Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh, NBA Playgrounds comes out May 9. I'm hoping it has some of the Jam magic and is not just a cheap cash-in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIeXzgUa-go

It kinda looks like something that should've come out a generation or two ago, but that wouldn't matter if the gameplay resembles NBA Jam / Street.
Have there been any basketball games that rely on skill-based movements to do monster jams? Like a fighting game but basketball is what I'm trying to say. Because if not somebody should do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lakbay posted:

Does everyone focus on one game at a time, juggle a bunch of games at once, or buy games but just go back to dota 2/overwatch/rocket league/etc

I focus on one game at a time

Usually one game, maybe two if there's something really good out that I want to play right away, which is why I have a backlog of games currently extending to things I bought on sale literal years ago and probably sell for the sales prices by default now.

I played a little bit of Dragon Quest 6 last night, so I guess that's going to be my next game now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

The Dark Souls of FMV games

Or, is Dark Souls the A Fork In The Tale of action RPGs?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

It isn't anime because it's slow as gently caress

If anything, that makes it more anime

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 2, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm just glad that we finally have a game with levels of greybrown not seen since the PS3 launch lineup

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wamdoodle posted:

So what are the 8 layers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FKTUGBxyTw&t=590s

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Colonel posted:

playing condemned and fear is making me miss no one lives forever. i kind of think both the nolf games play like complete rear end, but i really appreciate that the writing in them was actually really fun and goofy in a way that made me ok with just listening to guard chatter, while playing fear just makes me wonder when the big scripted scenes will end so i can get back to flying kicking super soldiers, and the ending of condemned was just really loving stupid and lame.

I haven't played either of the NOLF games in like 15 years but NOLF1 had some of the most fun multiplayer I've ever played.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wasn't the story with Yoshis originally that they were "trapped inside the eggs" by Bowser?

Has that been swept out of the lore along with "Bowser turned the people of the Mushroom Kingdom into bricks and pipes"?
Not that that explains baby Yoshis either way.

corn in the bible posted:

Yoshi and his boyfriend Birdo are a loving couple who enjoy golf, tennis, soccer, and parties

Why are you misgendering Birdo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GLAAD trash bags posted:

What about toad's mushroom head, is it a hat or part of his body?

I would say it's part of his head since Toadette's head has little mushroom cap pigtails, and, y'know, they're mushroom people, but I guess it depends on if you accept the Super Mario Bros Super Show as canon.

I don't think you should. It looks... wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snak posted:

If I recall correctly, Birdo wa originally a crossdressing male, but not trans.

Granted, nobody ever told Birdo that spitting eggs from one's mouth is not what female birds (bird-ish things? what the gently caress is a Birdo anyway?) do, but still.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 3, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I said come in! posted:

The first Nintendo transgender character.

Probably the first transgender videogame character.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

haveblue posted:

So why did "birdetta" never take off

Should have been an alternate skin in the Wii U Bayonetta tbh

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Harrow posted:

Bioshock Infinite's story is bad and I'm glad that's an opinion I can express now without everyone talking about how brilliant it is and I must have just not understood it.

(I probably have a harsher opinion of it than is reasonable because I really liked its setting and aesthetics but the total lack of exploration and the up-its-own-rear end story just killed the whole thing for me.)

Infinite's story I felt was somewhat defensible when it first came out, but then they did Burial At Sea which confirmed everyone's criticisms on top of being way worse than the base game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

"Hey, what if a bunch of libertarian assholes tried to make their own underwater city free of the ~parasites~ goes about as well as you expect."

Also, meta-commentary about predestination and the illusion of choice in video games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah did the like three whole choices you had to make in the game actually matter at all? Also lol at the first being, 'throw baseball at black guy or not'.

I think they cause cosmetic changes on the player character and/or Elizabeth? The only one I can think of is that if you let the one guy stick a knife through your hand then your hand is bandaged up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KingSlime posted:

What's the scoop on Flinthook?

Is it the next Spelunky or Nuclear Throne, or should I save my money and beat the games I already own (*cough*persona 5)?

