Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News wrote a lot of words about Whaley/McDermott, but this pretty much sums it up:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

The biggest red flag in all of these Bills articles of the last few weeks is how overly involved Pegula is in the football operations side of things. That's bad juju right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

It's ok because the GM will be fired!

Nov 6, 2002

I believe there's a third choice you're overlooking.

Nov 6, 2002

I can't believe someone would pay $30k to sit in a draft room for a day.

Nov 6, 2002

John Brown posted:

Dude, shut the gently caress up already.

There's nothing good about the pick the Bears made. Not for the front office, not for Glennon, and not even for Mitch. The front office looks and operates like a joke (which has monetary implications and makes the place look undesirable to FO talent), Glennon's going to be looking over his shoulder and playing for a GM who doesn't want him, Mitch will be playing for a coach who doesn't want him and thrown out to the wolves too early, their development will get caught in the crosshairs of a political FO feud, and players' agents around the league will take note and tell their guys not to go there.

There's nothing to defend here. Best case scenario is one of Glennon/Mitch manages to keep their head on straight during this shitshow and develops into the QB the Bears want them to be.

Worst and most likely case? Everything gets blown up and you've wasted this year, as well as some of next year's draft picks.

My guess: After two years Glennon, Pace and Fox will all be gone in Chicago.

Nov 6, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

The problem is that history doesn't validate this--teams that trade up to get a QB haven't been successful historically.

This just feels like a sample size problem. I don't see how trading up to get a QB can somehow be intrinsically bad. Trading up for another position, like WR or DE is fine, but not a QB? It doesn't past the smell test.

Nov 6, 2002

The flip side is that quarterback is a much more important position than any other on the roster. And if your organization can successfully identify a franchise quarterback it is worth sacrificing in the short term for the long term gain of having that player. That fact that it's only worked out once or twice - with few teams even trying - is incidental and speaks more to the difficulty in finding a worthy quarterback.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 2, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

Excluding Goff and Wentz - it's too early for any conclusions - there have been FIVE trade ups for QB's in the last two decade. Five!

2012, RG3 - RG3 was ruined by injuries, his own ego and a feud between the coach and owner. Had he continued on the trajectory set by his rookie season Washington would have been thrilled with what they gave up.

2011, Gabbart - Just an awful player. Obviously not helped by his supporting cast, but I don't think one 2nd round pick would have saved Blaine loving Gabbert's career.

2009, Sanchez - Considering the talent on that roster when he was drafted, and the way they dragged his butt to multiple playoff appearances you cannot blame his failure on missing pieces.

2001, Vick - Sure Vick needs weapons. He also needs to take being a quarterback seriously and not murder dogs.

1998, Leaf - Insane person.

It's absurd to draw any conclusions from those five guys, who success or failure were affected by a variety of factors far beyond what their teams gave up to get them.

Nov 6, 2002

Uh, hello, Brian Hoyer is not a reject!

Nov 6, 2002

I swear the Bills have a compulsion to get rid of any good players they draft or find.

They're like a dude who can't date an 8 knowing someone out there is banging a 10.

Nov 6, 2002

Coldforge posted:

Is that someone describing how quickly a 25 point lead can disappear? He could also be discussing a pick six from the 10-yard line in the final two minutes of a playoff-implication game. I'm not sure :shrug:

Any excuse to post my favorite highlight ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBG-XEjDrS8

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/AnthonyLy49/status/859751630463434754

Nov 6, 2002

Tom Brady is going to the Texans after this year. It's pretty obvious.

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

The most famous interaction between Brady and BOB was... Brady basically telling him to go gently caress himself, loudly and repeatedly, on live TV. I'm not sure he wants anything to do with the Texans.

e: Brady is famous for taking rear end chewings from Belichick as an example for the rest of the team, but the second BOB tried to do it Brady acted like some random scrub made a joke about his mom's cancer.

He's not going to have a say in it.

Nov 6, 2002

Alge Crumpler, New England Patriot

Nov 6, 2002

Remember when Cris Carter said Calvin Johnson wasn't an elite wide receiver?

