Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Nothing is more bad with money than owning jaguars because they never run.

As my father discovered.

His one has been in the shop for the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

How a debt collection agency manages to go broke I have no idea.

Can't squeeze blood from a stone, especially a stone that ignores the climbing debt and/or is dependent on credit, and is of the opinion that they'll just declare bankruptcy* when they get to a certain level, and repeat the cycle.

* = Based on a true story.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Weatherman posted:

There's lots of hand waving and justifications possible for why your country likes to gently caress its young people financially so much, but it's really all irrelevant blathering when faced with "well Australia manages to do it so why can't you?"

Edit: inb4 all the usual excuses why the country that sent humans to the moon and possesses weapons of mass destruction somehow can't do the same kind of thing

Funny you mention that, because in my aimless Facebook wandering, I've discovered that someone I mentioned in the old BWM thread has gone back to university.

The same university he's dropped out of three times before. Fourth time's the charm?

I posted:

I recently moved house from one place to another, approximately 30 km away. As it happens, someone I knew from high school lives in the area. Being on friendly terms with him at graduation (2008), I decided to send a message to meet with him once more.

As I found out from said meeting:

* Went to uni post-graduation to study Political Science, and then dropped out in ~2010 in order to pursue a degree in Psychology, and then dropped out of that in ~2013 in order to study something else that escapes my mind. Is still a university student.
* Has literally never had a job, ever.
* Still lives with his parents, unsurprisingly. (By Australian standards, not that unusual, because of massive property speculation.)
* Owns a driver's license, but no car.
* Owes an alarming amount of HECS* debt, what with the three unfinished degrees.
* Seems pretty complacent about the possibility of being on the dole for the remainder of his life.

* = Higher Education Contribution Scheme: Essentially student loans subsidized by the state. Has an extremely low interest rate, apparently.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

I think I fall within that 23%, even though I'm ~30. The retirement age will continue to go up and up, by the time I am 70, it will probably be 80.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't plan to live that long. :toot:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

Could own it, be The Wandering Attorney, going where'er the cases are and loyally following your client all the way to DC if necessary.

Worked for this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lincoln_Lawyer_(film)

(Yes, I know it's fictional.)

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Chinese restaurant down the street from me has an electronic sign with the word delicious misspelled. It's been that way for months, so you know it's authentic food. They also have all kinds of culinary awards and trophies that were obviously bought.

The restaurants down my way don't seem to realize that you don't put a apostrophe between the word and the s at the end of said word to indicate multiples.

Hence, "Seafood Combo's" and "Experienced Chef's".

The worst I've seen, however, would be a short lived place that had "OPENNIG SOON" proudly written on their front window.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Randler posted:

My BWM story is about a bunch of guys who spent a lot of money on gaming PCs and then only use their high-end processors and graphic cards to render single window of Chrome in which they post about posting.

Guilty as charged.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if they never plan to go back to Melbourne why not sell that house, pay off the note, and have three quarters of a million dollars to piss away on your wife's dumb rear end MLM company or whatever?

If I were in the Australian property market right now I would be looking to convert to cold hard cash ASAP, that poo poo is absolutely insane.

My parents are moaning right now because our old house, which they sold for $650,000 AUD, is now on the market for $750,000 AUD after a year.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

Yeah they really should have bought the house back so that they bought at the peak of the property bubble.

???

They were moaning because they missed out on $100k for doing nothing but waiting a year?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Shipon posted:

drat, paying $999 for a Samsung phone. Now that's BWM.

Only the finest incendiary devices will char my skin, thank you very much.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

Hey Hey, it's our scammer blogger with survived brain cancer:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-28/disgraced-wellness-blogger-belle-gibson-fined/8995500

What a scumbag. Guess it's BWM being a lying sack of poo poo and using a dying kid for profit.

Yeah, but she still turned a profit, (I think I read that she "earned" $1.1 million).

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Sundae posted:

HOLY GOD, I have panic attacks at the thought of getting anywhere near that level of debt.

Relax, that's what bankruptcy is for!*

* = Based on a actual quote from a bogan I heard once.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

Student loans are a big deal that people need to be aware of. In New Zealand most of the large tech companies, including Microsoft, don't give a drat about degrees and instead want motivated/capable people. Why get a giant loan for a degree that won't help you get a job?

