Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

Minus the fact that their first two picks were a tweener and an Alabama MLB with behavioral issues

And their project QB is Erlich Bachman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's La Canfora so of course it's the complete opposite of everyone saying Whaley was already cut out and McDermott ran the show.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/859068199865905152

Yeah, many Bills reporters have come to Twitter to vocally dispute it.

https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/859072716787396609

But THAT SAID, La Canfora was the only one who, I think, was ahead of the Whaley firing story. I'm guessing his source is someone from Whaley's camp?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah Peter King is a goober with some dumb opinions, but he is incredibly well-connected and his column often contains some pretty amazing nuggets.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

La Canfora does get big scoops, though, (see the Whaley/scout team firing) so his reports will continue to get some play and he won't ever be dismissed outright. Football's Louise Mensch.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News wrote a lot of words about Whaley/McDermott, but this pretty much sums it up:

quote:

Whaley's virtual disappearance from public view after McDermott's arrival wasn't a coincidence. It was a fulfillment of a condition of McDermott's employment.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I hope Dexo has this thread bookmarked on the off-chance he's vindicated in the next three years.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Eric Ebron and Blake Bortles get their fifth-year options picked up but Watkins doesn't, lol.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Bills can still franchise Watkins next season, but not picking up the option is still insanely dumb unless they think there's a significant chance that 23-year-old Sammy Watkins actually can't play a whole season again.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

Just because they decline the option doesn't mean they won't keep them, it's that they don't wanna pay in case he gets injured again

It's true, but it's still a dumb move.*

He's missed a decent number of games, but nothing that I think is particularly abnormal. His injury isn't thought to be a career-altering one and I don't know if there's really compelling evidence that he is more likely to get hurt than any other wide receiver. The Bills are likely going to end up paying ~$4 million more for him next year on the franchise tag and lose a lot of leverage on a contract extension.

*barring the possibility that the Bills know more about Sammy's foot/health than they're letting on.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

This is a fun picture.

That's apparently Doug Whaley and Tim Murray (ex-Sabres GM) who were both fired in the last week or two at a bar in Buffalo this afternoon.

Kind of cute, honestly. Hope Whaley lands on his feet.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Justin Forsett retired. RIP to the generation's most important Twitter avatar.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

lol I just looked this up and it's even better than I remembered.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

And the world would be better if they won

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

weird Asian candy posted:

Oh hey! An opinion from 6 years ago! :allears:

Well, one year ago, really.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Natalie Weiner is a good follow, btw.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Madden curse, all of your training has led up to this moment.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Imagine if Tom Brady has another MVP-caliber season and maybe wins the Super Bowl and Patriots fans could add “Tawm beat the Madden Curse!” to their repertoire.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

My offseason hot take is that Ben Roethlisberger is insanely overrated and is very obviously not a top ten quarterback.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

My hot retort is that he has 2 more ringz than Jim Kelly

Only one more than Tyrod Taylor, though!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

But for real, Ben's obviously a good starter, but I don't know any other QB in the league that could put up as many 1 TD/3 INT games and routinely no-show postseason games as him and still be as highly touted as he is, especially with the supporting cast he's had around him.

fsif fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 13, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hue is secretly in a great position this year. He only really needs four or five wins the entire season to be credited with leading the team in the right direction.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tyrod Taylor getting the rawest deal in football this side of Colin Kaepernick. From the Bills new, non-Doug Whaley GM:

quote:

Well, you know, listen I'm new here. I met Tyrod the other day. Obviously I’ve seen Tyrod on film. If we walked out there today I would say Tyrod’s probably the starter. But we haven’t even gone through OTAs. You know we got the young guy (Nathan) Peterman, I thought he did some nice things this weekend at the minicamp. Cardale Jones has huge arm and talent. I don't know anything about him personally. TJ Yates has done some starting in his career, so there are some guys on the roster. I am for open competition.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

John Brown posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the Buffalo Bills??? Tyrod could easily leave for a nice contract on a non-poo poo team (see Denver).

Based on his decision to take a mega pay cut to stay in Buffalo, I don't actually think there IS much a market for him. Meanwhile, Mike Glennon got $15 million, Blake Bortles is the uncontested starter, and Blaine Gabbert is once again employed.

(And before anyone says, “yeah, but Mike Glennon's contract allows him to be easily cut next year”, so does Tyrod's.)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Very difficult to believe this all has nothing to do with Taylor and Kaepernick being so...athletic, and Kaepernick being so...uppity.

Setting likely racial issues aside for a bit, it is insane to me that Taylor's rushing ability is probably a liability for his professional aspirations. This time last year, the line was that his play style was unsustainable because he missed two games after an illegal tackle.

Last season, he started every game (well, except Week 17, heh) and helmed the top rushing offense by DVOA, but his value is still roughly equal to the gawky backup with five wins because, well, he stands tall in the same place throughout the course of a play.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

Please, for the love of God, do not use SA as your primary news source for anything except dumb bloodsports

White nationalist telling us where to get our news from.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hahaha, forgot about that Bortles foot pick.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/865545093016571906

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm trying to play out the scenarios in my head where Fitzpatrick can get his prerequisite mega paycheck from Tampa, but this one's a bit tougher.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Dak because he's not a piece of poo poo.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

My owner employs cheerleaders well into their 40s. :c00l:

And drafted Joe Mixon.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

BREAKING: NFL TO BECOME FL

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/867036322409717760

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't like Fitzpatrick's late career heel turn.

https://twitter.com/PewterReport/status/867072227510018049

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

I'm sure Bills fans are betting on Sammy Watkins.

He already plays at a high level, he just never plays.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Weird release since he looked like he was at least starting to put it together as a swing tackle last year but whatever.

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/867382600486334464

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He's injured all the time, but his play last year was good enough that he would at least be considered a strong backup. McDermott seems obsessed with character, though, and this happened a month ago:

quote:

Kouandjio was found in a T-shirt without pants, but wearing underwear, wandering in a field after climbing over an electric fence, authorities said. When an Erie County Sheriff's deputy went to detain him, a police source said that the 6-foot-7, 322-pound Kouandjio yelled, "Shoot me!"

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

evilweasel posted:

that seems less like a character issue and more like a serious mental health issue unless he was high as balls on some weird-rear end poo poo

I assumed it was spice but I guess I don't have anything to back that up.

(I don't agree with this theoretical McDermott evaluation, by the way; I'm just saying it seems likely to be a factor in the decision.)

fsif fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 24, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Great, now I'm starting to feel bad for Brock. I watched the interview and he was more or less asked "why should you start? you suck." He was surprisingly diplomatic, but welp, now there's the quote.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This is peak NFC East and I loving love it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Wilson is a bit of a tool who has never seemed comfortable in his own skin, but when he's hot he's maybe my favorite quarterback in the league to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm going to be less subtle and just say motherfuck Jarvis Landry.

• Locked thread