Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My local comic shop always has a big sale the weekend after Free Comic Book Day. So people who come in for FCBD see the fliers for the sale. I always thought that was pretty clever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I petition for this every year but the owners think having sales on FCBD is the way to go.

I don't know anything about retail or psychology, but it seems kinda obvious to me that if you get someone to come to your store twice in quick succession, it's way more likely that they'll come back a third time

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

It's a question of whether they'll come back a second time at all. Like a good chunk of people might come in on FCD and then buy some sale items also, but if there was just ads for a sale next week they'll come in, take some free comics then leave and not think about it again.

It seems to work for the store, They're always super packed during the sale, and with a wider variety of people than the typical comic crowd

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madkal posted:

I wanna read more books! Any recommendations for books/novels written by comic book writers. I have already read all of Gaiman's stuff, as well as Ellis's Crooked Little Vein and Machine Gun.

The Bas-Lag trilogy (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council) by China Miéville are really good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dan Abnett wrote something like fifty Warhammer 40k books, you could read all of those.

edit: not actually a joke, the Thousands Sons/Prospero Burns duology is good even if you aren't a Warhammer fan

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 5, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

BSS Fact: People were absolutely in love with the Udon Taskmaster costume, if DC had adopted the Udon Taskmaster costume (NOT THE STUPID SKULL COSTUME RRRRRRRRRR) it's entirely possible Marvel would be out of business right now due to the sheer awesomeness of DC having Identity Crisis, Jeph Loeb, and Udon Taskmaster all at the same time in 2006.

There is nothing cooler than a man in a short sleeved hoodie

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

This thread feels like it's pandering what with all the old character cameos crammed into it for no reason.

The middle aged white guy who used to own the Rhyno account turned out to be a Skrull, the new Rhyno is a Hispanic teen girl.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

No one would be able to have discussions, which wouldn't motivate people to post, it would just be people yelling into the void, so eventually it'd just be Dark Anime Tits saying that the most recent Red Hood comic was awesome.

Is Dark modifying Anime or Tits?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read the first two volumes of East of West. I don't like it. It seems cool, but I don't think it actually is. It's like a trick, it's got this surface level coolness that isn't built on anything. It's got neat character designs and an alternate history setting and it's own mythos, but there's nothing to it. The character designs are neat but the characters are uninteresting, the alternate history doesn't end up creating an interesting or believable world, and the mythos doesn't have any real internal structure.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess the only thing to do about is stop caring about dumb stuff artists say and just enjoy or not enjoy their work on it's own merits

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

everything is made by monsters

Except for Fatty Arbuckle movies, ironically.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

Or you could simply not support lovely artists and support some of the many not-lovely artists, or at least the ones smart enough to not flagrantly wave their rear end in a top hat flag where everyone can see it.

Man, I don't want to get rid of my Rat Queens trades just cause Roc Upshurch is an abuser

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's just so easy for sometone to be revealed to be an rear end in a top hat or just say something stupid on the internet these days. Back in the day you'd never hear about some author's lovely political views unless he inserted them in his work. I kinda hate the idea that now that we're more interconnected than ever and it's so easy for people say poo poo that everyone will hear, the conclusion to that is that we all start cutting stuff out of lives that we'd otherwise be fine with

And it's not like it goes the other way, I could find out tomorrow that Greg Land is a committed Marxist-Leninist and donates half his income to donkey sanctuaries, I'm still not paying for his garbage.

I'm not saying that my opinion is correct, or that yours is problematic or anything, it's just how I feel about things. There's so much media these days that everyone has to filter stuff. I just don't want the artist's beliefs or Twitter antics to be one of my filters.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zachack posted:

But you might, even though there are other not-lovely artists that don't wave their rear end in a top hat flag everywhere.

I think there's a difference between being an rear end in a top hat on Twitter and murdering hundreds of civilians with flying death robots

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys seen the trailer for that Death Note movie?

It's not looking good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The main character is still named Light. But he's not Japanese, so they had to change his last name because it would be weird to have a white guy named Light Yagami.

So he has the totally normal American teen name of Light Turner

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Is Light any more normal in Japan?