18 year old Sic Semper Goon would answer: "So I can binge drink daily and contract every strain of VD that is currently floating around Southeast Australia in TYOOL 2008."

Mind you, I never ended up going. :eng99:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

sparkmaster posted:

If he really liked driving a forklift and had good money, wouldn't he buy a forklift (rough terrain) for his own personal enjoyment at home?

Why pay for a forklift, when someone else will pay you to use theirs?

(And I'm completely not lying about my solid gold house or that my uncle works at Nintendo.)

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

A friend of mine who lives in South Florida :words:

That doesn't sound like much of a friend.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Free venue, no dresses for the bridesmaids, no flowers, probably using trucks they already own. This might be the ultimate GWM wedding.

Ah, but the groom owes $200k in rolled over truck debt after trading in fourteen trucks in two years.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

If she wasn't depressed before, she certainly will be now.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Enfys posted:

Why does she feel she needs to spread the word about the danger of getting your eye tattooed when that is just self-evident to everyone not insane?

Careful now, you'll bring down the ultra-defensive wrath of tattooed (not necessarily of the eye) goons.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
My good friend*'s roomies have hit a metaphorical iceberg as their car needs repairs. Rough.

Luckily, as they are DINK in solid lower-middle class jobs** and living with my friend and his wife in a share house within a junkie neighbourhood, they should have this (relatively small amount) covered from their savings, right? Nope.

They started a Gofundme to cover the repairs for their car, pleading poverty several times within the description.

* = I posted about him in this thread previously, or perhaps the last incarnation of this thread.

** = Both better paying and more prestigious than my own.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Not a Children posted:

It's very telling how people blame taxes for their woes

A tax cut should be a bonus, not the linchpin to your financial stability

The USA was partly founded on hatred of taxes, so...

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Vox Nihili posted:

Kept searching for "make diamond Amway children's book" and similar to no avail. Now if I could only track down the scans again.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=642

Took me a while, but I eventually found it.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On the other hand, if he was able to convince her to cosign the loans in the first place (seriously, why?), he may have a promising career in sales that will let him take care of the loans.

To be fair, the wife in question may just be as thick as two short planks.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hoodwinker posted:

Seriously, our homeless aren't like those pussy-rear end Hawaiian homeless. We had a winter I think two years ago where it got to -35 degrees with wind chill. Our homeless are the tardigrades of the homeless kingdom.

Hobo natural selection?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

SpelledBackwards posted:

My favorite is the product line from the company called It Works!, because how could something that really works be a scam? Their big product is a body wrap that makes you look slimmer and... that's all it does.

"She's the Fastest".

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mourne posted:

Thanks for this. I read through a bit of the federal reserve report. All I can say is that I'm very thankful that I have enough privilege to go to the grocery store and just buy enough food that I need for the week without worrying about how much that costs. I didn't realize that in America I need to be very grateful that I have enough to eat.

Thanks, guys.

You're welcome. :tipshat:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

Pseudo-science - Check
Marketing wonder liquid - Check
Facebook Fitness Business - Check
Another australian trying to scam people - Check

Always wanted to make a parody of this type of thing, showing my fat, hairy self soullessly staring into the camera as above, while I post about how my personal brand of snake oil hasn't helped me in the slightest, and how I hold the reader in open contempt, yet you idiots should buy it for $200.00 a bottle because of toxins or some poo poo.

Couldn't pull it off because I'm not a) a woman or b) blonde.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

What does a successful CEO look like?

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 29, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Please tell me the advice being given is

1) remove all your saved cards from your online profiles.

2) remove all of your saved cards from your phone payment systems.

3) cut up all of your cards

4) if you’re going to eat out go to IHOP or something.

5) kill your debt faster and faster because you won’t be paying credit card level interest on $17,000.

Nah, bankruptcy is what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Always wondered if there was some bizarre contest I wasn't told about in society, in which the goal is to get into as much debt as possible. Each declaration of bankruptcy is the equivalent of $100,000 bonus score on top of the rest.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Volmarias posted:

Let TB mod BFC.

