Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Why yes, this office building is supposed to be a private, single-family residence.

Just imagine how terrible the acoustics must be in this big open room with bare concrete floor:

What 2-story house wouldn't be complete without an elevator?

And let's just put an open fire hazard right in the middle of the stairwell. What could go wrong? The floor is made of concrete, remember?

"1st Bedroom 18.2X24.6" 447.72 square foot bedroom? That bedroom is bigger than my whole apartment. :tviv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Indolent Bastard posted:

But...this is a dead forum...what the heck?

Would you want spooky forum ghosts haunting your youtubes?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

I call this aesthetic "Grandma Gothic"

I don't understand what is going on in this kitchen, but I think I like it.

Why hang a spice rack on the wall when you can carve it into the wall! :black101:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There are tables that take up a tiny amount of space.

There when you want it, but when it's all folded away like that it takes up hardly any room at all. There are lots of variations on this basic design, I like that this one gives you a couple drawers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WYUSCS

You can also get wall mounted tables that fold down to take up no space at all. I think the folding would get annoying though, and you'd end up just leaving it up in which case you might as well have a normal table, or leaving it down and never using it at all.
https://www.amazon.com/Large-Mount-Folding-Table-Inches/dp/B01637GJ6M

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

The garage door is terrible for a dozen reasons, the dazzle camouflage tilework is ugly to me but competently done so whatever, but what the gently caress is the reasoning behind toilets at the top of stairs?

No door on the toilet is dumb and bad, but have these people never been really sick? That toilet is a suicide machine. I have to assume there is some lazy/cheap architectural/plumbing reason for it.

They didn't want to risk cutting into the joists. :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Enfys posted:

That's a double bed :stare: You have to get to poop in front of your partner.

FTFY. :quagmire:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if anyone has started making bespoke artisanal pallets yet? You know, for people who love the pallet esthetic, but don't want dirty used wood in their house.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think you should get funny rugs. Turn your home into a meme palace.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Indolent Bastard posted:

Source your rugs.

IDK, just search "funny rugs" on amazon.

Thug life - https://www.amazon.com/Changyun-Flowers-Doormat-Entrance-Bathroom/dp/B0725TC2R4

https://www.amazon.com/Artsadd-banana-Carpet-Living-Bedroom/dp/B06XHHH6XB

https://www.amazon.com/Yochoice-Non-slip-Hipster-Flowers-Doormats/dp/B071GQ63T5

https://www.amazon.com/JTENGYAO-American-Non-slip-Doormats-Rug-31-4/dp/B072QBZDXV

https://www.amazon.com/ZOEO-Non-slip-Bedroom-Carpets-Doormats/dp/B074FZ554W

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

surf rock posted:

OK, any other advice about what to do with the fireplace? I'm 100% never going to use it, what can I do to make it less conspicuous that won't cost thousands of dollars? I'm completely willing to do something else with it; I just don't know what.

I have no idea how to judge the quality of a brick stain.

Just hang a curtain over it. Maybe one of these curtains.

After a few months of looking at fake barn doors you'll be happy to just have a normal fireplace instead.

On a more serious note, just ignore it. You aren't freaked out about hiding those ugly vents in the wall on the left side of the picture, right? It's just part of the structure of the house. There is a nearly 100% chance that anything you try to do to make it look less like a big rear end brick fireplace is going to be an ugly embarrassment in 10 or 20 years, while the natural brick will be merely 'meh' that whole time.

Put some knick knacks on the mantle. Put a dog bed or some cushions, or a decorative basket of fake flowers or whatever on the hearth. Bam, done! Put in the rest of your furniture and stuff and it probably won't stick out nearly as much as you think it will. Live with it for a year or two, then re-evaluate. The option to paint it or have it torn down and plastered over or whatever will remain. You don't lose anything by waiting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I should just give up and get a cheap set of shelves for my cats to knock poo poo off of.

