Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
When is there ever a "soft landing" in housing bubbles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

SquirrelFace posted:

Some friends of ours are buying their third rental property. Right now they have a total of 500k in debt including their home and the two rentals they already have (one of which is empty).

How do I know how much debt they are in? The husband was bragging about it because "that debt is making me money." He told us he hopes to one day have a million in debt on rental properties.

To get the new property they are taking out a loan against his 401k for the down payment and then another mortgage which will bring their total debt to just over 600k....

Did he go to Trump university?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

monster on a stick posted:

I found this thread on reddit about estate horror stories and found this gem:

That's almost fairy tale level of irony. Just needs a bad fairy and a talking fox.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

20 years of loan servitude for PAYE loan forgiveness, another 20 on IRS repayment plan for the $700,000 in taxes incurred, then kill yourself at 70

Is the French Foreign Legion interested in dentists? Because it sounds like leaving the country and never returning would be the optimum route at that level of debt.

Student loans should be dischargeable in bankruptcy at a certain level of ridiculousness. It's crazy that they aren't. You can go on a spending spree at Tiffany's and when you sober up, discharge the whole credit card loan, but if you try and improve yourself but gently caress up, you are damned for life.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

I Like Jell-O posted:

It's hard to reposses an education. That isn't true of most other things that people will lend you a bunch of money to buy. You don't get to take out a loan to buy a Tesla, declare bankruptcy, and keep the Tesla free and clear. Same thing with a house. If student loan debt was as easy to discharge as credit card debt, what's the incentive to not run up maximum debt at school and declare bankruptcy as soon as you graduate?

You can also declare bankruptcy if you take out loans to blow them at Vegas, or if you bought a Tesla and drove it into a wall.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

I Like Jell-O posted:

An 18 year old won't find anyone willing to give them a large unsecured loan that they could then blow in Vegas, and if you owe any money on that Tesla you are required to carry comprehensive insurance to address just that possibility.

Your point being?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

brugroffil posted:

I'll see if I can find the link again, but there was a great libertarian self-own BWM story I read that was along the lines of "Since I knew that the government was inherently inferior to the Free Market, I opted only to take out private student loans."

A true libertarian would only spend money on education that he had earned with the sweat of his brow (or daddy's money, whichever is easier.)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

You are right, we should have degree programs in the hundreds languages of Africa just in case we decide to go to war with someone there. I'm sure we can find something for the graduates to do in the meantime, maybe they can stream on Twitch or something.

Linguists often learn dozens of languages.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Fil5000 posted:

Don't worry, because of the rapidly aging population and the advances in medical treatment, all our money is going to go on social care for our parents with dementia!

Curse you NHS and your dratted efficiency! The USA has found a solution to poor people living too long (the US healthcare system.)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

I'm legit glad this person got dismissed from medical school, "crippling procrastination" does not sound like a good quality in a doctor.

Another good case for student loans being able to be discharged in bankruptcy, though. This guy is never in his whole life going to be able to pay these loans off, and he failed so he can't use the degree.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm not an expert horse-ologist, but I am skeptical that they would enjoy the sensation of walking on marble.

$100,000 racehorse slips and dies on polished marble floor. The price of luxury.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

blah_blah posted:

It's really hard to get off the treadmill when your comp keeps going up and up even as the hours and stress get worse and worse. Congrats to her on actually doing that.

It's not at all uncommon in NYC finance. Young finance guys (and gals) work themselves to death in their 20s and build up a big stash of cash, then quit and do what they really want to do at 30-35. It's the origin story for most of those cute little non-chain cafes you find in nice areas of NYC.

You aren't suffering with a walk-up studio in Manhattan in your '20s. You are basically just sleeping there, so how big does it need to be?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

eighty-four merc posted:

I don't know if it's forced perspective but her thumb definitely weirds me out.

The mark of the witch.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

pathetic little tramp posted:

A horse lease is usually pretty good with money, at least for the horse owner.

I have two rich white people that lease my horse for their girls and it puts me up 400 bucks a month.

Sounds good with money for the customer, too. A horse for $200 a month, and you don't need to care if it bloats up and dies? Nice deal.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The MIL buying houses story sounds like a set-up for a modern day version of King Lear, where the old lady eventually gets sick, forced to retire, has no money for nursing care, and either gets stuffed in a crappy nursing home or cared for by the "good daughter" as the spendthrifts discover that they are not so grateful now she has no money.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gambling is so weird. The few times I've done it, I've lasted half a hour and then decided losing isn't cool and left. Obviously I need to link my extremely large brokerage account so next time I can assure everyone the losses are chump change and I don't regret losing all my chips standing on a 15.

