Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

According to the Chicago Tribune, though, the Bears actually asked Glennon to attend their draft party at Soldier Field and didn't tell him about their Trubisky plan, which just seems like 31 flavors of completely, utterly believable "lol bears."

Counterpoint: In what world do the Bears owe Glennon any goddamn loving thing. He's a stopgap QB on a contract which amounts to consecutive one year deals.

He's gonna get a year to show what he can do and prove he should be a starter. If he does then great, and you figure it out with him and Mitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Who the gently caress cares.

gently caress em. If he can't beat out a loving rookie then he doesn't deserve to start.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Yes but the mere fact there's a number 2 overall pick sitting behind him that they spent way too much capital to acquire is going to create artificial pressure on his performance. instead of going somewhere he can grow within system, the knives are going to come out for him the first time he stumbles

see Brees, Drew

except they came out better on the qb trade.

If Glennon can't handle that there is no way he had a chance to survive in Chicago anyway.

This was always going to be a one year thing.

His contract was structured from the jump in such a way that he could be jettisoned with the Bears only paying him 16 million for one year. He knew what he signed up for.

He was always gonna get one year to prove himself as worthwhile to get brought back to finish out the next 2 years of the contract.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Intruder posted:

Players are assets and not human beings

- A reasonable person

Shrug. Life sucks.

There is no super competitive position in the world where your job is safe. In those positions you ask to get paid what you are worth, which is what Glennon did. You then prove that you are the best option available while on the job.

I didn't say he's not a human. I get him feeling bad, I probably would too, but There are 32 positions open in the world for starting QB in the NFL. And he knows he signed a deal specifically based around the fact that he could be let go after a year, it's not like he got a long term commitment and then suddenly Trubisky was drafted.

The Bears aren't going to give someone they just signed the heads up about "Hey we are looking into drafting a QB top 3" because that's a great way to have poo poo leak from an unhappy player.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Intruder posted:

He's upset and you're here to say "Tough poo poo" over and over

No one is claiming his job should be 100% protected, but it's not some moral failing on his part to be unhappy with his replacement being drafted immediately and without any heads up. "Leaks" notwithstanding they could at least say something before the pick is announced or hell, once the trade was made

They couldn't tell him or contact him easily because he was in the middle of a Bears Draft party.

I understand him being unhappy, but I don't think it's some massive failing on the front office for not cluing in the dude they literally never met before signing him in the offseason(that might be the massive failing tho).

Pace went out of his way to talk about how much they like Glennon in the press conference after the first day of the Draft.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

e: I will say you seem to be a bit of an apologist considering you previously claimed third round picks have little to no value so the trade was fine

Not an apologist. I'm fully expecting Trubisky to suck and the Bears to continue to be bad, and for nothing to change.

But I'm fine with the trade as the action of a GM making a stand and signing his name to that poo poo. If he believes this dude is a franchise QB then I won't give a drat about some third round picks.

I am 100% okay with him putting himself on the cover of SI in a Wedding Dress, knowing that if when he fails he's fired.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol yeah, ok sure buddy

Yep.

I'd rather they fail spectacularly have everyone who failed get fired and then have this garbage Ownership group get another chance to roll the dice at finding a GM who hires a coach and to find players.

Rather than the slow non spectacular slow leak failure where you can get tricked into seeing something that's not there and then everyone sticks around longer than they need to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I believe there's a third choice you're overlooking.

The Third choice available now is Mitch is actually good and the Bears finally have a QB who will worth a drat. the odds on that(or most drafted QBs tbh) are slim.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey man Glennon could be good too! And what if they're both good!

:laffo:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kalli posted:

I think the Bears made like three bad choices at QB over the last month, but if Trubisky works out, then it's fine, I just think it's not very likely he works out.

Like, fine, I get moving on from Cutler, and giving Glennon the upfront contract because it's short term and you can move away from it if Glennon sucks in a year. But now if Glennon's great next year... do you get rid of that? Do you dump Trubisky? If he's good do you?

But then trading 3 picks to move up one spot to draft another QB is insane, because why wouldn't you just keep Cutler in that case? He can eat poo poo and boos all day until Trubisky is ready, and it's not like Glennon's going to help the new guy at all either.

And if you're going QB, why spend $18m on Glennon instead of franchising/signing Alshon Jefferies so your new guy has someone who owns to throw to?

Also if the John Fox stuff is true then the most likely scenario is the Bears are pretty bad next year, he gets fired and then you hire a new coach who gets to inherit a 2nd year QB he likely won't be very invested in?