You have cats? How about going whimsical with a ridiculously fancy cat tree? :v: Cat tree won't block the outlet, plus your cats can sit on it to look out the window.

That doesn't give you extra storage though. I dunno, maybe put a tall skinny set of shelves or drawers right in the corner there?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

Guess the price of this 4,000+sf tacky house:

This is my dream house when I was 8.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This guy probably took the dinette set down to his workshop to refinish it or something. Wait, but then why bring down the rug too?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

Looks like a solidly functional work space, though I would recommend finding a way to hang your rulers.

Beheading is a more traditional choice. Though these days we usually settle for prison.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Southern Heel posted:

OK guys, thank you for your help and advice. PM'ed a couple.

I would actually enjoy taking some time to design out the place myself - I'm conscious of decisions I have to make now, which are going to have big knock-on effects that I feel like I have to be relatively certain going into it. If I could possibly call on some advice for the thread on these structural alterations (assuming building code, safety, etc. is all met - purely from a functional perspective) then I feel as though I can take my time learning and changing myself over time. Any help on the below would be greatly appreciated. EDIT: I appreciate this is less around design, but I feel like having a solid foundation will allow me to ask 'rattan or hemp' at a later date much more freely!

The requirements are in order of preference:
- Create a kitchen diner by opening up the space in the kitchen
- Add an additional bedroom/office to increase resale value in future
- Find a way to move utilities away from the kitchen-diner
- Add a downstairs bathroom

This is the current plan:

My wife would like to ensure there's space for another bedroom, which leads to this rather simple change where we rebuild the non-load bearing wall between the kitchen and dining areas in the original plan before selling up, and putting an RSJ across the kitchen span instead of those arches to make space to place the dining table there. Cabinets for utilities would have to reside against the south-east wall over from the dining table. Structurally this seems the simplest and most direct way - but I'm wary of carving into living space to create another bedroom.

Possibly long term she would like to have the utilities in a separate room, and a downstairs bathroom, so expanded to something like this. I can't help but feel this is a bridge too far - ten times the cost of the intermediate step and only gaining a small footprint. It would be a brand new room (possibly better used as another bedroom? roughly 3m x 3m square) but the cost would likely match any increase in value so seems a zero-sum opportunity either way:

The loft is finished, but only has a 6' apex and as such isn't suitable as a real room - based on conversation with residents and local planning officials it's going to be impossible to get planning permission to heighten the roofline, and adding regular stairs (even space savers) to get there is going to require the removal of the upstairs toilet.

That seems like a really strange place to have a bedroom. Right in the middle of everything is going to be the noisiest part of the house. I suppose it being a bad bedroom doesn't matter if you don't plant to use it as a bedroom and just want to be able to tick an extra bedroom on future real estate listings.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Southern Heel posted:

Aw thanks buddy :) Wife and I really liked it, even though it needs a bit of modernising IMO. I'm really not a fan of the green walls - doing some quick colour swatches in Photoshop however, I'm not sure what WOULD work. Not chopping up LDK, because the K is already separate. I'm thinking of making the K bigger by bashing thru that arched wall - but then not entirely sure what I'd do with the space I've gained in the LD area if I'm not going to use it for a dining table!

In terms of flow it seems like it would make more sense to take out the wall between the kitchen and existing dining area, and extending the kitchen along the wall there. Then the area behind the arches could be used for your new bathroom or whatever. That would mean moving all your counters and cupboards though, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SA has ruined me. I can no longer look at a sunken tub without worrying about the state of the joists. :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 24, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Also what on earth would you guys put in all those bedroom cabinets? I'm thinking of using the long skinny drawers to each hold a single blu-ray from the Fast and Furious franchise.

If you lived in the same house for 30 years eventually all the storage would get full of stuff. Don't throw that out, it's still good, we can reuse that, everything comes back in style eventually.