If you want everybody on the forums permabanned on suspicion of being white, then this is a great idea!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
On BWM, my friend's wife's brother recently started a Gofundme to buy a new Apple laptop after he destroyed his old one under mysterious circumstances.

He openly admits that he's content to accept Centrelink payments "until his hip-hop career takes off" (hence the laptop), and is one of those one-dimensional stoners who constantly talks about marijuana's ability to cure cancer/being a general panacea, how much he enjoys marijuana, marijuana is the mother planet, the many types of ways he attempts to smoke marijuana and the evils of the state for banning marijuana (in alliance with the Illuminati and the Jews). He eats hemp and wears hemp.

The BWM part is that some people actually donated.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Phanatic posted:

All dollars are not Federal Reserve Notes. The US still mints coins, which are legal tender and denominated in dollars, out of precious medals.

Just had a sudden mental image of a Medal of Honour being melted down for quarters.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing wrong with this. I mean it says right there on their site:

Nobody was stating that the company was BWM for offering the loans (morality notwithstanding) but the edit: junkie who accepted a loan of ~$3,000 at 279.50% APR.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 10, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

theHUNGERian posted:

Getting old sucks, but watching my dad get old is far more painful. He turns everything into his Vietnam and ends up complaining about _everything_ without ever doing poo poo about anything. The icing on the cake is that he is also forgetful, so I hear every story at least 4 times, typically >10 times.

Welcome to what every old person transmutes into at any second.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

therobit posted:

This man is a total slut. Imagine what people would say about a woman with that many kids from different fathers.

Nothing at all, because you don't want to open that :can: on this forum.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

KingSlime posted:

Wow, that kid is absolutely going to be fine. Good god how is he working full time and going to college at the same time??

If the people I encountered doing so are anything to go by, he is either a heavy (meth/dex/whatever) amphetamine user, or has a superior genetic trait that allows him to be fully rested after four hours of sleep, much like Margaret Thatcher.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

KingSlime posted:

Yeah these stories really run counter to the pervasive idea that women are gold digging parasites out to pilfer our treasures. Women my age are largely more educated than men my age, especially in Texas

Everytime one of my Angry Boi friends starts going on a dumbshit mysogonistic rant I point out to him that my males friends are universally much bigger losers than my female friends, often relying on gf's money to get by or help smooth over dumb life decisions. Anecdotal evidence and all but I think it's important to point out these examples when someone gets too extreme

Though sometimes they just double down and claim that "it's so much easier for girls" or something.

Anyways as we age this is definitely gonna become much more apparent

Yeah, but according to the nice guys, women enjoy being with violent felons/general lowlifes. :shrug:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

therobit posted:

If we could somehow convince people that essential oils would cure thier non-celiac gluten sensitivity and other imagined medical conditions we could make a mint on that poo poo without hurting anyone.

The only cure is a halfway one, that being time, in which fads die out.

The reason why it's a halfway cure is that it will be replaced with equally fraudulent and annoying pseudo-diseases.

It struck me as I was driving home today, people actually want to have diseases as a fashion statement / because everyone else was doing it / because they do.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nirvikalpa posted:

Does anyone here know a lot of people who do MLMs? I only know four people who do (my aunt who has been chronically unemployed, two people from high school, and weirdly enough my cousin who is a military wife but also earned a Masters in Economics from a pretty good school. But it's apparently a big problem in some circles.

I don't really know her, but one of the managers at work has a Scentsy air freshener disc hanging in her car.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Ashcans posted:

I remember chain letter versions where there was a list of ten or twenty people, and you were supposed to send money to the person at the top, then add yourself at the bottom- with the promise that as you forwarded the letter you would eventually get paid out by other people

Having read a book (False Profits by Joyce K. Reynolds) it seems to rely heavily on a form of mysticism that the money given up the chain will somehow spontaneously regenerate because of alignment with the universe and the power of positive thinking or somewhat.

It's very strange, but they know their victims well, and the "new age" crowd who practise this mysticism have been proven to be very credulous and trusting of these snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nocheez posted:

I don't understand collectibles, at all. Especially mass-produced crap that you can find at any Target.

So you just buy them and then leave them in the box and do nothing with them? Wow, that sure sounds like fun!

To be fair, you could say the same thing about people who collect art.