Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Needs more wine and oxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

learnincurve posted:

Sensible obligatory reminder that you should be very careful when buying early plastic stuff, anything containing celluloid has a tendency to explode if knocked, dropped or hit . Bakelite was the solution to that problem, but you should buy named stuff like the above and not anything off brand as knock offs were a thing. :)

OTOH this sounds fun to buy and make it do an explode

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Don Dongington posted:

Carpets are coming out because there's solid jarrah boards underneath.
We're going to paint the siding in the living room because with dark wood floors and those beams it'll be just a bit too much wood.
I'm going to re-do the kitchen lighting at some point, but I don't want to ruin it with lovely can lights or other awful modern poo poo, so it might cost a bit. Ideas on that very welcome.

As for furnishings, we're going to get rid of a lot of our postmodern/ikea shite in favour of second hand finds on Gumtree (Australian Craigslist) and facebook marketplace. We'll try to get as much dark wood stuff as we can find (I've already tracked down a dining table and a display cabinet). In Australia there are only really 2 viable timber options: pine or jarrah, so there's tonnes of jarrah stuff floating about.

For lighting look at swag lights for the ultimate MCM look. There are some that are around that IKEA straight up ripped off. If you google danish swag it should get you an idea.

To brag I have a teak one for the living room that I need to clean up, condition, rewire and hang.

Update! I got the wall unit set up. I have a ton of clean up to do around it and rethink my hall way wall. I'm thinking about painting it a warm white. It's most of the length of the house and goes from the front door to my bathroom door. Also taking down all my posters and archiving them bc I was too cheap at them time when I framed them. Getting a wall mount to hang my bike out of the way too. Working with 750sq ft is fun.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I thought I needed to move for more space until I finally got furniture that actually has storage and lots of functions

Ask me about having two 5' x 3' clothes closets and a small wall of cabinetry worth of storage in a 750 sq ft space.

I do have a cellar but it feels like a murder dungeon and hard to access.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Bad Munki posted:

I mean, it's a pretty f'in great tradition imo:

I do this every spring with my tree too :)

I don't have a pit so it's a little more interesting in terms of safety.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Wall "paper" went up this weekend. I don't recommend doing anything larger than a 10x10 wall because you'll hate yourself if you do anymore.

Junk pick up is this weekend so I get to rip out some carpet. :dance:

Some clean up needed near the corners but I'm very happy with it. Makes the room look bigger and with winter coming I can pretend I'm somewhere else.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
One of the wall mounted tables that fold up and some folding chairs are you best bet if you want guest seating or a bar style wall long table against mounted to the wall. That's such an awkward space.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ikea's Galeg table might be your answer. I think you're going to get tired of walking around the table.

Leave it up for a week like the second configuration and see how you feel.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yo do you got any good places for mid-century style hardwood dining tables that I haven't already heard of? I wanted to get this solid brass bistro table from CB2 but Much Larger Brontosaurus shot that down because "neither of us are dictators" :colbert:

Where are you located because i know some good dealers in the midwest. They all do vintage though not new. There's a couple in Michigan who seem to not be able to keep Brazilia away from them. If you want to go vintage really stalk your craigslist and the surrounding areas.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Los Angeles, sadly. All sources of vintage furniture here are insanely picked over or insanely marked up (by the people who did the over-picking). I even finally made the excursion to the legendary Rose Bowl Flea Market and was pretty disappointed in the furniture offerings. So I think I'm gonna buy new but vintage-inspired, just looking for something nicer than West Elm but cheaper than DWR.

I've heard the west coast is brutal in terms of MCM vintage. :(

Have you looked at Joybird?

https://joybird.com/

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My friend had boxes of laminate flooring sitting around so now I get to cry into my subfloor as I square off an old house.

Wish me luck everyone.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Jaded Burnout posted:

I am watching with rapt attention because I'm soon going to do the same thing.

I'll post what I've learned and what I really used wrt to tools. My friend came over and helped me but I have to go back and fix everything because her sloppy jigsaw work is bothering me and will be hard to finish and I also hosed up at the threshold. I have a diamond tipped vinyl saw blade now and I don't even own a miter/table saw. But it's been a great learning experience.

