makes it such that you can stay in a dungeon perpetually. Even at level 1 (required prior to the bathouse I believe) you can do so, it's just rather expensive and might be a net negative if you're not making it up to close to the boss.

Ah yeah it's at level 4 or something now and still seems like a net negative.... I like the little sidequests associated with it though so I'm going through it.

RE: Overlong Dungeoneering- I don't dislike the dungeons I guess but I kind of dread doing them because I know I'll be doing only that for a few hours of gameplay. The mixture of gameplay types is what makes P4 compelling; don't lock me into doing one thing for so long.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Healbot posted:

I'm saying it's not anime because I like it.

It's too late; The Anime is under your skin now

While we're on the subject of regretful game purchases and Anime- Star Ocean: End of Time was the first and last Star Ocean game I tried playing. I made it like 4 or 5 hours in and decided I hated it and stopped. Not too many games I can remember where I just went "haaaa, nope" and this was back in the day when I had no money and more time than I knew what to do with.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I guess a lot of my regrets come from the days when I would grab stuff off of the shelves of used game stores if it was cheap and looked vaguely interesting without doing any research or knowing about the game at all

Nowadays I watch some gameplay videos to get an idea of what the game is all about and that's served me well.

Another unlucky pick from back in the day- Gladius. I found it to be just mercilessly boring and only played a few hours of it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Star Ocean 5 is the most hilariously low budget trying to pretend it's not games I've ever played. It's basically a season 1 episode of The Next Generation. And not one of the good ones like when Picard eats some maggots.

I would play a Star Trek: The Next Generation RPG

Bonus points if they can work the Calm Boardroom Discussions in as a gameplay element of one sort or another

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

Smt4 sucks, gently caress this game

They still haven't figured out how to not front-load the difficulty in Megami Tensei games I guess.

Had the same issue in P4 with the first dungeon and that game is from like 2008

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat gonna have to find a Switch sometime in the next month before Spla2n comes out

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

It runs worse than the PS2 version would with a lot of unnecessary hoops to jump through to even get to that point so I'm just going to pick up a console copy.

If you haven't played it before it's definitely worth tracking down; a classic of the genre. Y'know whatever that... technical beat'em-up whatchacallit. People seem to frown on the "Character Action" descriptor now but like cmon you know what it is. make sure whatever version you play is the Special Edition with Vergil playable; it's neat.

On a trip right now so I've been separated from my precious Persona 4 and am giving SMT4 a shot since I bought it a long time ago and never played it. The stories are true; the game just unrelentingly boots you in your gender-respetive sensitive organs right outta the goddamn gate. poo poo.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Extremely busy on trip so I didn't really get a chance to play SMT4 at all except for a bit on the flight back- feel like I'm getting the hang of it but you still just kinda randomly get wiped every once in a while. It's amazing how quickly things can just go off the loving rails and you get wiped out. At least the game doesn't end if the protag dies.... They just make no effort whatsoever to ease you into the game- first dungeon is calibrated for someone who already knows what they're doing in the game it feels like.

I... I won't play on Easy! I won't do it!!

Coming from Persona 4 this game feels much more austere and lacking in personality. Talking to the demons is goofy and fun, though. They're capricious, flighty assholes who will steal all your stuff but I appreciate the effort to give them a little personality in the dialogue. One minute you're talking to some violent Scottish blood ghost who v much just wants to kill you and the next it's a weird Chinese bird with the head of a man that the localization team decided to make talk like an old guy for some reason

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Are you still in the first big dungeon? Things get much more interesting, story- and setting-wise, immediately after that. (Also, the game gets a lot easier.)

Yeah- guess I'll keep at it here. I'll come back to it later now that I'm home but I've drilled through some of the introductory bullshit at least

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean the pedigree of the people working on this makes me optimistic...

quote:

A toxic atmosphere of protectionism is taking hold.

Hmmmm

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I started playing Chrono Cross again and I still really like it, what's wrong with me?

