Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

pasaluki posted:

"loving bullshit. loving bullshit coward stuff. That’s stuff that you don’t loving do. But I’m not on that side, I’m not in that organization. They’re still thinking about that same slide that I did that was no intention on hurting anybody and I’m still paying, I’m still trying to get hit at. Getting thrown at my loving head, getting loving thrown at everywhere. It’s loving bullshit. I’ve lost mad respect for that organization, for that coaching staff, for everyone over there.

[...]

Pitchers out there with loving balls in their hands, throwing 100 mph trying to hit people. And I’ve loving got a bat too. I could go out there and crush somebody if I wanted to. But you know what, I’d get suspended for a year and the pitcher only gets suspended for two games. That’s not cool."

O's fan but Machado is 100% justified in saying this.

I know I am late to this point but I agree with Machado 100% as a position player but also incredibly annoyed at hearing it from an Oriole as they have headhunted blue jays for the past few years throwing at our hitters all the time for having the audacity to be proud dominicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Julio Cruz posted:

Yeah I'm sure a team whose best player is Machado is deliberately throwing at players for being Dominican.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZuPdytlbw

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm not denying that the O's and Bautista don't get along but to claim it's just because he's Dominican is asinine when a) the Orioles' best player is of Dominican heritage and b) Encarnacion is also Dominican and he doesn't have anything near the heat with the O's that Bautista does.

It was a joke. I dont believe it was literally about the fact he comes from the Dominican versus Puerto Rico vs Texas vs Canada. I was just making a joke about its annoying to hear it from an Orioles player because like essentially all teams in the MLB, they also play the bullshit lets try to injure position players using our pitchers game. Even the Jays do it sometimes which I find extremely embarassing. In fact, I wonder if there is a single team in the MLB that has not done a retaliatory HPB (or thrown-behind threat) in the past five years.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I was there at the bat flip. Best moment in Toronto sports history in the past 25 years. It was electric

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Oh no a pitcher was having some drinks on his day off? OH THE HUMANITY.

Also the sending your goons to try and catch him in a lie or intimidate him is loving ridiculous. If my employer sent guys to my house to check on my migraine I'd be looking for a new employer.

Sending some security guys to grill your ballplayer is some creepy billionaire poo poo where you think you run the world

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 9, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Recovered CCTV footage from the Mets security team checking on Harvey at his residence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RfV-D8O7kk

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Inspector_666 posted:

NJ.com has some decent writers on their site, so why not read this wonderful listicle about potential trade targets for Matt Harvey.

Including but not limited to:
-Luis Severino
-Rafael Devers
-Mike Trout plus a throw-in

Also they call him the Millville Meteor again there. I love how years later that is said without irony and no one realizes it was a joke made up by SA.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

loving :lol: at calling pounding shots until 4 am and then missing practice on the day before you're scheduled to start "having a few drinks on your day off." Harvey was certainly supposed to be going over scouting reports and coming up with a game plan on Saturday, but he decided to be a manchild and blow off his responsibilities.

And let's not act like there isn't years of history here, davecrazy's Harvey meltdowns the year they went to the WS were about him skipping/being late for practice.

If you think its appropriate for a billionaire owner to send a bunch of strong armed goons over to "check" on you when you called in sick, I don't know whats wrong with you.

edit: I'm pretty surprised at how many ownership apologists there are this time in the thread. Not sure if its a lot of sour Mets fans or what. This is like chicken - n -beer gate all over again. I'm sure most people in this thread have stayed up too late playing video games and watching anime and you came into work not at 100%. It wasnt like he was doing coke off rear end in a top hat at 6am before a 1pm start. He wasn't even pitching that day. Although I remember the last few times the Red Sox have tried to publicly blackball and embarrass a teammate as he is run out of town, we defended the teammate, not the owners.

We really have no idea if this is a regular occurrence for Harvey or a rare one. Maybe he has done this 1 or 2 in 5 years. Maybe its been three times this year, we really dont know .

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 9, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Poque posted:

it seems possible that perhaps both sides are bad and stupid in this situation

Agreed absolutely

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tony Phillips posted:

When your upside is Willie Bloomquist....

I'd say his upside (and this is like a 1 in 100 chance) is to be able to play like a Travis Snider or Eric Hinske. Passable in LF but not league average defense, and maybe 20hr pop with lots of K's. But it won't happen.

But still, good for him for hitting as well as he is so far. To get those numbers as someone who hasn't played competitive baseball since high school is remarkable.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Thom P. Tiers posted:

His upside is nothing. He's going to be 30 and he's hitting .250 against 20 year olds drafted out of high school.

I agree he probably will either never play a MLB game or never be a positive on a MLB team. My point was he can't make his way up as a super utility guy. There is no way in hell he could play ss or 2b or even 3b. Something that it's required by a MLB team to be carried as 6th infielder as a weak hitter.

He doesn't have the experience, baseball iq, agility, accuracy, etc to ever play middle infield. His only chance is passable defence as a LF with some pop.

