Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

I managed to get to sleep

I wish I hadn't :( Now I feel even worse than before.

How's everyone doing today

Is it the dreaded "nap stomach"?

I only get it from sleeping during the day, hence the name...

I don't know where you live, but it's glorious outside where I am. Maybe going for a walk will help you feel better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grapplejack posted:

They made it so blatant that now I have to hear about how this game is anti-american and MAGA god bless trump blah blah or how it's finally game developers stepping up to take down THE FASCIST TRUMPREICH / lol what if we just had a conversation with them guys???

It's rear end.

Lol I bet you voted for Trump

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
What's Life is Strange like? It's 4.50 on the humble store and i feel like i'd like it but i'm not sure

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

Is it the dreaded "nap stomach"?

I only get it from sleeping during the day, hence the name...

I don't know where you live, but it's glorious outside where I am. Maybe going for a walk will help you feel better?

Nah, it's not that. It's just that this is maybe the 4th time in a couple of weeks that I've been waking up from how bad the nightmares have gotten. KCB tells me that usually at worst I'll whimper in my sleep, but this has been full on uncontrollable shaking and crying and it's just getting ridiculous because I know I've been having these nightmares because of psychological trauma and I just want them to go away so I can get an ok sleep.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Mak0rz posted:

wait nintendo is participating in e3 again?

They never stopped

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

tag youre fat posted:

What's Life is Strange like? It's 4.50 on the humble store and i feel like i'd like it but i'm not sure

It's an episodic adventure game that's like My So-Called Life meets Twin Peaks. Buy if you like getting the feels and twee time traveling teens of indeterminate sexual preference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tag youre fat posted:

It's a Telltale-games style adventure game where you make decisions and follow a mostly-linear-with-some-flexibility plot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tag youre fat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnIODgqUHxw

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

tag youre fat posted:

It's like a Telltale adventure game where you play a teenage girl with time reversal abilities.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Lol I bet you voted for Trump

I voted for Clinton in the general and bernie in the primaries

exquisite tea posted:

It's an episodic adventure game that's like My So-Called Life meets Twin Peaks. Buy if you like getting the feels and twee time traveling teens of indeterminate sexual preference.

This is a pretty good summary of Life is Strange. I liked it overall, I'd suggest playing it if it sounds interesting to you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I managed to get to sleep

I wish I hadn't :( Now I feel even worse than before.

How's everyone doing today

Feeling a bit gassy, myself. Need to stop drinking so much coffee on an empty stomach.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I do not support the Pokémon anime's decision to make mimikyu evil :mad:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

tag youre fat posted:

Its goofy and not terribly long (I think a playthrough should take like, five hours or something? It's been a while), and even when it's bad it's bad in charming and interesting ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

an actual dog posted:

I do not support the Pokémon anime's decision to make mimikyu evil :mad:

Mimkyu kills people who try to look under its disguise. It has always been evil.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

I fully expect to be fighting the Bumby Clan who talk about their favorite presidential candidate Ronald Rump.

"gently caress rump, don paul 2020"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

:agreed:x1000 and also why everyone must agree that Life is Strange is the greatest video game ever made.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
sounds good to me, thanks chat thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

:agreed:x1000 and also why everyone must agree that Life is Strange is the greatest video game ever made.

it was a decade ahead of its time with the photorealistic CG, now every movie with a budget over 100+ million dollars is doing the same thing but looks worse

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wow Vanquish just starts, doesn't it :stare:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The plot is actually cobbled together from several sources (off the top of my head we've got: The Butterfly Effect, Donnie Darko, Twin Peaks, The Catcher in the Rye and probably a few more I'm forgetting). While that sounds like a huge mess it actually kind of works, the dialouge can be a bit cringe worthy at times and it's not perfect by any means but overall it's a pretty charming game with an interesting story and characters.

Speaking of which, what are the odds we'll get our first trailer for the sequel by E3?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 25, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Larryb posted:

The plot is actually cobbled together from several sources (off the top of my head we've got: The Butterfly Effect, Donnie Darko, Twin Peaks, The Catcher in the Rye and probably a few more I'm forgetting). While that sounds like a huge mess it actually kind of works, the dialouge can be a bit cringe worthy at times but overall it's a pretty charming game with an interesting story and characters.

Speaking of which, what are the odds we'll get our first trailer for the sequel by E3?

