Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah ditching the store is definitely a good move. More than anything else when people point to MOBAs as being impenetrable it's because of poo poo like that. I also like the universal xp like you mentioned. I can gently caress with characters who seem like they should be "gankers" but if I don't get a bunch of kills it's not a huge deal.

Also there's a character that transforms back and forth from a human to a werewolf and it's not even his ult or anything it's just something he does which is real cool

iirc removing all the annoying parts of Mobas was pretty much the core design philosophy for Heroes of the Storm. Turns out you get a more chilled out game if you take out a bunch of systems that, by design, make players really angry at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bogart posted:

Can somebody explain the whole Fate/Stay Night series. As a fan of Persona and fake history, would I like it? All I know about it is some vague memory of the PM (pre-meme) era 4chan Unlimited Blade Works joke.

I read an LP of the original visual novel here years ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. But the premise is that every X number of years (I can't remember the exact timeframe) the holy grail appears, and seven magicians are given the opportunity to summon historical figures and fight to the last person standing. That person can then wish for anything from the holy grail. And that whole development studio (I'm not sure if they have one writer or several?) gets very anal about rules of magic and types of magic and so on, so the original story was mostly a lot of characters doing weird exploitations of the rules of the grail tournament for various ends. One of the story paths is also full of really gross sexual assult and abuse, which is where I decided to stop following the LP!

But yeah, I think the other games/stories in that franchise are about other grail tournaments of various kinds, or crossovers with other games that studio has made.

I don't know if I'd recommend it. It kinda swings between horror and action. If you can stomach some gross and tasteless sexual horror and really love stories built around rules lawyering fictional magic systems, give it a shot?

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 2, 2017

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I laughed at the bit in the Code Vein trailer where they are fighting a souls-esque 12 ft fall human enemy and it turns around and has a generic anime girl face. It's a way of rendering people that gets more and more jarring for me the more detail and 3d-depth is added to everything else in a game.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lakbay posted:

The enemies don't stagger in the trailer that was linked earlier (or really respond to being hit)

I also expect the reverse of Dark Souls ~lore~ and it will have lots of anime cutscenes with over exposition and melodrama

The premise seems very rote: some mysterious disaster ended the world and made a bunch of monsters, and now some of the survivors have to do some superpowers to kill the monsters.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Bioshock infinite was bad, and contributes to a long line of bad videogame narratives that try to make players feel bad for things the player character was railroaded into doing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

I thought the writing in PoE was boring and the gameplay was bad.

Yeah I played the first couple of hours of it and bounced off it really hard. The narrative felt more like it was driven by this bland-rear end fantasy world than by characters I could relate to, and as someone who has never played a CRPG the gameplay just felt very clunky and overly complicated. When you're making your character and when you meet some of the other party members you get to hear about a lot of really neat places in the game's setting, but when I opened the game map I discovered that I'd be spending the entire game in the green hills of fantasy Europe. At least the sequel is heading to the tropics.

I think a lot of the good press came from people who really loved CRPGs? I only bought it because I'd enjoyed the writing in KOTOR 2 and I'd heard good things about the writing in Obsidian's other games, but I couldn't get into the writing or the gameplay. Not to disparage it, it's clearly achieved what it set out to do and satisfied most of the people who bought it, but it ended up being a bit more niche than I thought it would be.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I stopped playing SMT4 after the lady in the black armour gets executed. It was a big emotional peak moment and I didn't have enough enthusiasm to play through the lull that comes after it because it felt like it'd already been 20 or 30 hours at that point and the fights were getting a little same-y. How far from the ending was I? Is that like halfway through the game?

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 5, 2017

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

trying to put together a list of games that will be at E3 for the thread on monday and it's like, wow there's not a whole lot.

Days Gone

I forgot this game was being made. It was pretty funny to see the announcement trailer and try and guess which of the 20 different overgrown post-apocalypse IPs it was, before finding out it's a new one.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The overwhelming success of fan art vs original art, especially sexy fan art, is just part of how modern society is a capitalist nightmare where people just want to consume their favorite brands in as many ways as possible.

