Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
This is what my mom does: http://nancyswoodndesigns.com/

Which is only relevant because her first 3 books were published by the same imprint that published Frank and Judy Bilec's "Mosey n Me" books. Frank, my mom, the publisher's wife, and another lady who does primitive Americana designs were their first four artists. Turned out to be an unprofitable shitshow overall, but I did get to meet Frank at a tole painting conference, and he was super nice. Not my style of crafts, but I'm biased toward more detailed and cartoony stuff like my mom designs.

My parents dragged me to every open house and builder showcase in a 1500 mile radius when I was a kid, so I should hate this poo poo, but now that I have my own place I Get It. Gonna try and hit up Street of Dreams in Portland this summer and see if my roommate and I can get more ideas for the house we're looking to purchase next year. Last year was all houses in Lake Osewego. Not sure they can top that this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

WrenP-Complete posted:

Lake Oswego is certainly special.

Edit: That sounds snarkier than I meant it to. Lake Oswego is an interesting mix of houses, in one of the most affluent suburbs of Portland.

Yeah, the racist joke goes, what do you call a black person in Lake Oswego? A Trailblazer. :downs:

I have a cousin who moved to LO. Not wealthy, but reasonably well-to-do. The house they bought has a climate controlled wine cellar that can hold something like 300 bottles and is bigger than my apartment's master bedroom. They weren't really wine people, but since it's there and can't really be repurposed effectively, they've started paying attention to what they stock. They gettin' fancy.

Also, my predatory, unstable former landlady grew up in LO, because her mom owns Pendleton. It explains everything.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I would love to see pictures! I'm always lusting after a Pendleton quilt

The quilts are nice, but the family that owns the Pendelton Woolen Mills are reprehensible, criminal fuckfaces. Buy a used one. They don't deserve your money.

E for top of page content. Have some dry reading on arson and big box stores and other poo poo these people try to pull. Howard Dietrich, Jr. literally got a law degree just to understand how to break the law more effectively. I can't even.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/09/owners_of_thunderbird_hotel_de.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/12/police_offer_1000_to_solve_thu.html
http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-10450-big-box-big-suit.html
http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-33711-thunderbird-hotel-is-multnomah-countys-biggest-property-tax-delinquent.html

In interior design disasters, this fuckface insisted on being the contractor for his daughter's home. He built the bar in the kitchen extra high because he bought chairs he liked and decided to accommodate the chairs, making the bar about collarbone height for the average person. The guy he hired to do the building was a rapist with hep C who couldn't get hired anywhere else, who shat blood in every toilet and refused to flush, and couldn't install anything on a straight line. All the fixtures, like tubs and sinks, were hotel overstock. The tub had jets; they were not hooked up. There was an instant hot water heater, but it was in the basement, and didn't have enough pressure to maintain the hot output for a full shower unless you used one of those industrial water-saving showerheads. Most of that happened because he insisted on blowing the rest of the budget on moving the upstairs en suite bathrooms from one side of the room to the other, which then meant the closets had to go under the slant of the roof, cutting off about 3/4s of the original storage space. Oh, and they had no exhaust vents (this is Portland, it's a loving swamp with pine trees), nor did the walls reach the ceiling, so have fun peeing discretely when guests are in the room.

Since he ran out of money there, he left the basement unfinished with a failed drainage system, so the place flooded in the spring until they slapped a sump pump in the basement and some roof tar on the exterior of the foundation wall. Then he failed to build enough parking spots, because he insisted on having an extra green space that no one ever used. In his infinite creative wisdom, he installed a remote power opener on the rear gate. Since the gate posts weren't sunk into concrete, they rotated under the force of the motor, causing the gate latch to move out of alignment until it couldn't latch at all. Or, if it did latch, it would refuse to let go, which caused all kinds of fun noises and alarms to go off. I eventually just removed the whole loving thing with a socket set and left it unplugged on the outside of the gate until his rapist weirdo builder came to get it.

And then there were the dogs. Not exactly design related, but when you have two or more fully grown pit bulls, you need to take more proactive care of your furniture. She did not. Would also like to point out that this supposed professional dog trainer's dogs literally tore each other to pieces in the basement and had to be put down. That was the 4th time they fought to the point of injury. The 3rd time, the other renter and I had to wrench them apart with our bare hands, shoes, and jiu jitsu skills. I still have sense memories from cleaning up dog blood.

