Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've just spent the past couple of months binge reading this entire thread from start to finish. It was an excellent read, although the BeatsmasterJ saga was a tad tiresome. It's been fascinating learning about different architecture and design styles, and it was really surprising to me how different houses seem to be in the US compared to here.

So I'm giving back by posting this charming property:

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-hendra-132013366

This house was built some time in the 1920s, I'd imagine. My Granddad bought it in the mid 60s as an investment property. I suspect the front left corner of the house that's labelled as 'sleepouts' in the floor plan may have originally been an L shaped verandah - that would have been more in keeping with the Queenslander style from that era.

Last year the elderly tenants that had been living there for over 20 years moved to a retirement community, and my Granddad decided to sell rather than spend the 50k or so that would have been needed in renovations to bring it to a fit state for new tenants. Original Queenslanders are really popular, and people who buy them tend to want to restore them themselves to their own taste, so it didn't do much harm leaving it in a relatively shabby state.

The house has a ton of charming character features from Queenslanders of the era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

I love that house/layout.

So do I. And so did a few people I guess because it was only on the market for 4 days. Obviously the place needed a ton of work done to it by the new owner so I'd love to have been able to see what it looks like after it's done.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 3, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wooger posted:

Nice house, lots of potential when it’s decorated for sure.

I don’t understand how such an old house can just have a garden that’s a flat square of grass, without even a tree. All the old folks in my country are 100% about having a nice garden.

It's been used as a rental property since well before my Granddad bought it in the 60s. You'll notice in the photos all the other houses around have lots of trees, and there's a big one in the front yard (Hendra is a very leafy neighbourhood, broad footpaths with lots of trees, etc). But Renters generally don't plant gardens, even if they were permitted to (they mostly aren't). Either my Grandparents or a previous owner probably razed everything and turned it into a lawn to minimise any maintenance that would be needed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, that needs some trees, wildflower beds and a greenhouse. Feed the bees and grow some veggies :)

Definitely. If it were my place I'd have a veggie patch and an emphasis on Australian native plants. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it's actually a double sized block of land - blocks that size are incredibly rare in inner city neighbourhoods like Hendra. My Granddad bought it super cheap in the 60s (around 7k pounds I believe) Because the previous owner had bought it with the intention of building apartments, but the city council told him to gently caress off. Hendra is very inner city, one of the oldest neighbourhoods, and it's full of old Queenslanders. It's illegal to demolish or significantly alter houses from that era, and new developments these days need to be in keeping with the surrounding styles.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 3, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Ok sell me on having double the floor space and plumbing used for essentially redundant purposes

Seriously, not joking, what's the benefit that outweighs those downsides? I've never experienced it

Bathtub showers generally mean compromising on the 'shower' part. For example, most bathtub showers have a curtain at best, rather than solid shower walls plus a door, which doesn't work as well to keep water where it's supposed to be. Also a bathtub by necessity has raised sides, which you have to climb over to get into, vs stepping easily into a shower (maybe not hugely relevant in your youth, but when you get old you'll wish you had a properly accessible shower). Standing in a bathtub is also more of a slipping hazard than in a shower stall. Cleaning a bathtub is also arguably more work.

Personally I'd rather just not have a bathtub and just have a nice shower if space or plumbing is a concern.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

There are some serious crimes against interior design being committed here.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/237-Maple-St-Stowe-VT-05672/75440739_zpid/

I kinda like it. Ceilings are too low for my taste though.

luxury handset posted:

check out this strong-rear end foyer

cool empty nest grown kids bedrooms too. yeah i wouldn't want to reconvert this back to a generic guest room either

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1209-French-Creek-Dr-Wayzata-MN-55391/1785906_zpid/

I like this one too, but in the sense that I like many of the rooms individually but they have no business being in the same house. There seems to be a weird fusion of Baroque mansion but also - I don't really know what it's called - that style with all the exposed varnished wood and vaulted ceilings.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Electric kettles are disgusting and I refuse to drink anything heated in one. If you need boiling water you should use a little saucepan on the stove or use the microwave.

