Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So is there an investment vehicle I can dump a bunch of money into that will pay out big once canada's housing bubble inevitably pops and ruins the entire economy again, might as well make money off it since it's so glaringly obvious :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

The implosion will be isolated unlike the subprime crisis, until we find out Citibank and Bank of America are balls deep in Vancouver area condos.

Meanwhile from what I understand New Zealand has a bunch of global investment now because it happened to come out of the financial crisis without being affected too much and if there's one thing banks love it's the proven fact that past performance definitely indicates future results, so when their bubble pops it could easily be amplified globally a ton.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I had someone pull a really awkward BWM power move during the hiring process yesterday.

- This guy got the job
- We made him the official offer with the same salary posted on the job posting
- This is a government job, so legally we can't pay him much more than we offered (we could have paid him a little bit more, but they always leave room for cost of living raises so that they don't need to deny people raises or reclassify them)
- He knew the salary going in. (it was about $35,000 a year; the cap for his title is about $39,000 per year)

He said that he had to "politely decline the offer because I need at least $50,00 a year."

Our HR person told him that they legally can't pay him that much and the offer is $35,000 (which is 135% of median salary for the position)

He said, "My mom always told me to know your worth. I know my value and I know my skill set. I'm afraid that I am going to have to decline. I appreciate your time. You can get in touch with me if you change your mind. Thank you."

They hired the 2nd choice an hour later.

Today, he called our HR rep back to ask if they had reconsidered their offer and that he would go down to $40,000 a year (still higher than the max allowed for the position) and take the job.

When they told him that it had already been filled, he asked them to reconsider and that he would take the original salary and to please not do this to him.

It was painfully awkward.

How old was he :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Asking about potential openings when a company isn't actively hiring (to your knowledge) is actually smart.

"Does it say the opening on the website? No? Then why are you bothering me about it rear end in a top hat"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:siren: Personal Anecdote I am so sorry :siren:

At my old company, I sat in on an interview where the hiring manager asked the female applicant, "This job probably won't be worth it to you if you are going to take any significant time off in your first 3 years. Do you plan on having kids any time soon? "

Applicant: "I... don't think you're supposed to ask that kind of question."

Manager: "I did, though. Do you have an answer?"

Applicant: "I don't want to answer that"

He did not hire her. Eye opening though to see how the law doesn't actually do poo poo when people can just do whatever they want anyway.

Why the gently caress didn't you slap him and tell HR immediately

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Neighborhood is frequently a pretty good way to figure out someone's national origin and sometimes their sexual orientation, smugass. If you're a bigot, you're not allowed to burrow around for the bigotry fodder you're looking for. Any questions you use to do that are wrong and will be evidence in the case against you.

Really because I'm pretty sure that's used to do exactly that all the time with zero repercussions since it's basically impossible to prove discrimination even when it happens directly let alone via sly loopholes.

Like it's not right and you probably shouldn't do it if you're at all a good person but it'd be super hard to prove if it went to court.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dick Nipples posted:

Asian markets are great places to get cheap produce. WSJ or NYTimes had a good article not too long ago talking about the economics of why Asian markets have cheaper produce (reduced overhead, minimal marketing, etc).

I buy the bulk of my veggies from the Asian market around the corner from my house. I rarely pay more than $2/lb for stuff.

EDIT: When I say $2/lb I mean that's the high end. Most stuff is $1.29/lb or less.

The ones I go to tend to only have asian-y produce that you can't get at regular grocery stores like those anime leeks, do some of them have a full produce section?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dick Nipples posted:

I think it varies. The one near me has a pretty good selection - I live in the more diverse part of the city so there's a high concentration of Asian, East African, and Hispanic shoppers.

On the other hand - in the area near where I work, there's a high concentration of Chinese and Japanese people so the two markets over there cater to Chinese and Japanese tastes.

Full Disclosure: I'm half Chinese and 60% of my veggie intake is anime leeks.

Yeah now that i'm thinking about it my parents have one near them that's an "ethnic grocery" which just seems to mean asian grocery that also sells some hispanic stuff and it has a pretty good produce section, I kinda thought it was just unusual about that but I guess not

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bad With Money 2.0: I wasn't satisfied until I had lost a thousand dollars

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Star Man posted:

If you're going to be bad with money, might as well go ham and buy dinosaur bones or have all of your pipes made of gold.

Are there any celebrities or rich people that spent their money on a giant death laser or something neat like that because you're not really living until you have a giant death laser

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I love beer and weed but voodoo donuts is like if someone let my 4 year old nephew go hog wild with his "designs" on a box of assorted donuts (we have a chain out here in Portland Cowboy Edition). One of their offerings is literally a creme-filled donut with bits of Capn Crunch slathered on the top.