$500 a month for rent is hard to beat, but not under those circumstances.

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 15, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Baronjutter posted:

Brutalist Interiors
I'm strangely attracted to Brutalism when done right. I think a lot of brutalist buildings as a whole fail because they were built in a time of the absolute worst ideas of urban planning and land use and tend to have huge pointless anti-human voids and monumental open spaces. But brutalist elements combined with more contemporary ideas of space can be nice. "brutalism with a human face" or something. I think mostly I'm just a huge sucker for raw and polished concrete.

I'm very fond of concrete, polished and raw, but I think I'd have to add some splashes of color to make the spaces work for me. Just some accents here and there, y'know? Otherwise there's this expanse of Copic Neutral Gray N1 - N9 going on there.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

My grandparents used to decorate their deck in an owl motif, so that's, uh...that's an extra level of terror for me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Is there a way to, say, put a gasket on a barn door like that to make it seal better? And not look like shite?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Not opulent enough. Needs a tiny giraffe.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I like that the clock both matches and doesn't match the a e s t h e t i c

Phy posted:

You know what'd be the finishing touch on this jawn, if we had a bright red shower poof just hanging out on the wall looking like a twenty foot clown in a transporter mishap

The whole bathroom is a transporter mishap.

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 27, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Electric Bugaloo posted:

the theme of this bathroom is “surprise anal”

Close up shop, we've achieved peak thread.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I found some :females: who look like they belong in that bathroom.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Azza Bamboo posted:

There are no studs in this bathroom.

There will never be studs in that bathroom.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Tetracube posted:

sometimes you just wanna shower with your bro, but you can't because it would be gay if you were within 5 feet of him

DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Grinning Goblin posted:

$20,000+ and not a toilet in sight.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

bEatmstrJ posted:

This thread is moving way too fast so I'll probably have to space out my responses to all of your very important questions a bit. Can't wait for the next 200 "Your bathroom is poo poo" posts though... Very constructive guys.

We're well past constructive at this point. Constructive criticism assumes a person is willing to listen to and consider it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

RoboRodent posted:

I thought you were taking your ball and going home?

People in this thread have raised some really serious questions which you've flat out ignored, except to be weird and smug about it. You'll probably ignore this post too, because you tend to do that, but let me try:

1. How was the floor fixed? No, not just "it was done don't worry about it." Actually, what was done, by yourself or a contractor, to fix the damage you did to your floor joists? How does the future owner of this house know that the tub won't fall through the floor?

2. How do you clean the pebble tray? Specifically, what provisions against mould have you made in this room, re: the rock wall in the shower and the pebble tray?

3. Why are you being weird about your toilet? If it isn't done yet, you could have said that.

I mean, if you really want glitter damask wallpaper paired with ultra-modern tapered pebble tub, that's your style, sure, but you came into this thread today looking to show us how wrong we are to have mocked you, and your nose is out of joint because we still don't like it.

He's not gonna answer any of that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

RoboRodent posted:

I know, but I'm giving him the opportunity to prove me wrong.

I mean, I'm the person who posted an I WANT TO BELIEVE meme upthread, and I really hope he does...but so far, any questions of substance have been ignored.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
This entire bathroom is a gallery deserving of Toilets with Threatening Auras, even without the toilet.

Like, bEatmasterJ, I get that you got what you want. What confuses me is why you think it's what other people want.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Why are there surfaces that have wood grain but are also polished to a mirrored gloss?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I recently had to help sell a house with an accidental "statement room," aka a professional recording studio with sound treatment, a 32 track mixing desk, a wall of instrument racks, etc.

It took FOR loving EVER to sell, and the neighbors mentioned repeatedly hearing people walk out after a showing saying, "well, that's DIFFERENT."

Didn't get a single offer until we tore out the studio and restored it to a generic bedroom. And this is a suburb of a city where everyone fancies themselves a musician.

Point being, if this was an attempt to ADD value to the house, it's gonna take a real special realtor with a real special set of potential clients to make up for the WELL THAT'S DIFFERENT factor.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Waiting for the inevitable repost of Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain" for one of his PM'd toilet pics.

