Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Galvanik posted:

There was fake Sansa in the show?

The little play in Braavos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Teikanmi posted:

so apparently beric dondarrion is azor ahai :confused:

Pretty weird that they spoil that in the trailer.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Doing it in a cave years ago doesn't matter. Doing it now does.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty posted:

Last Deadwood update before this thread blows up on Sunday: season 3 good. Ending bad but season still better than 2. Couldn't not see Hearst as Raymond Tusk from House of Cards.

What HBO show do I do next

Have you heard of the cult classic Game of Thrones?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GaussianCopula posted:

I wonder how people will look back at it? Like will people in 10 years say "stop watching after season 4" - given that CGI will probably continue to improve and therefore the battle scenes, which are the saving grace of the later seasons for some, will not be that impressive anymore.

Like all nerd things there will never be a concrete answer. Some people will say the whole series was great and gently caress you if you disagree, others will says that the show sucked after King Robert died.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

D-Pad posted:

So I am re-watching the last season and in the 8th episode when Arya is getting her wounds bandaged the actress doing it asks her where she will go and what she will do. Arya asks what is west of Westeros and says all the maps stop there and she would like to find out. I think one of the Spinoffs is going to be in the future of the show's timeline and it will be Arya going to the "new world". Westeros is partly a British Isles analogue, it would be cool to see the GoT version of the new world as well.

Westeros is America. Children of the Forest are the native americans, First Men are the early settlers, Andals are the later settlers. The Westerlands with all their gold is California; Dorne with its weird customs and dark skinned people, is Mexico; THE NORTH is Canada; Kings Landing is Washington.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nah Westeros is very much the british isles, it's like, direct allegory and poo poo. Just replace the valyrians with the romans and the whole geography falls into place rather unambiguously.

And also gurm wasn't super creative with the maps and southern westeros is literally Ireland flipped around.

Yeah I know this is the accepted belief but I can make up my own goddamn it!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Diqnol posted:

Aren't there a whole lot of Iron Islands?

Yeah like 10 but they're all the same: big rear end rocks full of nothing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Phi230 posted:

The very fact that the CSA has somehow maintained parity with the Union in their universe does not bode well

No you see this agricultural society that had almost no infrastructure could absolutely keep up with an industrialized nation for 150 years.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty posted:

If there's one thing this thread needs it's pages of southern slave economy chat

I don't know if they have slaves. I think summer islanders just really love working in Dorne for some reason.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I wish the directing/editing were more uniformly terrible.The greyscale cutting to Hot Pie's hot pie was pretty ah...I guess just terrible in a different way. :barf:

They did that last week too with the bedpans switching to people eating stew.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Skinty McEdger posted:

I may have blinked and missed it, but was there ever any indication how Euron knew that the targets he aimed to take would be on that boat sailing in that direction, other than he had read the script?

Well he was leaving King's Landing and the Kids were sailing from Dragonstone south to Dorne so they probably just bumped into each other.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Has Clarke done any other work we could use as a control to figure out whether she's actually bad at acting or just being badly directed in Game of Thrones?

She was in one of the Terminator movies. The last one.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok in the business side of things what's the difference between a six 2-hour episode season and a 12 1-hour episode season? It seems really silly to me.

I don't think they're going to be a flat 2 hours. It's just a 2 hour slot so the episode can run an hour and a half or an hour and 40 minutes or whatever. Whatever they feel is necessary.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I wanted Casterly Rock to be taller than The Wall. I was okay with every single thing the show did until that but now I HATE IT.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sydin posted:

Kinda makes you wonder why Robert was making GBS threads his pants so much at the thought of a Dothraki hoard crossing the narrow sea. We know from season one that their weapons can't pierce plate, and it looks like without the backing of a dragon they'd get owned by simple shieldwall tactics. And that's not even getting into the Vale Knights, which are like a 10k strong heavy cavalry unit fully decked out in plate.

Like I thought the whole deal was that they were horse archers and would use harassment tactics ala the Mongols, but no lol they're just light cav who will happily charge headlong into a wall of pikes.

Yeah why would they be worried about a bunch of dudes on horseback who kill literally everyone they find like mega locusts.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shneak posted:

Two hour episodes where characters literally teleport in and out of scenes.

I'm down if they do the Star Trek transporter sound.

"Littlefinger you didn't even do anything"
[spock "Didn't I?".gif]

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 6, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Wasn't Aegon the one who destroyed Harrenhal and the entire ruling family of the Reach?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The Dothraki had archers too. I remember a guy like squatting on a horse shooting an arrow.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
What if Qyburn is a white walker in disguise?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Speaking of great houses why does King's Landing still have the stag in this season's intro? Everyone who even supposedly had Baratheon blood is dead.

Cersei is technically a Baratheon since she married in, maybe?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Bran being the new Night King would be amazing. Just all these scary rear end ice wizards and then some kid they have to drag around

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Zombie mermen.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

precision posted:

this guy's accent is hilarious, i can't even figure out what it is

Some variation of Southern.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Soul Glo posted:

He sounds like AJ Styles, probably a Carolina accent like him

AJ is from Georgia.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Probably already said, but I didn't get why Cercei bothered with the fake rousing speech about joining forces and how she's totally doing them a solid. Even if Jamie didn't end up riding north to tell them about the doublecross, they're all going to notice the lack of Lannisters up there anyways.

But I guess it works as a stall tactic when you're working with the bizarro time passage of this show, where a whole army will march off and probably get halfway across the continent before noticing that their allies aren't coming with.

Her plan is to let the idiots up north die and then worry about fighting the nigh-unstoppable army of the dead later. I guess her plan is to send the golden company to Moat Cailin?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SirKibbles posted:

Example 1 : Using a museum to shoot the Dorne scenes which limits where they can shoot and how (fights and time of day etc)

Is this real? They couldn't find anywhere in the world to stand in for Dorne but a museum?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DandyLion posted:

Winds of Winter is coming out in a combo pack with Star Citizen.

Winds of Winter/Half Life 3 combo set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I don't get how that will stop leaks. People will just post all the endings and folks will pick the worst one and be right.

• Locked thread