Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

best part:

usury, an excellent christian value

Don't blame that guy, blame John Calvin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Ashcans posted:

Really you should just make it part of regular schooling; by the time a lot of people leave school they are 18 or older and might already have gotten screwed on something. Ideally you want this to be in high school so people have a chance to understand the impacts of the choices they get to make at 18 a little better.

We do this in Canada. In most provinces, it's either an explicit class or a specific topic for inclusion in regular classes: http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/young-money/how-canadians-are-taught-financial-literacy-from-coast-to-coast

We're doing a poo poo job of of it though:

(We have a whole discussion thread about the Canadian housing bubble if you want to read and discuss more!)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Youtube is just another 'winner-take-all market' - a few people rise to the top and do really well and the rest lose money or earn less than a steady, minimum wage job. You see it with sports, entertainment, and other interesting places like criminal gangs.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Looking forward to the next update where Mom is complaining about the cost of the horse she wants her daughter to ride down the aisle.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I've been lead to believe if you're going to trade in every few years you should just lease instead. I don't know if that's true or not though.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Another "How did this even happen before you turned 20?" story from the Army.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/68xwlp/20m_leaving_army_with_nothing_but_debt/

The army really needs to just let people co-habitate or ban wives from the bases. The amount of married 18-year olds is crazy.

They also have a new mandated financial education class for all recruits, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything to stop these situations.

I figure when you're putting your life on your line for your job you're probably not thinking about your future (financial or otherwise) too closely, so it might be tough to fix this.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Lease deals vary from great to terrible, it is completely dependent on the manufacturer and your negotiating/timing. Leasing a car off the dealer lot near the end of the model year is often a fantastic deal, for example.

Makes sense, since that's when you should buy as well.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ate all the Oreos posted:

My mom sells Rodan and Fields or something like that but as far as I can tell she's managed to self-limit it to not become an all-consuming hell like a lot of MLM bullshit and generally just uses it as an excuse to get all the ladies together to drink wine and giggle :shrug:

So what you're saying is... if I somehow invent an MLM that sells books for book clubs I'll be rich?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ate all the Oreos posted:

This sounds like something that would already exist...

Not the same but didn't there used to be companies that did "Columbia House, but for Books"?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Yes and they would send you like 3 hardcover books a month at list price plus shipping unless you called and waited on hold and complained enough to cancel

Yeah thought so.

Content:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Look I don't care if you're a blood sucking creature of the night. What you do on your own time is your business.

Just don't feed on your coworkers.

*Doesn't apply to management hires.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Is there any feasible way to ban MLMs?

It might be difficult because MLMs actually involve the sales of real products and pay commissions in a similar way as some (ostensibly) legitimate markets, such as insurance or real estate. Not saying it can't be done but there would be a lot of industries lobbying against changes.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Randler posted:

I think that is a very small obstacle compared to the lack of political will. While MLM schemes sell real products, their defining issue is that the lower levels cannot sustain themselves with product sales on the market and have to dupe others into it. Considering that governments are already pretty familiar with checking whether prices are realistic or not, i.e. transfer pricing for taxation purposes, I'd be confident that MLMs could be defined and detected well enough.

The insurance industry plays out eerily similar to an MLM for the agents at the bottom. Most are not able to support themselves with sales and there is a lot of turnover for this reason. At least with insurance they aren't able to go into debt filling their garage with shampoo and thus wash out pretty quickly if they aren't good at sales and/or recruiting.

