Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's hard to hate teams from a city that doesn't really care about sports. I don't like the military worship either, but San Diego has a uniformed military population of like 100,000, so it's a big part of the city's identity.

In the Padres case the military stuff is really just catering to their market more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

John Wilkes Booth posted:

For God so loved the Mets, He gave his one and only son, Tim Tebow, a chance to play in the majors by injuring everyone ahead of him.

The Mets are gonna call up Tebow and bench Conforto to let him play.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dexo posted:

Lmao gently caress the sun times.

Who is this guy? I've seen Cubs fans posting about him on Twitter but I never heard anything about him before.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Tim Tebow is rumored to possibly get a promotion by mid season. If you're wondering how Tim is doing in single A he's slashing .250/.330/.370 for a .700 OPS. I'll give him credit, that's better than I expected but he's also striking out %29 of the time and this is just single A.

That slash line is way better than I was expecting, but I definitely want to see what happens when he matches up regularly with pitchers who can actually command the zone. That Spring Training AB vs Scherzer was a hell of a sight.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

I mean, if I were in Tebow's position I'd certainly work my rear end off. He got into the NFL, a ticket to riches for a good QB, but there's a salary cap and he washed out. He has money, but probably not as much as he thought he'd have hoarded and he's staring at the prospect of probably not being able to totally retire. Even getting to the point of being "that guy who shows up in the outfield of whatever team is gonna suck this year and has a hole in LF" is going to make a difference to his bank account. Baseball is rife with guys who aren't good enough for you to even remember their name, but for you to see them on a visiting team and go "oh yeah, that guy. he was chilling at 2b for us when we sucked 5 years back". I think that might be attainable for him, and if can do that for 5-6 seasons that's a decent amount of money to retire on.

He also gets a paycheck from ESPN for college football commentary which he will still be doing on weekends while playing baseball. That's the most damning part of this in terms of his "commitment" to the sport, and also to the Mets in terms of how seriously they take him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the popes toes posted:

Long time baseball men will tell you that Tebow runs hard out of the box every time, his work ethic is off the charts, has got major league character, a projectable baseball body, a good face, and is a team player that makes everyone around him better. Francoeur is a good comp for him. What is Tebow anyway, is that some kind of French name?

So to sum that all up: "hi butt."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ok but if Schwarber isn't an everyday player...what the hell are the Cubs supposed to do with him? Is he just a pinch-hitter? Is he supposed to get shelved until the WS every year or something?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I am very worried about Tanaka but have no idea about what the hell is wrong with him since his velo isn't down.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

Derek Jeter was a really good baseball player for a long time, I'll see myself out.

This is more true than all of the ridiculously contrarian "Actually Jeter was...very bad!" shitposting that has seized the entire online baseball community.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

but by no means would they do the hours long circle jerk about him.

This is where people are really loving losing me on the Jeter hate train.

ESPN televised a retirement ceremony put on by the Yankees. ESPN didn't retire his number, they didn't put together a show, they didn't put a plaque of him up in CF, the Yankees did. Regardless of how you think Jeter's entire career measures up to another player, the idea that in the Yankee pantheon he's anything less than a legend and the face of the franchise for a decade+ is loving ridiculous.

I'll entertain the HoF arguments (I mean, he is a hall of famer) but when you talk about him going into monument park and say poo poo like "Yeah but Griffey had a better WAR!" you're just outing yourself as a moron.

(ESPN is poo poo and should have televised Griffey's ceremoy too if they didn't.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

I'm annoyed that ESPN favors specific franchises when it comes to sentimentality for retiring players. I get it, Rivera and Jeter are Hall of Famers, but Ortiz, for instance, got a months-long love-fest from the national media while Todd Helton or Paul Konerko got ignored. I won't complain when they focus on Yadi in four years, but it'll be hypocritical of me. If you were a notable player on the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers or Giants then you're more likely to get a ton of attention. Otherwise I feel like ESPN doesn't give a drat.

Oh for sure, but I still don't see how that disqualifies Jeter from having earned his plaque, which seems to be the argument some people are making.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

I didn't say "below average hitter", I said "below average player".

