Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Really Pants posted:

"hug" is only three letters :confused:

kill is four tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Until yesterday after finding one at a yard sale, I never knew these were a real thing and not just a creepy movie/toy/game prop. Turns out they were a toy in the 1950's.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know, isn't it great? I love it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wizard on a water slide posted:

they're actually cursed irl too, good luck goon

it's okay I've already worn out all the curses on me for this lifetime, he missed the boat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Looper posted:

I still can't believe someone designed this and someone else okayed it
Lawn Darts.

super soakers used to look like actual guns.

the 50s-70s were a...different time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In this current day and age, that's no longer acceptable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Mann posted:

Someone made a doohickey that lets you upload a ROM for A Link to the Past and randomizes the location of all the items except for small keys. It's theoretically possible to get an incompleteable game but is apparently surprisingly workable for someone familiar with the game.

Maybe not much use outside of a curiosity but I think it's cool.
Yep, there's been a significantly sized race tournament going on using it for a little while now, up to nearly 170 matches. It's quite good for watching, especially since the commentators are usually fantastic at pointing out aspects of it. I recommend watching them at 1.25 or 1.5 speed, you lose nothing and most of the commentators talk so slowly that they're not even talking at motormouth speeds at 1.5 speed, it reduces the runs to about an hour or 45 minutes usually which helps a lot in not burning out on them.

I can link a bunch of the races I've watched(so far) that are really good if you'd like. There's a few that are just incredible, including one where a dude straight up just catches up to his opponent in tiny increments over the course of the last half of the run and overtakes him in the final ascent towards Ganon, winning only like 15 seconds ahead of his opponent in a nearly two hour race.

There's also plenty of races where someone gets completely poo poo on by their more skilled opponent and eventually has to be told to stop because they've been going for too long and won't finish for another few hours probably at the rate they're going, which is always a bummer both for them and to watch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My mom was monstrous at tetris and Dr mario. Never beat her at them back in the day. Dad's game of choice was snes star fox, he loved that loving thing, I think he even beat it which I was never able to do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

enter the gungeon is so cute and fun. it's like the binding of isaac, only good

precision posted:

i do not like the aesthetics of binding of isaac. it's me, i'm the guy who cares about things other than gameplay
binding of isaac has extremely good, tight gameplay with near-endless variety mixed with mechanics that intertwine in amazing ways, a shocking amount of depth(both literally and figuratively), a depressing and sad story, and comically grotesque visuals

enter the gungeon has very crisp, lively visuals and gameplay that falls apart after like five hours and is terribly balanced, with lots of guns being outright useless and enemies often wind up being bullet sponges unless you find one of a handful of guns that just obliterate everything

apparently isaac's aesthetic is originally based on the really hosed up jesus-crazy upbringing edmund mcmillen had to live through.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't say I'm surprised. Religious zealots are very frightening people.

Also, did someone briefly change your avatar
There's a dude in the fanart thread who occasionally changes it to a furby. Probably as revenge for me posting undertale fanart.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phantasium posted:

not enough hiding in bushes

edit: gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anything interesting happen in the last few days that wasn't political hilarity, I've been out of the loop

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello Games Chat Thread, how is everyone doing today?
I've got a squirrel in my attic. Again.

He keeps getting all the bait out of the trap I keep setting without tripping it at all, he's basically the Jerry to my Tom, and has set up a nest above my bed area somewhere in the crawlspace, so I get to hear him occasionally scream because did you know squirrels like to scream? because they do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm sorry about your squirrel problem. I've had issues like that in the past, not with squirrels but I remember there being raccoons in the attic when I was younger and we had to get an animal control person to get them out. I don't suppose that's an option for you with the squirrel, is it?
Nah, I just catch and kill them, I've gotten rid of at least 40 of them over the years. Doesn't matter how many I kill or how often we fix the entry points, they just find or make a new way in. Not even fox urine deterrent stops these ones, and they grow up to five pounds and a foot long. They're also not afraid of people. This one is the first in a while to give me so much trouble though. I bought an owl mimic that moved and hooted, and they tore it's head off. They're kind of horrible, adorable (adhorrible?) little bastards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Help Im Alive posted:

Is having to kill dozens of squirrels a standard thing in the US

Some people get mice. Some people get rats, or roaches. Unfortunately, I get squirrels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

haveblue posted:

Are you sure those are squirrels? 1 foot and 5 pounds is the size of a small cat.