Edit: In case there is any confusion, I am not arguing that this means MLMs are legitimate. If anything, I'm arguing that if you see an ad in the paper to learn to sell insurance, don't.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 16, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/6bfghf/house_deal_fell_through_is_it_okay_to_put_my_rrsp/ posted:

House deal fell through. Is it okay to put my RRSP funds back? (self.PersonalFinanceCanada)
submitted 1 day ago by Devious-Throwaway

I'm a first-time home buyer using my RRSP in my down payment. Last week I closed on a condo, but the deal fell through at the last minute.
Now I have $25K (already pulled from my RRSP) sitting in my chequing account.
If I cancel the transfer and return the funds to my RRSP:
Am I eligible to withdraw the funds again should I find another property?
Do my returned funds need to go through the 90-day cooldown before I can withdraw them again?
If I keep the funds instead of returning them, will I pay both witholding tax and income tax? To my knowledge no withholding tax has yet been charged on this sum.
Advice would be appreciated.

quote:

[–]RobotCowhand 2 points 1 day ago
Sorry to hear this happened to you. May I ask how you managed to close on property but the deal fell through? I thought once things are closed it's done.

quote:

[–]Devious-Throwaway[S] 1 point 21 hours ago
By "closed" I mean the seller and I had agreed on the terms. The deal was killed by the mortgage insurer, who got nervous when they saw my high credit card balances (a deliberate choice I took in order to maximize down-payment cash on hand). I'll know better for next time.

Pretty low grade BWM, I wonder if he got advice regarding his credit card balances in the past. Oh look:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/60kbty/seeing_a_mortgage_broker_can_i_do_anything_to/ posted:

Seeing a Mortgage Broker; Can I Do Anything to Improve My Outlook? (self.PersonalFinanceCanada)
submitted 1 month ago by Devious-Throwaway
I learned last week I'm getting evicted. I didn't foresee buying a place anytime soon, but now I'm making plans to see a mortgage broker and shop for a basic condo in the $200K price range.
The good:
I've been with the same company nearly nine years and I gross about $90K annually.
I have great credit.
Housing prices are down in my market.
I have a $40K RRSP plus another $1K in a TFSA.
I just received an above-average tax return of nearly $8K.
I'm a first-time home buyer.
The bad:
I owe $12K on a car
I owe $23K across a couple of credit cards. Yes I have a spending problem. Yes I'm stupid.
So here are my questions:
Am I likely to have any trouble securing a mortgage?
Anything I can/should do within the next couple of weeks to improve the optics of my financial situation?
Would I have any debt consolidation options to accompany a mortgage?
What should I do with the ~$10K sitting in my chequing account?
Apply it to my consumer debt?
Keep it to ensure I can clear the 20% down-payment threshold?
Grateful for any advice.

LOL deliberate choice my rear end.

quote:

[–]lemonsalad89 3 points 1 month ago
1) you should have no issues being approved for a 200k property based on your income as along as your credit is good as you say.
2) I will address this later.
3) there is no direct debt consolidation with a mortgage but this is connected to 2) and I will address below.
4) keep it for a 20% down payment. Since affordability shouldn't be a concern even with the credit card debt, you are better off skipping the approx 3k-7.5k in CMHC fees rather than an immediate interest reduction from the CC's.
However, I would recommend you also apply for a line of credit (probably not the best option based on your spending habits) or a loan to pay off the credit card debt. No sense paying 20% interest.

Well that sure worked out for him.

quote:

[–]chaitea97 1 point 1 month ago
I'm curious, where do you live that you can get a condo for 200K
permalinkembed

quote:

[–]Devious-Throwaway[S] 1 point 1 month ago
Believe it or not, Fort McMurray. Lots of folks have left town since the apocalypse, and prices might go even lower with the glut of newly rebuilt homes about to hit the marker.

Carrying lots of consumer debt and living/working in the diverse and healthy Fort Mac oil economy, I can't imagine why lenders aren't beating down his door.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Friendly reminder that BWM-topical movie The Wizard of Lies is getting good buzz and premieres on HBO tomorrow night.

Hm. Is premium cable BWM?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Konstantin posted:

Yes, because HBO has a streaming service. Not cord-cutting is very BWM.

Not in Canada, no HBO Go here. You can't even buy episodes on itunes or other a la carte services until the new season of a show has already started. And they love to send you "notice and notice" letters if you pirate their poo poo, not that this stops.