But that ain't gonna happen.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

real talk: Jeter was an inverse Tony Romo, sort of. Above average most of the time, came up big when it mattered a lot. He's a hall of famer for sure, but the whole circle-jerk over him is bad. If he had that sort of career anywhere BUT NY, Chicago or Boston (maybe LA), ESPN may request the rights to that specific game, but by no means would they do the hours long circle jerk about him.

Who would have thought trying to shove something in someone's faces as "THE BEST EVAR" would backfire! (*cough* cubs fans *cough*)

Jeter was quite a bit better than "above average". He was a great player and a likable personality for most of his career. He is a surefire HOF'er and although he was never one of the top 5 elite players offensive or defensively during his years, he was still a fantastic player even though his last few yeras would have been better served no longer as a SS and probably 7 or 8th in a lineup.

Thats coming as a Jays fan too.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Gobias Ind. posted:

Ryan Goins is slashing 230/292/368 and Troy Tulowitzki is a really loving good defender. This is a ludicrous take.

Its not the craziest one ever. Goins has hit the ball well in the past few weeks, Tulo has been Tulo since he was traded. Also goins is a better defender. I'd still rather have Tulo, but over the next few years if he keeps sucking at hitting and regresses at D...

I'm starting to think the Rockies knew what they were doing when they traded Tulo away. But I am immensely glad we dont have that piece of poo poo reyes on our team anymore.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Spoeank posted:

this is literally my point

nobody has been unanimous yet. the longer people aren't unanimous, the harder it gets. Mike Trout is the only person who may break through and be unanimous because he might literally be the best player of all time.

Even if he continues with 10 or 15 more years of his current slash line, if he stays with the Angels and retires with only 1 or 0 world series wins, I bet he wouldn't get in unanimously (because narrative)

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Some Numbers posted:

Ask all the people who say David Ortiz should be in the HoF.

He absolutely should.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Goodpancakes posted:

This ridiculous statement can be used to turn a blind eye to every lovely thing in sports including domestic abuse, petty crimes, and worse. Its a dumb argument and you shouldn't abandon an ideal to defend millionaire retired sports personalities.

Wow this is dumb. If you cant see the huge moral differences between domestic violence and doping you might be the biggest autist ever. Saying doping is like beating your wife, is like saying stealing signs is the same as throwing at a guys head.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

Couple pages back but lol at people thinking Bonds should be in the HoF. Sorry, cheaters don't get in. He was a very very good cheater, yes. If he hadn't cheated he would have still been better than 99.999% of players. It's too bad but there's no 'oh you were this good so cheating is ok' threshold

Should Willie Mays be in the hall?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

I've already said that if bonds was never actually caught by the league then he should be fine, but I'll add that the comparisons being made between sterioids and things like amphetamines, spitballs and pine resin are pretty ridiculous.

You have really weird arguments about when cheating is ok and when its not. Are you in pre-law or something?

Also, amphetamines do more for an athletes day to day performance and off day training (especially in a game with a 162 game season) than we can prove steroids do. They are amazing for injury recovery though.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

bewbies posted:

I don't really have any strong feelings either way on the steroid era or bonds in particular but it is really weird how so much of SASMLB seems to think that steroids do not enhance performance in baseball.

I think the problem is the public perception is that steroids alone turn a joe regular minor league player into Mark McGuire, and its simply not true. He might hit an extra 5 or 10 home runs that season thanks to the roids, maybe even 20. But roids alone didnt turn him into a home run beast.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

As a gay jays fan this whole this is getting way overblown and fast. Its all over the radio this morning. I hear that phrase all the time at pro and amateur sporting events.I hear it on my softball team that is half filled with gays, lesbians, EMTs and cops. It doesn't have to mean "lets round up the gays". It was a stupid and hateful thing to say, and I am sure he regrets saying it, but he wasn't saying it with the intention to insult gay people in general. If I remember correctly, Pillar was one of the vocal Jays when they were interviewed a year or two ago about the leafs "everyone can play" initiative supporting gay athletes in pro and amateur sports. He isn't John Rocker. He just said a stupid phrase. I really dont see it any different then if he called the pitcher a little bitch.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It was the last thing my ex heard before he was knocked unconscious after he came out in high school, so the word definitely has a lot more weight to some people than others. I try to at least call people out on it every time I hear it. It's a slur that's way too commonly heard, especially when sports are involved.

Thats absolutely horrible. I am thankful I live in Canada and basically haven't had any real threats of violence because of my sexuality in my life. I still want to make a distinction using a mean word does not neccesarily make an athlete a homophobe. Yes, he needed to apologize and I am sure he feels terrible. I don't think he actually hates gay people based on his other interviews. He is not Curt Schilling or John Rocker though.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pillar's apology was a joke.

“It was immature, it was stupid, it was uncalled for,”

I dunno, he seems sincere to me. He can't exactly suspend himself for a stupid comment in the heat of the moment. I won't be too upset if the team suspends him a couple games.. It doesn't make me not a fan of Pillar anymore as a gay jays fan. I think all of us have said something we regret, and most of us have used a slur that targets a group even if we aren't bigots. I know I said a ton of dumb stuff in high school I regret.