Nov 6, 2002

This is a cool thing.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/05/04/526782407/spit-test-may-reveal-the-severity-of-a-child-s-concussion

Nov 6, 2002

Jimmy Carter - The Buffalo Bills

Nov 6, 2002

How the hell is it the two best free agent quarterbacks in the last five years both decided to go into broadcasting instead of playing???

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 5, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

No.The broadcasting world is ready for a heel in the booth.

Nov 6, 2002

I hope it's like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GoGAkkONPs

Nov 6, 2002

fishing with the fam posted:

I wonder if there is going to be a considerable decline in the broadcast's quality during primetime games.

Why, is Ray Lewis coming back?

Nov 6, 2002

I'm sure there's an alternate reality where the Jets ended up with Manning and Belichick.

Nov 6, 2002

What a surprise. I'm sure every other team is employee the same type of doctor.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Technically football related.

Gonna be David Attenborough Elementary.

Nov 6, 2002

The statue at the new Falcon's stadium is pretty badass.

73,000lbs, largest bird statute in the world.

Nov 6, 2002

Pops Mgee posted:

The Falcons are bland as hell but this is pretty badass. Looks like a loving megazord.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Aaron Hernandez now officially innocent

They can put that on his tombstone.

Nov 6, 2002

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I just think it's pretty funny how people can make the leap in logic from "this man killed people" to "gently caress THAT 4YR OLD KID. SHE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT SHE WAS GETTING INTO WHEN SHE WAS BEING BORN."

Or maybe they think his victims deserve any money left in his estate more than his child.

Nov 6, 2002

Supposedly there's no money left anyway. Blood from a stone, etc, etc.

Nov 6, 2002

What teams most likely had their window close after last season?

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Aaron Rodgers is a dumb tool, but lol if you don't think the Packers will hit 10+ wins regardless of what happens next year.

Who the hell else is gonna win that division, the Lions? lol

Nov 6, 2002

He's really getting senile now!

https://twitter.com/siriusxmnfl/status/862093474946060289

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah I see the Chargers having a very high ceiling and floor this year. Same with the Cowboys.

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah I misspoke. I should have said I see them having a very high ceiling and a very low floor.

Nov 6, 2002

New England did some weird poo poo to ensure Blunt would count in the compensatory system if he signs somewhere else before July 22nd. And after that date he can only sign with New England.

quote:

For any teams that made a tender offer to any of its unrestricted free agents before May 9, the team secures two key rights, per a league source with knowledge of the situation.

First, the team acquires exclusive negotiating rights with the player, if he doesn’t sign elsewhere before July 22. From July 22 through the Tuesday after Week 10 of the regular season, the player can sign only with his prior team. Second, if the May 9 tender is made and the player signs with a new team before July 22, the transaction counts toward the compensatory draft pick formula for 2018.

The Patriots, PFT has learned, made the May 9 tender to running back LeGarrette Blount. The offer amounts to 110 percent of his total pay in 2016, which was $1 million.

Nov 6, 2002

Has any starting running back earned less money to win two Super Bowls than LeGarrette Blount?

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

99% of the SUPPORT ARE TROOPS types are human garbage who never did a single thing for their country, in any capacity, at any point in their loving lives. For every leftie who is guilty of "virtue signaling" by (insert stereotypical hippie thing here) there are 1,000 of these worthless chuckle-fucks making a big show of their fraudulent, never did poo poo and never will do poo poo, excuse for "patriotism."

This is a great take on the "all soldiers are heros!" from the receiving side.

http://taskandpurpose.com/call-veterans-heroes-getting-it-wrong/

quote:

I don’t want a cheap thank you. I don’t want to board the airplane first. I don’t want your first-class seat. I don’t want free admission to amusement parks. I don’t want you to pay for my meal. I sure as hell don’t care if you put a yellow ribbon sticker on your car. All of that is meaningless. It only allows Americans to assuage their guilt and feeds an outsized sense of entitlement among many veterans.

What I do want, though, are more Americans who answer President John F. Kennedy’s call, “… ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.” He didn’t say, “Ask what someone else can do for your country and then thank him profusely.”

Nov 6, 2002

That'll help him keep his nose clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

• Locked thread