I don't see why gambling is fun. It sounds about as fun as getting robbed at a nightclub. Why not just go to a nightclub?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

BigDave posted:

I'm still amazed that this country was founded by people too uptight for the British.

British people aren't all that uptight - more "falling down drunk" in general.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

crazypeltast52 posted:

The Mayflower was dangerously low on beer when it got to Plymouth Rock, and the captain was not incluned to let the fanatics he was dropping off have the booze his crew needed for thier trip back to England, and they would all run out of alcohol too soon if they tried to make it to Virginia.

Dwarf fortress: an accurate rendition of pre-20th century European life.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Cocktails are probably expensive because they are a premium item that requires the bartender to do more than pour - there's usually some mixing, shaking, and salting of the rim of the glass involved. A bartender can pour four beers in the time it takes a reasonably complex cocktail.

GWM: Making them at home. They are easy and impress a party.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Splicer posted:

Oh, I thought we were talking about raising horses for slaughter. Eating horses raised for any other reason goes from skeevy feeling to could potentially kill you.

I'm pretty sure that most eating horses are surplus pets or racehorses. You need to breed a lot of racehorses to get one that's good, and they don't make good pets. And the whole thread has a theme of "horses send you broke" so people who find themselves with unwanted pet horses that are bankrupting them and they can't sell need to do something with them.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I dunno, I’m of the belief that it’s irresponsible to have kids if you’re not in a good financial position to do so.

Most families who have kids in the USA are taking a financial risk, because of the lack of safety nets and the way human fertility means it's healthiest to have kids at the age your career is just taking off (25-35) . If only the completely financially secure (the upper middle class) had kids, the USA would be in deep poo poo quite quickly, unless willing to massively increase working-class immigration (HA!)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

John Smith posted:

Plenty of people are in decent financial shape by their early 30s. If somehow it was externally imposed that only this specific sub-set of people are permitted to have children, the US would be just fine.

Often decent, rarely bulletproof. You can be just fine to have kids in your current situation, but then hit a snag, such as one of the kids has autism, or one of the parents spends time out of work, and suddenly you are on benefits. The only people rich enough to be sure that this will not happen to them are the upper middle class.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

CannonFodder posted:

I still smile when I hear Mt Gox and think "no no no, that's the Magic: the Gathering Online Exchange."

So much of Bitcoin was handled by a place where people traded digital versions of collectable cards for a digital version of a game of real cards that is played in real life.

The London Stock Exchange can trace it's origins back to a place called "Jonathan's Coffee House" in the 17th century (where early stockbrokers met to do business), so it's not without precedent that a trivial place becomes surprisingly important in finance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan%27s_Coffee-House

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

So you had multi-generational dependencies, questionable disability status, and the subject immediately quits the moment they realized they couldn't keep their disability + a paycheck. I have no idea whether this lady deserved disability or not, but the story almost felt like a false flag just to rile people up.

Who wants to work for free? If she lost an equal amount of disability to the wages she earned, she probably saw a dip in income due to needing to run a car/take the bus/buy work clothes/pay more taxes/pay her own health insurance. Would you volunteer to take care of a lot of drooling screaming infants and pay handsomely for the privilege? Especially if you had anxiety and it was a real effort to make yourself get up in the morning?

Weaning off disability needs to be done gradually.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Cicero posted:

Honestly, in places with reasonably priced homes I can see the appeal. Stability and the freedom to do whatever the gently caress you want.

But not for a student who will graduate soon. Stability is the worst for that sort of person. Most students will need to move for their first job, even if it is only across town.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Ashcans posted:

Remember when Walmart (and maybe others?) were taking out life insurance on their workers so that the company got paid when they died? Now that was smart investment in your workforce.

Hmm, I guess that's why they like to hire the very aged as greeters. GWM.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Doc Hawkins posted:

The ultimate gwm healthcare plan (credit to Alan Grayson):

1. don't get sick
  2. if you get sick, die quickly

The NRA healthgun plan: Rifle.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My grandparents also believe that the whole “As you have done for the least of these, you have done for me” thing is by country and not by person because it says God fathers all the nations of the Earth. Individual responsibility absolved.

