Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

You may be overthinking this internet comedian's scenario of Barry Bonds playing baseball without a bat

Have you actually watched the video? Because there's no way Jon Bois is just making a joke. He says himself he's trying to be as accurate as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

I like him pitching with a SNES stuck in his hair.

My favorite is the cow who doesn't think Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is a real thing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

patonthebach posted:

I think all of us have said something we regret, and most of us have used a slur that targets a group even if we aren't bigots. I know I said a ton of dumb stuff in high school I regret.

Pillar is 28. This isn't a high school kid saying something because he doesn't know any better.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

I wonder who the NL catcher/pitcher duo was

Jesus Flores and Stephen Strasburg, 5/20/2012, Nats at Orioles.

There's also a game where Brooks Kieschnick and Eddie Perez went back to back for the Brewers against the Twins, but Kieschnick was DH'ing at the time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the most handsome player on your team?

Travis d'Arnaud.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

I doubt he ever plays a meaningful game again. Huge huge bummer

Also a bummer that we owe him several million still

Yeah I think he's done. It's possible he could still DH for a team since his current issue appears to be throwing, but honestly I think he'd retire before asking for a trade.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Jerry Blevins: good at pitching, not good at looking human

he's also 6'6" and 190 which makes him look even less human in person

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
This thread has taught me that YTM and I have very different taste in baseball dudes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/rt_ohio/status/866845996881289216

As if you need another reason to like Joey Votto

"I remember when you used to be good" says the dumbass to the 5th-best 1B in the game.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

5th best is like, a huge understatement. He's #1 or #2.

Going by WAR so far this year. In general, Votto/Goldschmidt/Freeman are the top 3 and there's an argument to be made for any of them, really.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

He is pretty meh defensivly at first base.

Not compared to other first basemen he isn't - currently 2nd in dWAR behind Joe Mauer.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
N: Michael Conforto leads all NL outfielders in wRC+. He isn't on the All-Star Game ballot.

V: the ASG voting process is awful and needs to be updated ASAP.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

1.975 OPS tends to advance you to the next level pretty quickly.

It was the last 5 games of the season. I'm gonna say they were going to move him up to AA the next year however well he hit.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mets enter the bottom of the 9th 6-5 down. Load the bases with no outs. Fail to score.

Mets.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Before the season started no-one though Conforto was going to be an everyday player, let alone a top 5 OF in baseball. There were even some people (me included, my bad) who were calling for him to start this year at Triple A.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'd read a Fat Black Superman comic.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comptroll The Forums posted:

N: In ten starts, Zimmerman has only recorded two quality starts.

V: Should have stuck with Pelfry after all :suicide:

E: is Al Avila just remarkably unlucky or remarkably bad as a GM? Zimmerman, Pelfry, Lowe, K-Rod, Neftali Feliz... Everything he's touched either was poo poo or turned to poo poo. The King Midas of poo poo.

E2: between Sanchez, Zimmerman, Pelfry, Lowe, and K-Rod, Tigers are paying $53 million for poo poo tier pitching. The Brewers' opening day payroll was $63 million.

Sanchez and K-Rod both had (reasonably) effective seasons for the Tigers before falling off a cliff and Zimmermann was a highly valued FA when they signed him, so I'd say the problem is more likely to be in the coaching staff rather than the front office - someone's made an adjustment which has hosed them up and now they can't unfuck themselves.

The Pelfrey signing is squarely on Avila though, he's always been terrible and I don't understand why any team would sign him unless they needed someone to get things off high shelves and couldn't find the stepladder.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If Harper had just run to first then Strickland wouldn't even have been ejected, and if pitchers can throw at people for bullshit reasons and face literally no punishment whatsoever then it's just going to keep happening.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Kyle Schwarber has over 300k All-Star votes :lol:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

He's really super tryhard about being super-hyper-masculine that it sometimes borders on ridiculous, and it always amuses me. From the wild-rear end eyeblack, to the periodic outbursts on the field, to the time he broke a bat bashing it against a wall in a tunnel and a piece came back and hit his eye, to the ESPN body issue, to the time he was instigating arguments with a previous manager... Most of this stuff is small, some of it is not-so-small, and certainly not all of it is objectively bad, but all of it cumulatively is LOL.