Intruder posted:

Aaron Rodgers seems to be doing fine. Just saying

Also this kinda weird and creepy. I hear this poo poo all the time of people trying to out sports stars and it just seems like you are implying being gay is a bad or shameful thing. Either the guy is gay but isn't public about it (which is ok) or he is straight and this is weird thing to say about him.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Julio Cruz posted:

Pillar is 28. This isn't a high school kid saying something because he doesn't know any better.

If you can't be a fan of an athlete anymore because he said a slur one time , you are going to have about eleven players left to cheer for

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Because he's making excuses about how it's heat of the moment and not who he is. He doesn't acknowledge why it's offensive or even what he said. He's not owning it and explicitly says that it should be moved on from as though he's already learned his lesson.

You don't think being in this competitive moment isn't part of why he said it? You think he calls someone that word if they don't pass the salt at the dinner table?

I bet he doesn't even consider that word go be about gay people just like many don't use bitch to mean about women

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Gobias Ind. posted:

That doesn't make it okay though? It's a perfect opportunity to come out and say something to the effect of "I regret using that word. Locker room talk is no excuse for using what I recognize is a hurtful and damaging slur. I sincerely apologize for using that term and want to use this as a lesson to promote acceptance. No situation warrants the use of that type of language."

e: I agree with you that he likely didn't mean it as an anti-gay thing, but that's really not the point. You are a role model to children and adults alike. Own what you did, explain why it's wrong, and sincerely apologize for it.

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying.

Also about the whole apology being weird. The reporters in the post game weren't aware of him using the slur so the question they asked pillar was about him being fired up. Hence his weird half response.

He is having another press conference today to make a formal apology. Let's see what he says there

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

I'd say thats a pretty good apology. He admits to the wrongdoing and says he wants to do better going forward. He also agrees it has no place in the game today. I hope he gets a chance to do some work with "right to play" organization the leafs are working with about inclusiveness in pro sports.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

That is a better apology but he should still be suspended.

I get he should be suspended based on the principle of the phrase and everything. But they aren't exactly tough on players in general. You can bean people without impunity as long as your team does it first. Hey you might injure or permanently hurt a guy but thats not a suspend-able offence

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Chexoid posted:

You can't tell Aaron Loup to stop being a really bad pitcher, you might as well tell the sun to stop shining.

Loup honestly doesn't have the accuracy to even choose between pitches inside or outside. I dont think he was really trying to hurt Freeman.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

TheFlyingLlama posted:

if a pitcher is so inaccurate that he can't stop from hitting dudes maybe he shouldn't be in the majors?

You'd get rid of like 25% of all MLB pitchers this way

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

your 'if you need to throw at someone tonight make it these guys i guess' toronto blue jays

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/865331372067618817/photo/1

Bats is going to get thrown at, I hope its the" secretly i dont want to hurt you but I have to throw ,behind the back"pitch that a few guys like archer throw now. If its towards his head or ribs and not far away from him or legs, the jays will probably retaliate. So that will get messy quick.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

cis autodrag posted:

You don't have to look in traditional shithead hideouts to find homophobia in the midwest. My wife and I have been called the f-word and the d-word and had random men on the street offer to "gently caress the gay out of us" in supposedly liberal cities like Madison. It's everywhere, going into a macho safespace just intensifies it.

I think the point is that throwing around slurs is such basic "be a decent person" thing that there really is no excuse for leniency. Like someone else said earlier, if you had your worst day at work ever and shouted a word like that on your way to the break room you'd be on the fast track to fired-for-cause city. It's already an intense amount of privilege that a baseball player can do that in a stadium of 40k people broadcast into millions of homes and essentially get a 3 day vacation as punishment. A suspension doesn't even come close to being "harsh".

Maybe an average joe losing his lovely accounting job for one slur is also a bad thing?

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

*to the tune of Complicated by Avril Lavigne*
"Why'd you have to go and just call someone a human being?"

Pillar is stupid for saying that and deserves his suspension. I hope he is actually remorseful and maybe does some extra charity work for a LGBT organization in the off season or something.

His apology today seemed pretty legit. I was way,way more offended by a guy like torri hunter who said calmly during an interview he didnt want gay teammates. This is multitudes less offensive (to me) then that.

Take a look at Pillars apology today and his body language and come to your own conclusions. I see a guy being honest, embarrassed and owning up to his mistakes. He admits to what he said and understands exactly why it was so wrong and inappropriate in the game.He even talks about why he is okay with being suspsened to be an example to the other players this won't be tolerated.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/pillar-embarrassed-willing-made-example/

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 19, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
After Stroman's ding dong last night I almost wish he played for a NL team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I think he has reacted about as well as someone could and I get the sense from the way some of the stuff was worded that the suspension might have been something he offered up and not just imposed by the league or team. I think I can talk to my son about it as a good teaching moment about how good people sometimes do bad / stupid things in the heat of the moment and what defines you is how you deal with it afterwards. I mean hopefully you don't say the stupid thing in the first place but if it leaks out then you own it and do what you can to make it better.

I was pretty impressed with his public apology, it does seem to be pretty genuine and one of the better ones I've heard from an athlete. Hopefully he gets a chance to do some good for a gay charity or maybe join up in the pride parade or something this year.

• Locked thread