Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Cubs are 13-11 instead of 17-5 like they were last year on the morning of May 1. At least they're still in first place. :toot:

They're 2nd in the NL in OBP, which doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is they're also 2nd in the NL in team ERA. But that's skewed because it's been entirely their bullpen that's been doing all the work. Their starters have an ERA of 4.28. The pen's is 2.87.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ice To Meet You posted:

Supposedly it is possible, as there was a strong wind blowing out that day.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/historic.php?id=1946_2

I love that Glenallen Hill's rooftop shot also made Hittracker's list of historic homers. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wDrw76ieTs

Although I'm pretty sure the longest homer ever hit at Wrigley was by Dave Kingman, estimated 540 feet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vFMwBESelg

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

They were in the World Series literally two years ago

With their young pitching talent, they have nowhere to go but up!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Freeman made comments saying the Miller Park was like a little league field because it had poor lighting and he felt he could never see the ball well. Which is pretty funny.

Bryant said the exact same thing in a recent interview. They asked his favorite and least favorite parks to hit in and he said Miller Park was his least favorite because the lights are really dim and it's hard to see the ball. He said Petco was his favorite (other than Wrigley) because they have super bright lights, which makes it really easy to see the ball. It's funny because Miller Park is generally seen as a hitter's park and Petco as a pitcher's park.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Reminder for the new thread that Pancakes, Inspector_666, and myself will be meeting up in Wicker Park, Chicago, this Saturday (May 6) for lunch. If you're interested in joining us, shoot me a PM.

Bonus points if you can also come up with a good joke that begins with "a Cubs fan, a Cardinals fan, and a Yankees fan walk into a bar". :v:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

i'm 99.999% on Adam Jones' side here, the other 0.001% of me is laughing at his suggestion that the offending fans get fined $30,000

As we speak, our fellow countrymen are rolling the new Kabletown couches off the assembly line, earning an honest day's pay so they can go to the store and buy milk for their families, which costs, I don't know, $90 a gallon?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
At least Sale didn't take a pair of scissors to Machado. Baby steps!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

last night was my first time seeing a balk in person at a game, so that was cool. scratch another one off the ol' baseball bucket list

I've been to probably a hundred baseball games with you and I know I've seen at least 3 balks in person, including last night, so I am skeptical of this.

My weird baseball game list includes going to the game after Darryl Kile died and also the "here comes a pizza" game.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Oh yeah, I also went to the game where Carlos Marmol hit his only major league home run.

And being in attendance at game 7 of the 2016 World Series was pretty sweet. :smugdog:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ego symphonic posted:

I got to go to Stephen Strasburg's debut with my dad.

Poque and I went to Willson Contreras' debut with my dad. It was on Father's Day and he homered on the first pitch he saw. :unsmith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Worst baseball game for me was game 3 of the NLDS in 2008. I was living in Los Angeles at the time and our seats were in the front row of the upper deck. That was a looooong walk to the concourse from the front row through swarms of fans screaming "SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP" directly into my face. :smith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I remember a while back there was a White Sox fan goon who couldn't use his tickets to a game at the Cell because he was stuck at work, so he offered them up in the N/V thread. A Cubs fan goon took the ticket and it ended up being Buehrle's perfect game.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Rizzo: "You don't know what an old fashioned is, that's the thing."

Bryant: "Yes I do, that's my favorite donut!"

Holy poo poo I'm dying.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

IcePhoenix posted:

To be fair, "old fashioned" is in fact a kind of donut, and they are pretty good

Yes, but Bryant is a teetotaler and Rizzo was obviously talking about the drink.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Do you...get piss splashback on your pants???

You can do a funny wiggle
You can do a little dance
But the very last drop
Always ends up in your pants

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Liberal Idiot posted:

I was at Rizzo's first game as a Cub - my wife got me tickets for my birthday long before anyone knew Rizzo would be called up that night. We were way up in Row 9 of the upper deck, which is the very last row at Wrigley. We're getting to our seats about a half-hour before the game starts when I spot Tom Ricketts wandering up and down the aisles. I see a couple of dudebros start talking to him and I notice Ricketts is giving them upgraded tickets! Fighting every introverted, polite Midwestern bone in my body, I shout "HEY TOM IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!" Twenty minutes later we're sitting in Ricketts' section, about three rows behind the Cubs' on-deck circle. Rizzo went 2-for-4 with an RBI. It was a Rizz-mas miracle.

This is awesome. Shortly after the Ricketts bought the team, I had tickets to a game up in the 500's and got to chat with Tom for about 5 minutes. He wanders around the nosebleeds talking to fans quite often. He met his wife in the bleachers at Wrigley "before the tyranny of the two-beer limit" as he likes to say, so I think he's always enjoyed the fan experience.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's actually a pretty great photographer: http://rj51photos.com/

Also his logo is a dead bird, which is unequivocally the coolest thing in the world

He was Rush's photographer for one of their tours.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Who else is excited for the kyle hendricks-starlin castro reunion

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Billy Hamilton has agreed to race Cincinnati Bengals' draft pick John Ross for the title of fastest man in Cincinnati:

https://twitter.com/Enquirer/status/860252321225347077

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Just wanted to say I had a great time hanging out with Inspector_666, Pancakes, and RD Mangles this afternoon. Let's do it again sometime. :cheers:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Don't forget Ice Fist!

I had forgotten his forum name, since he doesn't post in baseball threads.

