Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
The Red Sox are being assholes no doubt but lol if you really think machado is being anything but a whiny bitch.

'Why don't i just attack people with my bat then??' :qq:

Edit: removed the unnecessary 'wah'

NiceGuy fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I would like to just say I was under the understanding that the Dylan/Mookie HBP was intentional until just now, which definitely changes my interpretation of the events. Because yeah, I was having a hard time giving a poo poo about throwing at machado again if they were continuing things even after Matt Barnes made himself look like a chump. But if the Dylan pitch was incidental, yeah, Sale obviously took it too far and the Red Sox are bad.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Yeah that idea is actually really neat-o and if I had any technical expertise I'd be all over it! Do it up, goons!

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
He's been absolute trash all season but good lord, Kyle Kendrick: #4 starter is now the reality

I'd honestly prefer giving Henry Owens his 5 or 6th chance

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Jesus christ Curt gently caress the gently caress off

Why couldn't Randy Johnson have helped us break the curse instead

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Who loving asked Schilling for his opinion anyway?

Seems like you guys got exactly the right person for the job, actually :v:

Oh it's definitely appropriate in a gross way.

And I'm unprecendenyed news, a Kyle Kendrick spot start went very poorly today!

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Intruder posted:

In Curt Schilling news:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm all in favor of giving Schilling the ol' Stalin purge and removing him from all historical '04 and '07 World Series footage and photos. Soon enough people will tell tales the heroic Pedro Martinez and his bloody sock, and reality will be better for it.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
So the Red Sox are throwing 28-year-old rookie Hector Velazquez against Oakland tonight, which I guess is the best team you could hope to face in your debut. He's kind of an interesting story, tore up the Mexican League last year and was doing quite well in AAA (1.55 ERA in 29 IP) so maybe he could be a useful piece? Screw it, give me a quality start or two and I'll be happy.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Who was that UIF who always looked like one of the Universal monsters, ranging from vampire-to-wolfman?

Fake edit: It was Jamey Caroll

/noisily devours goat

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/rt_ohio/status/866845996881289216

As if you need another reason to like Joey Votto

You're trying to tell Joey loving Votto that he's not any good? :psyduck:

I mean jeez, I can't even think of a good way to heckle the guy. He's not particularly bad at anything, is he? "Ay Joey you suck at stealing! Why's Billy Hamilton so much better than you??"

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Today is apparently Sam Travis Day in Boston :toot:

Here's to Lars Anderson 2.0! (please no)

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
News: Red Sox pitching strikes out 20 Rangers, Craig Kimbrel ties MLB strikeouts-in-an-inning record with 4

Views: :hellyeah: This season has been the very definition of a mixed bag but that's pretty cool to see in a non-Sale game

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Yeah it looked slightly more impressive before I looked up how many people had done it, although it's still good company!

What is slightly more impressive is that it's the second time Kimbrel has done it and he's only the 4th person to repeat the feat (Chuck Finley has 3 of them)

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Hunter strickland is a douche and an instigator but lol if you really can't get some amount of enjoyment out of bryce harper getting smacked every once in awhile

and yeah a 'deceptive' helmet throw, that's what it was :lol:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Craptacular! posted:

He's really super tryhard about being super-hyper-masculine that it sometimes borders on ridiculous, and it always amuses me. From the wild-rear end eyeblack, to the periodic outbursts on the field, to the time he broke a bat bashing it against a wall in a tunnel and a piece came back and hit his eye, to the ESPN body issue, to the time he was instigating arguments with a previous manager... Most of this stuff is small, some of it is not-so-small, and certainly not all of it is objectively bad, but all of it cumulatively is LOL.

Sometimes he's praised for saying something like "let guys flip bats", but it's a moment when a broken clock is right twice a day because really is just continuing his effort to be the world's biggest alpha male. Sure you can argue he's super competitive, but it's also kind of arrogant, and very jackassy. Guys who try to project that hard about their alpha status always rub me the wrong way; whether they're athletes or businessmen or artists or whatever.

Granted, he's been feted by media people into thinking he's the greatest athlete into gods green earth, and bounced out of school and young adult life early so he could be in MLB as young as he possibly can, so it's kind of not surprising he is like he is, but let's call a dingus a dingus.

He's not the worst thing about baseball, though. That's AJ Pierzynski.