The delineation between "canonical work" and "fan work" is a product of the capitalist nightmare too, though. Everything is still as derivative as it always has been, the only difference with capitalism is that you change the names of all the characters a little so you don't get sued.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I dunno which Illiad/Odyssey fanfic I like the most. It's either the Aeneid, the Greek campaign in Age of Mythology, or the one where Achilles and Patroclus work in a coffee shop together.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

raditts posted:

Doctor Spaceman cites some pretty good examples, but then, under that definition, isn't any popular series/franchise that is more than a few years old and not completely written by the original authors going to be more "fanfiction" than not? I mean, that would mean that like 75% of James Bond and almost every popular long running comic book series is fan fiction. Many of them were likely literally taken over by people who were fans of previous iterations, but if you don't draw a line at canon then the definition becomes absurdly unwieldy.

I think 'continuity' would be a more useful term when this stuff actually matters (ie Superhero comics, Star Wars things). Even then it breaks down to the point where it's absurd, though: a star wars book is 'canon', but it is such low status that if somebody's writing the screenplay for the next Star Wars movie and they want to contradict that book, they wouldn't think twice about it. What differentiates that book from fanfiction? Is it in continuity, or not?

James Bond is possibly an even worse example, given that there's a bunch of films that aren't in continuity with each other, and then there's another film that people think is "not canon" because a different studio made it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the matchmaking mario kart is balanced around is you turning to a couple of buddies and going "do you guys want to play some mario kart?" And you'll all be able to enjoy it even though one of you has never played it and another has put enough hours into it to have a weird angry meltdown about blue shells.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I read a review for Birthdays the Beginning and it sounded pretty interesting. Species need the right habitat to evolve, which requires managing a bunch of factors (temperature, humidity, etc), and those factors will shift when you make changes to the terrain. I guess it'd change based on what plants you have in an ecosystem too? But apparently there's enough depth there to make it pretty challenging to cultivate your little cube planet and reach the point where mammals and humans start appearing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I've seen that term bandied around recently and I have no idea who came up with it. Though as I understand it, the subgenre doesn't require carefully interwoven levels, it's more about the way a game's various systems interact with one another. I've seen STALKER and Far Cry 2 described as "immersive sims" for example.

The term might have originated with Warren Spector, since he worked on a lot of the early games with that style of gameplay (Deus Ex, System Shock) and he also taught game design for a while, so he would've had a reason to actually come up with a term for what he was doing. And yeah, as far as I understand it, it's a game design ethos that promotes simulating stuff to make a world feel more immersive to the player, both in fairly benign ways (you can flush toilets) and through different systems interacting with each other (if I can move objects and my game has enemies, I should be able to throw an object at an enemy).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Palpek posted:

Good news friend, Thermidor 1789: The Beginning is just around the corner.

When I read that post I did think to myself "wasn't that failed lobster game about the French Revolution?"

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Square got some mileage out of whatever island vacation they took around that time, with Chrono Cross, FFX, and the first world of Kingdom Hearts.

It's not outside the realm of possibility honestly, the lead director of Square, Hironobu Sakaguchi, did relocate the entire Spirits Within film team to an office in Hawaii because he wanted to live there.

Sakaguchi is cool though. In that longass polygon article on the history of FF7 there's a bit where he stops Tetsuo Nomura in a corridor to show off his brand new jacket with a big Sony logo on it, which was how Nomura found out that Square had ditched Nintendo to work with Sony.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Name some xbox 1 games that people still play and talk about that arn't remakes or sequels.

Jade Empire is one of the better bioware games imo, halo 1 and 2 were both good but that franchise has fallen off a cliff nowadays, I think the people who played phantom dust really liked it? Otherwise the only other game on the xbox I played was JSRF, which is good but it's a sequel. I could go for a jet set radio 3 though.

Are there any other xbox games worth mentioning?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

So is the new/old Fire Emblem worth a go.