Derek Jeter's WAA:

2010: -0.7
2011: -0.9
2012: -0.3
2013: -0.9
2014: -1.9

Any more questions?

Yet he still put up a 30.4 career WAA. That's higher than Ernie Banks and only 7 below Robin Yount. He's also got a 57.0 JAWS, for whatever that's worth.

Also Honus Wagner had a career WAA of 92.0. :stare:

Julio Cruz posted:

That's exactly my point. Other teams would have cut/benched/at the very least moved down the order a SS that age with that little production, but the Yankees didn't because they wanted him to get 3000 hits to boost his HoF credentials.

What does this have to do with anything?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 15, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Naw man the yankees should have started *checks roster*

Eduardo Nunez!

But seriously, taking defense into consideration when putting together a batting order may be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted here.

I mean, he's right that Jeter probably shouldn't have been hitting in the 2-spot those years but I still fail to see how that reflects poorly on him, he wasn't a player-manager.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

How many other 94 OPS+ players are locked into a top 2 batting spot for 5 seasons?

Yankees with a higher OPS+ than Jeter, 2010-2014:

2010 Mark Teixeira, 124
2010 Robinson Cano, 141
2010 Alex Rodriguez, 123
2010 Brett Gardner, 105
2010 Curtis Granderson, 108
2010 Nick Swisher, 129
2010 Jorge Posada, 115
2011 Mark Teixeira, 121
2011 Robinson Cano, 133
2011 Alex Rodriguez, 119
2011 Curtis Granderson, 142
2011 Nick Swisher, 120
2012 Mark Teixeira, 115
2012 Robinson Cano, 148
2012 Curtis Granderson, 115
2012 Nick Swisher, 125
2014 Brian McCann, 94
2014 Mark Teixeira, 101
2014 Brian Roberts, 87
2014 Brett Gardner, 111
2014 Jacoby Ellsbury, 111
2014 Ichiro Suzuki, 89
2014 Carlos Beltran, 98

Ok but what does his place in the order have to do with Jeter? This is a criticism of Joe Girardi.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

And the Yankees organization in general, yes. My point is that Jeter's HoF case is based on his counting numbers, and the Yankees helped boost those numbers by not benching/cutting him when he was not a very good player any more, and that a non-Yankee Jeter has a much tougher argument for HoF consideration.

I think you're dead wrong about the last part. His WAR and WAA and JAWS numbers are very, very good for shortstops.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Probably because the voters don't just sort by WAA and click button. I kind of do think that "intangibles" should matter for voting consideration.,

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grittybeard posted:

These guys are mostly going away, finally. Other than the ones who are actively covering the sport. So at least there's that.

There is still at least one guy who submits a blank ballot because "journalists shouldn't make the news" or something equally as stupid and self-aggrandizing. So there still won't be unanimous votes for a while.

The 10-vote limit also means it likely won't happen, either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I just got into a discussion about classifying the various balls in play with Ice Fist and I could have sworn there was a recent FanGraphs article about this very issue, specifically the difference between a fly ball, line drive, and pop-up. Anybody know which one I'm talking about?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/864500138953322496

So, does this mean Randy is about to go on a mission to the ISS?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also can we change it so that inherited runners count as .5 towards the ERA for both the pitcher who let the man on base and the pitcher who let him score?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tinstaach posted:

All BBWAA voters should be forced to listen to 50 minutes of BondsChat with the Cespedes BBQ guys, and the ones stll harrumphing about cheating afterwards should have their votes taken away.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMfT2cZGHg

Roids don't matter if you have a .600 OBP without the bat!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666 posted:

So I just got into a discussion about classifying the various balls in play with Ice Fist and I could have sworn there was a recent FanGraphs article about this very issue, specifically the difference between a fly ball, line drive, and pop-up. Anybody know which one I'm talking about?

So I found the article, but I think the responses to the Tweet Jeff sent when he published it are actually better.

https://twitter.com/jeffwzimmerman/status/860222343288934401

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh also here's a Q&A between Jeff Passan and Adam Jones. Definitely check it out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
From the New Yorker:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Walrus posted:

I've already said that if bonds was never actually caught by the league then he should be fine, but I'll add that the comparisons being made between sterioids and things like amphetamines, spitballs and pine resin are pretty ridiculous.