Glennon is under contract for 3 years. The contract is just set up such that the Bears can jettison him whenever with little cap impact if needed.

If Glennon is great(lmao) next year you keep Trubisky as a backup being able to scout him in practice and judge whether or not he's any drat good or not. While Glennon continues to play well.

If Glennon is still great after year 2(wake me up), then you have to judge Glennon vs Trubisky and it's on your self scouting to determine if Trubisky projects to be better than Glennon is, and how likely it is Glennon will regress. You still have 3 more years of Trubisky on a rookie deal as a Backup so you would probably extend Glennon to market value for QB's at the time, and then wait and see what you get from Trubisky.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

John Brown posted:

Dude, shut the gently caress up already.

There's nothing good about the pick the Bears made. Not for the front office, not for Glennon, and not even for Mitch. The front office looks and operates like a joke (which has monetary implications and makes the place look undesirable to FO talent), Glennon's going to be looking over his shoulder and playing for a GM who doesn't want him, Mitch will be playing for a coach who doesn't want him and thrown out to the wolves too early, their development will get caught in the crosshairs of a political FO feud, and players' agents around the league will take note and tell their guys not to go there.

There's nothing to defend here. Best case scenario is one of Glennon/Mitch manages to keep their head on straight during this shitshow and develops into the QB the Bears want them to be.

Worst and most likely case? Everything gets blown up and you've wasted this year, as well as some of next year's draft picks.

Or how about you get better at context and reading comprehension.

I am under no illusion that this organization is a good one. my "defense" of the move amounts to being okay with a GM staking a claim and tying himself to a pick that will most assuredly bury him if it falls through.

what you just quoted is me doing nothing but extrapolating possible outcomes. Never said likely, or probably. Nothing more than theoretically possible.

So No I will not shut the gently caress up already.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

what if Glennon is Tom Brady and trubs is Jimmy g

what if??????????

We get to find out how bad Tom Brady would have turned out if loving John Fox was his coach rather than Bill Belicheck

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

fsif posted:

I hope Dexo has this thread bookmarked on the off-chance he's vindicated in the next three years.

Nah. that's a sucker's game. As I'm sure if you go back 2 years you'll find me defending John Fox likely because of how garbage and chaotic the Emery/Trestman fiasco ended.

I think Trubisky and Glennon are gonna be trash, Fox is gone after this year. And the Bears go back into their early 00's cavalcade of bad QB's

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

the funny thing is that even if Trubisky is good, it will still have been a bad, dumb idiot move because the alternative to making the trade to get Trubisky was not making the trade and still getting Trubisky

lmao if you think anyone is bringing up this trade if Trubisky is good.

<--------

Sweet someone spent money on me. Haven't had that happen since the old USPOL thread.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Intruder posted:

Mike Glennon?

woah woah he better be saving that 16 million dollars he's about to get paid to sit on the bench for a year.

Like man what's gonna happen when Trubisky is bad. That name is such a loving Chicago quarterback name. He can't be bad. I can picture post game callers talking about how great or bad he is now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The team paying money doesn't mean much of anything they are under the cap by a bunch.

I don't care much about the Mccaskey's spending money so long as it doesnt kill their cap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

who cares how much Glennon costs. it's not like Dion sims' giant contract matters either with respect to drafting a fat white supremacist

the bears have totally changed organizational philosophies and it's about drat time. be like the cubs and Blackhawks - suck horribly, get top picks win a title instead of interminable mediocrity for a giant media market

And then after you have success you start overpaying guys and somehow everyone on the team ends up with no trade clauses and you get bounced out of the first round unable to really do much of anything to reshape the team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Intruder posted:

Again, they traded two thirds and a fourth to move up one spot and take a player who would have fallen to them anyway

In that moment. If you have Trubisky as your target, and you don't know if some other team is going to move up and try and take him, and you don't know that the Niners aren't going to be willing to go further back with another offer they may have

Yes after the fact with all the information we know now,it's known that he likely would have fallen.

Bears were working off incomplete information. So sure they "lost" the trade, but they ensured with 100% certainty that they got the QB they wanted.

If Mitch turns out to be a good QB, and the Niners have issues at the position then no one is going to be talking about how much the Bears got fleeced rather they would likely say something to the effect of how much the Niners screwed up by passing on him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don't have a problem with trading up to get a guy you really want. If you like him, get him. Even if is only one pick

The problem was that their guy was Mitch.