Birkos are acceptable though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That sounds like bargain for what is basically a mansion. I'm always amazed at how cheap property is in most of the US. I live in Brisbane, which is one of the cheaper of the major Australian cities to live in, and 350k would buy you say this kinda crappy apartment in the middle ring (this is the building a friend of mine lives in):

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-greenslopes-132960078

Admittedly Roanoke is a pretty small city but even in regional cities here you'd still be getting far, far less than that for 350k.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I really like the living room.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Plus the carpet is eight years old and is generally kind of gross.

That's pretty young for carpet. The carpet in my house was laid down in 1968.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

there wolf posted:

I know this thread hates Mcmansions, but can you goons resist this one?

Typical mcmansion with some theme rooms and an indoor pool

But then, entire replica of the Starship Enterprise as a the home theater, with matching bathroom.

Permit me to insist that that is not the starship enterprise; or anything even vaguely resembling it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I like it, too, but there's a big problem with it - the dials for the electric elements are behind the elements.

Meaning you have to reach over them to turn them off.

Aren’t most stoves like that though?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm astonished how many of these house just do not have blinds or curtains of any sort.

And flyscreens. I'm horrified at the overall lack of flyscreens in American houses. I couldn't fathom living in a home that doesn't have screens on every door and window.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm just going by what I see in the pictures that get posted here. Most of them feature windows and doors without flyscreens, and it makes my skin crawl. I'm sure there are plenty of places that do have them; but I always considered them a universal constant, so to see so many places without them is confronting.

It's one of the interesting things about this thread - there are so many subtle and not so subtle differences in design trends with houses in the US, and other places that have been shown off here compared to here in Australia that I'd never considered before.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 13, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Just checking, but you noticed that many of the windows in pics on the last few pages don’t open, right?

I hadn't actually; and that's kinda disturbing to me as well. but to be clear I only discovered this thread a couple of months ago and I spent a few weeks binging the entire thing from start to finish (the beatmasterj saga was rough)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

there wolf posted:

Screens are also usually incorporated into storm windows, so unless they're in use at the moment or you're really up close, you're not going to see them.

Do giant picture windows usually open where you're from? A good thing to remember is that most US housing stock is incredibly young, like post-war well past the invention of AC young. Putting in a big, single pane window just for light was a thing in the mid-century on because you didn't have to rely on opening windows and doors for cool air.

I'm not entirely sure what a picture window is, so I don't think we have those; or at least the concept of windows in a residential building that aren't designed to be opened to let air in is extremely foreign to me. I've also never heard of storm windows before.

it's almost unheard of for houses or even apartment buildings in Australia to have central heating or AC. Lots of people have reverse cycle air-conditioning, in the form of a unit mounted on the wall connected to a box on the outside wall; but even 20 years ago that would have been considered an extravagant luxury, and although it's pretty common now most people would have one or two rooms air conditioned at best. I did some quick googling and it looks like around 25% of households don't have aircon, and the percentage of people with aircon has doubled in the past 20 years.

We tend to treat aircon and heating as last resorts - I wouldn't normally switch on the AC unless it was over 30c and there was no breeze. Most people that I know of would wear multiple layers of sweaters before they turned on a heater.

His Divine Shadow posted:

One time we even slept with the front and rear doors open because it was monstrously hot even during the night (+25C), one night we slept outside in the trampoline.

25c is a pleasant winter midday where I live. In summer it's frequently pushing 30 even in the middle of the night. 25c is what we normally set the aircon to.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

there wolf posted:

Behold! The average American window.

If you look through the window you can see a second pane with a metal frame. That's a storm window, basically a second layer of window that's lighter and removable; it provides extra insulation. The upper half is the screen which can be slid up or down so when I want an open window, I just move the glass storm window section up/down, and move the screen over the opening to keep bugs out.

Energy is pretty cheap in the US, so we love our AC, especially in the south where it gets super humid on top of the heat. I'm comfortable with just fans until it starts getting over 35, but I have to run it anyway just to keep the mold at bay.

Yeah we definitely don’t have storm windows. The overwhelming majority of us don’t even have double glazed windows. Or insulation for that matter.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Apparently the earth worm stuff is true:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_earthworms_of_North_America

I had heard of Hawaii having no mosquitoes before white men came, because of it being insulated. But not the whole of North America.

