Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Regarding pension chat:

I work for a State government that also us a good pension. You can get up to 70% salary for your average last 5 years, plus insurance. The longer work the better the pension.

My co-worker has been working there about 5 years longer than me. Just before he vests at 10 years, he takes w job private side for a raise of about 15k. That's a good raise, right? Except he has 0 retirement, personal, or other savings but this pension. No 401k. Oh, but he does have a lot of credit card debt and has defaulted in his 200k in private student loans. He was dead set on seeing more money, but he's 40. He'll likely never pay the loans unless consolidates or settles.

We talked to him about the pension, and how he'll never be able to stop working in his life. Sure at 65 he'll get something, but it won't be enough to try and retire. I hope he does really well in the private sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey Overdesigned - is the 401k/TSP your only military retirement, or is there something more?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Call of Battlefield XXXIII: Brothers of Heroes.

Call of Duty: The Trump Battalions.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If the federal or state government completely crashes and cannot honor my pension, then honestly - some really lovely stuff has happened. If my pension isn't as good as it should be, then savings for that will hopefully offset.

I was at a car dealership with a friend this weekend. He was buying a new car. The first dealership did a full on hard sale: bringing people over, not letting us leave, etc. The sales man then jumped into (a) "oh I'm a bad seller and Im going to get in trouble" ; (b) saying "hey you're a smart guy" when he can't possibly know that; and(c) started discussing how you actually build equity in your car and it's like a retirement fund.

Friend bailed and still bought a new car, but at least didn't fall for the hard sale. Hearing "car equity" reminded me of "horse equuity."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

The only BWM part of this is if they put any play equipment on it, or as the lawsuit would put it when timmy breaks his face falling off the slide: attractive nuisance.

I'd honestly bet that the developer of the subdivision will not sell it to him, and that there are restrictions on use/building on the property.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Eh. I save ~40% of my income and I make ~300k/year. A thing I enjoy using and is well within my means is not BWM.

Please don't talk about yourself in this thread.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I was going to remark upon how that seems like a waste of money. But there are legitimate crazy people stalking celebrities, as was pointed out. I guess they really do need the protection.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bah gawd, that's the derail bird's eye!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah it's not wedding horse chat, so I think it's acceptable anyway.

Wait, debating the rules is a derail...I've become what I've always hated. BIRD ME!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice it was 2 months ago.

I did go look at her Twitter feed and it's been deleted. Her people probably got a warning letter and they deleted the post.

It was in 2016. And the ftc rule about revealing paid endorsements isn't a rule about government officials.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

carnassials posted:

There's something he isn't tell us about his search for employment. He should be able to pick up a permanent QC, Analytical or QA job by now. I'm guessing based off his post history he's some scatterbrained weirdo that thinks he's smarter than he is and probably gets let go or quits all the time.

Go read his Reddit history. He's desperate to go to medical school but takes no one's advice. He posts every 3 months about getting into med school, losing money, sneakers, and obtaining high paying jobs.

Man should give up the medical school dream and go for pharmacy or podiatry.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

NancyPants posted:

I dunno, doesn't that lease become void without any consideration, though?

No. They're in default of the lease by not paying each month. The consideration is paying rent. Failing to pay rent doesn't void the lease, but they could be evicted.

They've got a pretty good excuse though. They tried to perform under the lease. If they were my client I'd advise to pour each months rent into a savings account and be prepared to pay or move at any time once someone realizes the situation. I'd also hire a title company to do a title search and see who owns the property now.

It's a really interesting situation and I wish they weren't dumb internet people so I could find out the truth.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

NancyPants posted:

That makes sense. What about the letter they say they got from the city saying they were taking over the property? Couldn't they have independently verified with the city at that time if they were concerned it was some kind of scam, especially when their landlord stopped cashing their checks (assuming they continued to set that money aside every month)?

It's likely the property was foreclosed by the city and they own it. As someone who handles that type of stuff for a living, the city may really not care very much, or it may be on some old about-to-retire attorney's desk who just doesn't care.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

^^^ if there's no auto renewal, and state law doesn't say something, then the you'd likely be liable for fair market rental value. It's really fact specific based off what the tenant and landlord did to solve the problem and mitigate damages.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a goon lawyer trying to get his taco truck viable because he'd rather make tacos for drunk people every night than keep practicing law.

But lawyer is probably one profession where opening a food business will mean working less hours and dealing with less stupid bullshit.

Mr. Nice, and I don't think he has taken the bar yet.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

Sure, I'll hit you up later, thanks. I'd like it if you can at least tell me if it's a dumb idea :shobon:

It's like uber, but for criminal defense lawyers.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

Watched guy with a sign that said "disabled vietnam vet" count out at least $250 in cash at the red light yesterday, mostly $10s and $20s. I think if I was a panhandler I'd have waaaay too much shame to ever do that, or at least be too scared of getting mugged but he seemed very unconcerned.

You know, if that's all the money the guy has in the world and he's homeless, it's not that much money.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just going to point out that a 70% win rate in contested cases is actually low, assuming these are PI contingency fee cases. You cherry pick every single case and you seek 99% of them at a level that makes you money. PI lawyers aren't doing it to fight the man, they're doing it to make money. Moral victories don't pay the bills.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

There's a really great smart buy thread here, but I'm strictly a phone poster these days so hopefully the post under this is someone linking it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

How's bitcoin doing today?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Reform dentists to send them to medical school and complete a dental residency. Do the same to podiatrists.

Optometrists too?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

omnibobb posted:

Like, I get your intent and all but this really comes off as "people want to buy me and my baby things. gently caress us right?!?!?!"

I don't want random hunks of plastic poo poo in my house. My kid doesn't need more toys, and certainly not ones that don't fit or don't belong to same set, or are just annoying. This is a common feeling among parents. You want to show your affection for me and my kid? Honor my wishes, give cash, make a donation or something.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Moneyball posted:

Well surely those people will plan ahead for that tax hit, right?

Pslf is (currently) not a taxable event. Regular 20 year forgiveness is taxable. It could change, but hopefully won't because fygm

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Male oriented MLMs I've experienced (from the "friend trying to recruit me" side) typically involve selling some kind of knife or financial product. Anecdotal, and I'd be interested in hearing about other MLMs that are specifically targeted to men. Do things like those rainbow vacuums qualify? I'd say bitcoin and it's knock offs qualify. But that's not much different than a stock pump-and dump.

Lol when you realize that all of western financial products are an MLM. At least I went to law school, and for only a 200k investment I could earn up to...Oh poo poo

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm not sure you should spend 9k on fertility treatments instead of adoption, but I understand the compulsion to do so.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm ok with a guy who rolls his 20 ton missile on wheels not being allowed in that profession anymore. But I'd imagine a long haul trucker may still be allowed to drive smaller things locally? Like, maybe this dude shouldn't drive a 53 foot trailer at 75mph on the highway, but he's probably got the chops for a florist van.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Doesn't even matter if zaurg isn't real, he's a cautionary tale and there are a million real zaurglikes out there anyway. Just like blue story, the fun is in the journey, but the reality.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Banned, so fuckin banned

You don't get to comment on blue story.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Moneyball posted:

Enjoy your 6 hour

I did not know that was a rule now. My first prob in 15 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I mean lol if you don't use hunter2 for every password.