They're real big, but squirrels, and usually fat off the neighbor's birdfeeder. Also, I took this picture because I literally cannot believe two of them crammed themselves in there at the same time.

Cowcaster posted:

really it would be more standard if instead of traps and chemicals and whatnot he just bought himself a high powered shotgun and started blasting holes in his attic like elmer fudd
Actually thought about getting an air rifle to pick them off with as they scale the trees to get to the house, yes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurdiak posted:

Those enormous squirrels are cute.
That's the worst part. I love rodents, but they managed to chew through a wooden storage crate and destroyed my mom's wedding dress and made her cry, among other things, so they shall all be purged

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Attic cat. Cattic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Then I'll have to buy snake-stomping gorillas to get rid of the snakes. Then gorilla-eating elephants to deal with the gorillas! And then what?!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's videos of what happens when you put a june bug in a hamster cage(hamsters eat beetles in the wild sometimes and june bugs are a healthy snack for a pet hamster).

Turns out hamsters can instantly switch into prowling predator mode too. It's great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ometeotl posted:

Apropos of nothing, guinea pis are cute little potatoes.

About as smart as one, too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll ask here too in the offchance someone here might know(and it's a much livelier thread than one in SHSC)

my printer arbitrarily started doing this today:

(addresses and poo poo blanked out with green blocks)

It does this, consistently, even after replacing cartridges, for everything, when set to grayscale. When set to color, it prints a solid black sheet of ink-soaked paper. No settings have been changed, no hardware has been hosed with, and it was printing perfectly fine two days ago. What causes this? It doesn't seem to be hardware fuckery since it prints the actual label just fine, except black/magenta/yellow/cyan stripes inverted to what the printout is supposed to be. I don't want to print any more test sheets as, you can likely see, it wastes a SHITLOAD of ink.

Any help would be appreciated, I gotta ship a bunch of stuff today and this cannot continue.

edit: the printer is an Epson XP-320.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 20, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I just said gently caress it and pulled the backup printer out, an old Epson stylus photo 820. It has never failed to work, but the ink used to be impossible to come by so I stopped using it. Seems like there is now multiple places that sell dirt cheap refills for it so gently caress those Epson 320s. A shame since I've still got a fair amount of ink for the 320s, oh well. Maybe I can sell the two broken ones for parts and include the ink to get a decent amount for them.

Edit: I wouldn't say all printers are cheap poo poo, but newer ones most definitely seem to be. Maybe they're going for manufactured obsolescence with newer models, the photo 820 is a tank.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spoderman posted:

Please get a laser printer
Got any recommendations?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spoderman posted:

Any laser printer made by Brother is good, just choose the one with the features you need and do some serious soul searching as to whether or not you need to print in color. If you need to print in color once a month or something, just go to Kinkos, you'll save money on toner/equipment and get a higher quality print than you could ever get with a home printer. If you need to print in photo quality color every day for your job, you may be stuck with an inkjet. Otherwise, get a laser printer.
ink cartridges for the photo 820 are 3 dollars each though for 250 pages worth of ink

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
video games are art

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

exquisite tea posted:

Removing the social stigma from video games as a loser hobby was a bad idea, in retrospect.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saint Freak posted:

'All people are terrible' is actually an important lesson to learn though.
whenever someone truth-is-in-the-middle's you, just link'em this little gem(warning, language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70A6zDv_wC0&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ciaphas posted:

I spent the afternoon and night binge watching season one of My Hero Academia instead of playing video games :negative:
Hey, not a bad show to watch, though the manga is better.

Can't remember if you've read one piece or not, but if not, you should get on that. Easily one of the most enjoyable manga out there, especially if you like to binge read (since there's nearly 900 chapters now) but also is currently in its strongest arc in at least a decade.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When was marineford, I feel like it was in 2007.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ometeotl posted:

Some of the worst advice you can give a person.
One piece is easily among the best manga out there and you're high af if you think otherwise, friend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't it like a billion chapters in and we still don't know what a one piece does yet.
The entire series is based around a single journey. They haven't even found the one piece yet, whatever it is. The world of one piece is incredibly vast and detailed in a way very few pieces of fiction are. Despite the utterly outlandish nature of everything in it, it just seems to plausible despite the absurdity.