It looks cool but I feel like I'm gonna see it in a Humble Bundle / Monthly within a year.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There has been a lot of retconning in the Mario lore, I learned in the past week that the Koopalings (Iggy, Wendy, etc.) are no longer considered Bowser's legitimate children because of the existence of Bowser Jr.

I just interpret that as Bowser being such an evil prick that was so angry at his kids' failure to kill Mario that he disowned them.

Cowcaster posted:

it was just the other day i realized that one of the koopa kids being named "morton koopa jr." implied that bowser's first name is morton

Ah, but James Bond is James Bond Jr.'s uncle.
You can draw the same conclusions as to what that implies happened between James Bond and his brother's wife, with Bowser and whatever unseen siblings he has.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 3, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I liked the Crystal Chronicles ds game even if it was flawed, I would like a sequel but not a dull singleplayer thing and hopefully better than the Final Fantasy monster hunter ripoff on 3ds.

The Crystal Chronicles DS game did have a sequel, with online multiplayer even. It was the one that had that hilariously clunky Wii version that was the same as the DS version but you had to push a button to swap between the top and bottom screens. IIRC it did have crossplay though which was pretty cool.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Cajun Fries at Five Guys have some of the best seasoning you can get on a fast food french fry.

Their burgers are good but nothing special, the ingredient choices are solid

The burgers were worth it like 10 years ago when they still only a DMV area chain and the burgs were $3 cheaper. Not so much anymore. The best burgers near me are at a small local diner where I can get a burg, fries, pickle, and soup for cheaper than a FG greaseball.
The fries though... you order a large and they just put a cup inside a paper bag and then fill the goddamn bag with fries. Not even sure why they bother with the cup. They take second place next to Boardwalk Fries for me.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 6, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

One gets respect and creators can make a serious living off of it.

...which one

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The most successful movies in the world these days are fanfiction unless you're somehow going to pretend like different writers/artists creating their own interpretation of characters wildly different from the originals isn't fanfiction because a major company purchased the IP and said they could.

pretty sure you can draw the line of "fan fiction" at "officially sanctioned canon" but what do I know

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Andrast posted:

When the official thing can just be some company that bought the rights to the IP without any other relation to the original author(s), I don't really see the difference

Doctor Spaceman cites some pretty good examples, but then, under that definition, isn't any popular series/franchise that is more than a few years old and not completely written by the original authors going to be more "fanfiction" than not? I mean, that would mean that like 75% of James Bond and almost every popular long running comic book series is fan fiction. Many of them were likely literally taken over by people who were fans of previous iterations, but if you don't draw a line at canon then the definition becomes absurdly unwieldy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Spoderman posted:

After Don Quixote was written, a fanfic sequel came out and Cervantes caught wind of it. He then wrote a real sequel where a major plot involves Don Quixote going around saying "yeah, that wasn't me, there's some impostor going around. Also, he's way less funny and nuanced than I am." And then Don Quixote dies at the end and the author explicitly says it's so that nobody can make any more bad fanfic.

I assume the difference then is having the original / current author's blessing given to the next person to take over writing duties. Like, if they finish the Game Of Thrones TV series and GRRM dies before he finishes the books, is the tv series fan fiction or nah

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oddium posted:

who's guts

the cyberdemon

because he's huge, and therefore must have huge guts

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I've seen that! That was a fun documentary.

Balance it out with the depressing loneliness of the people in Chasing Ghosts.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Scott Forstall posted:

anytime they want to port the MCC to windows, i'd be so happy

I played H1 back in the dorms and never played any of the others but Bungie can put together a shooter and it'd be nice to have it on pc. Destiny 2 is next on my radar now that Prey is out.

More like they were good at using the copy-paste tool.

Halo Reach was a solid game and the only one I really liked but the level design in halo 1 is loving atrocious.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I regretted finishing Bioshock Infinite and then the DLC.