How dare a really good baseball player be intense and want to win games, how loving dare he. Not to mention that getting pissy about the amount of eyeblack he wears is :lol: as all hell.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

No see he says abrasive stuff about umpires and opposing players which just makes him so loving cool

Like yeah I get it, he's one of the top 3 baseball players in the majors but SAS gets weird whenever anyone tries to point out that he's been regarded as an immature twat most of his professional career and most people don't really hate seeing someone like that get socked, whether he deserved it or not (he didn't)

The only people I've seen call Bryce out for being immature are hot-take ESPN "analysts" and no-one should give the tiniest gently caress what any of them think.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

No, my post was literally 'There were a lot of tweets saying he had it coming, and a lot of it was from players and not just analysts like SAS likes to claim' but sure keep on swinging at that strawman

Oh, sorry, I'll change "dumb ESPN assholes" to "dumb ESPN and Twitter assholes", that better for you? (since I can't find any player who went on record as saying Bryce deserved it)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Explosionface posted:

Maybe I'm the dumbass here, but since when has the ASG been about performance in the first couple months of the given year instead of a mix of that and the second half/playoffs the year before?

Just for clarification: no, I don't think the Cubs deserve all the spots by virtue of being Cubs. (I just vote that way because I'm an irresponsible fan that shouldn't be in charge of this in the first place)

ASG voting means different things to different people, it's one of the reasons why selecting players by popular vote is incredibly dumb. You've got "best player so far this season", "best player in recent memory", "best player for their career", "player who deserves to be an All-Star at least once", "player who's on my team", etc etc.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Rizzo is literally 10th in the NL in wRC+... Jesus Christ, I didn't realize it was that bad

Freeman
Zimmerman
Goldschmidt
Thames
Votto
Bour
Reynolds
Belt
Carpenter
Rizzo

He'd be 11th if Duda had 50 more PAs (and didn't go into a massive slump during that period).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

They were cowed by Bryce's uber alpha maleness.

He wore too much eyeblack to the hearing so they were left with no choice.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

My only problem is that the 6 game suspension is presumably designed to make him miss 2 starts but since its being given out a day after he pitches probably means he only misses 1. Right? So wouldn't it be better to give him like 8 or 9 just to make sure you cover the rotation?

efb

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

RCarr posted:

I don't disagree the suspension could be a few more games, but I don't see it as some unbelievable malicious act. That's all. He wasn't trying to injure the guy.

Except Strickland doesn't have inch-perfect control of his fastball (as can be seen by the fact that he gave up two middle-middle fastballs to Harper to start this whole loving thing off) so he could easily have missed the hip and got Harper in, for example, the forearm, which is much more dangerous. He might not have been trying to injure him intentionally, but he didn't give a gently caress that it could have been an unintended consequence.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It's a lot more reasonable than the NL, though Castro definitely shouldn't be starting over Altuve.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Categories where Castro leads Altuve:

RBI (by 1)
Batting average (by 2 points)
Singles (by 5)
Strikeouts (by 3)

e: I'll do the ones where Altuve leads Castro but it'll take a lot longer cause there's a lot more of them

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 31, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

e: I'll do the ones where Altuve leads Castro but it'll take a lot longer cause there's a lot more of them

Games (by 3)
AB (by 1)
PA (by 10)
Doubles (by 3)
Triples (by 2)
Steals (by 10)
Caught stealing (by 2)
Walks (by 8)
GIDP (by 6)
ISO (by 34 points)
OBP (by 25 points)
Slugging (by 33 points)
OPS (by 57 points)
OPS+ (by 10 points)
wOBA (by 21 points)
wRC+ (by 17 points)
WAR (by 1 Fangraphs/0.5 B-R)
oWAR (by 0.1)
dWAR (by 0.3)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kirios posted:

You cannot keep putting Kyle Schwarber out there. I understand it's fun to make fun of him and haha, look at that fat man play left field, but he is spiraling downward.

Clearly the answer is to put him where he's most comfortable - behind the plate.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niwrad posted:

I never understood why Schwarber was playing everyday a year from major knee surgery. And why he starts against lefties when he's never shown he can hit lefties. Or why he was leading off so that he came up with no one on and teams could shift on him.

People fell in love with him after his rookie season because a) he hit some massive dingers b) he was really good in a very small number of postseason games c) it's funny watching a fat guy run around in LF. Maddon's kept putting him in hoping that he'll manage to get it going but at this point I think he needs some time in Triple-A to work on his swing and lose some of the weight.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

I'd bet on Dallas Keuchel being the starting pitcher, but yeah. I'll be mad at ASG rules again if a bunch of non-Astros cost us home field in the WS*.

Keuchel will go for sure but I'd be shocked if the AL starter wasn't Chris Sale.

• Locked thread