Spitballs and pine tar maybe, but there's a pretty direct 1:1 between amphetamines and roids.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

If the Astros win tonight they'll have the same record the Cubs had at this point last season

When does Astros chat begin, when do the Astros posters come out of the woodwork instead of the same four or five of us :colbert:

Too bad you couldn't have stayed in the NL, now I have to hate you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Mike Fiers and Joe Musgrove a little. Is Keuchel's return to form sustainable?

They are clearly the class of MLB right now though, them or the Nats (whose bullpen is a huge issue right now)

If Keuchel stays healthy I see no reason why he can't repeat a 2015-like line. He's back to doing what he did then.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

He sucked for us after we got him from NYY and I suspect that he is nearly done.

If the Astros continue to own everybody and make it to the post-season, they'd better win it all because Beltran deserves a dang ring.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Why isn't Arrieta pitching like he did in 2015 then? :argh:

Because he's not back to doing what he did back then, duh.

Sorry these stats are too advanced for you. :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wait did they...not score than at error?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Can we stop giving Curt Schilling attention in this thread

And also everywhere that is not this thread too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So what's the contract situation for Kang and the Buccos? Because I imagine they'd prefer to not have to pay him if he's going to jail....

I saw that the sentence is suspended for like, 6 years or something. I would imagine his being unable to re-enter the US must be covered by a clause in the contract though, right?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Patrick Spens posted:

Is anyone calling him MLB's Fred Phelps though? I like Pillar, but he hosed up badly here and needs to be held accountable.

People are saying he should be run out of town, so kind of?

He should definitely be suspended/donate his salary for the missed games. I think what Escobar did when he was in Toronto is worse, but his punishment should be the minimum for Pillar (Escobar got off light.)

elentar posted:

John Amaechi similarly.

There's obviously better gay players in major sports leagues who have gotten the message to keep their mouths shut till long after retirement, or take it with them to the grave.

In conclusion, gently caress sports.

Look at the poo poo that gets said about Odell Beckham Jr. It's nauseating.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice Fist posted:

Honestly I think Bautista's batlfip was dumb because the Jays were losing, but a batflip is basically the football spike of baseball. It's so mundane it's not even worth mentioning.

It wasn't even the batflip that set things off, so much as Jose getting into it with Suzuki at the end. Which, maybe Suzuki was channeling his inner fun police but I would like to think he said something to the effect of "Wow great homer, did you check the scoreboard while you watched it?"

Even Bautista said later that it wasn't really the best time to be dramatic about the flip.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gobias Ind. posted:

For what it's worth, it looked to me like Bautista was actually a little remorseful and explaining himself to Suzuki; not trying to start poo poo. He tapped his chest multiple times in a "my bad" sort of way.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It seemed as though Jose and Suzuki had a diplomatic conversation where Jose was actually trying to diffuse things knowing if he didn't someone was gonna get plunked.

Oh, that's good. All of the reporting I've seen has only had the video of Pillar and pretty generic descriptions of Suzuki/Bautista.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I can't begin to understand why people care so much about batflips. Batflip on everything I say. Foul balls. Singles. Popups. BuntsNever bunt always swing for the fences

Ugh Intruder you can't batflip on everything or you ruin the value of the batflip. :cmon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd actually be ok with bunting if people batflipped after them, especially when it's a good one.

It would be great because the time spent flipping your bat would guarantee every bunt was a sacrifice.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/KPILLAR4/status/865269119192633345

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/865273099478065152

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Here is an example of a good apology for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMz80FKusUA

Did you see Pillar's tweet? What do you think about it? Seems much less qualified than his initial post-game comments.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Pillar has been suspended for two games by the Jays.

EDIT: And his pay is being donated. Escobar's went to You Can Play/GLAAD, I assume that will be the case here as well.

https://twitter.com/gregorMLB/status/865305757318643712

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Look at all these AL fans experiencing the joy of a pitcher dong. It's cute.

See this is the beauty of it though, we get to see Stroman homer but don't have to sit through him striking out looking the other 95% of the time!

• Locked thread