Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I dated a girl who did the Caribbean but for nursing (lol how bad does that transcript have to be) but I guess nurses are needed so badly that she got a job here in LA at a real hospital in West Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

I was at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) a couple of weekends ago, and there were multiple booths set up with nothing but wall-to-wall "loot" boxes. I'm sure some people enjoy the surprise of finding out what random assortment of tchotchkes they had purchased the rights to, but the idea of paying $30 for $15 (or less) worth of stuff seems inherently stupid.

And yet, I cannot believe how loving excited people get over it.

Slot machines are a hell of a drug

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Industry secret -- nobody really knows what to pay an influencer but we all "know" that we need them. Attribution will get better in the future with some stuff that's emerging and people can use their experience to take a shot at coming up with numbers, but at this moment nobody really knows and influencers should be aggressively stashing cash knowing that this can't last forever because we're all way, way, way overpaying them.

It's us. Awareness campaigns, we're BWM.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

It's amazing how much room there can still be left to purchase goods and services if you just loving budget for savings as a line item like everything else. But no, says the American consumer, I don't want to live like a miser because that is the automatic alternative to instant gratification.

YNAB line item - dumb stuff. Literally, I have an line saving for whatever dumb item I'm going to buy.

People with thousands of dollars left over after necessities every month would also be surprised what a person can buy when they buy one high quality item designed to last decades as opposed to junk.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Like anything, you really have to know the market. Shoes can be very GWM but:

1 - On most retro Jordans, you're maybe making $30-$40 per shoe before eBay fees if you're looking to flip day 1.
2 - If you buy the wrong pairs, you're hosed as some shoe stores won't let you return quickstrike (the name for that tier of rarity/release) releases and now you're sitting on a few hundred dollars of Jordan Raptor 7s or unwanted Foams and taking a loss.
3 - Every person you deal with is some wannabe hustler and thinks of themselves in that way. It's loving annoying. Imagine you had a job that only sold to finance bros. It's kinda like that.
4 - You either need to be really lucky or have a hookup for the real profitable stuff. Tech nerds could've leveraged their Twitter bots in the past, but now all crazy hyped stuff goes through SNKRS app for Nike. Not sure about Yeezys. Those might still be exploitable.
5 - Shoe equity is all reliant on someone somewhere being willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money on rare sneakers, specifically your pair of rare sneakers, from all the other sneakers in the world. Are you willing to be the guy sitting on a pair of sneakers from 2011 and insisting you get your $850 for them that may never materialize?

I'm wondering when the market will bottom out on most of these sneakers the way that the market bottomed out on comics a few years back.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 7, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

You got a lead on a pair of Raptor 7s? The Bordeaux 7s have to be my favorite, but a spare pair of Raptors would be dope.

I actually had a pair I had to sit on for a year in order to get retail on them. Next time those get retro'd, you're going to be set.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah when the shoe market gets reasonably efficient your average resale premium is approximately the minimum wage time cost of going to footlocker and waiting in line for shoes, plus you bear a lot of inventory risk

Yeah, I took a look at some galaxy Nikes from 2010-2011 for fun and there are still people there listing those shoes for $500+. These are the most valuable ones in the line and some dude has been trying to get his $2,500 for two years lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nike-galaxy-foams-size-9-5-/261933074261?hash=item3cfc6d8755:g:J7kAAOSwstxVfX3A

I think people are really stuck on what they "should" have gotten at one point on those shoes and some misconception that everything goes up in price as scarcity theoretically increases. At some point I imagine people's liquidity has to break and everything but the best of the best is going to crater.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Is Lularoe lululemon for poor people? I didn't say "dumb" people as lululemon is pretty dumb despite the high quality on some of their items.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Uterine Lineup posted:

Don't worry that's what friends and family and 3rd cousins are for.

Is telling your family that your entire lottery fortune goes to charity upon death GWL?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

$20 brunch, 52 weeks a year is $1040.

A 2br condo in my area is ~$600,000. Only 120 years away from getting a place not counting inflation! Cut out those daily coffees and we're down to 60 years!

I get what he's saying but survivorship bias and whatnot has to count as well.

Pointing out small budget leaks is certainly not where I'd start when looking at the lack of affordable housing for an entire generation.

VVV: that's not what I said you dolt

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 16, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I used to get so mad that the Clippers had 1-800-LoanMart as a major sponsor. Balmer paid 2 billion dollars for a basketball team and decided that his team could use the extra cash from a sketchy car title loan joint with post-sex-video-pre-racial-slur Hulk Hogan in the commercials. Cool. GWM, BWL.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hope the next huge housing crash causing mass homelessness and debt-induced suicide comes in 5-10 years. Then I can get in on a sweet foreclosure deal.

This but unironically and in like, 4 years.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I can get a car lease with boobs on it?!

Maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89hkmQKx9p4

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Um...

