Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I mean then you are setting land speed records on your trains while your henchmen fight off boarders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

lampey posted:

And you have to recapture all that depreciation. Unless you are in the highest tax bracket you are not saving any money on depreciation. So even if you are making a small amount each year you will have a tax bill due when you sell

They could 1031 exchange into another property if they are in the US, then when it finally passes to your heirs, the cost basis steps up and they can start depreciating the asset anew or sell it without capital gains.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

High urban housing costs are generally more of a political issue than a problem with construction costs.

Once you build out to the limits of sprawl, the only way to add housing is density, and if you can't go up or put more units per acre, you get more expensive housing even if you can get a free mobile home for any vacant lot.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ixian posted:

I have this conversation with some friends (and posters in this forum) occasionally...usually after they find a book like this or they just read Rich Dad or whatever for the first time. If "early retirement" means "I want to gently caress off and play video games, or raise ferrets or <x> thing for the rest of my life" I roll my eyes. If what they really mean is achieving financial independence so you are not beholden to a W2 job at a company that really doesn't give a gently caress about you despite monthly "we're all a TEAM" emails from HR to the contrary, that is a noble enough goal, but think it through. Doesn't mean you wouldn't work for said company, just that you wouldn't spiral out in to homelessness if bad times come your way.

Usually it is the former. Which is usually a fantasy to distract from the day to day, is all.

This puts my thoughts on the matter into a more articulate form.

I don't think I could handle actively not accumulating more. Like, the thought of selling stock and travelling feels like I would lose too much career earnings ramp up to make me feel comfortable doing that, with a similar feeling towards ceasing to accumulate just as it becomes self-sustaining.

Also this is the BWM thread so I have to talk about a family friend who has their lake home torn up for the summer when they could have started the remodel after the 4th and gotten all the construction workers for cheap when it is winter and no one has any projects going.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Horse brought to water, would not be compelled to drink.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ok, now I finally got it too.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

Give the unemployed jobs building houses for the homeless. Bam I just fixed America.

Gotta fix the zoning first.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Additionally, loosening zoning to allow more development would result in a boost to construction employment, which is like manufacturing in terms of blue collar jobs except that you can't ship it overseas!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The thing about original Magic cards would be that to accurately model the collectible expected return, you should include the other collectible card games of the period of then similar popularity, as you wouldn't really know beforehand that Magic would be the one to take off, while your rare Pokemon cards are worth about as much as Beanie Babies.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Crowd Real Estate is just timeshares right?

Some real estate crowd funding platforms are legit limited partnership units, but there is some adverse selection of projects in that the projects that hit platforms are ones where the developer couldn't convince a bunch of doctors and dentists to invest in their totally surefire project.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

The justification for that I've heard is that you gotta build your aircraft for the hypothetical war you're not fighting under the assumption that in the near future we'll be getting into pew pew fighter wars with china or something

I heard this justification in like the early-mid-2000's and we're still fighting against people with mid-last-century soviet technology but i'm sure it'll happen any day now.

Well the next time the US fights a war against someone with a modern air force, it will be the last war, but we still have to win it!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Randler posted:

How did horses survive before domestication at all? Were wild horses so much different from modern day horses? I mean, I'd expect an animal with growing teeth to use those teeth up enough by eating so that it doesn't require regular human interventions.

I assume we selected for individuals that are less apt to survive in the wild. Also I assume feed is less abrasive to teeth than foraging in the wild.

Wild horses seem to do ok, so maybe domesticated horses are the bulldogs of the equine world?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Horses were a big thing for guys as well until vehicles got faster/better, I think. Basically 200 years ago every dude who spends too much on his truck would be telling you how he is getting a bigger, younger horse that costs too much, but it makes sense because he's sure he'll use it for work as well.

There was an article written around then end of Pontiac with an old timey quote saying that the poems are only written about war, women and horses.

Edit: Apparently there was a poem by Kipling with a line about "Women and Horses and Power and War".

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 3, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I am in the wrong business, man.

A few years ago ebay stopped allowing people to sell "spells" or "wishes" and a bunch of other weird "enchanted" stuff.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/08/ebay-bans-magic-potions-curses-spells/

You don't say?

