Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013
In for a penny, in for a stag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

There's a white dragon? I thought the big one was black and the two little ones were green and orange.

Orange is the new white.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Feast and Dance both have very linear story lines the only issue some people have with them is that some of those story lines are very ancillary to the main plot which does not move a lot. I'd even argue that those books are a hell of a lot easier to turn into a TV series than ASOS because most of the action is indoors and dialogue, not huge battle scenes. The Winterfell plot is just masterfully written and you could probably make a season just about that.

Are you talking about the winterfell plot with fake Arya?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's still a guy in the bad thread that just said he expects the book to be completed this June. It's sweet in a way.

I didn't know the bad thread still exists. Do you have a link?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh boy, I'm just so tired of all these throne games.

Titular line.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Lady Stoneheart is as dumb of a plot line as Farya.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I've never read the books but I understand that they're more like 98% poo poo filler soooo

Not at all. At least 10% is dedicated to boiled leather.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

Did Ned say "I am here, SISTER OF MINE THAT IS DEAD IN THE CURRENT TIMELINE" in the tower scene? If not I can see people not even knowing who she was and think Ned is just raising some random baby as his.

Right before the fight he goes "where is my sister" or something like that.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, for seasons 5-6 they could have relied on ADWD & AFFC, which would have been enough content for 3-6 season, at which point GRRM might... well might have died and someone else got to finish the story.

Just lol if you think 6 seasons of those books could ever be compelling in any way. Not that much really happens in them, there is tons of filler and plot lines that go nowhere.

At the end of it we still wouldn't have winds. Im fine with the direction they took, ups and downs and all.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yup. by the end of s4 it was obvious the showrunners were slamming on the breaks to give GRRM some headroom and he...released a new chapter. It's why almost all of s5 sucked and s6 was so much better because they strongarmed him finally into giving the overarching plots so they could just make their show and be done with it the way they wanted (since the other way was 3 decades out apparently).

I think that if they had known winds wasn't coming, purple wedding/tyrion's trial would have been season 3/beginning of season 4 and we would have never seen even less Dorne.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm pretty sure the Sean Bean dies meme wasn't a thing before Ned. If it was then it definitely wasn't as common knowledge.

Naah it was. I remember joking about it with book readers when he was cast as Ned.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

In the show it doesn't seem to be the case. Jon clearly still eats, breathes, has visible breath in cold etc.

Berric also still bleeds when he's killed again iirc

Ser Doesn't Give a poo poo Anymore posted:

... but the burning sword snapped in two, and the Hound's cold steel plowed into Lord Beric's flesh where his shoulder joined his neck and clove him clean down to the breastbone. The blood came rushing out in a hot black gush.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

VaultAggie posted:

I can't wait for the HBO servers to melt down and everyone watching on HBO now desperately refreshing their browser.

That is always the saddest part.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Here we go. HBO Now working well on Xbox One

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
The episode was good. The real Negus agree with me. Therefore this thread is bad and wrong.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Grrm's bittersweet alley.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

GRRM just announced no TWOW this year, and despite all the bullshit promises about setting aside distractions he's working on Fire & Blood which might actually come out first

:laffo:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

years ago when people were complaining the book wasn't out neil gaiman said that grrm "isn't your bitch".

Hell, this song that references that quote is 5 years old at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

IRQ posted:

I've been saying for a good 10 years now that if Gurm would just admit that he's done, stalled, not sure where to go, whatever, with ASOIAF then I wouldn't hate him for it, but he insists that he's still writing these books like an rear end in a top hat. I completely understand selling out and wanting to just enjoy life, we'd all do it, he's just lucky enough that he had something to sell out with. If he wants to spend his years dawdling around blogging about football, buying movie theaters and wolf preserves, and perving out on girls a third of his age at nerd conventions, more power to him, but just admit that's the plan and the books are done you absolute fucker.

If he does that he'll be hounded to farm out the story to another writer and just oversee it. I get the feeling he's too invested from an "ownership" perspective to do that either.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SimonCat posted:

When there is that much money on the line, his last wishes won't mean poo poo once he's dead, kinda like old King Robert.

I thought that but Pratchett's estate has been very quiet. Some people probably don't give a poo poo if they have enough money.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Yeah that was bad

The entire scene was hacky, but at least that part made sense. Written terribly though.

I enjoyed most of the rest of it, however. And I like that poo poo is moving. Arya will be at winterfell next episode to chill w Sansa and Bran while Jon is off boning his cousin.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Cousin loving is way too pedestrian for Gurm. Jon will be loving his aunt.

Too bad the genders aren't reversed; it would've been amusing to see the Uncle Fucker song from the south park movie come back into vogue.

Shut your loving face, N'uncle fucker?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
"I'm the three-eyed raven"

"I don't know what that means"

That made me laugh my balls off.

Good episode. Some sloppy dialogue but it's to be expected at this point.

They keep moving though, killing people off and getting us to the end, which is all I want from it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Captain Splendid posted:

I am so tired of these throne games.

Maybe stop stowing away then.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

DoctorGonzo posted:

I stoped watching when they killed Stannis

Will you stop reading when George does the same?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Has there been any news from the guys who claim they hacked hbo

Wondering if the eps will get released early

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Everybody seems hyped on this episode I'm excited to watch it on the big screen tonight.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

RCarr posted:

Jabroni, obviously.

:perfect:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I like him but it's weird that they brought him back. I mean, did he leave the theater troupe to be a gold cloak?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Wife and I were discussing the lightning fast pacing when we watched last night, but the fact is there are just no locations left. We only have what, 4 locations? Sam just left oldtown so we can assume he's heading to winterfell. Once Jon reunites with Dany after heading north we will be down to 3. Once Dany decides to head north to fight the WW we'll be down to 2 major locations, north and south. IMO they are still actually stretching with extra battles and such. Yeah they are fun to watch but there's not much story to advance. Fighting the WW, Jon's parentage, dealing with Cersei. Are there any other major plot points left? It's not surprising it feels fast.

I hope it ends like the new WHAS and just has a 20 minute montage of everyone doing great.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

JBP posted:

What is WHAS?

Wet Hot American Summer. A silly series based on a silly movie.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
This episode was fun af.

Arya being creepy was great.

The dragon death was great.

Tormund saying he'd gently caress Gendry was great.

Tormund and the Hound both wanting Brienne was great.

It was all great.

Except Littlefinger. Plz kill tks.

And Jon/Dany. God they are awful actors.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This could just be a visual illusion (maybe the reflection of the camera man?) but it appears as though Longclaw is opening its eyes when Jon emerges from the water

Probably a shift in the light as I doubt they are that clever, but cool looking nonetheless

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Constant posted:

i think they're talking book poo poo fan fiction

jon is still dead for book readers :laugh:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Tormund kills Jaime in a jealous rage after he hears about Jaime and Brienne. Arya wears Jaime's face, fulfilling the volonqar prophesy.

Alternatively, Cersei dies during her miscarriage, leaving a very lame excuse for a volonqar as Jaime is the one who knocked her up.

Also the fetus will look like tyrion. This will be pointed out in a series of scenes starring qyburn.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Bran's actor says Bran = night king theory is dumb.

http://www.avclub.com/game-of-thrones-star-shoots-down-your-bran-night-king-t-1798663803

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Is winds of winter out yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So I watched X-Men Apocalypse this weekend while bored, and Sophie Turner isn't really any better in that, although I preferred her American accent.

• Locked thread