A dude named super eyepatch wolf did a good breakdown of the appeal of one piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZqnC-eVwrE&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The White Dragon posted:

i mean i like one piece but sometimes it drags and i have to be high af to think it's a bad idea to not skip like half a dozen episodes

The White Dragon posted:

and i have to be high af to think it's a bad idea to not skip like half a dozen episodes

The White Dragon posted:

skip like half a dozen episodes
stop watching the anime, it's loving garbage full of filler and tries to adapt a 19-page chapter into an entire episode every week. The manga is the way to go. There's even a full color version of it if you don't like reading black and white comics/manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

okay so i just got to the part where the guy with the accent i can't place (the video linked by invictus about one piece)

tells me the heartbreaking backstory of a minor villain who dresses like a baby

and i guess my question is, is one piece like the japanese version of a Vertigo comic crossed with Ambush Bug (or, maybe much more accurately, Dave Sims' excellent Cerberus) or do people just wish it was and/or talk as if it is?
Almost every single major character is a culmination of a bunch of absurd descriptors put together that just works in the context of the world. Like that dude he mentions is literally a side fight in one arc. He's in maybe...3 chapters? And gets a fully fleshed out backstory. Oda makes some really good characters.

Franky is a shipwright cyborg powered by cola whose design was inspired by Ace Ventura, who doesn't believe in pants and gets extremely emotional towards touching backstories. He can breathe fire, shoot his fist like a grappling hook, and his personality is influenced by the flavor of soda you give him.

Tony Tony Chopper is a reindeer who accidentally ate the Human-Human fruit, making him a Reindeer-Human, which caused him to be exiled by his herd for being a freak. He was adopted by a lovely hobo doctor who lived in a tree and after a really loving tragic backstory decided to take up doctoring. He developed a medicine that lets him transform into a variety of different attack/defense forms, manipulating the devil fruit's ability.

Brooke is a gentlemanly skeleton swordsman musician with an afro who was killed along with his entire crew fifty years ago, but since he had eaten the Soul-Soul fruit, his soul came back to earth to come back to life a second time. He couldn't find his body in time though and it had turned into a skeleton by the time he did, so now he's a skeleton man instead of a normal man. He heals by drinking milk. He's also a big perv, but is gentlemanly about it.

Capone "Gang" Bege is a mafia boss who ate the Fortress-Fortress fruit, his entire body is a fortress. His whole pirate crew lives inside him and can launch or shoot out of him to attack like some kind of horrifying advent calendar. He values family very highly but is very ready to backstab any allies he may have in the name of treasure.

These are four characters of at least 800 named characters. Some may only show up for a panel, but there's hundreds that are recurring. The entire world of One Piece is interwoven so well, it doesn't always follow the Strawhats, it constantly updates on the state of the world as well, which helps in giving the series a much grander scope. It's worth noting that most of the biggest mysteries still have not been answered, like what Devil Fruits are, or what One Piece is, things introduced in the first chapter. But the focus is on the adventure, not the answers, so people don't mind not knowing until Oda's ready to tell us.

Also, Oda realized his series was really long so he put the entire series online to read for free because he understands some people can't afford 80+ volumes(but asks that you buy it if you can afford them), he's a really cool guy.

One Piece is good!

bloodychill posted:

I can't get past the Michael Jackson-meets-Pinocchio vibe the characters have going.
If you mean the artstyle, it can be jarring at first but grows on you. Also, there's multiple Actually Micheal Jacksons in One Piece.

precision posted:

bone is fuckin' amazing
If you don't have a full color hardcover edition you best step off son

It's so drat nice.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 23, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oddium posted:

one piece is good. just ask.... my wonderful new daughter who will probably love it !! :hai:
name her Minium

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tap my mountain posted:

Grats

It's gonna be weird when one piece is the old folks anime and all the kids are into some new edgy series

One Piece is 20 years old, grandpa.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I heartily recommend reading the last few pages of the speedrun thread if you want to be highly, highly entertained

Starting from here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429276&pagenumber=640&perpage=40#post472695553

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a speedrunning competition made by people who think games done quick is too "PC". It's about as classy as you'd expect. Also their hotel is full of roaches.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ha HA! autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Mann posted:

Sombeody posted this in the TVIV chat thread but it's so amazing I feel like it has a place here:

That's mortifying

• Locked thread