Enjoy Wrigley! Maybe today's game can feature the Yankees losing in soul-crushing fashion instead of the other way around.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I posted these stats a couple weeks ago, but things haven't gotten better in the first inning for Cubs pitching:
    1st Inning: 11.40 ERA, 2.10 WHIP, 1.157 oOPS
    2nd Inning: 3.60 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 0.756 oOPS
    3rd Inning: 3.30 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 0.750 oOPS
    4th Inning: 3.90 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, 0.783 oOPS
    5th Inning: 1.50 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 0.530 oOPS
    6th Inning: 3.00 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, 0.711 oOPS
    7th Inning: 2.40 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 0.561 oOPS
    8th Inning: 3.90 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 0.689 oOPS
    9th Inning: 4.21 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 0.703 oOPS
:psyduck:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

iospace posted:

So what exactly changed for the Cubs? I don't really follow other team's offseason movements.

Last year, the Cubs' starters had an ERA of 2.94. This year it's 4.64.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Also in the Cubs defense with regards to this weekend, the Yankees are good, or at the very least are real hot right now, so it's not like they just got buried by the Dads or something.

And two of the three games were basically coin flips, both of which ended in the Yankees' favor. It's been frustrating as hell because the Cubs aren't straight-up murdering teams like last season, but they've been able to make just about every game competitive at the very least. The NL Central is full of dogshit teams, so I imagine the Cubs will be able to rise to the top by the time the season is over. Then in the postseason, anything can happen.

Pancakes posted:

That was super fun and you guys are all good people, both for tolerating my request for a vegetarian-friendly pizza and for not breaking my legs for wearing a Cardinals hat.

Hot pizza take: I thought the ricotta/mushroom/garlic pizza was better than the pepperoni/sausage one. It might also be because I love mushrooms and Poque hates them so I rarely ever get a chance to eat a pizza with them.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

It's sad that he's such a downer when it comes to pizza. He's usually such a fungi.

Die.

(I laughed)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

What the? I assume this was something everyone knew about beforehand or was it a sudden diagnosis and surgery?

With most cancer, there is very little time between diagnosis and surgery. The longer you wait, the more likely it is to spread to the lymph nodes and to other parts of the body. Fortunately, testicular cancer is very noticeable, so it's almost always caught early, and it has a survival rate above 90%.

Really hope he recovers and is back on the field asap.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
At least Szczur will probably see a lot more play time in San Diego.

The Cubs just put Heyward on the 10-day DL, so great time to lose a spare OF. :rolleyes:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

NJ.com has some decent writers on their site, so why not read this wonderful listicle about potential trade targets for Matt Harvey.

I would like to offer a slightly-used Brett Anderson

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

chris berman's wife killed in a car crash per nyp

quote:

Both vehicles were travelling in the same direction on a two-lane road when Kathy Berman's car struck the rear of Bertulis' SUV, and both veered off the road, according to the police account of the crash.

So she drove in to other car's backbackbackbackbackback gone. :smith:

The guy she hit died too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

iospace posted:

Do they know why she hit him? Like did he brake suddenly because of something on the road and she couldn't stop in time or?

I got the details from here. It's hard not to be at fault when you're the one rear-ending someone, but the other guy was 87 years old and not wearing a seatbelt, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did something stupid to cause it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Dbacks are easy to hate for several reasons as you noted. Rockies are easy to hate because Coors is an unholy place where baseball players go to die. Every time the Dodgers go to Colorado I live in fear that several Dodgers will be injured there. But yeah, the Padres are generally unobjectionable. Their ownership is tone-deaf and stupid but in a mostly harmless way. I do dislike their aggressive military worship so that's something?

It's hard to hate teams from a city that doesn't really care about sports. I don't like the military worship either, but San Diego has a uniformed military population of like 100,000, so it's a big part of the city's identity.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pff it's only been 31 years without a championship for them. Go another 77 and we'll talk about which team god hates the most.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

Former Rockies top prospect who the Cubs got in the offseason. He has talent but has not shown it yet at the MLB level.

Tonight's line for Butler in St. Louis:

6.0 IP, 2 H, 5 K, 3 BB, 0 ER, W

Later, Brett Anderson! :byewhore:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

N: The Rangers' starters have the 7th worst FIP

V: And the second best ERA

Last year they finished the season 13 games above their pythag. Maybe the Rangers are just very good at being lucky.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Hmm...
Trigger warning for Rangers fans:

Okay I should add the modifier "in the regular season."

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Schwarber missed an entire year of development and is coming off major surgery for a serious injury. What he did during the World Series was so unconscionably ridiculous and no one in their right mind should expect him to maintain that for an entire season, especially for what is essentially his rookie season. His 160 PAs this season make up 37% of his career PAs. He's still a young, developing player. Give him at least another 500 PAs before declaring him a bust.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Other possible headlines:
  • Jeter Jeter Pumpkin Eater
  • Derek and the Domino's Pizza
  • Captain Crunch

Seriously though I'm trying to find any part of him that looks fat in that picture and I can't.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
If Ozzie "Career .262/.337/.328" Smith can make it into the hall while playing in the steroid era, then just let everyone in imo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

He used a secret portal to the Hall only accessible via the Mystery Spot.

His career OPS is .666 so this checks out.

If only Alan Trammell had done a flip once. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is 2017 and we're getting a lackey vs arroyo game

It's actually the second Lackey vs. Arroyo game of 2017 :eng101:

• Locked thread