More games need luchadors in them; I fully support your endeavor

Or talking voodoo scarecrows

or...

drat what a mess of wacky characters in that game- I love it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about Black Flag is the Pirate Sea Shanty iPod thing you can do when you're sailing around

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd have liked Black Flag better if it didn't have any of the AssCreed story bits in it, everything was the epitome of boring trailing dudes for hours crap that people got bored of two games ago and was way worse about it than any of the other ones I've played (all except 3). Doing piratey stuff almost made up for it but I never managed to finish the story.

Like if they just eliminated this from the game it would help a looooot

How was Syndicate on this front?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

i havent beaten it of course but so far i've never trailed a single person in ac syndicate, and thank god because those missions suuuuuuck

I might actually give it a shot sometime then- setting looks neat

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Asscreed1 was kinda boring and felt like a proof of concept in some ways but the actual assassination missions were pretty cool- the whole city chasing after you killed the target until you were able to shake 'em was cool.

Like I might dig just making those much, much more involved.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Maybe Far Cry 5 will be No Country for Old Men: The Video Game, only less good because the philosophizing will be broken up with raiding militia bases with a silenced sniper rifle

If it is also set in the 70's I would be sold

But could you like be a detective in the city instead

Could someone just make that Sabotage music video into a video game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

What about GUN, a game where you can scalp people, which I did constantly?

Or Red Dead Revolver, a game where you shoot up cartoon caricatures of general Classical US Westerns/Spaghetti Westerns and is also scored with real old spaghetti western music

I think the game was originally supposed to be about shooting monsters or some poo poo

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are other people getting "lofi chill" anime thumbnail recommendations or is that just because I've been listening to Nier and Persona

That and it's also been feeding me old Japanese pop albums from the 70's lately

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

They're real big, but squirrels, and usually fat off the neighbor's birdfeeder. Also, I took this picture because I literally cannot believe two of them crammed themselves in there at the same time.

Actually thought about getting an air rifle to pick them off with as they scale the trees to get to the house, yes

One time we were trying to get rid of chipmunks using these traps and a opossum crammed itself in there somehow

it fell to me to extract it and it mercifully did its "I'm Dead" act instead of trying to bite my fingers off or whatever

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Just get a huge cat.

Gonna need like a Maine Coon with an eyepatch that also smokes cheap cigars and has a checkered history with the law because of its innate issue with authority, man

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Even sweet cats can make good hunters.

Yeah, parents used to have this fat squat little cat with no front claws and it basically acted like a dog in terms of how much attention it wanted but turning it loose in the basement whenever someone saw a mouse down there revealed it was a bloodthirsty and efficient little furry murderer.

Walk down there 10 minutes after we put the cat down there and the cat is just casually laying around in front of the mouse which it has torn in half

Dunno how it would have done with Invictus's giant mutant attic squirrels, though...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Feeeel like I'm getting towards the end of Persona 4- just got through Heaven dungeon and fought the guy with an orbital gear thingy on his head.

drat it's been a while since I've played such a long game- maybe I don't want to jump into P5 right after this...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

What were they going for when they designed the rabbids

They're basically Minions

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sunning posted:

If leaks are correct, then this is supposed to be some sort XCOM/Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars type strategy game.

It's so weird that I'm intrigued at present I guess

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Call me when like Luigi discovers that he's a dark genetic experiment and starts cursing in the Space Cop voice or something

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Did they have a non-English speaker write that copy or something lol

Who was supposed to see that?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hey I mean it could work. We don't know a whole lot about the thing yet

Turtle Shelves? Not today Grandpa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

The Minions are perfectly fine as dumb cartoons for kids, the backlash is mostly about them being loving everywhere thanks to merchandising and weird aunts and grandmas inexplicably clinging to them as totems.

It's really helped weed out people on my Facebook feed though

Post a Minion and your online self is relegated to the digital Gehenna of "still technically FB friends but I don't want to see your like 10 stupid reposts of dumb memes you find on FB groups a day"

*if you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best but it's a Minion dressed up like Marilyn Monroe*

• Locked thread