This is probably closest to my view on it. I don't care about value or poo poo in the NFL draft if you as a front office really have faith in a player being a game changer

I don't think Mitch is a guy worth doing it for. But Obviously this Front office did. So we'll see what happens.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 2, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

And even if your argument was "Trubisky might not have been there," there were other QB options and it's not like Trubisky was the highest-rated QB prospect in the draft.

Edit: I was being unnecessarily flippant. Apologies

On Ryan Pace's board he had to have had Trubisky rated as at least the number 2 option for his team. So he made sure he got his guy. On other team's boards other QB's might have ranked higher, or other players or whatever depending on what that team's scouts said.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 2, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

assuming trubs would fall is exactly how the bears misses on Aaron donald

trigger warning :smith:

I have never been more mad at a draft pick being taken before the Bears in my life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

High_Life posted:

I think we are all missing a valid point here.... the Bears drafted Kyle "loving" Orton. I have hope... and season tickets.

Man apoligies to anyone who owns Bears seasons tickets.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fenrir posted:

Carr wasn't as bad as most of that list, but getting destroyed for a few years behind a line held together by scotch tape and paper clips can gently caress up a QB pretty hard.

:smith: Jay Cutler.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

weird Asian candy posted:

And also having the brain of Jay Cutler

Getting sacked like a billion times tends be bad for the head.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Trubs could turn out to be the next Peyton Manning and lead Chicago to the promised land and that still wouldn't change the fact the Bears gave up multiple draft picks for literally no reason

Like, if I sold you a car for 10 grand when you knew there was a 95% chance I'd settle for 8k, it doesn't matter how nice the car was, you still spent 2k more than you had to. That's the Bears right now ::iiaca:

If that is the car of my dreams that I have 100% faith that I will never need to replace for 10+ years then 2 grand is jack poo poo for 100% certainty. Especially if I don't know what is the lowest price you are willing to sell the car at.

If I really loving wanted that car, and think that Car will be my car for the next decade, then 2k is good enough for the piece of mind of not having to stress over missing out on a car of my dreams.

Though Satere is waaaaay more optimistic about this roster than I am.

LabyaMynora posted:

When people bring this up, I have to ask, are we sure that the athletes understand the finer points about their contracts? Is it possible that Glennon thinks he has a 3 year contract with the Bears and therefore will be with the Bears for 3 years?

Sure, we'd all like to believe his agent, who certainly does understand this, would fill him in on poo poo like this, but are we really sure this is happening?

You would have to be dumb as poo poo. Like really really dumb, hell all of the articles about the signing and almost everything written about Glennon has been about how his deal is structured so he can be fired into the sun after this year.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 3, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dexo never buy a car alone.

Thanks for the condescension but I have bought cars before.

I was using his metaphor as outside of the given metaphor there isn't a single loving car I could buy at 8-10k that is going to be rare enough for me to put that much emphasis and caring about. None of my "dream" cars fall in that price range.

No car in any price range I can afford is going to be rare enough or special for me to be willing to overspend.

I was just using his dumb :iiaca:

Grittybeard posted:

I do think there is some difference between signing a prove it deal for a team with no quarterback and signing with a team that just traded up to draft a quarterback #2 overall.

Would Glennon sign the same deal today knowing what was coming? I don't know, it still seems like it might be the best deal he could get because he's Mike Glennon. But the expectation of what he'd have to do to actually win the job past this year is a lot different now, he'd going to have to go full Cousins.

And if the Bears FO is like Washington's that still won't be enough.

Probably. No other team was going to give him a deal that would net him like 16 million for one year of work.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

The takes in Chicago right now are loving incredible

hmmm. Let me guess. Rick Tellander or David Haugh?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

Not trying to be contrary, but do the athletes really sit around reading articles about their contracts? I'm just thinking of that time Donovan McNabb said he didn't know games could end in a tie.

As fans, we tend to voraciously consume minutia about rules, draft theory, contracts, etc., and sometimes someone says or does something that makes us realize that the players/coaches/scouts, etc. don't think about it in quite the level of detail as some of us assume they do.

It's easy to imagine an athlete who fills his life with a general fitness routine, a practice routine specific to his sport, time with friends/family, maybe a hobby or two like playing video games or spear hunting wild boar or whatever, and he thinks all that contract stuff is what he pays his agent for and therefore doesn't pay attention to any of it. So in his mind, his agent got him a 3 year contract worth X-million dollars, so he has a contract for 3 years worth X-million dollars.

That's on him then. It's his job to ensure that his Agent is giving him the information he needs to get. A clause like that in a contract isn't something that just gets tossed in there without someone noticing. And it's on the Agent and him to work out if the offer is for them or not.