Even better if the actual toilet really is just an upended urinal with someone else's name scrawled on it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Who What Now posted:

Man, I wonder where I

Glancing over the page, I thought that was a cup by an MMA equipment company that thinks everything should look like it wants to fight you.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
So, I think we're focusing on the wrong sort of females here. We're thinking of bEatmasterJ getting laid his own self, but he keeps saying it's for :females: who want to influence their male partner's house buying decisions by getting way too sploosh over this bathroom.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

P1h3r1e3d13 posted:

He's got top men on it. TOP MEN!

I know this is from several pages back, but I LOLd and wanted you to know.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I'm the obviously horrified toucan in the background, raising my voice against the coming of the sea witch.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

sneakyfrog posted:

Interior Design Thread: Tasteful Fuckbenches

Someone needs to make this happen.

Just like our friend made fiend holes happen.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

I like that chair on the left, and I like the little nest-able round coffee tables with metal legs. But Scandi Boho sounds like when you shop at Ikea and Pier One on the same day.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

BigFactory posted:

That’s only a multi million dollar house on the coasts. If that’s in Montana or middle of nowhere Tennessee, which it probably is, it’s cheaper.

It might not even be that big.

Can confirm, a million dollar home in MT, especially in a less fancy town like Helena, is the kind of place that has a full sized basketball court in the basement, a heated indoor/outdoor pool, at least two bowling lanes, and probably some kind of aged copper accents on the exterior.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
My living room is also decorated with shipping boxes, but that's because I'm in the middle of packing pre orders for the record label I distribute for, and I'm still waiting on the last batch of merch before I can finally take all this poo poo to the post office.

I COULD make it an a e s t h e t i c, but really, I'd just like to be able to have people over without directing them around the piles of unfolded cardboard.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There isn’t a :chloe: big enough.....

Also, you’re just using words you’ve heard. ‘Postmodern’ architecture is hardly minimalist but keep on flexing with the realtalk

On the upside, post-modern architecture has its own LOL NO aspects
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodern_architecture

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh I know. I try not to ‘hate’ any school of design or art or whatever, but I really don’t love the aesthetics of a lot of postmodern stuff- especially a lot of corporate/government/commercial spaces, especially from the ‘90s-early ‘00s. I’m sure at some point I’ll find it endearing, but for now I can’t divorce it from how obsessed designers/artists/creatives in general got with poo poo like Art Deco and the 1930s and 40s during those years.

Basically. It's like they reacted to modernism by saying, "Let's make everything DIFFERENT," and forgot that there are certain principles that are aesthetically pleasing for a reason. It's like Mannerism following the High Renaissance, they looked at that poo poo and said, "Yeah, but wouldn't it be cool if we just put a weird column over here, and like...just had bodies do, like, whatever? LOL, bones and anatomy and perspective, whatevs."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ikea also has stuff with real veneers that’s good. If you mix and match it in with antiques and pieces from other sources ikea’s really really great for the stuff they do well.

Ikea's quite decent, but remember to disassemble it if you ever have to move it, or it'll disintegrate in transit.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Queen Victorian posted:

Fixed that for you. Slate is for roofs and chalkboards, soapstone is for being chemically impervious to any science/cooking horrors you spill on it.

I just now realized why I've always wanted matte-ish black countertops. Thanks! Putting that on my, "future home options," list.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Ooof, I had an art history professor at Montana State whose research career was focused on Marie Antoinette, and even he would find that place hideous.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Boosh! posted:

Any ideas for window treatment?

Guessing a roll would be the obvious choice since drapes would bunch up / block the AC unit.

I'd do two sets of blinds, one sized for the short and wide space, and one for the tall, narrow space. I recall my mom designed something like that for an oddly shaped daylight basement window in one of our houses. We had to make compromises due to the size of the lot, but it worked.

I think we had to get something sorta custom, tho, and I have no idea what it cost.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

peanut posted:

Nahhh it's just a safari wannabe

Maybe they want to be a safari DJ.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I guess it's more exterior than interior design, but I was out walking today, and it seems that person who couldn't line up tile to save their life is also into building fences.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

luxury handset posted:

is this a living room or a furniture store

It looks like an extremely low budget knock off of the house from The Umbrella Academy.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

value-brand cereal posted:

I like everything about this comfy alcove except. That. You know what that is. It looks like a table, but it just isn't. What the christ is that. Like tumorous inverted intestinal linings, but made into a table and also it's made of minerals. Imagine hitting your bare leg against that. You'd shear the skin off. It would deglove you, in a way.

That table just reminded me to schedule a colonoscopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Seems inexpensive for a high school science building.