Imagine, a land without mosquitos... That would be a dream come true...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I can't even begin to imagine what that sold for. 10s of millions I would think. Even a hovel would sell for a million dollars there.

A lot of the furnishing are gorgeous; but it is way too cluttered with knickknacks

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 18, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

drgitlin posted:

They forgot to remove the 90 year old coot from one of the pictures.

She comes with the sale. She’s actually a ghost.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This fabulous historic queenslander style house in inner city Brisbane just sold for $13 million:

https://www.domain.com.au/14-sutherland-avenue-ascot-qld-4007-2016106061

It's gorgeous. I love the furnishings as well.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 19, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I mean if you've just dropped a cool 13 mill on a house you presumably aren't cleaning your own bathroom. When I said I liked the furnishings I meant the antique style furniture. I'm not the hugest fan of that bathroom, it looks totally out of place in that house and I would have done something more period appropriate.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Eastlake"

In short, an Eastlake Victorian can be differentiated from the later Queen Anne Free Classic style by a more "houselike" shape, upright with a main gable or pyramidal roofline, vs. sprawling into little bits and pieces. Also a lot more geometric patterns and lower relief on the copious ornamentation.
Now this is a fireplace.

Eastlake hardware was fancy af

not quite Neon Victorian but still pretty nice

This house is in Galveston, TX and I'm amazed it survived Harvey

A purple Victorian with a mid-century pink kitchen, mint green bathroom and quilt-piece tile fireplace surround? I'm here for it. Also holy crap Muskegon, MI is cheap.

This one's interesting because it was originally built in 1856 as a plain farmhouse and was remodeled in the Victorian period to a then-modern style. It's gorgeous.

Now that's a style I can get behind.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Greek key".
You know that square spiral pattern that kinda sorta looks vaguely swastika-adjacent? That thing.

why do so many listings for fancy old houses have photos taken by a potato

This mansion was built in 1998, but fine woodwork is timeless.

Another well-done ginormous multi-million dollar historic-modern mansion, this one built in 2006.

On the other end of the spectrum, way out in Canton, IL this 1890s beauty can be had for $143k. A little rough on the outside but inside it's well-preserved.

BONUS: I can't actually use swastika as a search term because nobody is going to advertise that their house has swastikas, but the house with the potato photo above happens to have a swastika bathroom

at least they're facing the other direction?

A 'back to front Swastika ' is an ancient eastern religious symbol, used especially in Hinduism and Jainism which the nazis co-opted.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That's a very strange bathtub. Possibly it's meant to be something else? Like a dedicated dog washing area/muddy boots cleanup area. I know in many households that sort of thing is the only thing a bathtub gets used for.

Also that is an aggressively 1970s house; I hate it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Older houses in Australia tend to have high ceilings, although even our oldest houses are mostly much younger than the colonial era houses being discussed in the US. My house has 16' ceilings.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheMightyHandful posted:

Its because its hot as hell here, keeps it cool

In my experience because at least a third the height of the wall is above the windows, hot air rises and gets trapped up there with nowhere to go. Most of the time my house is hotter inside than outside in summer; and freezing cold in winter. This may just be my house being badly designed though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy poo poo. I think my house has 8' ceilings. If I had huge amounts of money to throw around and built new, I'd go for somewhathigher ceilings, but 16'? You might as well hang a hammock from the ceiling for sleeping in winter, since that's where all of your heat has gone.

In winter the house is freezing cold. Remember this is an Australian house so it doesn't have insulation, or central heating or double glazed windows or anything like that. 80 - 100 year old leadlight windows also don't do a great job keeping out draughts.

It's actually really annoying. When I need to change a lightbulb on the chandelier in my bedroom; I have to stand on a stepladder that's as tall as I am, and I still have to reach above my head to change the bulb. It's actually pretty scary. I haven't cleaned the dust filter on my bedroom aircon unit in over a decade because it's on the wall behind my desk 13' in the air.

drgitlin posted:

They live in the Koala Kingdom, it’s never going to be colder than 25C there from now on.

