Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I think I might've responded to the wrong thread but Takk is still going to be really good. Some early morning idiot on fox sports radio was ripping him for bringing a picture of his grandma. gently caress that guy, I'd want a person who brings an effigy of a dead loved one to drive him.

Clay Travis is the worst. Or at least he aspires to be the worst, which is pretty competitive territory in sports talk radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The only really awful playoff games Ben has had were against the Jets in 2010 and the Seahawks in the Super Bowl (both games which the Steelers won of course, because that's how the world works).

Which isn't to say he's been really good of course, he hasn't most of the time. But he's not Ryan Lindley out there I guess is my point. Decidedly averageish.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This seems at the same time very kind to Bortles and also selling him short.

He shouldn't be considered as high as he is is in your rankings in my opinion, but there is a small possibility that he might improve and figure things out if he ever got actual good coaching. So he shouldn't be in the same tier as the Carson Palmer's of the world who are at the rear end end of their career I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Fair. He's still only 34, but the middle years of his career when he got sacked 50+ times per year probably took 5 years off of his playing years

Yeah no one willingly and as an integral part of their game took as much punishment as Ben did when he was younger. So many times he'd just stand there and shrug off some 300 lb guy instead of getting rid of the ball early.

e: Well no one who doesn't run a lot. Cam has an argument for getting beat up that much.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

He ran a lot when he was young too. Like, a lot.

Frequently for a QB sure, but nothing like Cam. Ben's highest rushing attempts in a season is 56 in his rookie year, Cam's lowest was last year at 90. I'm sure a big chunk of the difference is Ben handing the ball off in short yardage situations and Cam being like, the actual go to option for Carolina.

What I remember Ben doing is running around all over the place in the backfield before finally throwing when he was young. Then at some point he graduated to just hanging out in a collapsing pocket and hip tossing rushing D Linemen like it was nothing for a couple of years. Recently he plays way more like a normal QB.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Bort needs to be completely rebuilt, I don't think Andy Reid can do that.

Dude has serious problems with the basic fundamental moves associated with throwing a football.

Hmmm....

I hope you're wrong, for reasons unrelated to Bortles.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

I..what? In what way?

Run around avoiding the rush and bomb it deep is a thing Elway did a lot of.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Eh, I dont see ole grey dick in the same class as elway/cunningham/tarkenton for elusive funslinging.

Oh sure, he wasn't anywhere near as elusive, although he was definitely a lot harder to take down. He wasn't as good as Elway at avoiding things (or as ridiculous as Cunningham was at times since you bring him up), but I can see a bigger but lesser player comparison between Roethlisberger and Elway.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqHSoWWNF3A&t=8s

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm really kind of excited about Rex in the booth. I hope he can moderate his language enough for TV but still keep his excitement about football things.

Alternately I hope he can't moderate his language at all and the broadcast is a string of beeps.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

She's terrible.

I think you might be thinking of Pam Ward. Mowins is boring but competent, which makes her automatically the best play by play person to call the late MNF game...well...ever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

The Chiefs QB curse begins anew...

http://kan.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Patrick-Mahomes-II-robbed-at-gunpoint-over-the-weekend-52761437

"Report: Patrick Mahomes II robbed at gunpoint over the weekend"

quote:

Nobody was harmed and both Michael Blake Pinkerton, 34, and Billy Ray Johnson, 58, were both tracked down after the authorities were called and arrested and taken to the Smith County jail.

Now those are some Texas outlaw names.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

WHOOPS posted:

He was pretty good last year. Not a "top QB" but good enough for the Vikings to be successful if the line could have blocked anyone. It really can't be overstated how bad the offensive line was last year. If the moves the team made this offseason can get the line to "average", the rest of the offense (and defense) is competent enough for the Vikings to be competitive.

Yeah that thing someone posted about deep balls was kind of stunning, Bradford was actually ridiculously good throwing deep last year the few times he was able to. Which is the exact opposite of what I think of Bradford's 2016.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was roommates with football players for a semester in college due to some mix up--they don't like normies to be with athletes usually. They'd have their football assignment stuff to study (like opposing team's tendencies, etc) and on top of every page in the two linemen's handouts was a bolded reminder to keep eating.

It was nutritional stuff but the basic message was they need to eat.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

UFC fighters do all sorts of crazy poo poo. They miss weight cuts and lose purses, get hospitalized, are more prone to concussions, are slower etc.