Paying for media in Canada is ethical but BWM.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

kimcicle posted:

A lease is for a single vehicle with a set timeline. What he's talking about is a car subscription service, like BOOK, where you pay a flat rate every month and continually get cars. They cover insurance and maintenance with unlimited mileage, and you get to switch out cars on the regular (SUV for weekend roadtrips, small sedan for daily driving, etc).

I can't see this ever happening and being profitable but that's never stopped a startup before I guess.

That said, Autoshare/Zipcar/etc are great services if you very rarely need cars and want to rent by the hour.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's just a fine. It's not like you're going to jail or anything. But I think she's a government employee now and I'm not sure they're allowed to endorse products without going through an approval process.

Check the date, she might get fined but she wasn't a govt employee then.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
It was weirdly sympathetic to the sons and the wife. They turned that around by the end a bit where the one son was like 'who the gently caress am i to complain I lived in luxury even if I wasn't complicit' but then the movie didn't exactly focus on the victims much. This is more of a problem with the medium than anything though, people don't tune in to see what happened to some dude who lost his life savings and blew his brains out.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

theHUNGERian posted:

Since then it has been down hill, the last three positions being gas station manager, Uber driver, and finally MLM. Sigh.

Despite the fact you're getting hosed pretty hard, MLM is not a "position"... just sayin'.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just saw an Uber/Zipcar crossover ad: you can rent a Zipcar to drive for Uber.

I actually wonder how the math works. Zipcar covers insurance, and you don't own the asset so you have none of the depreciation costs. It might actually be GWM.

Or maybe it will make the sub-minimum wage income glaringly obvious since the costs aren't deferred anymore.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For one hour's driving let's figure on what, about 25 VMT, and at least on some stats that I found in my city an Uber driver's hourly takehome at full utilization is about $23/hr.

55 cents a mile vehicle cost leaves the driver with an owned vehicle with about $13.75 pre-tax.
A zipcar at $7/hour leaves the driver at $16/hour pre-tax but does not include fuel, so figure on another $3 for a gallon of gas to drive 25 miles. That would basically make it a push (but significantly reduce the driver's risk, but also lower the driver's utility of owning a vehicle)

You need to calculate the overage rate, there's a per km charge in Canada if you go over 200km. In my experience Zipcar/autoshare/etc are great if you drive minimally and want a car for a few hours at most but once you start to hit their daily maximum and/or their km overage more than a few days per month it's cheaper to rent the traditional way or just own a car.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

quote:

He started telling his colleagues that he was going to retire soon. “They’d say, ‘That’s pretty neat. But I have three kids.’ Or: ‘I like horses.’ ”

Heh.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

quote:

The next day, Julian checked Robert’s references, which were neither glowing nor damning. We hired him, figuring we could always replace him if things didn’t go well.

quote:

A few weeks after we hired Robert, we made the overdue decision to fire him.

Before we had the chance, Robert called with some bad news. He had lost control of the Bobcat, he said, and a four-foot section of the foundation had caved in.

quote:

As soon as Robert had secured the foundation, we met him at a coffee shop on Queen and fired him. He didn’t go quietly. He wanted to stay and complete the rest of the house, or, as he called it, the “cream” of the project. He pulled out his tattered black log book and told us we owed him $20,000—on top of the $30,000 we’d already handed over. We countered with a list itemizing the $100,000 we had paid to make up for his incompetence. In the end, we gave him roughly $6,000, just to be rid of him.

quote:

We hired him, figuring we could always replace him if things didn’t go well.

Hahahahaha these people are so amazingly stupid.

quote:

We hired him, figuring we could always replace him if things didn’t go well.

I'm dying.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Amazing. How many subscribers does he have?

Edit: Also lol @ yelling at the people who paid this kid's way that they need to continue supporting him forever because of some ... duty to support artists? Holy poo poo.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Last I checked he has about 1,000 subscribers.

