Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moneyball posted:

I'll have more information soon. I'm not trying to be cryptic, I just don't have all the details myself.

Okay well I have a comfortable income and poor financial decision-making skills so count me in when it's ready :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spog posted:

He/she/it - a choice of three pronouns.

People are never 'it', even conditionally. C'mon you don't gotta be lovely about this too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Droo posted:

Based on my anecdotal experience, this would result in someone stealing all the money and disappearing like 90% of the time.

I'm actually very interested in this project. I'm not rich at all but a not-insignificant amount of my income (after bills and savings and stuff ofc) goes to helping friends and friends-of-friends and friends-of-friends-of-friends in crushing poverty make rent/pay small fines to get their car back/etc. And I'd really like to see if these kinds of actions could be organized effectively to both pool larger amounts of money and reach more people (while somehow still excluding scammers).

e: Is there a group brainstorming it already somewhere, or are we still waiting for the main thread or w/e?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just put all the money in bitcoin and then use that one tool to break the key up among 5 people so it requires at least 3 of them to agree to access the wallet, nothing could possiblye go wrong!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Koalas March posted:

I'm going to make a new thread soon.

Ah ok, PM me or post a link in here when you do please :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

baquerd posted:

Poors are almost universally BWM because they have failed to grasp the skills necessary to grab onto the income side of the income/savings/investing equation. Understanding the basics of how to live a non-poor life is going to be highly correlated with not living a poor life. Unfortunately, there are a ton of social cues and other things holding poors back from wider acceptance in white collar jobs. Being poor by itself is not a huge contributor, it's a lack of skills and understanding of societal roles.

So wait are you saying people are poor because they don't understand how to make money better

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

baquerd posted:

If we define "poors" as those not making much money, then that's drat near a tautology, unless you want to claim that poors don't want to make more money.

Yes it is a tautology that's why I pointed it out, to mock you cuz you're real dum

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motronic posted:

I think the reasonable version of this is that "poor" people are sometimes poorer than they would otherwise be due to lack of financial education/role models. It's something that exacerbates the problem.

We've already covered how expensive it is to be poor. Some more financial literacy would help with some but certainly not all of this.

I don't think that's what he's saying though, because he explicitly mentioned "income" a bunch, to the exclusion of "savings and investment" and talked about skills to get more money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I work as a programmer and then come home and ritually sacrifice goats to the ancient gods. Typical!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We had this one substitute teacher in highschool who was apparently a regular teacher who got a hot tip about the dot com bubble from a friend and made millions and now just substitute teacher'd when he was bored. We got to see his fancy rich guy car which was fun.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Probably the number one cost component of all those drinks is liquor sin taxes and the implied expense of owning a liquor license. Why Americans generally put up with having the piss taxed out of alcohol and just shrug our shoulders and say well I guess a cocktail costs $13, is really beyond me.

It's basically the only kind of tax that can get passed anymore because you can only tax The Bad People Who Deserve It

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Apparently homosexuals don't pay taxes because mixed drinks at gay bars are wicked cheap.

It's part of the Gay Agenda, don't tell anyone :ssh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Um

Not clicking that

I initially read it as exploding dong dot com slash horsecock which is even worse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

I bought a used 1983 23' sailboat. I think at least some of the sails are still original. Most of the equipment on the boat was when I bought it.

I don't sail and I stay in fresh water so :getin:

(Total cost of ownership about 4K/year, still terrible with money; do never buy boats)

Why did you buy a sailboat if you don't sail, just to say you have one?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm "Restrictions: I want to start a business"

e: Wait no I'm "I started two e-commerce companies but couldn't even launch them"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

What a moron. That is an impressive rapsheet of stupid decisions.
His goal is to pay back those loans in 3 years, so he wants to put $10k/mo towards them.
He could have done that on a doctor's salary, had he actually finished.
Then he could have stopped being a doctor to go live his dream of being a junior software developer for a healthcare company.

I have a hunch that he got to the residency part, went "wait you mean being a doctor involves interacting with people?!?" and ran away screaming, hence the second choice of computer janitor

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

some investments (hardware for investing in digital currency)

"investing" :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/75ko8c/need_advice_about_whether_to_file_a_complaint_for/
Need advice about whether to file a complaint for unethical behavior by a nurse (self.legaladvice)
submitted 20 hours ago by grumpyterrier

A home health care nurse preying on a vulnerable population to sell $80 lipstick

And you killed the thread's collective boner with a super depressing one, thanks :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh I missed that, even better :laugh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

We've all been waiting for it to crash since it hit parity with the dollar and it just doesn't seem to be happening. I think at this point the only thing that will kill it is if it somehow becomes worse for money laundering or transferring funds across borders.

? It's crashed several times since it hit parity with the dollar, each time more hilarious than the last. People are sure that it will crash because it crashes all the time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sokani posted:

Bitcoin has surged in popularity and price because people believe that block-chain technology is useful

I'm pretty sure Bitcoin has surged in popularity because it has a big number attached to it and people hear things like "1000% return per year!!!" and their brain just kinda turns off.

Blockchains are a whole different can of worms though that has basically become so diluted as a buzzword that companies are claiming any kind of database is a "blockchain," or that anything can be improved by adding one (with bizarre results like dentacoin). In reality, the technology has been around much longer than bitcoin in the form of Merkle trees, which do have their uses but which aren't the magical panacea everyone's selling blockchains as.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Almost every single altcoin is launched by people mad they didn't get in on the bitcoin/ethereum ground floor. The best ones are where they pre-mine a ton before launch and just sit on it.

That's pretty much all of them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a messed up horse posted:

pr0zac is right and Moneyball is being an rear end.

Just gonna throw my hat into this inevitable mass probation ring too.

John Smith posted:

It would severely weaken his position. Backing down when first challenged can be played off as reconsideration. Backing down to threats after firmly stating refusal, can only be weakness.

Man you got a real hosed up idea of how people work buddy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

John Smith posted:

My point was that pr0zac is stupid to issue orders to Moneyball, when he has no means to coerce Moneyball into obedience. How the hell is he going to enforce his will on Moneyball?

John Smith posted:

Moneyball, stop editing my poo poo unless you edit your enemies as well.

:thunk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I can't believe this needs explaining but I don't think anyone here considers anyone else to be their "enemy." Moneyball seems like an alright person and like most people they sometimes do lovely stuff. I would really appreciate it if they were to apologize for the lovely stuff instead of doubling down on it but I'm not like, demanding that their modship be stripped from them and they be forever driven from the forums in shame. If you can't recognize that people are more complex than "sides" or "enemies" I really don't know what to tell you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TTerrible posted:

John Smith do you approach all interpersonal communication as if you're trying to stare down a wild animal?

I mean, it would explain a lot honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

shut the gently caress up, backing down when you're wrong is an intelligent and humane thing to do you face-obsessed lemur

I just remembered that John Smith is a perfect star child that has never made any mistakes in his life, no wonder he thinks the only reason people would change their position is due to threats and not, you know, self-reflection