Yeah. I don't think it's common, but it is a name in Japan. It's spelled with some combination of kanji that can be pronounced together as "Raito" or Light

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really like Silk's costume. It's very obviously Spider-Manish, but distinctive. She's got the torso webbing pattern, but the S makes it part of her symbol, an S in the middle of a web, instead of just being like Spider-Man. The bandana is distinctive and the the lack of a full head mask lets her hair flow freely, which looks great when you have a character whose going to spend a lot of time flying through the air in big arcing motions and hanging upside from things. For the life of me I will never understand why they gave her a short haircut later.

Spider-Gwen's outfit is good too, the hoodie and chuck taylor soles communicate "teen hero" super well. It's so much better than just having her skateboard around and wear Jnco's or whatever dumb poo poo they did with teen heroes in the 90s.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

literally the only good look Storm has had

Wait no I think when she was the queen of Wakanda she had some badass royal garb too

Her anime outfit wasn't bad, although I mainly like it for the shoulderpad cape

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

The X-Men have a lot of terrible costumes where it fluctuates between everyone having a themed uniform that really makes them pop as a team but doesn't highlight anyone, and everyone having an individual costume that is sabotaged with X motifs plastered to no end on every single belt buckle, armour joint, or clothing seam. Storm's Extraordinary X-Men one is a good example, where it's overall a decent costume using her traditional colours, but every time I see it I'm like is Storm still in the X-Men? because it's not a team uniform, but I'm reminded that yes she is because she has giant shields on her hips for no reason other than they have Xs on them, and her tool belts make an X and also her top is a cleverly hidden X and I think ok, just one of these would have been enough for a costume that isn't a team uniform. Magik's costume is the same. Colossus' I'm like why did you even bother making his shirt an X because he's wearing the traditional X-Men belt directly beneath it - at that point you're not even being clever about this, you just thought it was a great design motif and plastered it on everyone regardless.

The best version of that is the Fang of the Sun, where each member had their own unique cut and color of overalls

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

weird hip holes aside (I guess it's a leotard with pants over it? That's weird, Storm you got some weird fashion choices) I do appreciate a nice shoulderpad cape too.

Leotard under pants isn't that unusual

Of course, it's not very common to have the leotard so high cut that it exposes the hips, but this is Storm we're talking about. Storm suddenly deciding she didn't want to show off much skin or wear clothes that have unusually placed cutouts would be pretty weird

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
half capes are great, and when somebody tries to replace a costume with a half cape with a new costume without a half cape, it's always worse. Shazam and Power Girl are proof

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Green Lantern doesn't anymore, I guess, but they both used to crush Wonder Woman in sales.

Plus the autistic guy from the Big Bang Theory wears their shirts all the time. That's big exposure.

Comic book sales are pretty meaningless when you're talking about regular human beings

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read Wonder Woman: Earth One. It's good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

She decided at the last minute to put it on again for a few hours. Wil Wheaton wanted pics with her in costume so she couldn't say no.

It's OK to say no to Wil Wheaton

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Hey, if he was nice there's no reason to say no.

You're painting a disturbing picture of your romantic life

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol if you didn't realize 2016 is the new normal

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The IDW Judge Anderson comic was bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
slutty, sharp, argumentative women are the best

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most of the direct to DVD DC cartoon movies are really bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The two that I've seen most recently, Justice League vs. Teen Titans and Wonder Woman, were pretty bad. Teen Titans was made in 2016 but for some reason featured a ten minute long Dance Dance Revolution scene. And Wonder Woman made the bold creative decisions that Steve Trevor should be an rear end in a top hat, Paradise Island should actually be terrible, and they should defeat the god of war by doing war against him

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

Wasn't that Suicide Squad in all but name one decent?

Do you like Deadshot a lot? Do you think he's the coolest and Harley Quinn should date Deadshot instead of the Joker because Deadshot could beat up the Joker and Batman? If so, then yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL8uL1h8FA
Its weird seeing the old DCAU style in a new DC cartoon movie.

Wow, none of the jokes in that trailer worked

• Locked thread