Plus some stuff just used to take up more space. My grandpa had a whole wall of boxes full slides. Why have photo albums when you can have slides! :haw: I don't know how many hours we spent in that basement watching vacation slide shows as grandma and grandpa um'd and uh'd their way through remember the details of all the pictures. These days the dozens of boxes of slides would all fit on a couple CDs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

Hahahaha, wow. I mean yeah it's awful, but in a way that is totally self-aware, which I think puts it firmly in the realm of "I did this only for myself, consequences be damned" so I guess good job, person, enjoy your thing, you earned it! Like, I don't think it's entirely fair to critique that thing from an interior design standpoint, as that's not the intent of the installation? Or something. v:shobon:v

I agree. It's ridiculous that grown-ups would want to do this to a room, but it's their house and if that's the lifestyle they want good for them. If they aren't going to be throwing any formal dinner parties they don't need a formal dining room.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It would make more sense in a basement tho.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It was a really boring dining room.

You can't wear your wizard hat in a room like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm pretty sure that wizard wall room actually actively blocked a loving WINDOW to put in that monstrosity. I saw it on Imgur and was just floored by what a senseless use of resources that represented.

The red tapestry thing is acting as a curtain, the window is still useable. It was just covered in plastic and tape while they were painting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

I LOVE the tiling. Definitely the style I would go for if I had to renovate a kitchen/bathroom with ugly linoleum.

I like most of Bright Design lab's stuff, though once again I do not understand the appeal of bare concrete floors (in a MCM house, no less). Are they trying to make it look half-finished?

I can't wait for the loving towel ladder trend to end. I admit I know nothing about good design, but those just irk me. These second gen ones built as a towel rack are even worse than the "filthy old ladder brought in the house and repurposed as a towel rack" ones, because at least those were still useful as ladders.

For lols I checked if Ikea is making them, and their version is actually more sensible than most.

Still not useful as a ladder, but it has 4 feet so it won't get knocked over by a waggy dog or curious kid. And it's also a chair, you can sit on it or use the seat as a shelf. Not bad for apartment dwellers who don't have enough bathroom storage but aren't allowed to put up a shelf or towel bar.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vonnegutt posted:

I have this ladder-style shelf in my bathroom (it's actually more of an right-triangle shelf) and it is actually works really well? The bathroom was a long, narrow one with absolutely no storage, and the width made a full-sized shelf or console untenable.

:argh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

12 feet by 4 feet? drat, that's nearly a swimming pool.

It seems a shame to trash it if it holds water, it must have cost a fortune to put it in to begin with. Ponds are cool. But if you don't want to deal with setting up a pond filter and whatnot, I can see how letting it fill with stagnant water become a mosquito pit would be bad.

If you don't care about it, maybe the best thing would be to just put in a couple drainage holes and leave it for later? Filling it with anything is going to be a pretty big job, so letting it sit for a year couldn't hurt. Could be a fire pit, or a garden plot, or a trampoline storage pit. Compost heap. An oubliette for very short enemies. Capybara pool.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I had a trampoline as a kid, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the hole. As it is stone-lined and surrounded by the spiked remains of old stumps
... less attractive an option.

The surrounding trees drop a TON of debris, a lot of which is an utter pain to clean. Part of the issue with cleaning this out was that the bottom was two feet of mucky sediment. I think our local building codes may prohibit outbuildings forward of the main house, unfortunately, as a gazebo-like cover would help a lot.

Two feet of mucky sediment doesn't actually bother koi. At least not as long as you have an aerator to keep it from becoming anoxic mucky sediment. There also wouldn't be quite so much sediment because the koi would eat some of it, they eat all kinds of vegetation and rotted vegetation.

Basically your pond was gross because it was stagnant and 'dead', that's not the natural state of a healthy pond. Adding an aerator and nothing else would go a long way to prevent it from becoming a stinky swampy mess. Some aerators make a little fountain in the middle of the pond, it's cool.