I'm interested in it but I'm waiting for the reviews to come out. It's coming out in a couple of days so I figure they should be published pretty soon.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I don't know jack about computers, but is there a reason why Valve even needs to operate Steam as a client vs as an online store, when GOG doesn't require a client at all? Is it the download management and autoupdating stuff?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Life Is Strange feels suuuuuper manipulative to me in retrospect, it's like one of those stories that end with having to put a dog down

It's very much from the "spend 90% of the game telling the player to do something and then the last 10% telling them to feel bad for having done it" school of video game narratives, which I really didn't like about it. There's a lot of things I don't like about it honestly, but I think it's bad in a fun and interesting way and I think another game by the same devs could be equally interesting and maybe I'd like it more. I hope the new story and new cast idea is what they go with!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't follow western comic books so DC characters are especially a mystery to me since they don't have okay movies I could have watched either

I dunno if it's worth trying to understand DC comics considering its mostly really bad and they seem to just reboot it every couple of years anyway.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah if someone self - identifies as a gamer you've then gotta figure out if they have a burning hatred of feminism because there's a real demographic overlap there that I don't think applies nearly as much for board game fans.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

These are four characters of at least 800 named characters. Some may only show up for a panel, but there's hundreds that are recurring. The entire world of One Piece is interwoven so well, it doesn't always follow the Strawhats, it constantly updates on the state of the world as well, which helps in giving the series a much grander scope. It's worth noting that most of the biggest mysteries still have not been answered, like what Devil Fruits are, or what One Piece is, things introduced in the first chapter. But the focus is on the adventure, not the answers, so people don't mind not knowing until Oda's ready to tell us.

Yeah, the manga itself is a pretty fun action-adventure story, but the interconnectedness is what really elevates it. Like the fact that one character is given a backstory to justify why he dresses like a baby is just representative of the writing style, where Oda spends a lot of effort giving people motivations and tying the world together. The fact that he draws some really ugly people actually plays to his advantage, too, because his cast is so huge it becomes a good way to distinguish all of them. I eventually stopped reading it because I got bored, though, it's interesting but it just goes on and on and on.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I really hate that they just gave everyone really generic sci-fi guns, it's really jarring and really bland at the same time. Mario games have like, four or five different weapon-y upgrades that would all have been a lot more visually interesting.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I wonder how long that gatchapon 'buy 20 blind bags to collect the whole set' impulse has been with humans. It's fun to think about Romans obsessing over little clay gladiator figurines.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The most disappointing thing about that Far Cry 5 image is that they apparently don't have the tech to render body types other than the same generic Ken doll musculature. Why make a game about slaughtering rednecks and not include embarrassingly fat guys whose bulletproof vests look like corsets because of how much their girth strains them or super skinny tweakers with the armholes of their shirts down to their bellybuttons?

Yeah imo if you can only manage to create one male character model that is differentiated solely via clothing and hairstyle, maybe don't put six of them on the poster.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

tag youre fat posted:

What's Life is Strange like? It's 4.50 on the humble store and i feel like i'd like it but i'm not sure

Its goofy and not terribly long (I think a playthrough should take like, five hours or something? It's been a while), and even when it's bad it's bad in charming and interesting ways.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Still better at investigation than the cast of Persona 4

I liked that you hit a point in P4's story where the game just gives you a list of everyone in town and asks you to pick out the murderer, that's the kind of fun little touch that a different dev might have removed after 17 focus testers somehow got stuck on it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The first five seasons of Supernatural are legitimately good TV and it makes me sad that a lot of people who love similar shows like X-Files never really give it a chance because of the fanbase or the connotations of it being a CW show with two hunks as the leads.

I watched the first season and I remember enjoying the fact that every episode was essentially just a modern-style horror movie, but two hunks would kill the monster in the last act. The heroes live within this world of early 2000's and onward, low-budget horror. I think now it's about the apocalypse though? Is it still running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

japanese 7-11 is good, except for the bacon cheese fries that taste of fish and crab

american 7-11 is evil, except for the slurpees

I got food poisoning from a Swedish 7-11 once, but it was my own dang fault for buying something I knew they'd been keeping warm for like 12 hours.

• Locked thread