Doesn't the FTC say you need to explicitly mark any tweets you're paid to make? I mean, a Trump could have tweeted about a product out of the kindness of their heart, buuuuuut...

Yes, you have to disclose ads but I've also never seen anybody actually punished for failure to do so.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

The fat guy in the red sweater got paid to endorse something and I'm pretty sure the fine wiped out everything he was paid. Poor fucker never stood a chance.

So he's like a typical lottery winner-- get lucky and then blow it all! Super happy that one of the dumbest people on Earth got lucky and then had it all wiped out. Thank you for this.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

The Wizard of Lies. I laughed so hard when the onimous movie music played when Bernie's wife had the horrifying experience of not being able to get a designer cut and color.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I read an email like that once from a hippie-like emotionally unstable coworker who had worked maybe two years straight of crunch time and had real drug addiction problems and eventually up and left one day to go live in some commune.

So, uh, good luck kid. Hope you find a doctor sooner than later.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Whenever someone in my life mentions MMM, this is the article I link them.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/06/23/how-to-carry-major-appliances-on-your-bike/

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Considering the social stigma with bad teeth in America, braces might be the best investment a parent can make in their child's future.

After hitting a point in earnings, paying for parking / valet / toll roads / etc... is also extremely GWM on many occasions, especially on dates and such when there are other people to consider other than one's self. Basically, any time you can trade a small amount of money to buy time-- especially when the ceiling on amount of time is unknown-- is best with money.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

theHUNGERian posted:

- A closer friend, who lied about the death of her father so she could have some extra time to pay her tuition. After getting her masters, she got a job she didn't want to talk about. So one of her friends followed her one morning to find out that they did not have an actual job, she just sat in a lobby.

As an Asian, is the most Asian thing in the world.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

He had to stand in a line. Being a tech bro, I do believe his outrage at standing in a line is genuine. The year 2017 and we haven't innovated out the line yet!?!?! He got mad at a Chipotle and decided to open a grilled cheese restaurant.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's my co-worker's boyfriend.

I don't think he is anymore. He quit to do the police academy, but didn't get in. He's been doing part-time security work, the National Guard one weekend a month, and refereeing kids soccer on the weekends.

He interned at Enterprise for a year and a half. It was a paid internship, though.

(He and my coworker are the ones that bought a house with 3% down because "the monthly payments are only a little higher than renting for more space.")

Didn't a police force sue for the right to hire people of below average intelligence because it helps their retention rate?

How bad does a person need to be in general to not get in?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Why doesn't fiction PhD guy write the new great American novel-- a story about a guy buried in student loans that he can't possibly get out from under so he tries a bunch of ill-fated gimmicks and eventually either gets randomly lucky and accidentally falls into cash or he dies in an illegal crawlspace apartment in poverty.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

It's San Francisco.

A friend of a friend joined that org and suggested they A/B test some price increases on some games to determine if fans were price sensitive. Fans were not. The guy suddenly became the $10M man because he thought to raise prices. People in that city just don't give a poo poo.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

People lease smartphones now. The industry wants leasing a phone to be the standard.

Sometimes I think about all the money that goes into the finance vacuum instead of buying more stuff that actually exists and get really sad. But a paradigm shift where people stopped financing dumb stuff would require a complete overhaul of humanity so that's not happening.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Is there that much risk they want to unload when someone's paying their monthly bill with the built-in phone subsidy? Or I guess they just want all that cash up-front?

They realize they're in this for the long haul, right? Seems better to just have the revenue, especially if they still have to process the payments and manage the customers. I guess the devil's in the details and I'm too ignorant (and practical) on the subject to figure out how their wall street math works.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

No, cruises won't allow you to bring your own booze. Like, they search your bags for bottles of Scope mouthwash with the cap already opened and the contents replaced with vodka. There's a whole market in fake bottles to slip past gate agents and even those get caught regularly according to a friend who has tried it multiple times.

You can buy a bladder that goes down your leg and hide all your booze in there. That's pretty GWM and your toddies come out warm and toasty.

I was allowed to bring booze on an Antarctica cruise, but that trip is so BWM that the cruise operator didn't care. They even charged like normal city prices for booze at the bar!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

curufinor posted:

Yeah, all the vocational stuff is taught in a nice modern way in, say, Korea. In America, there is still, i think, a literal plurality who teach kids checkbooks and not anything online and useful.

To get to the Korean state of things, you just have to spend as much and get as much as the Koreans. A majority of middle class Korean families with a kid spends more on education for that kid than on food. That, along with enough misogyny such that the smartest women go on directly to the teachers colleges, is what makes that work. The Finnish should probably be copied instead on the teachers colleges front.

I mean, they also do the spend more on education than on food thing in NYC, the South bay, Fairfax and environs, and various other upper middle class and rich places, but even lower middle class Koreans spend that much.