If Glennon doesn't know it's either due to his own incompetence, or a malicious agent not telling him.

I've only done a bit of contract development work, but the one thing I did take note of before signing anything was all the ways said contract can be terminated.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

Jesus Dexo take your meds

lmao

Spoeank posted:

Trubisky could go for 6000 yards with 60 TDs and zero INTs every year for the next 15 years and the Bears win all 15 titles and it would still be a loving stupid trade because there was literally zero reason for the trade to happen.

And I still wouldn't care all the same. Being able to look from the outside in after the fact is a hell of an advantage that the people making the decision didn't have.

If you think Trubisky is the second coming and you think there is even a remote chance of someone taking him before you get a chance to pick you move up 3rds and a 4th be damned.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 3, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Good to see they went after a dude who is aiming high and committed to football

High football IQ = cashing out after the rookie deal and not getting killed as a 5'7 running back.

Sataere posted:

Actually, this is a fair point. It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't aware and all he knew was that it was the best offer out there.

Pace said in his press conference that he didn't make any types of promises or guarantees. I also believe that he really does like Mike Glennon.

You could argue that Jordan Howard had a better season than Ezekiel Elliott last year. He didn't even win the starting job until a quarter if the way through the season and had a higher YPC on the year with an inferior line that knew he was their primary weapon.

Meredith only started 10 games, but had almost 1000 yards.

Zack Miller was a top ten receiving tight end before he got hurt.

On their offensive line, Sitton, Whitehair and Long might be one of the most talented interior lines in football and both guards were hurt for large parts of the year.

On defense, Hicks and Goldman are both promising players on the line. Freeman and Trevaithian were good with flashes of great from Freeman. Floyd looks like he could be a true difference maker on the outside.

Our secondary is hot garbage, big you have three second year players and a couple of free agents to help shore it up.

And we were one of the most injured teams in football.

I'm not saying we were a playoff team, just better than our record indicated. And we were hamstrung by injuries and poor coaching. There are still major question marks, but I was happy to see them address the offensive problems this draft.

This is without question. But if he does do that, you will hear about how other scouting departments were ready to pounce and that Pace was a genius for playing the draft the way they did. And in the end, if you played the wrong lotto numbers and win the Powerball, who loving cares? Would he really seem that much smarter if he drafted him at three and he busts hard?

I guess, but man do I have zero faith in Dowell Loggains, and John Fox. Fangio is cool though.

And that was the most amazing stuff to read during last year's football season. All the reports "leaked" from scouts and the war room about how man this team was totally gonna draft Dak, but *insert bullshit here* happened and they had to skip over him.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 3, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rex Grossman, Redskins.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

whypick1 posted:

We're listing good players

Second best Bears QB in my lifetime.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Flikken posted:

Cleveland Browns, Baltimore

:golfclap:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

weird Asian candy posted:

This needs to happen. I want to hear Don't Care Bear Jay Buttler making GBS threads on everyone and everything on national TV.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/860155041361080322

Cutler is exceptionally smart according to almost every person who has worked with him as far as preparation and learning the gameplan and new systems. His problem is actual execution.

He might actually be a good analyst when he doesn't have to answer for his often garbage in the moment decision making.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/120Sports/status/860246391305760768

Boy did the Bears save the Niners from themselves

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Oh.

I see.

Also dexo I'm so happy you've chosen to die on the It Was A Good Trade For The Bears hill

Lmao if that's what you took from a joke then so be it.

#1 fan of Trubisky here

Coldforge posted:

That's actually not what Shanahan said. At all. Local media is jumping all over SI for their headline. Shanahan said, when asked, that "if" the team doctors got it wrong on the shoulder, then "worst case scenario" would be Foster misses a single season.

Weird that so many articles are coming out trying to make the pick look bad.

Oh ok that does make more sense with that context.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:woop:

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

How the hell is is the two best free agent quarterbacks in the last five years both decided to go into broadcasting instead of playing???

no more hits to the head, no more having to rehab injuries(dear god does rehab loving suck), no more having to put yourself through massive amounts of stress for a marginal, relative to what they have earned in their career, increase in money.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Is Mike Martz still around at Fox sports?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/860484453378011136

"And tell Martz I said gently caress you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Due to layoffs at ESPN the broadcast booth for Monday Night Football will replaced by an intern and a Lil Jon Soundboard.

lmao if you think ESPN is going to buy out whatever absurd amount of money they are paying Gruden. He is literally their highest paid employee IIRC.

The Monday Night Football production will be run by John Gruden and a cardboard cutout.

• Locked thread