I think the presser they put out recently implied that they only just started working on it, so we most likely won't see anything this year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unlikely as Dontnod said they're finishing up their vampire game and wanted to just get out the announcement for Life is 2trange in advance of E3.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

One thing that's really bugging me about Alan Wake is that it sometimes rewards you for exploring and sometimes punishes you. It's irritating.

Someone recorded themselves saying this line in a Homestar Runner voice and it's great, but I can't seem to find it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I heartily recommend reading the last few pages of the speedrun thread if you want to be highly, highly entertained

Starting from here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429276&pagenumber=640&perpage=40#post472695553

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Personally I'm looking forward to playing FC5 and shooting all of the white people because the last 15 years of 'realistic' FPS' have been an assortment of not-white people.

e: I say this as a white people

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Unlikely as Dontnod said they're finishing up their vampire game and wanted to just get out the announcement for Life is 2trange in advance of E3.

That's what I figured. I am very curious to see how they switch things up in the sequel so they're not just rehashing the same plot only with a new cast of characters. Max was shy and insecure at the beginning so giving her the power to literally take back her every mistake worked with her character, but with a new protagonist they'd probably need to come up with something else (not exactly sure what that might be though).

Also while I'm fine with the concept of multiple endings returning I hope they put a bit more thought into them this time so they don't basically render the entire plot of the game pointless (well, one more than the other in a sense).

I mean think about it (spoilered just in case) If you choose to save Arcadia Bay you basically learn that your entire journey was pointless and everything would have been solved if you just did nothing at the beginning. Not to mention the fact that this Chloe dies in what's basically her weakest moment, not knowing anything about what happened or even if Max is still around. The only way you could have made things worse would be to have Max grab the gun and shoot Chole herself.

If you chose to save Chloe however, your home town is destroyed along with (presumably) most of it's inhabitants and your best friend/maybe lover now has to live with the fact you basically murdered her entire family.
Either way, there really is no happy ending to this game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 25, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Mimkyu kills people who try to look under its disguise. It has always been evil.

ITS JUST SHY

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Invictus posted:

I heartily recommend reading the last few pages of the speedrun thread if you want to be highly, highly entertained

Starting from here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429276&pagenumber=640&perpage=40#post472695553

:captainpop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, read the last few pages of that thread, because I posted my new world record vid for The Surge. Also the insane person I guess

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Someone tell me what this NASA they are talking about is because I don't think it's the guys who launch space shuttles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a speedrunning competition made by people who think games done quick is too "PC". It's about as classy as you'd expect. Also their hotel is full of roaches.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's an offshoot of Games Done Quick hosted by people who dislike that it has become more politically correct. 'Sterile' is how they describe it to avoid saying 'You can't say bad words and racist stuff and I wanna'

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Ironically it's a safe space for assholes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean I guess I get wanting a separate atmosphere where you can be more relaxed and therefore likely more vulgar, but come on that's so obviously not what they want and they're not fooling anyone

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember I tried playing Life is Strange once but when the photography teacher talking about Hitchcock right after that opening sequence that have had the man rolling in his grave I just couldn't get into it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 25, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Raxivace posted:

that have had the man to roll in his grave

I don't know what this means but it sounds like you didn't even get to the time powers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So they're like the fighting game community of the speedrun community.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, read the last few pages of that thread, because I posted my new world record vid for The Surge. Also the insane person I guess

I'm watching this and good stuff, as usual. How is The Surge? It came out then I haven't heard much of anything about it but I haven't actively looked for anything about it. Usually if a game is good I'll eventually hear about it somewhere in Games, like Prey. I went from it barely registering on my radar to instant buy after seeing people gushing about it. Was not disappointed either.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

haveblue posted:

I don't know what this means but it sounds like you didn't even get to the time powers
Nah I got to the time powers. I played about an hour of the game total and didn't really get into it.

That was bad typo on my part, but the opening of Life is Strange has the main character looking at this lighthouse, and it's very clear from the visuals alone that this is where the game wants you to go. They start throwing these unnecessary lines from the character into this scene though, something redundant like "HMM I SHOULD GO TO THIS LIGHTHOUSE I THINK". When they throw in the Hitchcock reference in the scene right after, when the guy's entire aesthetic philosophy revolved around removing unnecessary dialogue and letting visuals speak for themselves to the point he gave a famous book length interview about this it just made the opening of the game rub me the wrong way and kind of soured me on it right from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

So they're like the fighting game community of the speedrun community.

The FGC is very welcoming and nice

• Locked thread