Holy poo poo, he's leaving literally TENS OF DOLLARS per month on the table, he needs to turn on monetization STAT!

(I bet 90% of those are follow for follow too.)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Doesn't Youtube pay you based on how many people watch ads and what type of ads they watch? What is the advantage to "follow for follow" subscribers?

You're correct, it's based on views. But a high-subscriber channel looks popular and encourages "real" followers, or so I've read.

(I'm no expert on this stuff though.)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So Father's Day is coming up, and we need to get gifts for several men in our lives. I suggested to my wife that we dispense with the "try to guess what they want" bullshit and give cash, because receiving cash they have license to get a thing they wanted but we couldn't select. Everyone in our family thinks they're really good at selecting and giving gifts, and they're not - they're terrible and we accumulate crap like nobody's business.

She says it's insensitive, that people would be offended, etc. etc. etc.

Good with money or bad with money?

Gift cards are the defacto "giving cash without being gauche and actually giving cash" gift, hth.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

A lot of mental health drugs have weight gain as a side effect, and it can get pretty extreme. This person needs a case worker and a better safety net :smith:

Edit: Jeez, this is in Canada? I thought you were better than us, Canada.

If you're comparing us to the usa that's a low loving bar to be "better than". Her doctors are free but drugs are not automatically free. In Ontario if you're on disability you get free drug coverage for certain approved drugs but working will interfere with your benefits.

In any case, it's a super sad situation.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Here's an article about how lovely drug pricing is in Canada, with a short bit about someone in a similar situation as that reddit poster - in her case she has coverage but only because the drugs are on an approved list: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/this-is-why-canada-has-the-second-highest-medication-costs-in-the-world

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

See also: cheques not clearing instantly.

Cheques are pretty lovely in general.

If you write post-dated cheques it's worth knowing that they can be cashed anytime. The date might as well not even exist.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

My bank wouldn't let me cash a check that was post-dated a year in advance (roommate wrote the wrong year) so it has some relevance in some places.

Yeah in Canada the policy is the bank shouldn't honour the cheque, but there's no penalty to them if they do as far as I know. You can get it reversed but that's cold comfort if that cheque put you into overdraft and other stuff starts bouncing.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

This is amazing. If you asked 100 people on the street if you can lose more than you invest in the market, 99 of them would say 'no' so I can completely understand why this guy ended up getting screwed. He should lawyer up, though I'm not sure if it will make a lick of difference.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Sheets?! Who can afford sheets after making their $700 per month mattress payment?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

MaiaN posted:

Saw this on imgur and chuckled. In 1986 United Way of America released 1.5 million balloons in Cleveland and

Source
A news article with more details

Oh man, way to bury the lede, this balloonfest thing in general was amazingly BWM! They spent half a million dollars releasing those stupid balloons and got sued multiple times over it. Two people drowned who *maybe* could have been saved if the coast guard hadn't been grounded by those balloons. Amazing.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Want to be a fly on the wall when he says the wrong thing to a cop and they put a boot on his lambo the next time he does this.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

NancyPants posted:

Eh, people usually only do that when trying to get out of the ticket. Doesn't sound like he even tried, he just considered it the cost of parking there.

I'm more imagining him just chatting with the cop and being "funny" about his parking tickets in a completely out of touch way and the cop being like "gently caress this guy" the next day.

Edit: I'm just saying sometimes "all cops are bastards" meets "rich bros are out of touch" and it's funny when this happens.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 27, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I would also accept a scenario where there is a fire nearby and the firetruck has to ram the car out of the way. :allears:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Lol why would they ever boot someone like that who gladly donates the cost of a ticket to the city on a regular basis? Don't kill your golden goose and all

Yeah I know, it's rare but,

Cold on a Cob posted:

Edit: I'm just saying sometimes "all cops are bastards" meets "rich bros are out of touch" and it's funny when this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, so is eating healthy.