Clearly talking about individuals, unless countries can also be sick or in prison and need visiting.

Oddly enough, Judas's main beef with Jesus is that he was Bad With Money:

John 12:1 posted:

Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pinta of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.”

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

DarkHorse posted:

*(Fun note: as I understand it, Romans outsourced their tax collection in territories and Satrapies by having an auction to who could collect the most. These bidders then could keep any extra they were able to scrounge up, so there was an incentive to lie cheat and steal; explains the hatred, beyond just having the foreign entity taking your money)

That, and the tax payments were purely a tribute from the conquered to the conqueror exacted at swordpoint. Aside from a few roads the populace got nothing from the deal.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Blinkman987 posted:

My dad (61) called me one morning asking me how I was in a passive-aggressive way.

Turns out someone called my grandparents (83) and told them I was in a Las Vegas jail and needed $3,000 in iTunes gift cards to bail me out. Then they put on someone impersonating me and saying I was scared to be anally raped in a jail. My grandparents called my dad and his sister and they told them it was probably a scam. But still, they weren't sure.

Other than the fact that we outright allow rape of prisoners in America and everyone knows it, what other part of that story is believable? And why are working-age adults unsure of the situation? The grandparents, sure, they have significant mental deterioration. But working age adults? iTunes gift cards, my God.

Maybe Sheriff Joe's department might work in such a way.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Poor little Dick.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
To make money from collecting lovely plastic toys, you really want to be looking at what 8-year-old boys like and leaving it in mint, boxed condition for 30 years, then cashing in. It needs to be something that no sane adult would collect, because others will collect the actually cool stuff.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's still one backdoor way - the first few issues of Walking Dead are pretty valuable (because they had a tiny printing and obviously were not hoarded and then became a TV show years later). Wouldn't ever try to do it again, since trying to predict what becomes a popular TV show and hoard accordingly is literally impossible, but that's not really a weird bubble, just a cross-media effect.

I have a whole lot of early Deadpool comics from the '90s but they are in lovely condition because I read them rather than leaving them in plastic. They'd be worth a bit if I'd just hoarded them, thanks to the movie.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think it was Chris Rock who said there's a big difference between 'rich' and 'wealth', and lottery winners illustrate that terrifyingly well. Even people who become wealthy more steadily through a sports or entertainment career have more opportunity to adjust and may occasionally not end up broke (Oprah comes to mind) while lotto winners find that that, ironically, a rich person's lifestyle isn't something you can just go to a store and buy.

We haven't really come too far from feudalism when it comes to the sheer divide between the wealthy and the proles, illustrated so well when one tries to rise above their station.

I bet there are a lot of lottery winners you never hear about because they spend their money sensibly, and use it to raise the station of their family.

Guillermo del Toro's father won the lottery, and I'm sure that helped his son in being able to piss about making movies rather than getting a "real job"!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

a friend of mine won a lottery in ireland or spain or somewhere, got about a million, which was spent on paying off his mortgage, his mom's mortgage, college funds for the kids and the leftover sub 5k was spent on a big night out with his wife

obviously his life is way loving easier now due to no concerns about saving for college/housing expenses but the outward appearance is identical to most other folks

Yeah, that's what sensible people do with a lottery win. It makes their life pleasant, but doesn't make interesting headlines like "Lottery winner on streets after blowing the lot on high living."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Since most password hacks seem to originate from places like Yahoo losing 1 million passwords, Grandma with the sticky note and simple password is probably just as secure as all you clever-clogs with passwords like $@^$^U@$(^999uu935nlknglke11horse.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Americans will enthusiastically take heavy, brutal jobs if the pay is right: see the oil boom. Every working class man in the USA decamped to Alaska to live 10 to a trailer and operate heavy machinery in a snow storm. Because they were paid handsomely to do it.

In the same way, Americans will pick fruit and man fishing boats if paid well enough to compensate for it being a 6 months of the year job that destroys your body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Seasonal manual labor needs to be *very* highly compensated to be worth it, because of the key word “seasonal.” It’s better to work the whole year at $15 an hour than half of it at $20 an hour.

Guest workers change this calculus because they come from low cost of living places. So it’s very much worth their while to do $15 an hour for 6 months in the USA as opposed to $1 an hour for the whole year in their home country.