I totally did that spell, you just didn't do the spell reception ritual right. Sorry, that will be $500 to do it again.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

"Sorry developer man, the wife wants more for it, what can you do to help me out here?"

Alternatively, if this parcel is next to commercial development, his wife could maybe be persuaded once demo amd construction starts?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hello everyone don't worry we've safely arrived at peak capitalism - where the gig economy meets the cartoonishly rich:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ofc/6256376954.html

Literally "we need a wageslave who will pretend to be our friend."

Please take all of our personal data and don't steal it. Kthxbai

I wonder if they work with Sundae?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

golden bubble posted:

They want a high-class butler, but they aren't willing to pay anywhere close to what a good butler costs.

Seriously. Some of that is something a housekeeper can do, but $35 an hour will get them zero people with experience supporting a CXO of anything larger than a tiny enterprise.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I miss my FB admins almost literally every workday.

A family friend brought his admin with him when he left his F500 employer. I'm not sure what that cost, but I'm sure pulling someone of that skill level out of a company of that size with all the benefits that come with that was not cheap.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Zo posted:

the expected value of insurance is negative (with some exceptions for subsidized insurance like commonly for health insurance)

if you can easily absorb the loss then it's gwm to avoid insurance on things - same with extended warranties

From an NPV/expected value standpoint yes, but from an uncertainty optimizing utility curve it could be the opposite (you have a small marginal gain in happiness from the non purchase of insurance, but can have an outsized negative happiness effect from an uninsured loss).

It would be like a term life insurance policy for someone just starting to ramp up in compensation with non-working dependents,they might expect to be fine, but place such weight on their dependents that the happiness loss would offset the gain of the insurance premiums. Well, the thought of that happiness loss I guess since they won't be around at that point.

This gets into loss aversion and how much happiness someone would forgo in order to insure against a specific value of unhappiness and let's insuance companies price above actuarial price in the absence of competition.

I didn't do great in my intermediate econ class, but this and intertemporal optimization I do recall.

Edit: you said expected value in your post, this whole thing is redundant as you also qualified for easily absorbed losses.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I feel like NOT making a best efforts attempt to figure out wtf happened would be bad with police/murder charges.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Anyone who represents themselves in a court of law has an idiot for a lawyer AND a client.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

"it" is never ok.

Generally if you don't know someone's gender they/them works well.

3rd person singular they was good enough for Shakespeare, so it works for me.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Talking about yourself is still against thread rules

It's ok, I think his profile picture is a derail bird!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Randler posted:

Comedy option (I don't know how US taxes work): Your house is now a business and you get -x. However, as you are privately living in it, we will assess fictional income at arm's length, as if you rented your house to yourself for x plus a 5% net margin. :kheldragar:

Taxing imputed rent for homeowners would be a good policy, but would start an absolute shitstorm.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is that a Happy Labor Day celestial body?

Is Labor Day worth of it's own constellation? It's like the least offensive and inconsequential holiday. Even Flag day and Arbor day have more potential conflict and strife.

Better give it one or the May Day constellations will appear in the fall as well as spring!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Now I need to see what I paid for a loaf of bread last. If they were telling me they paid $100 for a case of beer, I would know they are rich!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I've heard it depends on the state.

North Dakota allows claiming via a trust, but the flip side to public claiming is that the gambling commission would otherwise be able to rig it towards favored parties if it wasn't public, so I feel like lottery winners should be public.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I enjoyed the part where he questioned his ex's professional success by citing nepotism.

Yeah, he wouldn't have been toxic is that workplace at all.

I'm just trying to imagine what would happen if parents found out at his posh employer.

Yes, Reginald McMoneypants III's teacher was dating the director years ago and made internet drama about it. I'm sure he's a stable guy who would never compromise the privacy of his students or their families because one did something annoying though.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't ever want context for this because there's no way in hell it's as cool as what's in my head.