Some people say it doesn't help at all, some say it gives you a huge advantage if done right. It's terrible for your body long-term though.

It's obviously around in every weight class sport. Back when he actually cared enough to make weight Julio Ceasar Chavez Jr's best aspect as a boxer was making weight at the weigh in but then coming into the ring on fight night 20 lbs heavier than whoever he was fighting.

It's slightly safer than it used to be since they moved weigh ins farther away from fights. A super popular KC fighter died after cutting everything to make weight and then fighting less than 24 hours later 15 years or so ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Teams are apparently getting even more touchy about 'guaranteed' money in contracts. For a while there's been language about voiding contracts if a player is suspended for any reason, now some contracts have language that a player's contract can be voided if they incur a fine. Celebrate a little too much? Get a ticky tack roughing the passer penalty? Well there's an automatic fine. But it's even worse than that, teams themselves can fine players:

quote:

A more sinister trend is developing: teams are negotiating language that voids—erases—future guarantees not only for suspensions, but also for a fine! Think about this scenario: a player is late to a meeting (perhaps because his car broke down or he had an accident) and is fined for being late, triggering the void of millions, or even tens of millions of future guarantees!

That's, uh....well not very good for the players. In theory they wouldn't even have to do anything wrong, they could be fined for having a bad attitude or something because the team itself is the only one overseeing what's fine-worthy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

LDT? Morse? Who am I looking at here?

Look at the Charger who tries to square up for a second at the five yard line. LDT and Morse are Chiefs offensive linemen.

Another terrible stat about Chiefs drafted quarterbacks I just learned. Other than the technicality of Roger Staubach, Kansas City has never drafted a quarterback who threw more Touchdowns than he did Interceptions.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

LdT retired years ago

You try to learn how to spell the KC guard's name. Agreed that it's a bad nickname but he needs something other than his actual name for the internet.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I don't actually think the Chargers' roster is that bad

Yeah I don't think they're Super Bowl contenders or anything but a healthy Chargers team seems like a middle of the pack NFL team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

I remember noticing how bad Jax's oline was few years ago where Justin Houston had like 4 sacks, and they were the easiest sacks someone could possibly get.

Edit: Like that

http://i.imgur.com/pjXtvUA.gifv

Was this back when Guy Whimper was still there? I think he was completely doomed by his name and nothing could have saved his career.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Reminder that LaGarrette Blount shoved Todd Hayley to the ground on the sidelines, and went to the team bus to pout with 10min left in a game at TN because he wasn't getting enough carries on a night where Le'Veon Bell went for 200+ yards.

He tried to shove him directly into a tackle that was happening on the sideline. I laugh every single time I think of this because it's just so ridiculous.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh god the shirts, the shirts have been printed.

I love that they're sold out of both small and 3xl. No middle ground with this fan base.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not to argue with an insane person, but I feel like Joe Delaney is the worst tragedy in Chiefs history.

Also his twitter name is apparently Never Watch Football and he posts a bunch of anime stuff. He is active. I looked so you don't have to.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

what's his name the UT fan who was crazy

Groverat. Teacher and possible pedophile (or at least argued seriously in Sandusky's defense and was always super creepy in recruiting threads--like creepy by recruiting thread standards which takes some doing). We probably should have reported his posts to his school board.

SKULL.GIF posted:

What's weird is Parm used to be a relatively normal poster but then some neurons got knocked loose and he went nuts.

Yeah I kinda liked the Parm that just talked endless poo poo on the Raiders. Then every gimmick/dumb thing just got progressively worse until the end.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I always just assumed fish and chips was Britain's national dish.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

:siren: 100% uncut chiefs playoff football :siren:

https://youtu.be/7ncUa5U_CNM?t=5036

Oh god Eric Hicks is in this clip. He actually wasn't the worst player in the world, but I cannot think of anything about his career other than crashing down inside every . single . time when whoever was the Broncos quarterback would be bootlegging out into space where he'd have like a minute and a half to either throw the ball or run for 15 yards.

It was probably coaching and not actually his fault but holy poo poo did I hate watching this happen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

What was Kansas City's defensive line like that year? Because that is the one x-factor I can think of w/r/t why the Broncos thrived in '97 and '98

Terrible interior play, sort of half assed competent on the ends.