Marketing haphazardly-thrown together desserts to the drunk, stoned locals and tourists is very GWM, come to think of it

It's almost like Portland is full of adult children or something :crossarms:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Pretty sure the cannon part was part of his wishes but his estate wasn't able to do it for some reason, hence Depp stepping in. Don't know about the gala part.

Yeah he left explicit designs and instructions for the cannon he wanted to be launched out of, dictating its design (a hand gripping a peyote button, the extended middle finger was the cannon barrel) and exactly how it should fire, but he didn't have the money to actually do it when he died so Johnny Depp, being a long-time friend, did it for him :unsmith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Doctors' offices are very bad with other people's money. Actually almost everything about health care is BWM.

Wife went in with knee pain from running. They say "We really want to give you an MRI, but the insurance companies usually want you to get an x-ray before they authorize that. We'll give you an x-ray even though there is basically no chance it will show us what the problem is" so they send her down the hall to get an x-ray. I asked how much the x-rays would cost and nobody had any idea. I called the insurance company and they said "nope, no need for an x-ray, you can get the MRI". So we cancel the x-ray and they schedule an MRI at a nearby hospital. After an hour on the phone somebody at the hospital is finally able to tell us the MRI will be $800. Call a clinic in the suburbs and they agree to do the same drat thing for $300. So office is basically screwing everyone who they refer for an MRI out of $500 for no reason because they don't check the prices. And nobody in the entire industry will ever tell you the sticker price of anything without a fight.

To be fair a lot of insurance is really loving picky about MRI's since they're more expensive than other scans, but yeah that's bullshit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah he managed to gently caress up the tried and true bitcoin formula by taking all the money and not running away with it, instead sinking it into the obviously worthless business of "meme penny shavings tip bot."

Also he somehow had employees to pay :psyduck:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

It reminds me of one of the ways I make a billion dollars relatable to people. Imagine one of the most expensive cars you can own, a new Lamborghini at around $400,000, which is as much as people's mortgages if not several times that.

You drive it for a week. At the end of the week, you push it off a cliff.

You could do it again the next week, and the next.

You could do it every week for forty eight years and still have enough for four more cars.

It's an insane amount of money. Like the guy that lost multiple briefcases of money and rolled his tricked-out van, to lose that much in a lifetime you'd have to have "spent the rest of it foolishly."

(Yes yes taxes and interest and inflation and yadda yadda it's an illustration ok)

The Koch brothers have enough money that they could spend their entire lives partying with the best champagne and personal chefs and finest hookers in a different exotic location every day, including the goddamn space station, and still leave an inheritance large enough for their entire family line to do the same thing for at least 10 generations to come.

They instead spend their time and money on making more money and convincing poor people to vote in ways that get them more money at the expense of basically everything else.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 12, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How did a 19 year old get $55k to piss away in the stock market to begin with...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Is extra bad and stupid that OP somehow lost 70% in the middle of a rally where the S&P 500 gained 15%

Penny stocks: worse than doing nothing (TM)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

The CURED List!
An area for those whose drinking is down to safe levels to announce their success and talk about any issues they encounter in their ongoing journey.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Scudworth posted:

What happens if someone with clinical depression stops taking their meds? What happens if anyone else with a mental disorder stops?

Mental disorders are generally only managed, not cured. Source: my brain

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

The house itself is not very nice though, they didn't have enough money to build a driveway or any other external features - it's literally a house in the middle of a dirt lot.

:psyduck:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How the hell do you spend over half a million dollars on a house and not build a driveway :psyboom:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I looked it up and it's specifically the gas released when teflon is heated above 300C / 572F, which is also toxic enough to humans as to cause flu-like symptoms, but birds' respiratory systems absorb stuff from the air much more readily and so wind up dead from something that would just make a human kinda sick. Truly the horses of the sky.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

I can't tell if you're just loving with us or not

Teflon isn't even 100 years old and that's clearly just the canary in a coal mine thing but with cookware

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just so you know I'm pretty sure this falls under "BWM story in which you only play a bit part" which is explicitly allowed by the new rules, and also this is a pretty good BWM story anyway :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tomie knows me posted:

Am I reading that story right that the manager committing wage theft didn't get fired?

Because of course they didn't.

If it were the private sector he would be the one getting the award instead, I'll take what I can get in trump's america :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just talked with my coworker about his friend who just signed on a 5br massive house. "But they were paying $2000 to rent a 4br house already so this is cheaper!" Okay whatever, this doesn't sound too bad, until friend says "I hope they have better luck this time." "What's that mean?" "They bought an even bigger house before and had it foreclosed on a year later"

Oh.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I love that "we were able to earn their mentorship" part, like they were being all coy and playing hard to get with their pyramid scheme :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The wannabe investor bro coworker was just here talking about how he "wasted" $300 on tickets for some show for his girlfriend's birthday. "Brah it's such a loss, if I had put that into an index fund..."

