Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This month's conversation prompt:

Video games: yea or nay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

90% of my gaming time is spent playing pre-2017 releases. All I own is a PC that's showing its age.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I juggle a bunch of games and thus never finish any of them

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In retrospect the :thejoke: emoji doesn't mean what it originally meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llE7wT1BKt8

Now it's used to mean "Yes, dummy, that was the point" instead of "This dumb thing I said was meant to be funny"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not to be all "well, actually", but actually, throwing prinnies doesn't count towards that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Disgaea games aren't very good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idgi

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like Souls games, how can they be anime?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It isn't anime because it's slow as gently caress

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It isn't anime because

Nooooo
:(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dark Souls doesn't have the "Anime" tag in Steam. Pretty sure that settles it

It does have the "Dark", "Fantasy" and "Dark Fantasy" tags, which is good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Macarius Wrench posted:

Well, any suggestions?

Never ask this about anime

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love video games, I want there to be more of them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Witcher 3's major flaw is that there are only like two ambient conversations between NPCs per area and they repeat every time you walk by. Aye, so it were

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 3, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's a cartoon world

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mario lore, no more

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I checked Wikipedia to see how Waluigi is related to the brothers, and apparently his reception as a character is "mixed"?? I thought he was beloved? Or is that just among goons?

quote:

"He [Waluigi] is seen as less than legitimate by Nintendo internally. His first appearances were in the sports games made by Camelot, who thrust the half-baked villain on the world. [...] He has yet to appear in a core Mario game, and also never appears in his brother Wario's titles, perhaps because Nintendo thinks he’s not good enough for them. Here's hoping this silly creation will continue to be relegated to the side projects where he belongs.[19]”
— GamesRadar

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is he a dragon or a dinosaur?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ken Levine: America's Bad Boy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe you guys know the same person, so the count is still at 2

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm feeling very listless today... Could someone recommend a video game, any video game, for me to play?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I looked at some videos of Flinthook, my initial opinion is that the visuals are really busy and it looks hard to play.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah just savestate before every jump, it's piss easy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Witcher 3 does a bit of "force you to choose between two things while having incomplete information", which is the cheapest way to make a player feel bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I must've missed that particular warning. I delivered her to her lover, then he died, and my quest log said I had been tricked? Okay

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Palpek posted:

If you haven't seen that it might be a trick then it's all on you. The writers being a bit more subtle than usual instead of bashing you on the head with 'watch out, paragon/renegade choice!' is not a flaw.

Sure. I guess I didn't hit the right flags that let Geralt call her out on anything.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Healbot posted:

Sounds just like real life to me.

Ehhhhhh I would hope not

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has anyone touched a physical game magazine recently? Have they changed much in the past fifteen years?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dollars to game length doesn't work on me because I hate padding and busywork, they act as a detriment to a game's Fun Factor. I'd rather have a sweet short package than something longer but full of uneventful traversal

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is a goongret "I'm sorry I got talked into buying this" or "I'm sorry I can't enjoy this as much as my goon friends"?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What games do amnesia well?

Planescape Torment and...?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It was a trick question, amnesia is never a good literary device

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

These certainly are examples of amnesia in games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Amnesia plot lines... are so forgettable!! :xd:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

At the beginning of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, your tutorial NPC tells you that vampires aren't actually allergic to garlic, and aren't actually repulsed by the cross! Those are just fairy tales, unlike this setting, which is about true-to-life vampires that suck blood and die to sunlight and silver

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I finished the first Dark Souls 3 DLC (and, unknowingly, a bit of the second DLC that I thought was a continuation of the first), and I liked it a lot! I don't know what the complaints about it might look like, aside that it's still just more Dark Souls?

I liked the new enemies: certain enemy types seemed to have some sort of tactical AI, and it was cool figuring it out. It's a snow level, of course, so it gets free points for looking amazing: even the rotten village full of pustules and screaming crow-men looked good. I guess the final boss is approaching parody at this point, by having three phases, but I beat them on my second try by selling out and summoning other players, no skin off my back.

Two bullshit moments do come to mind: walking across thin branches of a giant tree while being pelted with great arrows that explode, and those crow knight guys were a pain. Thankfully there's only like four of them.

So yeah, looking forward to playing the second DLC tonight or tomorrow!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that good? I bought the PS4 version because it was cheap and never touched it...

I didn't get super far in it, but it didn't really work for me. 90% of the text in what I played were information dumps, dry ones at that too. I dreaded talking to new NPCs for fear that they would share a few hundred words about their weird and wacky home planet, and little else. I wanted to roleplay as a pragmatic shitbag but it didn't really work. In the original Torment you often had the ability to lie if you were asked to promise something or asked a question about yourself and your goals, which didn't seem possible in this new one.

Also the combat is bad. And skill checks in conversation are luck-based to some extent so you'll have to promise yourself not to savescum. And I didn't like the aesthetics: there's some weird and fantastical architecture and the like but I also find it kind of ugly, but that's super subjective.

This is only after about two hours of gameplay though, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets better later.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

love

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Fast casual"? "Alpha consumers"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One problem some Shin Megami Tensei games have is that there's no way of knowing what an enemy is weak to or resistant to by looking at them alone, you always gotta trial-and-error it or just have the game tell you directly

• Locked thread