I thought the ending of Infinite was kind of poo poo but I didn't hate the game for it.
The DLC, however, ensured that I would never play Bioshock Infinite again, and if there are any more Bioshock games I'll probably never play them either.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

mutata posted:

Try crouching and spinning around next to them.

That never worked for me :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The last game I bought physical was Shadow of Mordor because it was like half price on Amazon not long after it released. It was like 5-6 DVDs and took literal hours to install.

Lurdiak posted:

I saw one of the famous Super Best Friends on the metro in Montreal and we made eye contact and it was weird. Like I probably stared for a bit because it took me a second to place the incredibly familiar face, and he was probably like "Man I hope that's not a fan about to bother me".

Also weird was that he was wearing his own merchandise.

I honestly keep forgetting those guys are basically in my backyard, it's as weird as if I'd seen Pewdiepie on the bus.

Why would someone be wearing their own merchandise if they didn't want people to recognize them

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 10, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I never knew the Euro boxart for Megaman 1 was different. It's bad, but man, it's nowhere near US Boxart Megaman bad.

This all just reminds me of how hard Capcom hosed up by cancelling Megaman Universe. They could've had their own Mario Maker years before Mario Maker was a thing, but of course Capcom gon' Capcom.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Phantasium posted:

Megaman Universe always looked like poo poo and it was good they cancelled it.

The mistake was putting the Megaman and Megaman X remakes on PSP, the former of which already had a level builder (or at least not porting them elsewhere).

It was ugly from what they showed, yeah, but it was a solid concept, and if it were anyone but Capcom I'd say that maybe the final product would have looked better.

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow, I had totally forgotten yahtzee is a person that exists on this planet still.

Alas, his Micro Machines spokesman gimmick was washed away by the zeitgeist of Youtubers who made their fortunes from making funny faces and screaming.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently Uno on Xbox Live had a gay cruising subculture, which makes that old screenshot of a guy's kid getting banned from XBLA for jerking off during Uno have an entirely new dimension.

You'd think Uno Rush would be the preferred choice for that kind of thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In Training posted:

Considering there's been one bad Final Fantasy game made in the last 25 years, they're doing pretty drat good at SE on that front

Which one was the bad one :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MMF Freeway posted:

10 is low on the list for me but I liked it when it came out. Its one of the least fun games in the series to replay

It was pretty unfun for me the first time around, I looked up a faq for those sphere temple puzzles not because they were difficult, but because they were so mind-numbingly loving boring and I wanted to get through them as quickly as possible.

Still not as bad as 2 or 3 though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

These are just Steam numbers, but...

Hitman Absolution: Owners: 3,020,229 ± 50,168
Hitman: Owners: 631,227 ± 23,003

Yeah...

Yikes. If you liked Hitman enough to buy Absolution, why wouldn't you buy Hitman '16?? Absolution couldn't have turned that many people off the franchise...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In Training posted:

Wild Arms 1 is a pretty rad, if easy, JRPG.

I never finished Wild Arms 1 because it runs into Dragon Warrior 2 Syndrome about halfway through, in that the game gives you a boat and no clue as to what the gently caress to do next.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is Dungeons 2 a good game? I've never heard of it but it's apparently free on the Humble Store for the next couple days.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dungeons-2?linkID=&mcID=102:59136fd3f0c3603d6c654b70:ot:56e84adb733462ca89992301:1

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Contracts was worth it for The Meat King's Party alone.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Speaking of mid-00s TV gaming cruft, remember how MTV had a show that was basically just machinima music videos.

I remember Cinematech, which was on G4 (I think?) and was just a bunch of random clips of weird poo poo from Japanese games. I liked that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Harrow posted:

Anyone remember the weird pseudo-roguelike mode in Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring? I bought that game because it was a fighting game with FF characters but played the hell out of the weird tower dungeon crawl mode that I didn't expect to be there.

If you liked the dungeon crawl mode in Ehrgeiz, you'd love the ones in Tobal No. 1 and Tobal 2, since Ehrgeiz was a shittier version of those games reskinned with Final Fantasy characters.

• Locked thread