Technically good with money (though he'd make like, what, $20-30 after a year tops?), very bad with girlfriend

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

The insurance industry plays out eerily similar to an MLM for the agents at the bottom. Most are not able to support themselves with sales and there is a lot of turnover for this reason. At least with insurance they aren't able to go into debt filling their garage with shampoo and thus wash out pretty quickly if they aren't good at sales and/or recruiting.

I'm pretty sure a garage full of shampoo wouldn't wash out quickly :rimshot:

e: wait I got your statement backwards and now my joke is even dumber ugh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's the combination of selling a possible-sounding dream and that dream being sold by best friends who you already implicitly trust anyway that makes them so insidious imo. "I mean Frank and Jan are doing it and they are certainly looking [like they're trying super hard to be] happy with it, and it sounds reasonable to me you just sell things right! After all, I've known them for years why would they get me into something if it weren't good?"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Also, people just plain guilting friends/relatives into buying it from them to "support" their "business". So much of it literally is that simple.

My mom's always recommending me hand creams from hers but she insists on paying for them herself if I want them. Mom you're doing it wrong.

Also they're like $70 for an absurdly tiny tube of what amounts to just hydrocortisone cream and I wouldn't put it past them to skimp on the hydrocortisone too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Combine these two ideas and make custom woodwork computer cases.

I had a friend that did this once, made it look like a fancy 70's console thing too, it was very pretty.

To make this more thread-relevant, here's that idea but made very BWM:

http://kotaku.com/this-wooden-box-is-a-gaming-pc-1791091884

If you look closely you'll notice that the motherboard isn't even flush with the back and the sides don't line up quite right :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Can I get my kids designated as Emotional Support Animals so that I don't have to buy a seat for them and they can just lay on the floor by the seats or something? That's where they end up most of the time anyway.

They're smaller than a miniature horse.

I'd think you'd still have to get the turkey a ticket, planes are always stuffed so the airlines would definitely bawk at free tickets gobbling up all their supply and you'd get roasted by the other passengers if they found out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

To be fair I mentioned the turkey story and my stupid turkey puns to my wife and she just said "turkeys don't bawk that makes no drat sense :colbert:"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Man we are going to have such a bad global recession when all the different exponential growths collapse at once under their own weight it's gonna make 2008 look quaint by comparison

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone filled out a reimbursement form for travel and turned it in to HR today.

They had to call them up because his reported miles were 147 on a trip that should be about 90 miles.

Apparently, he drove an extra 57 miles (about 28 miles each way) to go to a gas station that had gas at 11 cents per gallon cheaper to try and save the agency money.

I was all ready to make a dumb excuse like that the last time I had to track travel time and wound up going out of my way for something stupid but since my company was just billing another company for everything they didn't ask why my 60 minute drive mysteriously took 90 minutes or why I parked in the really nice expensive parking garage right at the airport terminal that charges like $15 a day for a whole week :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

But that makes no sense, you get mileage or gas, but not both? Like if he rented a car for it he could expense the gas, but then there would be no need to report mileage?

Edit: I mean padding mileage is what was happening, but it is one of the dumbest excuses I've heard.

When I did it I was reimbursed for miles traveled (for 'time and wear on the car' or something) and a tank of gas separately but i'm pretty sure that's because we were exploiting that other company so :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Robots and Uber.

Robots are Japan's answer, so we'll see how they manage it and adopt the good 'non-killing grandma' parts for our own old people.

Uber because people can survive much longer in their own homes as long as they have someone bring them food and take them to doctor's appointments. My mom would be in assisted living right now if I didn't live 15 minutes from her and have the time and wherewithal to bring her food and take her places. Technology should make day-to-day old people care less expensive as time goes on because they have universal health care and will be able to afford the extra help.

Speaking of that and BWM (and also horribly creepy), for only $2700 you can now get your very own anime hologram waifu to pretend your single salaryman life isn't crushingly void and empty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcKaNqfykg

Japan will have a birth rate of 0 by 2025, calling it now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Please stop it with the "wacky Japan" stories. Hey i heard you can go to shooting ranges in the US and fire machine guns at a photo target of your choice, how bout that incredibly violent and murderous everyday society over there amirite?"

Also Japan already has a net birth rate of less than zero, but they are scared to death of using immigration to bolster the numbers because a long list of worthless stereotypes they hold about filthy foreigners.

Stop being wacky then, because this is real fuckin' wacky. Also making fun of the US doesn't bother me because I, a US Citizen, agree that the US is a horrible third-world hell country that needs to be destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Papa John Misty posted:

That commercial wasn't wacky, it was heartbreaking. That dude is going to commit suicide.

Yeah I know but Weatherman seems to have interpreted that as wacky so I responded the same :shrug: It is a very depressing $2700 product.