I'm going to write a book about this case, but find a way to put it in the young adult section of a bookstore and will print money.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

American banks don't regularly appraise residential property, so as long as you are current it usually doesn't come up.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Would you be screwed if your mortgage term came up, or would they just hold their nose and roll it over?

They do 30 year, fully amortizing terms, so the refinance risk is only there if you did an adjustable rate product or non-standard mortgage. Conforming or agency mortgages will be for the full amortization, so unless you want to do something out of the ordinary, your mortgage will have a 30 year term and amortization, fixed rate loan.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Tiny, where does that picture of little brontosauruses (that looks wrong, is it brontosaurs?) come from? They are adorable and I would want a BWM quantity of them, although I was somehow able to resist the old Nessie ladles.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That doesn't sound like helping.

That really sounds like the opposite of helping, moving someone from a place with jobs to a place without them.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Incidentally, early Puritans drank hard in the colonies.

I read Drinking in America by Susan Cheever and there's a host of historical BWM in there, but also bad with livers.

The Mayflower was dangerously low on beer when it got to Plymouth Rock, and the captain was not incluned to let the fanatics he was dropping off have the booze his crew needed for thier trip back to England, and they would all run out of alcohol too soon if they tried to make it to Virginia.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

BigDave posted:

HORSIES ARE MAGICAL CREATURES AND I WANT ONE AND DONT YOU HURT FRECKLES!!

That article did have a point about horse drugs. Racehorses get put on some drug cocktails that could impact suitability for food.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

One day your great, great, great, great, great grandchild will go to that restaurant, and there will be a legend passed down of that rear end in a top hat drifter who stiffed the ancestor of the waiter. Funnily enough, he had the same last name and came from the same town.

This reminded me of something that should belong in this thread, but doesn't!

Trusted Assistant Lending, where chinese banks in the 1800s would lend to future bureaucrats in the hopes of their obtaining civil service posts. The loans were illegal, unenforceable, there was no repeat lending, the bureaucrats were often far away from their lenders and there were no social consequences to default. But somehow they were lucrative to the banks because of the trusted assistants.

The chinese civil service exams focused on academic Confucian thought, which would not prepare them to actually serve in the civil service. Trusted assistants were agents of the lender assigned to guide the bureaucrat through the social and political maze of wherever they were assigned. Trusted assistants had soft power to aid the bureaucrat in establishing their tenure, as well as representing the lender's interests to determine how much could be repaid. But wait, this is far away from the lender, why wouldn't the assistant merely take bribes from the borrower to capture those returns? Because the trusted assistant was from the region of the bank's operation and had social consequences, as well as future advancement based on the performance of the loans they oversaw. Additionally, trusted assistants were most valuable at the start of a term and would decline in value to the borrower as they became established in their post.

The BWM is probably the people who failed their civil service exams, because they were typically poor to start with and lost most possibilites for advancement by failing their exams. But if they passed and got a post, they had to hire their own staff before they could travel to their post and start collecting taxes.

https://helda.helsinki.fi/bof/bitstream/handle/123456789/14908/dp1317.pdf?sequence=1

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If I remember Guns, Germs and Steel, most big animals in Africa evolved with hominids as predators for millions of years, while outside of Africa they didn't have the experience to survive predation by a new apex predator capable of using tools.

I'm not sure how horses and various cattle made it if that was true, but it explains what happened to most megafauna around the world.

Bad with Evolution, not being adapted to survive predation by humans.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

hosed up teeth is a waaaaay bigger social pitfall than small tits. In the US anyways. Having a hosed up smile will torpedo all sorts of stuff. Interviews, dates....the list is endless!

This surprised me when I was studying abroad and was around non-Americans who didn't notice it. Apparently we really care about teeth in the US, we're all bugged to notice crooked teeth because so much of the US had braces or knew people with braces growing up I guess.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Income is almost 2x expenditure (Taxes and whatnot), so 10x income at retirement means your expenditure would account to 5% of the total by year; seems logical to me.

Plus you don't have to save for retirement anymore if you are looking at % of gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Inept posted:

This one is a bit of a rollercoaster.

I can't tell if the FIL is saying, "don't worry it's taken care of of" or "I hope you are ready to step up and pay this".