Is that real Dorothy Draper wallpaper? Is it coming or going?

It is a decal from rockymountaindecals on etsy. I think someone did an outline/photoshop job because from what I've seen the real stuff has a larger pattern. It's literally 10'x3' sticky, removable vinyl. Despite being dark it really made the room look much bigger. Definitely staying.

This is what it looks like with all my other furniture with swag light that needs more cord. The light is real teak wood and I found it at a vintage shop in knoxville.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 9, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
^^^It's a pure dusty white hell and if you have any carpet in the room it will be trashed. My dad's house had it and I remember the forever saga of having it removed.

Top right was hell if you brushed against it. So many scratched arms.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'd do a deep clean and then touch up the paint. It's pretty crazy what a difference that makes.

If it was my house and all the essentials are ok and you're just doing cosmetics then I'd start with the flooring and trim, esp is you want to paint in the same room you want to change the floor. DIY floor project will teach you a lot and messing up won't really do any damage except for lost time and maybe some $$$

For paint my friend who used to work for sherwan williams says the more expensive paint is worth the price since it saves you time. Should be much more viscous.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 11, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I like that red but it wouldn’t work with my cabinets: srill hunting for something to go with pumpkin and royal blue. My kitchen is Mexico themed

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Blue light makes you look older so I would not

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What caused Raleigh to explode anyway? Suddenly it was a hot spot

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

cigaw posted:

That bathroom must be hell to navigate when drunk.

I would not go into that bathroom while tripping. No siree.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Room update! I moved all my furniture back in on Monday.

So finishing touches in a few weeks. Now shopping for baseboard. I'm thinking of a higher trim so I don't have to touch up paint (and the ceilings are 10ft) but probably keep it fairly minimal since there's a lot happening in this room. Already have a trim white paint picked out that pulls from the wallpaper. Shoe trim is debatable. My friends who I'd borrow an air compressor from are getting married this weekend so I want to give them some space.

I also have a Selig egg chair on its way to me to replace the Ekornes that is falling apart. :D

Still stalking the rug for the room for it to drop on clearance. It could use one. Also nicer dog bed for the doggos.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Eikre posted:

I like how that floor lamp you got plays off the geometry of the wallpaper but it's pretty busy right up against it. Wonder how it would be behind the couch, backed by a solid color.

Set off at an angle or straight above the couch?

Also picked up a selig egg chair. Relaxing in it now :D

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
sink and no where to put the dishes to dry either

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
For a room that small and dark I would also keep in mind a lighter/brighter color palette that contrasts off the wood. Go to home depot/lowes and pick out some swatches you like and bring them home. Keep them with you when shopping for furniture as a visual reminder. Take pictures and ask for a second opinion from a friend who's design intuition you trust (or just ask us). I'm a big fan of inspiration boards too. That west elm look is pretty dated and I would look through some eras of history and find what YOU like and throw it up on your board.

Your furniture is too dark and big really. Just swapping out for lighter furniture would make a huge difference. Mirrors also help make a room look bigger.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Don Dongington posted:

To align with the thread's fetish for midcentury, this is the correct answer.

Don't kink shame :D

Speaking of my fetish

Put in an offer on these posters.

What program is this? It's really cool.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 24, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Just face to bloodshed and grab some cool wallpaper for your "texture" :colbert:

Also I am MAD that my rug has not been marked down low enough for me to pull the trigger. It's black friday!!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls of all ages, the color of 2018 has been announced. Hold onto your butts, because the year of our lord 2018 shall be colored...................

ULTRA VIOLET!

looking at dribbble this has been 2017's color though

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

GEMorris posted:

Dribble contributors are truly thought and style leaders...

I like how it's close to what will likely be a reasonable description of 2018 as a whole: Ultra Violent

I just spend time there to get inspiration for work :kiddo:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yes they'll feel smaller thanks to perspective. Like how traffic lights are HUGE when not hanging. If it feels right in the scale drawing it will probably feel right when hung.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

red19fire posted:

I work as a photographer, is it bad taste to have my own work on the walls?