As much as I'd like to hate on Robinson (and believe me I hate him), I have to admit there wasn't much talent to work with on those KC defenses. Scott Fujita and Vonnie Holiday were the best players on that defense, and both of them actually made their names somewhere else and were just kind of there in KC. Well I thought Fujita got a raw deal at the time and should have been re-signed, but Vonnie just didn't do much as a Chief.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

He reportedly still had concussion problems earlier this month, his head might just be permanently screwed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whiteyfats posted:

Slow rear end quarterbacks making a rushing touchdown always amuses me. Peyton ran one in one time and I must have laughed for three minutes.

Peyton could move a little bit when he was younger. Never a burner obviously but supposedly he ran a 4.8 40.

But man that slow rear end naked bootleg with the Broncos after any of that 'speed' was long gone is just completely ridiculous.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

Owning a Tebow-led team is like owning a two-year-old

The most bullshit thing I've seen in the last few years is the Broncos getting to have the fun of Tebow ridiculousness without having to experience the inevitable downfall.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--I still can't believe the guy didn't do that

The coliseum has terrible seats and going there to watch the Rams play isn't enjoyable for anyone. Checks out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There might be a better video somewhere but the hit that ended Steve Young's career fits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7dw63deh_Y

Hard to tell there but Lawrence Phillips was the one who completely spaced out on the blitz pickup.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

weird Asian candy posted:

Ahmad Brooks turned Drew Brees into a giraffe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owmvwVyP0nM

I mean this is a quarterback getting lit up but doesn't seem like what Chromatic is asking about? The RT attempts a block there he just gets his rear end beat right away.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

The Texans badly need a safety and haven't even kicked Revis's tires as far as I'm aware

I don't think there's any particular reason to think Revis would be good as a safety. Some guys have made the move sure, but it's not like old HoF CB=good safety.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

John Brown posted:

How the gently caress did Ty Law last so long?

Darrell Green's the more interesting case imo. He was still useful through 39 at corner, and played until he was 42.

I mean think about how old Champ Bailey felt like he was towards the end, he retired at 35.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Winston. He's doing decently with a much shittier team and line.

The only thing* that would give me pause in this comparison is I worry he's got a little too much Cutler in him. Jameis will throw some ridiculously stupid picks. At least with what we've seen of them so far, Dak has enough talent to make me a believer eventually.

*-Well the only on-field thing at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
We've got some OTAs coming up this week, hopefully something funny happens so we don't need to talk about a funny hot take QB ranking.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

Found a 15 minute highlight vid of a shootout between an old af Marino and a rookie(?) Peyton from 18 years ago.

Marino owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDB24Wmc6U

An already old as hell Marino had another good one (just box score, I don't have a video :( ) between him and 2nd year Drew Bledsoe.

We need to suit Marino up again and have him go against any good young quarterback prospect.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The goalposts are wider to accommodate for the extremes, but in general, most kicking is done from similar positions to the NFL.

This isn't true, or at least is no longer true. College goal posts are the same width as NFL goal posts. I want to say college used to use high school type posts which are wider, but I don't know how to look it up. If they did it's been quite a while since they changed.

Not having to use a slick new ball for every kick probably still makes it easier to kick in college though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

This isn't true, or at least is no longer true. College goal posts are the same width as NFL goal posts. I want to say college used to use high school type posts which are wider, but I don't know how to look it up. If they did it's been quite a while since they changed.

Not having to use a slick new ball for every kick probably still makes it easier to kick in college though.

I'm probably the only person in the world who cares but I found when they changed, at least assuming this math teacher's page is correct (ok, not the best source but whatever)

quote:

A series of rule changes occured to NCAA football in the early 90's that many thought affected a kickers ability to hit a field goal. Going back to 1959 the standard field goal post width was 23 ft 4 inches (still used in high schools today). However, in 1991 officials decided to lessen the width to 18 ft 6 inches. However, the officials did not change the width of the hashmarks which at the time were 53 ft 4 inches apart. During this time, many felt that field goal kickers, kicking at the hashmarks, were at a disadvantage then kickers before them as their kicking angles were more severe. In 1993 the NCAA shortened the distance between hashmarks to 40 feet, alleviating some claims that field goal kicking had been much more difficult from the hashmarks.

I'd forgotten that the hashes used to be even wider in college ball.

• Locked thread