Do the better schools have better saving face classes? That seems to be the most important thing to learn in Eastern business.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

People try to make money off app jobs because they're desperate and may otherwise be unemployed. Its a job you're basically guaranteed to get and those firms all have marketing dollars to convince people it's a good idea.

The only app I feel guilt free using is task rabbit as the fees are high enough that I assume people are getting s good deal working on it. The rest are all miserable. What are the chances my uber driver sleeps in his car? 10%? 5%?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

quote:

My parents are hard working people but they sure don't have the money that a fancy government job does.

I initially pulled out this quote as proof that the racist dad credit card post was fake, but then I realized this could really go either way in our post-parody world.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

The Rural Towns article reminds me of a time when I was protesting and some person in some mediocre sedan rolled up next to me specifically just to tell me to get a job. It was a Saturday. I told her I had a job and it was better than her job. She looked at me dumbfounded and repeated "get a job."

In that WP story, the Blue Ford Focus lady, an obvious master of capitalism, yelling at dumb unsympathetic idiot. Truly worth everyone's energy.

People who get mad at signs are between 50% - 200% worse than actual sign holders. I can't imagine making a stupid social media post about a panhandler. I guess people just really want attention, outrage, and self-satisfaction over garbage and Jaguar guy hit the lottery.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 25, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Motronic posted:

This is totally how you win dude. Do you have a zine I can subscribe to?

Not right now. I was outsourcing the production of them and a bunch of freeloaders quit on me so they could go on disability.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Devian666 posted:

Saying something reasonable like that is the same as being a neo-nazi apparently

I assume she lives in LA and I can say that 8% home price increases YoY can make any discussion of homes a triggering event. I'm just 9 years away from my down payment =/

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I know of a few women who shared the same tax preparer / accountant and he deducted stuff I would consider insane, like anything that would be considered "grooming" since women have to keep themselves attractive in the workplace, and I assume they all got lucky in that they were never audited (yet). People called him "the shady tax guy" or something to that effect so people even knew it was wrong, though I could never get a handle on whether he was strongly bending tax law or outright disregarding them. So, I guess people just really like rolling the dice to save like $500 a year and so long as they dodge scrutiny, in their mind it's all good.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

canyoneer posted:

$17k on board game kickstarters :stare:

Bargain Hunter - $70

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You gotta call him and see if you can convince him. I tried, but apparently it's a "good one" and he wants to have it on hand later when he "goes back to bread."

He's not gonna go through the return process.

He's going to be real sorry when he only has 2017 bread making technology when the iBread XIII comes out next year.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Fighting Marvel's lawyers (AKA Disney's lawyers now) seems very, very BWM.

I don't know how it is now, but around 10 years ago Marvel's legal department was seen as a "profit center."

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I went to a cheap state school, so I don't understand donating to an alma mater.

Do schools keep track of that or something? Is there some value beyond what the person emotionally receives by donating? If it's +EV, then ok. Otherwise, how loving stupid do you have to be to donate to an elite institution that already has billions of dollars in financial instruments spitting free money at them?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

NancyPants posted:

What Living on $100,000 a Year Looks Like

I had some sympathy for the woman with the medical bills because I know firsthand how they can overwhelm even amazing finances, but then it was "sometimes we have to give up our cellphones!" and "me and my husband haven't had Christmas in 10 years!" I don't know if these people are all just horrific or if NPR did them absolutely no favors. The portrayal of almost every single one is that they are in over their heads because they're trying to keep up with the Joneses.

This guy, though, I want to grab him and scream in his face. He's totally missed the point that even if you don't have pile of money to swim in after your needs and (I'm certain) a generous number of your wants are covered, you're still better off than the half the country. Like maybe if you didn't want the focus of your life to be your 5 children, and you wanted new kitchens and cars all the time, don't have 5 kids?

Yeah, I want to see their budget and figure out which BWM life decision hit them the hardest. There aren't a lot of them IMO which can gently caress your numbers up at $100K level:

Kids
Drugs
House / Too Much House / Unaffordable City
Medical Bills
Bad Education Choices
Keeping Up With the Jonses

I get that kids are expensive and gently caress medical bills, but a person must make many bad conspicuous consumption choices every month to not live comfortably at or near $100K. At that wage level, a person literally has thousands of dollars of disposable income a month. The complete lack of perspective at that level shows how pathetic people are.

On a similar note, I wonder how many individual budget crisis could be answered with a "get a roommate, you idiot" campaign in America's cities. Yeah, you can be 40 years old with a roommate. It doesn't matter. People's opinions don't matter. On the coasts, it's basically the equivalent to getting a part-time job for little to no extra work.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 3, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm not an econ nor do I make most of my decisions like it but I think it's a really useful exercise to think about the pitfalls inherent in this kind of decision making!

Agreed. I enjoyed that post and it was a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Most left-leaning stupid pseudo-health practices have little to no downside besides wasting large amounts of money, so I'm really happy about this raw water one and the suffering that will come with it.