As a designer I have a few prints I made in college hanging around. I also have an enormous gig poster collection and some really nice prints from Nagel, Klein and McKnight along with some local stuff.

Basically if you like it put it on your wall. I don't shout about it, just fits in with the rest of what I collect. Also invest in nice frames. My gig poster collection could use an upgrade bad, but it's almost 20 posters and I should have framed them in something nicer from the start.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

This screams "I'm too cheap to do a proper reno and install actual drywall so I probably cut corners in other places too".

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

SubponticatePoster posted:

The couch doesn’t have a skirt, there’s a carved wooden rail at the bottom that also acts as the feet. Gives you a couple inches of clearance.

The other thing about “just sleep on the couch” is that it works fine for a single person, but if your friends are a couple then where does the other person sleep? Anyway I’ll be rehoming the massive couch so thanks for the prodding. Sometimes you just need a kick in the rear end.

I usually offer my bed since I live alone. It's how I had my mom and step dad stay with me.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Save both those bathrooms. They're great

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I don't like blonde wood either and I think it would look nicer in a walnut finish too.

If it was something that's hot right now like Brasilia (I don't know why there seems to be a gently caress ton of it around me) I'd off load it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you’re truly set on minimalist, I have some advice from my own failings to decorate it over the years. This isn’t so much a design post but a philosophical one.

As someone trying to cut back a lot this was a good effort post. I've also read the tidying book and loved it.

poo poo's hard to put into practice. My SO is much more minimalist than me after having to learn how to put his life in a pack for life at sea.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Little dude is finally showing some personality, which is nice. Newborns are cute, but I like the greater interaction. My wife is quasi stay-at-home (she can do most of her work from home), which I think is worse in a way: she can't escape work because there are no set hours, and there's always a distraction no matter how much we try to minimize them. I don't find your question regarding alienation absurd, just a specific and large jump from the prior hypotheses.

Full disclosure that I've only had to raise a puppy, but has she had a legit whole day off to herself yet? That one day my friend watched my puppy saved my sanity after months of running around socializing and training classes.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Facebook Aunt posted:

BTW, does anyone else kinda like that granny gothic velvet wallpaper? No? Just me? I haven't seen it inside a house decorated in the last 40 years. Maybe that means it is due for a comeback and it will be the next big thing. Fingers crossed.

My grandma still has hers plus the green shag.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
As the owner of a cream rug, I'd really consider the foot traffic. Mine is a busy pattern so stuff doesn't show up as much, but unless you're strictly shoes off it's going to show dirt very quick. I also got it with the intention of not having it around very long, like 2-3 years mostly because I want to move out of this place soonish.

I will say it's a fun rug to look at when you're :catdrugs:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I bought a MCM cabinet to hold my record player and amp and bar supplies/liquor. I keep it in my kitchen and also store my house plants on it. Fight me I guess??

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As a dog owner, having a shower that my dog can easily walk into makes bathtime a lot easier. He doesn't really appreciate being picked up.

I hate any wood inside a bathroom when I give my dog a bath too. They will get everything wet no matter their size and would rather have a complete wet room.

My house will have a tub though since I like baths.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah. The loft apartment vibe is bad, but since it is a shotgun shack there weren't a lot of options anyway, though the space likely isn't as enormous and echoy as it looks since real estate photos always try to make everything look bigger. 1100 feet should be pretty easy to cool with modern AC, but by the looks of that place there is no insulation so it's going to cost a fortune to keep that dumb loft cool.

The original design probably had the livingroom by the front door and the kitchen by the back door with the bedroom in the middle, which is just odd to modern buyers.

Strange.

I'm not sure there is a good way to update those single shotgun shacks, and if you tear them down the lot is too small to build something new with the setbacks required by modern code.

I live in one of these. My bedroom is in the front room, combined kitchen and dining in the center with bathroom and w/d hookups to the side and living room to the back. It's also a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I wouldn't wish a taping and painting project like the OP is trying to do on my worst enemy.

I hope you understand how much work you're signing yourself up for.