Daytime temps in winter are typically in the low 20s, at night it drops down to 10-12C, rarely it can get as low as 6-8. I would typically be wearing 3 layers of sweaters sitting in my room in winter. I sleep with 3 heavy blankets on my bed for 2 months of the year.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

That's the point of transom and clerestory windows, louvers (no not louvres, we speak 'murican round here) and attic vents in old houses. And why so many had/have sleeping porches attached to the upstairs bedrooms.

Yeah my house doesn't have any of those things. My bedroom is ventilated by a bay window with 6 leadlight windows in it (4 in width and one on each side of the bay). The top of the windows line up with the picture rail, which is roughly 2/3 of the way up the wall. All of the internal and external walls of the house are brick, and more than 1' thick. Attics are extremely uncommon in Australia. There is a ceiling cavity between the roof and the upstairs ceiling, which can be accessed from what is essentially a manhole in one corner of the kitchen ceiling. It periodically functions as accommodation for a family of local possums. It may have vents to the outside but who knows if they're even unblocked.

There is also this vent-like thing near the ceiling in my bedroom:

There seems to be a corresponding vent on the other side of the wall outside, but I've never seen light shine through it, and the wall is super thick like I said so who knows if there's even a direct path for air.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

I'm guessing that back in the day it didn't get nearly as hot in your part of Australia as it does now. Lots of houses in central Virginia were built with cold weather in mind since it actually used to snow regularly. Now it's hot most of the year so the old houses have turned into big brick ovens. Though my apartment building built in 1817 does have transoms over the original doorways and (leaky) windows that go up to the ceiling, which help a lot to keep things comfortable.

I'm in Queensland, it's definitely hotter now, but we've always had hot humid summers with temps over 30. I think my house was just built by an idiot. There are a lot of strange design choices.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If you had a well insulated house, it'd keep out the warmth as well as keeping it in during winter. Really makes having an A/C more energy effective too.

Oh I know. Sadly insulated houses are extremely rare in Australia and even in new construction I believe it isn't the norm. We installed aircon in 2005 though, though only in my room and my Dad's bedroom.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My rule of thumb is that if the description for a residential space includes the word ‘industrial’ you should run away very fast.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

How did they get all those tiles to line up like that?

It just happened randomly. It's a well known fact that it's impossible to predict how tiles will line up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kase moch posted:

Were they not planning on bathing often or did they have time for a 40 minute luxurious soak every day

Before the widespread adoption of the shower it wasn't the norm for people to bathe daily. In plenty of cultures around the world it still isn't. The modern western trend of showering once or even twice a day started much more recently than you might think - around the 60s in the US and later elsewhere. In the 1930s the norm would have been more like one bath a week. Plenty of houses built in the 30s or 40s might not even have had running water originally depending on where they were built. Even having a room dedicated to bathing was something only relatively affluent people did until about the mid 20th century. Before that you set up a tub in the kitchen or a bedroom if you wanted a bath.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nessus posted:

Yeah, like they weren't totally filthy or anything, but the norm would have probably been you take a good long soak on Sunday and on the days in between you used a washcloth to clean off your face and soap to wash your hands as needed.

exactly. And while I don't advocate a return to that, an increasing number of skin experts are saying we're overdoing it with the showering now, and it's starting to cause problems.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Argas posted:

You can take showering everyday away over my dead wrinkly body.

I shower every day too mostly. Sometimes I'll skip a day if I'm not going to leave the house that day. But plenty of people shower twice a day, and they use harsh soaps full of artificial crap to boot. Plenty of people are dousing themselves with chemicals from the cheap popular aerosol antiperspirant sprays. It's excessive and bad for you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

there wolf posted:

As opposed to the all-natural soap that grows from trees...

Most cheap soap is full of junk ingredients they are harsh on your skin. You can also buy good quality, traditionally made soap.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

There’s also the native Australian soap nut which indigenous Australians used before colonisation. You can buy it at hipster stores.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MetaJew posted:

What about castile soap? That's supposed to be pretty gentle?

Yeah I was talking about Castile soap. It’s made from olive oil.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Dr. Bronner's is a excellent brand
https://www.drbronner.com/

This is the stuff I buy and it's amazing:

https://freshwaterfarm.com.au/collections/all-products

The handwash and shampoo bars are great as well.