Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

I'm just pointing out that unlike movies or novels, video game protagonists have to win at some point because gameplay demands it.

...they do?

Sir have you played Pathologic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

No but its Wikipedia description makes it sound really loving cool

It's a game about failure, even when you succeed, and its creeping dread is incredibly compelling to me, even if playing the thing is a drat slog. There's a remake in the works, but I don't know if it'll work on playability at all, or if it should.

Horror isn't just jump scares and succeeding - and there's room for that in videogames. You have to keep going/doing things to progress the game, but those things don't have to be successes.

Another example: the big ol' warcrimes twist in Spec Ops: The Line. Not a very good one as it's a linear experience, but it's all over horror happening because you won't stop playing the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This has to be a troll, but I can't help but marvel at it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

So what's GotY 2017 so far

A House of Many Doors

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

gently caress yeah!

I almost did. I am still finishing a selfpaced online class. All I gotta do is not gently caress it up.

You can do it!

I'm doing an online class too and I'm almost through - a final and I'm free to worry about the fall semester :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

wait

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

This is a real title? And not a joke title? It sounds like an AssCreed game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Incredible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

For as popular as Isaac is, I'm surprised none of the other roguelikes made since then copied my favorite part of Isaac: absurd passive items that completely change the way you play. Gungeon is maybe the closest to that, but even still you mostly move/roll/shoot the same no matter what you get. Isaac isn't afraid of giving you weird-rear end poo poo that in certain combinations can let you completely break the game over your knee with bullets 50 times larger than your monitor can display.

Starward Rogue did that to an extent.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently Tyranny underperformed, which doesn't bode well for the current resurgence of isometric RPGs.

But...how many isometric rpgs are actually being made right now?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Well I guess it's more accurate to say that it's the end of the resurgence, since Torment: Tides of Numenera was the last big title from that initial crowdfunding push that gave us Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity and Shadowrun Returns and The Banner Saga. I know the guy who made XCOM has a strategy RPG he's developing right now and there's the sequel to PoE, but other than that it's up in the air.

True. I mean, the resurgence brought back a nice handful of massive games that you can lose hours to - and they also reminded the market why these things died in the first place: they're kinda tedious to play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I straight up think Pewdiepie would be a nobody if his looks were below average.

He looks like a generic white guy,??????

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

a cursed image

https://twitter.com/Bboy_Izilla/status/866626845059493888

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Some of the worst advice you can give a person.

It's actually really fun to read!

For the love of god don't watch the anime though, it's the slowest paced thing I've ever seen, which absolutely kills the material.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You guys ask casting questions as if Idris Elba isn't the correct answer to that question, no matter the roll

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/866997673412501506

damnit :sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Reading a murder mystery by Ngaio Marsh because I can't focus on games right now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah a lot of people hype up modern persona but truthfully they've always come across as kinda weaselly, mean-spirited games, worming their way out of difficult questions whenever possible. P3 wore it a lot better since it wasn't really about people having multiple sides to themselves or reforming society, it's just about people wanting to live, but P4 going 'everyone has hidden depths...' to the point of sanctifying mr. morooka five seconds after his death but then the fat girl is the world's worst human being because she's fat and wants to gently caress is terrible. adachi literally raped and murdered a woman and the game goes out of its way to at least give him motivation and some kind of justification, but hanako is just literally satan because, idk, yosuke isn't attracted to her and she's overbearing.

this isn't even a ~fatshaming~ thing, I don't really care that P4 made some lame fat jokes, it's just insane to see contrasted with everything else the game is trying to tell you it's about. it'd be like if P3 had a guy commit suicide and everyone stood around and applauded him for his brave decision.

Thank you for articulating some of my problems with the modern Persona games. I've never liked them, and I know part of this is due to their rampant popularity and the whole time management focus that I dislike, but even when I tried to give them proper goes, the stories never hooked me - and this is part of why it is.

The games always felt more...high-school-esque in demeanor along with everything else, and this is part of it. I'm... legitimately disappointed in them, as they're the flagship titles of Atlus at this point, and it's startlingly disappointing after their masterworks SMT 1-3 - along with frustrating that SMTIV went more Persona-esque.

/longtime-SMT fan griping

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

You're the light of this thread with your constant positive​ additude and general friendliness.

Seconding this.

FAK, I don't know what will help, but please, please try to take care of yourself.

My dumb sleeping advice: even when you can't sleep, it does help to lie in a dark quiet room and pretend you're sleeping. That lets the body rest, and can help even if you're running on not very much sleep. I use it when I have nights where I can only get four hours or so.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I recently had a dream about Hitman - I was in Sapienza, in the town section, and I found my target and was all "dude, you deserve to live. let's fake your death", and that's what we did, we faked his death and I woke up before I found out what happened after that.

I don't really remember why that particular target deserved to live, though.

Also I don't usually have game-related dreams - I bet this one was because I've been so mad about Squeenix lately that it just bled over into my dreams.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Heck. I've got a 25$ amazon gift card from a friend and I can either turn it into steambux and buy games, or I could scrape up an extra ten bucks and buy the last two volumes of the Ghost in the Shell manga...and I don't quite know what to do. The first GitS manga was really good, but buying Starcrawlers or Battle Brothers (if it goes on sale) could be fun....

I'd put a sigh here, but this is the best kind of problem tbh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

scrounge up a bit more than that and get this instead, there's one available for about 39 shipped new

https://www.amazon.com/Nausica%C3%A4-Valley-Wind-Box-Set/dp/1421550644

if you want good manga, it's kinda hard to beat one of the most iconic ones written and drawn by hayao miyazaki himself, with one of the best female protagonists in fiction

I already own it! It's exactly as good as advertised~

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i just got home after visiting my parents for memorial day weekend whatd i miss

Hell Girls has been removed from steam. Rip Huniepop 2.0

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

A quick Google search turned up the sale page that still seems to work, so I got to inflict it upon my friends.

You're...a good...friend.....?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I would never want big gaben to decide whether or not my friends are allowed to see the anime tiddies.

You are a good friend! :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

precision posted:

whats up lads and lasses

i started a new (day) job today. was told to my face multiple times "you are amazing at this" which i never once heard in years at my old job

:unsmith:

Hey, cool! Congratulations!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

it sounds like all the ff14 thread posters got riker as their avatar, and if they try to change it, it goes back to riker in a few minutes

I'm glad I don't post in there, then, I like what I have, and I haven't had it for very long yet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, but sometimes if an avatar seems agressive, and can influence perception of the tone of an otherwise neutral post.

Not to mention if there's really, really bad red text on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's you guys, twitter, tumblr, or discord. And this is the only place that really loves to talk games, outside of Discord - but Discord's more of a case of finding niche chatrooms than general chill places to talk about anything.

• Locked thread