I wonder if some kind of cover made out of netting would be enough to keep most of the leaves and whatnot out, without triggering bylaw enforcement, and still allow you to enjoy having a pond/fountain/water feature.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

learnincurve posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, for your pleasure. The 90s time capsule McMansion.

http://thechive.com/2017/08/29/amazing-90s-crib-for-sale-is-all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips-37-photos/

1. I got to admire their commitment to the colour scheme
2. That pool.
3. I would unironically live In that house and not change a thing so it can be preserved for our great great grandchildren's generation.

Same. Beigification would be a crime.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Get a ceiling fan light, then when you can't sleep you can watch the fan blades go round and round.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cigaw posted:

Granny House kitchen desperately needs updating. Except for the wall-mounted phone with the infinity-cord; that needs to stay.

How so? The fridge and stove are a little bland, I guess, but if they work they work. Is it the red rugs? They don't really match.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Help, the house is eating my toilet! Though I guess that does solve having to mop behind it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is this the orgy room? That seems to be a bed that fold up into the wall, and to the right is another rectangle that looks like a second fold out double bed. Who needs two double beds and a giant sectional?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Or the microwave.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess you had to post this on in interior design rather than crappy construction because the tile work is excellent? That circle is perfect. Dude really committed to that theme.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think it's the same pillar that's behind the fridge in the first shot, just the picture position is different.

Yeah, it seems to be the same size as the pillar by the grandfather clock. But in the second picture that pillar seems to be as close to the sink as the fridge was in the first picture. So either they moved the pillar, or the moved the sink wall.
:psyduck:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peanut posted:

Lol so there is no hidden fridge, is there? That bathroom is very clean and functional but too Japanese hotel.

Could be a half size fridge. Like in a dorm or ... hotel. Maybe the whole point of the reno was to turn a cramped apartment into a desirable AirBnB rental?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Coca Koala posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/345-Wayside-Rd-Portola-Valley-CA-94028/15600940_zpid/

Oh, that looks like an interesting house.

The circular kitchen is a little weird, but okay.

Is that.. the bedroom?

The kitchen, bedroom, and office are three separate buildings. In order to go from the bedroom to the kitchen to make your coffee in the morning, you need to put on shoes. Hopefully it's not one of the rainy days in California.

So, like, the bedrooms need to have exterior door locks? When you go from the bedroom to the kitchen you need to bring your keys? NOPE.

Nice house. To get murdered in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Redeye Flight posted:

Y'all are super cynical. Myself at like age twelve would be indescribably excited to just know that a house like that exists in real life.

That's cool, and someone's going to buy it and live the loving dream.

Yeah great right up until the kid has a nightmare. Can't just cry out for help with the monster under the bed. Nope. Little kid you has to get your keys, get out of bed, go outside, get to Mom and Dad's room, decide you're too old to go crying to mom and dad, turn around and head back to your room, stare in horror when you realize you left your room unlocked and now anything could be in there. You turn to run back to mom and dad's room, but you trip! Your keys go skittering off into the darkness.

But on the plus side you'll never overhear your parents having sex. I guess it all evens out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eh, houses used to have a rumpus room for the kids to watch tv or play ping pong or whatever. Today's kids can watch TV and play flappy bird on their phones in their bedrooms. Now dad gets to convert the old rumpus room into a man cave to watch TV or play ping pong.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Did some digging today, and it turns out there is in fact a slate pathway the whole way to the Portal To Hell in my side yard.

I have not unearthed any stones with runes on them, so I think I am safe for now.

I wonder what happened between the owner that went to all this work and expense, and the owner you bought from who didn't even mention a pond? This must have been a huge project, and then it was just allowed to disappear. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Now some of you may jump to conclusions, but I really want you to give this one a chance because I think it has potential. Especially since it's an HDLC property, meaning the building cannot be torn down without preserving the historically significant exterior.

http://www.latter-blum.com/residential-for-sale/la/new-orleans/70115/315-eleonore-street__3401235

$350,000 seems a little high for an uninhabitable shack that can't be torn down.