No see he says abrasive stuff about umpires and opposing players which just makes him so loving cool

Like yeah I get it, he's one of the top 3 baseball players in the majors but SAS gets weird whenever anyone tries to point out that he's been regarded as an immature twat most of his professional career and most people don't really hate seeing someone like that get socked, whether he deserved it or not (he didn't)

for the record, i don't even know exactly why he's regarded as such which I guess is on me

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I'm not going to post all the 'Bryce had it coming' tweets from across the MLB after Papelbon choked him out but hoo boy were there alot of them, so saying it's just analysts and writers is bullshit

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Hmm yes quite the refutation, but have you considered :fuckoff:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Intruder posted:

Red Sox fan defends Papelbon for choking Harper, his evidence is a bunch of tweets

again, lol

I didn't defend Papelbon choking Harper at all, I just said there was a contingent of players who did

again, :fuckoff:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Intruder posted:

I'll politely decline, thanks

If you can't handle someone laughing at your opinion that some people on twitter don't like Bryce or that some players believe in this dumb code of honor means he's a shithead then that's your business

My business is discussing baseball in the baseball thread and if you think 'lol' is a worthwhile post then that's your business, mr. former mod. Nevermind the fact that you completely misrepresented what I saying in some dumb attempt to score points or something. You don't have to gently caress off but you are kind of a douche.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Intruder posted:

Your post was literally "There were a lot of tweets saying he had it coming so there must be something to him being a shithead"

Nevermind that you can find tweets defending literally anything (I'd bet there are more tweets saying Hitler did nothing wrong that are entirely sincere than there are tweets defending Papelbon) and nevermind that there are tons of players who think it's legitimately correct to assault someone for "not playing the game the right way"

Also lol at the "mr former mod" thing if that lol isn't too offensive for you

No, my post was literally 'There were a lot of tweets saying he had it coming, and a lot of it was from players and not just analysts like SAS likes to claim' but sure keep on swinging at that strawman

misunderstanding someone isn't a big deal but being a smug douche while doing so is kinda off-putting

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Julio Cruz posted:

Oh, sorry, I'll change "dumb ESPN assholes" to "dumb ESPN and Twitter assholes", that better for you? (since I can't find any player who went on record as saying Bryce deserved it)

No it's not because here's what 5 seconds of googling revealed:

http://nypost.com/2015/09/28/baseball-brethren-bryce-harper-had-choke-coming/

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...e-coming-092715

Bryce Harper is a polarizing figure, you're wrong, get over it

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Well if CJ loving Nitkowski found somebody to say "Bryce is a great player. He’s a true superstar. But he’s not above playing the game the right way. I’m glad someone finally told him that." in response to Jonathan Papelbon putting his hands around his neck, then I guess that settles it. And clearly all of baseball supports Paps, as evidenced by his still ongoing career as a relief pitcher.

The Unwritten Rules: They're actually Very Good!

Or it could be that he just sucked his last year in the league? At least two teams made him offers after he got released so that's another dumb point. Jesus you guys are having a real hard time with the idea that not everyone loves Bryce which I really didn't think was a controversial sentiment.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Your only evidence that Bryce Harper is hated and a clubhouse pariah is unsourced bullshit "Play the game the right way" crap from noted hot-taker CJ Nitkowski.

How do you feel about Jose Bautista or David Ortiz in terms of being polarizing figures?

Again, never said that stupid-rear end-thing that you guys keep claiming I said. But don't worry, I too regard any articles that I disagree with to be fake news.

Like for real, what is the point you're trying to make with that? That because he's a lovely writer he must have made up like 10 or 12 quotes whole cloth? What the loving shocker, most players don't want to publicly come out against the literal face of the MLB.

edit: I apologize for the snark, I really do. I'm having a bad day. Can we all just drop this?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
You must have missed good old Latroy Hawkins then.

Like do you expect me to go trawling back 2 years to find a bunch of tweets about it? :lol: Twitter search ain't hard.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I was under the impression that Latroy was a Solid Dude™ so that's disappointing.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

ego symphonic posted:

I think we're talking past each other a little bit here. It's certainly true that Harper has a reputation around various fanbases for being an arrogant jerk but I think what people are trying to argue is that that reputation is largely unearned and if you really try to interrogate the reasons why people who hate Harper do so they tend to be really flimsy / downright silly (too much eye black, lmao).

People have always thought this about him, even when he first got called up (see Cole Hamels plunking him for literally no reason) and didn't have any track record to point to beyond some lovely footage of him maybe blowing a kiss at a minor league pitcher one time. It's hard for me to really identify where the larger narrative around Harper crystalized as "talented jackass" but in my extremely biased opinion its mostly made up.

Okay, yes, absolutely I can agree with all of this.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also my usual way of de-escalating baseball arguments is to just ask the other person "Hey, at least we can both agree that Boston sucks, right?" which I don't think will work here :v:

Dohhhhhhhhhh :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Is there anything stopping someone from just wearing straight-up face paint? Maybe when he's on the Yankees he can rock the Crow/Sting look. Now that I could really get behind.

• Locked thread